"We faked the lunar landings to bankrupt the Soviet Union"

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
nonhocapito

"We faked the lunar landings to bankrupt the Soviet Union"

Unread post by nonhocapito »

(I am making a new thread of this because I can't find an open thread on the Apollo missions. I thought there was one but maybe I am mistaken.)

Anyway, what follows (until youtube should decide to take it down for copyright infringement) is an extract from the movie "Interstellar". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R62CKv2FYM

Here's a transcript of the scene:
But she's been having a little trouble lately.
She brought this in to show the other students.
The section on the lunar landings.

Yeah, it's one of my old textbooks.
She always loved the pictures.

It's an old federal textbook.
We've replaced them with the corrected versions.

Corrected?

-Explaining how the Apollo missions were faked to bankrupt the Soviet Union.

You don't believe we went to the Moon?

I believe it was a brilliant piece of propaganda; that the Soviets bankrupted themselves pouring resources into rockets and other useless machines.

Useless machines?

And if we don't want a repeat of the excess and wastefulness of the 20th century then we need to teach our kids about this planet. Not tales of leaving it.
Nothing strange with Hollywood stirring the pot and adding to the confusion.

However I find the explanation as to why Apollo was faked interesting, "to bankrupt the Soviet Union" (implying that the cold war was all in all real, and that the Soviet Union was not also faking its own space missions.)

Assuming the least negative explanation here, or the most patriotic one, are the Hollywood peons testing to see how people would take this version of the "conspiracy", in case they should come up with a good story tomorrow?

Or is the little amount of poison really concentrated in the last sentence, where the dreamy hollywoodian myth of Apollo is contrasted with a more earthly, concrete, constructive approach that humanity might want to take back? No surprise that Hollywood is with the "tales"; but interesting that they feel the need to say it. I like to think this is because they feel that people are getting disengaged with these kinds of myths, no matter how they push them.

(the rest of the movie is shit, BTW)
Critical Mass

Re: "We faked the lunar landings to bankrupt the Soviet Unio

Unread post by Critical Mass »

I think they've been preparing a few final, 'last-stand', defensive positions recently.

I saw an episode of the new revamped 'Sherlock Holmes' last year. In it the British & American governments faked a terrorist attack on a passenger plane loaded with vicsims. The idea was to fool the terrorists into thinking that they had successfully carried out their evil scheme attack... so that they wouldn't try again!

I suspect in time all of their 'big operations' will have such positions... sure guys the Nukes might be fake but we helped secure world peace... so no problemo.