Corporations ads reminding us of 9/11

All other news and developments related to 9/11
nonhocapito

Corporations ads reminding us of 9/11

Unread post by nonhocapito »

Vigilant Citizen points out a new horrific commercial ad by Visa, showing once again humankind as a mass of coordinated individuals that must do everything alike otherwise the world goes to pieces (which is the whole new morality of this age I guess, spelled out to the masses by TV back in the 90s with the creation of the show "big brother", where the non-conformist kids are "eliminated"...)

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3xStKYjQKc
From http://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/v ... ss-society

Anyway, this was only to note how the last tag price showed at the end of the ad is "11.90".

Sigh. Will they ever stop submitting us those numbers....? especially when they need to hint to the "brave new world" we are now supposed to live in?
Dcopymope
Banned

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by Dcopymope »

nonhocapito wrote:Vigilant Citizen points out a new horrific commercial ad by Visa, showing once again humankind as a mass of coordinated individuals that must do everything alike otherwise the world goes to pieces (which is the whole new morality of this age I guess, spelled out to the masses by TV back in the 90s with the creation of the show "big brother", where the non-conformist kids are "eliminated"...)

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3xStKYjQKc
From http://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/v ... ss-society

Anyway, this was only to note how the last tag price showed at the end of the ad is "11.90".

Sigh. Will they ever stop submitting us those numbers....? especially when they need to hint to the "brave new world" we are now supposed to live in?
It’s just them taunting us like a serial killer taunting the police, they love to brag; it’s typical of a psychopath, someone who is pure ego. If you haven't read the book "Brave New World", then I can tell you that it will probably be the most disturbing book you'll ever read. Out of all the legion of doom material I’ve read that these psychos publish, Brave New World was the one book that really made me feel uncomfortable; it was very hard to read through. Only a psychopathic control freak like Aldous Huxley could write the kind of stuff that he wrote in that book. The book will give you a very clear picture of what the Brave New World Order will look like when all is said and done. It’s completely different than the world you are living in now.
SmokingGunII

Holland & Barratt UK ad & 9/11

Unread post by SmokingGunII »

Tonight I saw the latest UK ad for "health store" chain, Holland & Barratt. What struck me was the blatant number above the shop entrance 9-11. :huh: Not content with this subliminal message the closing date for the special offer featured ends on 01.09.11 and this was indicated on screen, too.

WHY would a UK health chain choose to use this numerology? Wickedpedia gave the answer: The company was purchased by the CARLYLE group in 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_%26_Barrett
nonhocapito

Re: Holland & Barratt UK ad & 9/11

Unread post by nonhocapito »

It would be great to have a link to a video or a screenshot. In any case on their website, what I think is the same campaign (although I haven't seen their commercial obviously, since I don't live in the UK and I don't have a TV :D) is indicated to expire on the midnight of august 31st rather than on the 1st of september. Strange. Maybe the "subliminal message" (or whatever it is) is valid only via TV?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... nkpos=row2

[since this "9/11 reminding" business on part of the corporations is probably a frequent occurrence, I thought we could merge two recent findings together and start a more general thread on the subject, where we collect similar cases as we approach the 10th anniversary.]
fbenario

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by fbenario »

Dcopymope wrote:Out of all the legion of doom material I’ve read that these psychos publish, Brave New World was the one book that really made me feel uncomfortable; it was very hard to read through. Only a psychopathic control freak like Aldous Huxley could write the kind of stuff that he wrote in that book. The book will give you a very clear picture of what the Brave New World Order will look like when all is said and done.
Excellent points.

These comparisons of Orwell and Huxley make a strong case for Huxley's dystopia already beginning to control the Western World, rather than Orwell's.
Comparisons with George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four

Social critic Neil Postman contrasts the worlds of Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World in the foreword of his 1985 book Amusing Ourselves to Death. He writes:

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that our desire will ruin us.

Journalist Christopher Hitchens, who has himself published several articles on Huxley and a book on Orwell, notes the difference between the two texts in the introduction to his 1999 article "Why Americans Are Not Taught History":

We dwell in a present-tense culture that somehow, significantly, decided to employ the telling expression "You're history" as a choice reprobation or insult, and thus elected to speak forgotten volumes about itself. By that standard, the forbidding dystopia of George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four already belongs, both as a text and as a date, with Ur and Mycenae, while the hedonist nihilism of Huxley still beckons toward a painless, amusement-sodden, and stress-free consensus. Orwell's was a house of horrors. He seemed to strain credulity because he posited a regime that would go to any lengths to own and possess history, to rewrite and construct it, and to inculcate it by means of coercion. Whereas Huxley ... rightly foresaw that any such regime could break but could not bend. In 1988, four years after 1984, the Soviet Union scrapped its official history curriculum and announced that a newly authorized version was somewhere in the works. This was the precise moment when the regime conceded its own extinction. For true blissed-out and vacant servitude, though, you need an otherwise sophisticated society where no serious history is taught.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World
SmokingGunII

Re: Corporations ads reminding us of 9/11

nonhocapito wrote:It would be great to have a link to a video or a screenshot. In any case on their website, what I think is the same campaign (although I haven't seen their commercial obviously, since I don't live in the UK and I don't have a TV :D) is indicated to expire on the midnight of august 31st rather than on the 1st of september. Strange. Maybe the "subliminal message" (or whatever it is) is valid only via TV?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... nkpos=row2

[since this "9/11 reminding" business on part of the corporations is probably a frequent occurrence, I thought we could merge two recent findings together and start a more general thread on the subject, where we collect similar cases as we approach the 10th anniversary.]

Next time I see it Nonho, I will pause the TV and take a pic of the two moments - it was definitely "offer ends 01.09.11". The 9-11 above the shop entrance was the most obvious it made me rewind and look again. I did check out Youtube for a video to link to but why would it be there?

Wasn't sure where to post this so good to see you have made the thread open to all corporations.
pov603

Unread post by pov603 »

http://www.tellyads.com/show_movie.php?filename=TA12910

This has an ad with the shop in question [9-11] but you have to be quick at the start to see.
Not sure if this is the same ad as you are on about as i don't get UK tv where i am.
SmokingGunII

pov603 wrote:http://www.tellyads.com/show_movie.php?filename=TA12910

This has an ad with the shop in question [9-11] but you have to be quick at the start to see.
Not sure if this is the same ad as you are on about as i don't get UK tv where i am.

That's the same "shop", pov, but an old ad!

I think I saw it watching the USPGA last night, so hopefully it will be on again tonight. :)
pov603

Unread post by pov603 »

@SmokingGunII
They're obviously reminding us to get our 'vits' before the next terrorists' attacks else we get scurvy or worse, dandruff... :blink:
SmokingGunII

Finally stumbled upon ad again!

Number over door and offer ending date bottom right. One could add that the two columns of ceiling lights inside the store represent the two towers, but maybe that's stretching it? <_<
grav

Unread post by grav »

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0J6Jc7s084
marilynthomson9

Unread post by marilynthomson9 »

The topics discussing is one of the necessary topics about advertisements. The advertisements remain unchanged in the format of 9/11, as it is the most used and using one. Most of the companies played it safe, taking a somber approach. But the tenth anniversary is risky. One of the farms brought some mew steps to use instead of this sad old number. The new approach consists of total six steps for better improvement of the ads. Observing and Reflecting the Market with positive voice and the spirit of a city and a nation that emerged from the dust and smoke more connected to the values that makes us where we are.

philanthropic advice

social entrepreneurship
burningame

Unread post by burningame »

marilynthomson9 wrote:The topics discussing is one of the necessary topics about advertisements. The advertisements remain unchanged in the format of 9/11, as it is the most used and using one. Most of the companies played it safe, taking a somber approach. But the tenth anniversary is risky. One of the farms brought some mew steps to use instead of this sad old number. The new approach consists of total six steps for better improvement of the ads. Observing and Reflecting the Market with positive voice and the spirit of a city and a nation that emerged from the dust and smoke more connected to the values that makes us where we are
This post is nonsensical and looks like a contender for the "most incomprehensible post" award. Due to your atrocious errors in grammar and syntax, noone can understand what the hell you're on about. When you learn to construct a sentence, get back to us.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Burningame wrote:
marilynthomson9 wrote:The topics discussing is one of the necessary topics about advertisements. The advertisements remain unchanged in the format of 9/11, as it is the most used and using one. Most of the companies played it safe, taking a somber approach. But the tenth anniversary is risky. One of the farms brought some mew steps to use instead of this sad old number. The new approach consists of total six steps for better improvement of the ads. Observing and Reflecting the Market with positive voice and the spirit of a city and a nation that emerged from the dust and smoke more connected to the values that makes us where we are
This post is nonsensical and looks like a contender for the "most incomprehensible post" award. Due to your atrocious errors in grammar and syntax, noone can understand what the hell you're on about. When you learn to construct a sentence, get back to us.
That's coz it's robot spam!
lux

Unread post by lux »

Is that a typical street address in the UK? With a hyphen, I mean.

It's not typical in USA.
Last edited by lux on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.