The probability of simulated model entities in TV & adverts

Questions, speculations & updates on the techniques and nature of media fakery
icarusinbound

Re: The probability of simulated model entities in TV & adve

Unread post by icarusinbound »

Simon, apologies, you are correct. I misidentified the mass-marketed glasses.

Would anyone else agree that Snowdon's chin-stubble seems to lead.... equally, from our left as well as our right? (as viewed). The chiaroscuro roll-off from a curved face just isn't there.

It's as if the stubble has a layer, and a flat overlife, of it's own.
edgewaters

Unread post by edgewaters »

Eyewear asylum now ... hmm .. just how long has he been without the nosepad? When did we first see Snowden? The fellow who spotted this said he's been without them for a month but it looks more like he's been without them for quite a bit longer. The pic on wikipedia is supposed to be a screencap from an interview in June of 2013, over a year ago. As an eyeglass wearer, it's unthinkable. It would be like letting your nose drip for a whole year without once trying to wipe it.

Going by wikipedia, again, it sure seems Snowden could afford to get a new pair of glasses:

"I don't live in absolute secrecy," he says. "I live a pretty open life—but at the same time I don't want to be a celebrity." He does not work for a Russian organization, yet is financially secure thanks to substantial savings from his years as a well-paid contractor and more recently numerous awards and speaking fees from around the world.

So, it can't be chalked up to lack of money or an inability to venture out into public. Except in the sense that cartoon characters can't venture out into public.
Houdini

Unread post by Houdini »

His creators named him Snowden because they want to "snow them", i.e. the public.

If anyone is a simulated model, it's that Zuckerberg character who is allegedly the young mastermind behind Facebook.
bostonterrierowner

Unread post by bostonterrierowner »

Houdini wrote:His creators named him Snowden because they want to "snow them", i.e. the public.
Good catch, I didn't know this idiom :

"A person who snows someone can be: someone who sounds like someone who knows what they're talking about, but doesn't actually have the knowledge."

They laugh at our faces
pov603

Unread post by pov603 »

This got me thinking about the meaning of the name Snowden and what it conjures up.
My initial thought was 'Igloo', which is of course a 'Den' to protect you from the 'Snow'.
Upon searching for military connections with 'Igloo' or 'Project Igloo', I found this:
http://www.cyclopaedia.de/wiki/Operation_Igloo_White
Operation Igloo White was a covert United States joint military electronic warfare operation conducted from late January 1968 until February 1973, during the Vietnam War. These missions were carried out by the 553rd Reconnaissance Wing (553 RW), a U.S. Air Force unit flying modified EC-121R Warning Star aircraft, and Observation Squadron SIXTY-SEVEN (VO-67), a specialized U.S. Navy unit flying highly modified OP-2E Neptune aircraft. This state-of-the-art operation utilized electronic sensors, computers, and communications relay aircraft in an attempt to automate intelligence collection. The system would then assist in the direction of strike aircraft to their targets. The objective of those attacks was the logistical system of the People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN) that snaked through southeastern Laos and was known as the Ho Chi Minh Trail (the Truong Son Road to the North Vietnamese).
It's either the 'perps' collecting bogus information through this 'medium' by seeing who is swayed [with dis-information/information] from Snowden or it is merely the tying up people's interest on something that ultimately goes nowhere nor provides any meaningful return.
lux

Unread post by lux »

Real or CGI?

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfIHsurwTMo

If you are unsure, the answer is here.

Either way it illustrates what can be done these days to fool the public.
lux

Unread post by lux »

“Kelly Smith,” the narrator of this NASA fluff piece is looking pretty simmy to me.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06FmNw2d5fA

Odd renderings around the edges of facial features such as the mouth …

… hairline …

… and ear …

... make me more than a little suspicious.

And, the mole on his neck seems to appear and disappear. Watch it vanish at about 6:40-6:45.

Here he is again in this low resolution "chat" video.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT2WfqyVqng

Watch in full screen mode and look at the glitch on his mouth at about 12:14.
Last edited by lux on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

lux wrote:“Kelly Smith,” the narrator of this NASA fluff piece is looking pretty simmy to me.
Nice find, Lux. "Kelly Smith" sure looks like a modern-day, more sophisticated "Max Headroom".

On the other hand, it's funny how the modern-day image technology actually diminishes NASA's credibility.

In the old days, when they showed us their funky space machines being assembled in their labs, they at least went to the trouble of actually building real mock-up models of them - so that they looked quite (photographically) real when captured on film.

Today, their almost total reliance on digital imagery sometimes produces hilarious moments such as this:

simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

A great thread by Johan Backes over at Fakeologist.com - on the subject of what I like to call DCA's - Digital Cartoon Androids :

CGI on TV – A Bob Abel Fable [ 1937 – 2001 ]
http://fakeologist.com/forums/topic/cgi ... 1937-2001/

More on the subject of DCA's in this interesting webpage by Activision's Jorge Jimenez:

"NEXT GENERATION LIFE" http://www.iryoku.com/next-generation-life

Hoi Polloi and myself have suspected for several years now that DCA's are already being used by the mainstream media, NASA and in assorted military propaganda. Seeing what is feasible today, our suspicions may not have been all that fanciful / far-fetched after all.
sunshine05

Unread post by sunshine05 »

Thanks, Simon. I believe we are seeing DCA's in the media today too.