Astrophysics Photography in Old Books

Questions, speculations & updates on the techniques and nature of media fakery
dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

Sometimes I like to do some deep research, which is a Batman way of saying I browse op shops, garage sales, markets and second hand stores for books. I find some very interesting material sometimes and plenty of cheap old-school sci-fi.

I suppose there must be at least two forms of documentation and propaganda, covert and mass, with a kind of ratio gradient for levels of control. So when I say mass, I mean the stuff they wanted everyone to be familiar with and reach a consensus on.

I have made some real discoveries over the years. Does anyone remember 'Alternative three?

Today I found one in an unsorted box of stuff:

THE ASTRONAUTS
The first 25 years of manned space flight.
Author Bill Yenne
Printed 87, first published 86

190 pages of photos that could not have been doctored or altered since printing date.

After watching the video of past and present Russian launches from the same launch pad posted in another thread, I wondered if there was a VHS version around so we could see if it wasn't a sneaky bit of historical revision coming down the 'tube.' I then wondered how much could be gleaned by a comparison with the past that is actually old, and compare it to the 'new old' that is a modern reproduction, or copy.

Books can't be altered, by any known technology ;) so we can be assured that they can be reliably compared to newer versions of the same thing (then again, they could seed op shops with new, altered printings of old books with the same dates.) They are much higher resolution, internet being 72 dots per inch, print much higher, this image showing the difference in resolution between internet graphics and 300 ppi print quality. That means a scanner and a PC becomes a zoom, in effect, making these very large images.

What we call 'high res' or 'high definition' is just the high end of the digital low and real film footage will always contain more information, even in colors.

Problem is, if I find anything interesting, anyone could say my photo of it on the internet could be a fake :wacko: so I wanted to let others know in case they own, or can acquire, a copy. That way we will have two witness'.

I won't post till my scanners operational and I can get really good images.

I have another one, same era, on the Soviet program, rockets galore! So I can compare techniques between 'evil empires' as well. If anyone's interested I can dig it out and post the details.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

It's a good idea. I've changed the title to be more on topic with your line of reasoning, maybe, if I'm gathering what you're talking about. Please do watch your spelling. For example, I am unfamiliar with grammar that would have you write witness' rather than witnesses. Is that an Aussie thing? You can download free spell checkers and get them integrated into your browser.

Back on topic, I would strongly urge you to consider the fact you've already mentioned: scans can be simulated, books as well. So in order for any reader to confirm your book, they would have to verify for themselves the books' existence, reality and legitimacy.

Having said that, it is probably safe to say your scans will be sort of useless anyway because of just how much scanners rob from the original quality. However, if you do find a photo online which has been modified from the original, then it would be useful for you to save the new one to your hard drive, and repost it here with a scan of the old version to show some proof of forgery.