The Shard - London

All other news and developments related to 9/11
DeeJay

The Shard - London

Unread post by DeeJay »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... world.html

Another iconic building virtually empty, just begging for demolition. Nobody living in it, no offices, just a restaurant and the upper 5 stories for a viewing gallery... Could we be in for another made-for-TV blockbuster?!

Growing up at last...

DeeJay

hoi.polloi

Re: The Shard - London

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

I guess the problem with modern attempts at the pyramids is that they are hollow, falsely felt, egotistical, capitalistic advertisements for themselves — symbols of nothing but hubris — instead of the incredible storage vaults of knowledge and science that the original pyramids were in addition to their arrogant purposes.

But if the purpose of a system is what it does, haughty arrogance, detachment from reality and confidence built on nothing less than the deliberate, muffled rape, destruction and dismemberment of real cultures would be the mode of our modern civilization, wouldn't it?

London is about as shallow and false as it gets. Congratulations, Anglos! Give yourself a big old pat on the back. You don't deserve it, but it keeps the illusion alive.
idschmyd

Unread post by idschmyd »

Perhaps the pyramid is cheap and easy to drop safely in a crowded space.

Hoi: well put! Hoorah from Madrid, with its plum line of competitive (though losing) self advertising vacuosities. A couple of years ago I used to meet a client on the 50th floor of one them, ranking body of the construction company. He was a loveable guy, as it goes; we lamented the plight of Iraqis and such. Several times he practised the lingo by explaining the columns were not steel, but reinforced concrete, specifically because of the weaknesses of steel construction brought to light in NY. Twice drew me pencil diagrams to explain that whoever brought those ‘towers’ down knew exactly where to hit them…

I worry about engineering today.
Maat

Unread post by Maat »

The "Shard" eh, sounds like shart to me :P

Oh well, they've supposedly got about 2 years to get some tenants before they have to start paying the "annual business rates of up to £12 million."

I like the irony though:
The building, at London Bridge station, was financed by the oil-rich gulf state of Qatar, which has wide interests in Britain, with stakes in Sainsbury’s, Harrods, the Canary Wharf development and Barclays Bank, among others.