blindedbyscience wrote:the photo of him did indeed look like an older version of the person I knew in college. I just dug through an old box of photo albums and found 3 photos with John in them. All 3 were taken in my dorm room. Two are from 1982, and one is from 1983, as per the date stamps on the back of each photo. I scanned these together on my printer and have not made any edits to them other than the overall contrast. Whether he is dead or alive, I know that he is (or at least was) a real flesh and blood person. As I recall, a pretty good kisser too. John is in all 3 photos... The other 2 guys are Doug Schmitt (center of photo on lower left) who is also from New Jersey, and Mike Cheek who is from Nashville, TN. I was in touch with Mike on Facebook a couple of years ago, but I've never been able to track down Doug Schmitt.
1. Who is credited as "taking" these "photos"?
2. In what context were the two similar round-cornered "photos" (presented here as a "scan") "taken", and why should we believe you selected two similar photos randomly from an entire box?
3. What "photo of him
" are you referring to? What web site?
4. What room were you in, in what building, with what address, at what times?
5. Who else was in the dorm (besides your other characters of your story) who can verify your location and story?
6. Why have you neglected to mention all of this crucial information until now?
7. Can you share the details of your photobucket account that you are using to display these images? Have you gotten permission from any of the "pictured" to see if they're okay being scrutinized on a forum that specifically seeks to unravel fake pictures?
1. I took the photos.
2. The photos with the rounded edges were taken and processed at the same time. The other one was a year later. I do have a Kodak Disc wheel of negatives, although I'm not sure if the rounded photos or the squared off one are on this disc. All three of these photos were in a photo album that I put together in college.
3. The web site I was referring to was http://www.cantorfamilies.com/cantor/jsp/tribute.jsp?ID=4296
This one was up in 2003, which is when I learned about John.
4. Location was Room 222, second floor Traer Hall at Oglethorpe University. I resided in that particular dorm room from January 1982 through end of school year 1983. http://www.oglethorpe.edu/campus_life/resources/residence_life/residence_halls/traer_hall.asp
5. Julie Quickmire (my room mate), Kelli Hiatt, LeAnne Cox, Nell Somers, Debbie Morgan, Scott Einbinder, Mike Rathjens, Adam Petty, Eric Drick, and Lesa Shade are a few that come to mind quickly. I'm FB friends with LeAnne, Nell, Debbie, Scott and Mike. They all went to Oglethorpe and would recognize the people and place and verify the years. Also, Keith Aufderheide, the Associate Provost at Oglethorpe was my Chemistry professor and would know all of these people and verify the location and time.
6. I didn't "neglect" anything. The fact that this person that wasn't debunked anywhere on this forum actually provided credence to the story that you guys are telling. If I had found his photo on this forum with claims that he was "made up", I wouldn't have joined this forum.
7. I won't share the photo bucket site on this forum publicly, but I will be glad to share it with you and Simon, privately. I haven't spoken to anyone directly regarding this site and the sharing of the photos. As I mentioned, I can't find Doug Schmitt... I can get in touch with Mike Cheek through FB. I'm sure he'll verify the photos. I was a sophomore in college, my roommate and John, Mike and Doug were all Freshmen when these photos were taken. I wasn't concerned about what you would say, as the photos and the people in them are real, and documented as well as an early 1980's Kodak Instamatic and/or Kodak Disc camera could do.
It just occurred to me to post the photos on my Facebook page... Simon, I sent you a friend request. I'll tag all of the people I mentioned above that I'm friends with on FB, and you can watch as their comments come in, if you want.
*Edited for a couple of words in answer 2 where my fingers moved faster than my brain... "the the" was changed to "with the"; "sure the rounded" was changed to "sure if the rounded".