Vue 11: latest rendering capabilities (for the consumer)

Questions, speculations & updates on the techniques and nature of media fakery
nonhocapito

Vue 11: latest rendering capabilities (for the consumer)

Unread post by nonhocapito »

This is a video recently posted by "The Faking Hoaxer".
It is made with the latest version of a rendering software called "Vue" (incidentally, version 11).
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsxsDwFj6nE

Everything is computer-generated in this video. The author labels this "very dangerous software in the wrong hands", but it is a coy comment. We know (and he knows) this has been "in the wrong hands" for quite a long time. The only difference is that such a level is now available to anyone, or at least to anyone willing to put enough knowledge, time and money into it.
On one hand, this could almost be good news, in the sense that with time a more compelling perception of the real depths of fakery could reach a wider public (at least the one educated in computer technology and video techniques). On the other, it can be discouraging to think how difficult it is becoming to pinpoint rendering flaws.
simonshack
Administrator

Re: Vue 11: latest rendering capabilities (for the consumer)

Unread post by simonshack »

Yeah - the problem still left to solve seems to be how to make the camera panning and focusing look more realistic - as if shot / performed by a real, fallible human being. But..."Vue 11" ? Omg.

Remember this one, Nonho? It's from 2008 - or thereabouts:

DEATH STAR OVER SAN FRANCISCO

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfqDVP_0O0c
SmokingGunII

Unread post by SmokingGunII »

As clever as the video is, Nonho, none of the planes have an authentic look about them. There's something that isn't quite right. They actually look computer generated - too clean and slick.

I don't know if you see it the same as I do but if you put this video against real plane footage it would look totally different- I think it is the way the light would bounce off the body? One thing that 3d software doesn't like is complicated light/reflection algorythms.

That said - it's a big improvement on what they gave us on 9/11. ;)
nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

I agree that the video is far from perfect, but it seems to me that the imperfections can be attributed to the execution more than to the limits of the software. Certain details, like foliage, atmospheric effects and such, are clear indicators, i think, of how far advanced is this technology -- while the movement of the planes or the pan work with the camera is merely a problem of editing.

Simon, about that video with the death star: that's real footage of San Francisco with a 3d model superimposed. What I posted above is, if we want to believe TFH, 100% fake: this includes scenery, trees, clouds and planes. As I said at that point it become almost irrelevant if the planes or the camerawork aren't perfect, that's just a matter of better editing and directing.
The point is that this kind of software is today capable to create entirely artificial worlds and make them believable and movie-like.
Well, probably old news but maybe it was not unworthy reminding us.

About the software being of version 11. I know it sounds weird and absurd, but I noticed that a significant amount of very popular software programs available to the public reached version 11 during or right after the 10th anniversary of 9/11 (including Vegas and Opera for example). I also noticed several instances of versions "9.11" or "19.11" coming out, even among minor and independent software. I failed to take note of all of them so I never posted about it -- and it's probably just paranoia. But still weird. :)