Are Movies Unwatchable?

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
kansasinnovember

Re: Are Movies Unwatchable?

Unread post by kansasinnovember »

Cobra Commander, the above image was created from a template here http://photofunia.com/ just for a bit of fun and not believing anyone would ever doubt whether it was genuine or not.
Critical Mass

Unread post by Critical Mass »

I tend to watch movies in a rather cold blooded & analytical way now, still some appear quaint to me...

I particularly like the 'tidal wave through a cities streets' scene at 44:25.
Houdini

Unread post by Houdini »

Absolutely unwatchable for me. I got rid of my TV in 1980 but still got glimpses of what's going on at other people's houses when they had the TV on. I was at my mom's house the morning of 9/11 and her sister called her and told her to turn on the TV. Right away I noticed something fishy - we live in NY and there are 3 network stations (ABC, CBS. NBC) and 3 local NY stations (WPIX, WOR, WNEW)... AND ALL SIX WERE SHOWING THE SAME CAMERA VIEW OF THE SMOLDERING FIRST TOWER!!!!

Okay, I'll stay on topic...

I hate being at someone's house and they have to have the TV on all the time or a bunch of them have to hunker down with a movie. I see too much of the symbolism, the inside stuff, etc. to be able to just sit there and watch like a typical fluoridated American. The noise and sounds of modern movies puts my teeth on edge - the loud crashes, the breaking glass, the roar followed by a hollow silence, all leading you on an emotional roller coaster and putting who knows what subliminal images into your subconscious.

I have no desire to watch. I CAN'T watch. But I have watched a few like The Matrix and The Truman Show to see what "they" were telling us about this world.
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

Houdini wrote:The noise and sounds of modern movies puts my teeth on edge - the loud crashes, the breaking glass, the roar
I know exactly what you mean. I stopped going to see movies in 2000 for a number of reasons, one of which was the massively increased volume heard in so many theaters.
icarusinbound

Unread post by icarusinbound »

Has anyone else on the forum had the opportunity to watch the intriguing movie released 3 weeks ago, named "Into the Storm"? It's heavy going, in that it is largely a massive SFX showcase with a thin predictable sub-plot of ersatz peril. Few disaster movie cliches are missed, so in some ways it does fit the bill as an "Unwatchable"....but, read on.

As one of the reviews astutely summarised it, think of 'Twister', regurgitated for the Youtube/environ-mental era.

Hold on- there's a lot more to it than that. I don't watch many movies, so am perhaps not best-placed to be able to judge the extent to which CGI is now used, but if Clooney/Bullock 'Oblivion' had a large percentage of generated imagery, this movie must be almost entirely composed of non-real scenes and synthetic action. Confident sweeping aerial shots of false landscapes and storms, compelling notions of jumbo jets being tumbled like origami, as well as a few less-realistic stitch-ins (perhaps either due to lack of dollars or post-production gapfill)

I've mentioned a few times, here on the forum, that I feel there are now no proper benchline references in media. At one time (perhaps to some extent deliberately) it was easy to believe that you could see the edges, the layers, even maybe the hint that what was being depicted was not truly real. That boundary has, certainly for me, now been entirely trashed, with the advent of "Into the Storm", and it's earlier ilk.

Were it not for the largely-unavoidable foundation that they must have used real-life actors, I'd almost be tempted to wonder if the entire synthesis was generated within computers. The degree of realistic interaction between what appear to be real-life actors, and the apparent weather landscapes incidents is just one level at which this is an intriguing experience.

So I'd recommend you to try and surpress that gag reflex, hold your course through some of the most wince-making parts (Freddie from iCarly reprises his infernal camera-kid...more scary than Kruger), do try to give it your cold, calculated analysis. It will not offer any absolute answers, but it's seriously worth a rake-over. And the pseudo- Ground Zero footage near the end, with all those meandering firemen, and shredded flags gave me a cold shiver of familiarity: watch and wonder....
ShaneG

Unread post by ShaneG »

Modern day blockbusters are mostly unwatchable due to the brainwashy propaganda factor.

It seems like the movie industry works in sync with the guys who run these media psy-ops. Higher-ups/agents in cahoots with each other to deliver a good dose of predictive programming on the big screen not long before they put out a similar scenario in the media that's depicted as reality. This is probably how they create cognitive dissonance en-masse which keeps people in a lull.

I rarely watch movies these days, if I was to watch one it would have to be a conspiracy/sci-fi/dystopia/totalitarian type of flick as I find them to be the most enjoyable. The last one I watched several months ago was called 'Strange Days' which was made in 1995. I rate Ralph Fiennes as an actor and decided to watch it when I read the imdb description:

"A former cop turned street-hustler accidentally uncovers a police conspiracy in 1999 Los Angeles." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114558/

I can't get enough of that crime vs law-enforcement genre, especially in a future sci-fi setting. Although It wasn't as deep with substance or thought provoking as 'The Matrix', I enjoyed it still, 8/10 for me.

For viewing I much prefer Japanese anime. There's so much good stuff out there and with it being animated they're not limited to the boundaries of using actors/sets; as a result it creates better viewing and the content goes much deeper on a philosophical and psychological level.
lux

Unread post by lux »

I haven't been to a movie theater in about 10 years. I watch a few movies on cable but they are all older films. I also have a bunch of MST3K DVDs that I enjoy from time to time.
Libero

Unread post by Libero »

"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" is a good movie to refer people to watch and experience how a false-flag event can be carried out. The silly apes are deceived and then whipped into war frenzy after one of their own appears to be assassinated by a rogue member of the human tribe.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103281/

More here from IMDB regarding the synopsis but, Warning!... it may contain spoilers.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103281/syn ... tt_stry_pl
Moros

Unread post by Moros »

Are they unwatchable nowadays? Yeah, kind of. I think the last movies that I legitimately enjoyed at the theater were "The Dark Knight", and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. It's pretty much been all about rehashing old content with pretty special effects, nowadays.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Hey Moros, could you please introduce yourself here: http://cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=838
Moros

Unread post by Moros »

Yep. Sorry about that.
poax a hoax

Unread post by poax a hoax »

A movie I watched again recently was Wag the Dog. I now refer to it tongue in cheek as a documentary when recommending it to others.

Made in 1997, it is fascinating to consider how the concept of hoaxes can be introduced into mainstream awareness and intentionally marginalised as an absurdity through a device such as comedy.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNo0BicRM8k

[ I have edited my originally poor post. Apologies to all. Game has now been lifted ]
Last edited by poax a hoax on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

You should be using spell check on this forum. And check your punctuation. What we don't have time for is people with a blatant disrespect for clear communication. Seriously, it's just not worth your effort if you aren't going to respect your audience.
Critical Mass

Unread post by Critical Mass »

I just watched the 1950 movie Destination moon last night...

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsisGSBlQqo
The whole thing is interesting from start to finish but the rocketry cartoon at 12:21 stands out in particular...

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osnqu6ijNXM
ShaneG

Unread post by ShaneG »

It looks like they've made an Edward Snowden documentary type of film. It says October 10th release date but there's only 22 user ratings so far. The general public must be bored of the Snowden saga already, it will probably appeal to a niche market of hardened Snowden fans.

Citizenfour: "A documentarian and a reporter travel to Hong Kong for the first of many meetings with Edward Snowden."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4044364/