Russian Meteor Shower 15-2-2013

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
Dcopymope
Banned

Re: Russian Meteor Shower 15-2-2013

Unread post by Dcopymope »

edgewaters wrote:
rusty wrote:Source: Wikedpedia, it must be correct!
Must it? More correct than what everyone's eyes can see for themselves when they look up to a mountaintop?

You still fail to explain this simple fact.
The only way we can know for sure ourselves what the temperature is at 100km or more above sea level is to throw up a hot air balloon with a thermometer or something. Doing something like this would be the only way to put an end to this bickering for good. Since you guys are so concerned about the temperature, then one of you should carry out this experiment and post it on YouTube.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Dcopymope wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
rusty wrote:Source: Wikedpedia, it must be correct!
Must it? More correct than what everyone's eyes can see for themselves when they look up to a mountaintop?

You still fail to explain this simple fact.
The only way we can know for sure ourselves what the temperature is at 100km or more above sea level is to throw up a hot air balloon with a thermometer or something. Doing something like this would be the only way to put an end to this bickering for good. Since you guys are so concerned about the temperature, then one of you should carry out this experiment and post it on YouTube.
True.
lux

Unread post by lux »

A hot air balloon? To 100km altitude? :unsure:
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Wait -- Truly impossible!? :lol:
edgewaters

Unread post by edgewaters »

They have balloons they send to the upper atmosphere for weather observations, near space photography etc. You can buy one and send up whatever payload you like (up to a certain weight). Altimeter (to be sure it went that high), thermometer, and something wireless with an encrypted signal (so you can get the results and be sure they're not tampering) that can survive extreme conditions ought to do the trick. $400 seems to get you up about 35 km. It's not 100km but I would think that at 35km it would start getting pretty warm or cold, as the case may be.

I believe they use lighter-than-air gasses rather than heated air.
rusty

Unread post by rusty »

rusty wrote: Source: Wikedpedia, it must be correct!
I should have put a smiley on this phrase, though I thought it was obvious enough. Of course these might as well be fantasy figures, since we could not find solid evidence of any earthly object traveling higher than 50km so far. However, the graph indicates that temperature rises somewhat above 20km, and this is most likely the finding of many weather balloon measurements. But, true, you never know for sure until you make your own experiments.
lux

Unread post by lux »

Media now saying "scientists" have determined where the meteor came from and they expect more hitting Earth soon (as if we couldn't see that story coming).

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02 ... d%3D158061
Unfortunately, this likely means that it won't be the last threatening space rock to pass nearby - in fact it's certain than more will strike the Earth relatively soon (in cosmic terms).
Obviously time to give NASA more money to protect us. :rolleyes:
Dcopymope
Banned

lux wrote:Media now saying "scientists" have determined where the meteor came from and they expect more hitting Earth soon (as if we couldn't see that story coming).

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02 ... d%3D158061
Unfortunately, this likely means that it won't be the last threatening space rock to pass nearby - in fact it's certain than more will strike the Earth relatively soon (in cosmic terms).
Obviously time to give NASA more money to protect us. :rolleyes:
"Russian Meteorite's Origin Traced To Deadly Apollo Asteroid Cluster"
Its interesting that they call it the Apollo cluster. I'll call it the Apollyon cluster.
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

Dcopymope wrote:Its interesting that they call it the Apollo cluster. I'll call it the Apollyon cluster.
We should refer to it hereon as "the Apollo cluster-f**k".
Dcopymope
Banned

fbenario wrote:
Dcopymope wrote:Its interesting that they call it the Apollo cluster. I'll call it the Apollyon cluster.
We should refer to it hereon as "the Apollo cluster-f**k".
The angel of the bottomless pit seems to be a fan favorite of these heathens. We even see the symbolism at the 9/11 memorial site as shown in the link below. If it were totally up to them, assuming it isn't, everything would be a homage to Apollyon. It truly is becoming what I will call a satanic cluster fuck. No matter where I look, I see it, at an increasing rate. I'm sure if Apollyon were to literally show up they'll be falling all over it asking for its autograph like the little fan boys they really are.

Link: http://cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f= ... 5#p2376055
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

Dcopymope wrote:I'm sure if Apollyon were to literally show up they'll be falling all over it asking for its autograph like the little fan boys they really are.
You are definitely right about that!

The Clash, White Man In Hammersmith Palais:
The new groups are not concerned
With what there is to be learned
They got Burton suits, ha you think it's funny
Turning rebellion into money
All over people changing their votes
Along with their overcoats
If Adolf Hitler flew in today
They'd send a limousine anyway
Dcopymope
Banned

fbenario wrote:
Dcopymope wrote:I'm sure if Apollyon were to literally show up they'll be falling all over it asking for its autograph like the little fan boys they really are.
You are definitely right about that!

The Clash, White Man In Hammersmith Palais:
The new groups are not concerned
With what there is to be learned
They got Burton suits, ha you think it's funny
Turning rebellion into money
All over people changing their votes
Along with their overcoats
If Adolf Hitler flew in today
They'd send a limousine anyway
Hey look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Ubermensch, the man of steel!!!
In fact, I'm sure the whole world would want his autograph, and will bow before him in utter admiration. Who knows, maybe even a Pope John Paul II resurrection or something would do it.
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

NASA/JPL ( http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/aster ... 30215.html ) suggest that the meteor trying to land in Russia had a mass of 10 000 tons or 10 000 000 kg with arrival velocity 18 000 m/s. That corresponds to kinetic energy of 1 620 000 GJ, i.e. quite a lot of energy, but luckily friction and turbulence stopped the meteor in a record 32.5 seconds in the atmosphere and it all 10 000 000 kg of something became smoke and some tiny bits that made a hole in a frozen lake. The meteor didn’t have a heat shield or a suitable parachute so it could land in one piece. Imagine what NASA/JPL know! :rolleyes: