Patrick Moore dies

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
icarusinbound

Patrick Moore dies

Unread post by icarusinbound »

Sir Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore, CBE, FRS, FRAS (4 March 1923 - 9 December 2012), who provided much of the BBC narration for the Apollo TV coverage, died today.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20657939 wrote: British astronomer and broadcaster Sir Patrick Moore has died, aged 89, his friends and colleagues have said.

He "passed away peacefully at 12:25 this afternoon" at his home in Selsey, West Sussex, they said in a statement.

Sir Patrick presented the BBC programme The Sky At Night for over 50 years, making him the longest-running host of the same television show ever.

He wrote dozens of books on astronomy and his research was used by the US and the Russians in their space programmes.

Described by one of his close friends as "fearlessly eccentric", Sir Patrick was notable for his habit of wearing a monocle on screen and his idiosyncratic style.

Sir Patrick presented the first edition of The Sky at Night on 24 April 1957. He last appeared in an episode broadcast on Monday.

A statement by his friends and staff said: "After a short spell in hospital last week, it was determined that no further treatment would benefit him, and it was his wish to spend his last days in his own home, Farthings, where he today passed on, in the company of close friends and carers and his cat Ptolemy.

"Over the past few years, Patrick, an inspiration to generations of astronomers, fought his way back from many serious spells of illness and continued to work and write at a great rate, but this time his body was too weak to overcome the infection which set in, a few weeks ago.

"He was able to perform on his world record-holding TV programme The Sky at Night right up until the most recent episode .

"His executors and close friends plan to fulfil his wishes for a quiet ceremony of interment, but a farewell event is planned for what would have been Patrick's 90th birthday in March 2013."

Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore was born at Pinner, Middlesex on 4 Mar 1923.

Heart problems meant he spent much of his childhood being educated at home and he became an avid reader. His mother gave him a copy of GF Chambers' book, The Story of the Solar System, and this sparked his lifelong passion for astronomy.

Sir Patrick Moore was the voice of the space age.

When war came he turned down a place at Cambridge and lied about his age to join the RAF, serving as a navigator with Bomber Command and rising to the rank of Flight Lieutenant.

But the war brought him a personal tragedy after his fiancee, Lorna, was killed when an ambulance she was driving was hit by a bomb. He never married.

Sir Patrick, who had a pacemaker fitted in 2006 and received a knighthood in 2001, won a Bafta for services to television and was a honorary fellow of the Royal Society.

He was a member of the UK Independence party and, briefly, the finance minister for the Monster Raving Loony Party, and attracted some controversy for his outspoken views on Europe and immigration.

His other TV credits include the role of Gamesmaster in the 1990s computer games show of the same name.

BBC science correspondent Pallab Ghosh said Sir Patrick's appearance sometimes aroused as much comment as his astronomy: "He was six-foot-three, and was once described as having 'an air of donnish dishevelment', with his raised eyebrow, scarcely-brushed hair and poorly-fitting suits.

"His enthusiasm was unstoppable, and on occasions he would talk at 300 words a minute."

Queen guitarist Brian May, who published a book on astronomy written with Sir Patrick, described him as a "dear friend, and a kind of father figure to me".
simonshack
Administrator

Re: Patrick Moore dies

Unread post by simonshack »

Sir Patrick Moore's top lifetime contribution to expose NASA's lies:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh0y6xPZJhc

The best part of this infamous press conference is when goofy Collins interjects: "I don't remember seeing any (stars)". Of course, Collins is meant to have been piloting the command ship (the poor devil supposedly "circling the moon for 22 hours", waiting for his moondancing comrades to return) and therefore, to have NEVER set foot on the moon! How ironic then (since he was notoriously a quiet man of few words) that, of the three Apollo 11 asstronot clowns - it is Collins who most deserves the "SHUT UP, STOOPID Award"...

From the New York Times - July 21, 1969: https://www.nytimes.com/learning/genera ... /0720.html
"The landing craft from the Apollo 11 spaceship was scheduled to remain on the moon about 22 hours, while Colonel Collins of the Air Force, the third member of the Apollo 11 crew, piloted the command ship, Columbia, in orbit overhead."

The rest of Moore's life was, sad to say, just an ongoing practical joke for TV entertainment. Rest In sPace, Sir Patrick! <_<
“I would love to have gone into space as a professional astronaut,” he says. “I have no chance now but it is amazing how we have come on. New discoveries are being made all the time. We are always updating. There is a hell of a lot to do.”

He is equally excited by the rover, Curiosity, which has sent data and pictures from Mars: “I wonder what they will find. I hope they find life on Mars. I am 50/50.”

He is boyish in his enthusiasm for skydiver Felix Baumgartner, who recently broke the sound barrier: “I thought, ohhhhhhhhh!” he chuckles, as his eyes widen."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/354 ... ldest-star
This planet of ours needs to send more of these old farts into outer space...

More about Moore here: http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p2374393