THE DERAILING ROOM

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest

Re: THE DERAILING ROOM

Postby ICfreely on July 26th, 2016, 4:47 am

aa5 » July 25th, 2016, 4:40 pm wrote:I hadn't heard of that book, it sounds very interesting. Perhaps they need the comparison to appreciate what the present is. While also needing the past to be virtuous, so that their state was always the good guys?

Well, nobody likes to think of themselves as the bad guy. I think it’s safe to say that people have a tendency for romanticizing the past. Be that as it may, those virtuous tales can and do serve a purpose. They give people noble ideals to live up to. I don’t see anything wrong with that.

For example, five guys could claim that their wife/girlfriend is the most beautiful woman in the world. If you put them all in a room would you expect a brawl to break out (with every guy trying to prove his wife is the prettiest)?

Of course not! Each guy would know exactly where the other guys were coming from. In fact, their mutual understanding/shared values would make it more likely for them to get along.

I’m pretty sure most readers (Hoi for example) probably think I’m an ethnocentric elitist who’s blinded by Golden Age tales of my people. But it’s really not like that. The media has so unjustly vilified Iranians for so long that I (and others like me) feel compelled to set the record straight. Noblesse oblige!

I will not hesitate to stick up for a fellow Iranian in distress.

And this dress… And this dress… ;)

Persian Wedding Baba Karam Dance

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KN9LyvFKmk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KN9LyvFKmk

Seriously, do these people look like they need lessons in civility?

The dance of Baba Karam is a tribute to Jahels (literally means the ignorants) who were a specific cult of usually undereducated urban youth or middle aged men with their own way of dressing (black suits, white shirts, black hat and some type of a scarf as you see in the video), their own style of speaking Farsi and and their own code of behavior. Generally they did not have legitimate jobs therefore were intoxicated often and were known to get into knife fights. They also supported a specific but unspoken code of honor amongst themselves.

Baba Karam may have been a renowned Jaheh or purely a fictitious character to exemplify the characteristics of this group. Jahels are also referred to as Kolah Makhmalis (the velvet hatters).

There is a certain affection for the imagery of the Jahels in Iranian hearts.

http://iranian.com/main/2009/feb/baba-karam.html

You see, Hoi, if baba karam is haram (a sin), then this lefty doesn’t want to sit at the right hand of Allah! :)
ICfreely

Hilarious 9/11 Mattress Commercial

Postby XQB on September 12th, 2016, 3:54 am

This has been big news all over Texas. Miracal Mattress, a store in San Antonio recently aired this hilarious commercial as a 9/11 mattress sale. I couldn't stop laughing at how hilarious it was. Especially funny were the two male bozos falling into the mattresses symbolizing the WTC's, and the chubby girl at the end saying "we will never forget":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZmM-2g ... e=youtu.be

The comments on their Facebook page were equally hilarious, with many shills and "I was there that day" idiots proclaiming utter disrespect for the poor vicsims:

https://www.facebook.com/miraclemattress210/

That was the owner's daughter in the video. Eventually, the public frenzy over this was so bad that the business decided to close its doors indefinitely. Sadly, "we will never forget". :D
XQB

Re: Hilarious 9/11 Mattress Commercial

Postby hoi.polloi on September 12th, 2016, 11:16 pm

XQB » September 12th, 2016, 2:54 am wrote:This has been big news all over Texas. Miracal Mattress, a store in San Antonio recently aired this hilarious commercial as a 9/11 mattress sale. I couldn't stop laughing at how hilarious it was. Especially funny were the two male bozos falling into the mattresses symbolizing the WTC's, and the chubby girl at the end saying "we will never forget":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZmM-2g ... e=youtu.be

The comments on their Facebook page were equally hilarious, with many shills and "I was there that day" idiots proclaiming utter disrespect for the poor vicsims:

https://www.facebook.com/miraclemattress210/

That was the owner's daughter in the video. Eventually, the public frenzy over this was so bad that the business decided to close its doors indefinitely. Sadly, "we will never forget". :D

Moved for non sequitur in bold, as if you hadn't even read the discussion taking place in the thread, whatsoever.

Come on, people. Can we please not turn our forum into Fecesbook?

If you're going to just drop links, at least read the conversation, give your impression as if you are actually interacting with the members here. Most people on this forum are capable of at least that. You know, conversation. Even take some screen shots, disprove annoying shill comments, or something.

When random people find our CluesForum, what kinds of intelligent comments would you like to see here? Imagine what it would be like if you never heard of these subjects, you became curious about them, and you wanted to see a real discussion between people about these subjects. And we just end up with random posts slapped together as if dropped into a subject that looks mildly related. Like a positive kind of "trolling" -- running in to "high five" the thread -- but which still has the reverse effect of turning people off of the subject.

We started this forum because we wanted people to be inspired to do their own research, to ask questions. To bloody do something better than crowd around each other and act like it's all over and all we have is each other. We have that, but we need to inspire each other to continue to spread the word about this.

There is work to be done. Please, if you care about these subjects, at least talk with your friends and family about these things instead of embracing the idea that you have to be some kind of social-media outcast.

This rant deserves to be in the derailing room, itself, I know.

But do think about the fact that what we have here is the only known historic (barely even academic-like) record of the absolutely insane things the people in power are doing with their power. What is actually happening on this planet. And in our governments. Rise to the occasion, as Simon sings in his new album. You've got to rise to the occasion.

Sorry, rant over.
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Re:

Postby daddie_o on September 20th, 2016, 2:12 pm

nonhocapito » September 19th, 2016, 5:11 pm wrote:Meanwhile a quite hilarious burrito-witness report can be watched here:

The burrito place this lady was in was "at 24th and 7th". I couldn't find it in google maps unless she means "Chelsea Papaya"...

That was HILARIOUS. I love how she is being coached/led at the end about where it all happened, etc. How exactly did she see a fire ball (not a fire) of the explosion when she stepped out afterwards...?

Chelsea's Papaya is a hot dog place, so that's not it. She says she was at a burrito place, a vegetarian place. I think she might have meant 'Wrapido' which is just next to Chelsea's Papaya according to google maps. Anyway a bit odd for her to say 'burrito' instead of 'wrap' but whatever. I'm not saying this gives her any credibility whatsoever. But at least they didn't completely pull the 'vegetarian burrito place' completely out of their butts.

Her performance reminds me a little of this gem:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLx6ZeJNjmg

Which was 'famously' songified by the Gregory Brothers:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCSBoOcGFFE

[fixed the youtube embeds. to make them work just use the youtube code ~nonhocapito]
daddie_o

Re: Chelsea NYC bombing, 29 wounded, 17-09-2016

Postby pov603 on September 21st, 2016, 10:56 am

The Arizona carcrash man looks/sounds like he was coached by our very own 'Harley man'...
pov603

Re: Chelsea NYC bombing, 29 wounded, 17-09-2016

Postby SacredCowSlayer on September 21st, 2016, 1:32 pm

pov603 » September 21st, 2016, 4:56 am wrote:The Arizona carcrash man looks/sounds like he was coached by our very own 'Harley man'...

I agree about his performance. Got to love that last bit about "oh, this is real..." :lol:

And what about the laughing people behind him? I don't think such cheese is accidental by any means.

I've been at enough crashes to know that's NOT how people behave. Usually people that aren't injured are sitting down and/or puking. Often they are sitting down giving witness statements.

Clowning around like the people in this video would be nearly unthinkable in real life.

I guess they do it for sheer mockery.

Note: Please move this to the derailing room or chatbox (if mods agree with me) since it's clearly off topic. CluedIn's aptly posted reference to this "oldy but goodie" sort of unintentionally steered this topic OFF the ROAD. :D

[so I moved it. Thanks for pointing it out ~nonhocapito]
SacredCowSlayer

Re: 9/11 vicsims with real-life counterparts (Master List)

Postby brianv on October 6th, 2016, 12:11 pm

@antipodean Do you think that might be the end of it? Quite frankly, I often wondered about your continuous spamming of this character. And Simon was quite right to pull you about it!
brianv

Postby antipodean on October 6th, 2016, 12:16 pm

brianv » October 6th, 2016, 11:11 pm wrote:@antipodean Do you think that might be the end of it? Quite frankly, I often wondered about your continuous spamming of this character. And Simon was quite right to pull you about it!

I'm just replying to questions that are being asked. If you think its spam report it to the mods.
antipodean

Postby brianv on October 6th, 2016, 3:31 pm

I'm familiar with the locality where he was raised.
Indeed?

Tantamount to : "I know someone who knows someone who knew him. "

I think "the mods", namely Simon, has been on to you already.

And sorry to derail, please move!
brianv

Postby antipodean on October 6th, 2016, 9:16 pm

That is an incredibly dumb statement.
antipodean

Postby brianv on October 6th, 2016, 10:26 pm

So Eaton was raised, was he? Yes, raised from the cuttings in some "news editor's" wastebasket.

antipodean » October 6th, 2016, 9:16 pm wrote:That is an incredibly dumb statement.
That's rich coming from a one trick pony.
brianv

Postby antipodean on October 6th, 2016, 10:35 pm

brianv » October 7th, 2016, 9:26 am wrote:
antipodean » October 6th, 2016, 9:16 pm wrote:That is an incredibly dumb statement.

That's rich coming from a waste of space 3733 posts. Most of which are snide one liners.

How does someone manage to go from being a visionary to a harridan in 5 years ?
antipodean

Postby hoi.polloi on October 6th, 2016, 10:38 pm

I am moving this snit to the derailing room. Let's please model a more topical discussion of this sensitive 9/11 topic, even if we are seeming rhetorical or amusing to readers!

Sorry if any of my pleading/sarcasm started this.
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby antipodean on October 6th, 2016, 10:43 pm

hoi.polloi » October 7th, 2016, 9:38 am wrote:I am moving this snit to the derailing room. Let's please model a more topical discussion of this sensitive 9/11 topic, even if we are seeming rhetorical or amusing to readers!

Sorry if any of my pleading/sarcasm started this.

Thank you.
antipodean

Postby brianv on October 6th, 2016, 10:59 pm

antipodean » October 6th, 2016, 10:35 pm wrote:
brianv » October 7th, 2016, 9:26 am wrote:

That's rich coming from a waste of space 3733 posts. Most of which are snide one liners.

How does someone manage to go from being a visionary to a harridan in 5 years ?

I was never one for being verbose, I don't like writing lengthy posts. And then I would say - from having kids and a life, other than here, and slight burn out from having spent every waking moment for five or six years after "9/11" trying to figure it out and having looked at every frame of every video until my eyes bled until my Eureka moment at letsroll.

http://letsrollforums.com//ssa-and-publ ... light=ssdi

Speaking of letsroll http://letsrollforums.com//robert-eaton ... 26644.html

Let it go, let it go...hmm hmm

Oh, we've been moved? Good!
brianv

PreviousNext

Return to THE LIVING ROOM