The Age of Media Fakery: Art Corner

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
simonshack
Administrator

Re: The Age of Media Fakery: Art Corner

Unread post by simonshack »

icarusinbound wrote:
There appears to be an...awkward urban double-meaning to the word "clue". It appears to have North American origins, but, inevitably, it may have already spread wider across the english-speaking world.
Lol! Well, I don't watch South Park much, and don't care a lot about what urban slang they come up with. I much prefer the old school definition:
clue
n.
Something that serves to guide or direct in the solution of a problem or mystery.
tr.v. clued, clue·ing or clu·ing, clues
To give (someone) guiding information: Clue me in on what's happening.

synonyms: indication, lead, sign, evidence, tip, suggestion, trace, hint, suspicion, pointer, tip-off, inkling, intimation
Anyways, I'm not the prude type, so I'd gladly say - in "South Park language" - that I'd rather have a clue than being clueless! <_<
sublimity

Unread post by sublimity »

icarusinbound wrote:
(ps the t-shirt design is excellent)
simonshack wrote:
sublimity wrote:Just a quick design I whipped up, since the idea of stickers and t-shirts was being discussed :)
Nice ! :)
Thank you!
TrutherInTX

Unread post by TrutherInTX »

sublimity,

That is a really cool design. If I saw that on a bumper sticker or t-shirt I would want to find out more!
sublimity

Unread post by sublimity »

Thank you, TrutherInTX. I only slightly modified the existing Cluesforum logo, but please feel free to use it get the word out! I know I will be.
reel.deal
DELETED THEIR OWN POSTS :(

Re: Social Media F*^kery: Art Corner

Unread post by reel.deal »

Last edited by reel.deal on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
reel.deal
DELETED THEIR OWN POSTS :(

Re: Britain is toilet of Atlantic JetStream

Unread post by reel.deal »

Last edited by reel.deal on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maat

Re: Wisdom in satire

Unread post by Maat »

fbenario

Re: Wisdom in satire

Unread post by fbenario »

Maat wrote:If only everyone would...

@ http://cool-baby.deviantart.com/art/gra ... l-23730361
No kidding, totally agree. This is my new FB profile pic (thanks, Equinox, for making it clearly legible!).

Maat

Unread post by Maat »

I just had to express my disgust at f@*#ing NBC's monopoly of all Olympic coverage in the US — they've always sucked but now they're worse, with no live broadcasts at all! :angry:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

Maat wrote:I just had to express my disgust at f@*#ing NBC's monopoly of all Olympic coverage in the US — they've always sucked but now they're worse, with no live broadcasts at all! :angry:
What are you talking about? They're showing 5,000 hours of live coverage, every single event shown live, including the bullshit non-sports like gymnastics and diving (and in the winter olympics, figure-skating; blechh!). Gotta have an objective winner to be a real competition, which means no judges voting on who wins.
Maat

Unread post by Maat »

fbenario wrote:
Maat wrote:I just had to express my disgust at f@*#ing NBC's monopoly of all Olympic coverage in the US — they've always sucked but now they're worse, with no live broadcasts at all! :angry:
What are you talking about? They're showing 5,000 hours of live coverage, every single event shown live, including the bullshit non-sports like gymnastics and diving (and in the winter olympics, figure-skating; blechh!). Gotta have an objective winner to be a real competition, which means no judges voting on who wins.
Huh? :blink: We only get time-delayed coverage on TV from NBC unless you pay some premium for live, or fiddle with website work-arounds for live event streams (from BBC) on the computer. Canadians (or those close enough to the border to get their TV channels) have no problem. Just Google it to see I'm not alone.

"NBC Is Tape-Delaying The Olympics Because They Are Smart And You Are Dumb, Says NBC" 07.31.12
NBC’s decision to tape-delay the Olympics has been vilified almost unanimously, for good reason. Especially on social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook, they’ve been receiving a steady stream of hate from Day 1, when they decided to make the Opening Ceremony unavailable on both television and their website until they could air it hours later in primetime. Since then they’ve continued this policy by delaying marquee events like swimming and gymnastics until the big money hours, showing them via web stream, but not as part of the television package.

NBC Sports Chairman Mark Lazarus recently sat down with Sports Business Daily to defend this policy, and I have helpfully pulled out some of his most ridiculous quotes in case any of you needed a good excuse to go blind with rage and huck your laptop into a wall like a discus. Enjoy. ...
See also: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics-f ... --oly.html :-
NBC, which spent $1.18 billion for the rights to broadcast the Olympics on the Internet and on television in the United States, has made it impossible for people without a pricey cable or satellite subscription to watch the Olympics live in the United States. Viewers can receive a complimentary four hours of live content with a temporary pass.

Only those customers who are first "authenticated" as paying cable or satellite subscribers have access to live streaming of every Olympic event, a move that has led to a explosion of anger at the network on Twitter under the unofficial "#NBCfail" hashtag.

Other complaints included NBC streaming that didn't work and the network bombarded viewers had too much advertising.

For its regular network coverage, NBC, which is owned by cable giant Comcast Corp, has tape-delayed some of the most popular sports for the U.S. prime-time audience, meaning they air nearly five to six hours after they have happened.

This helps NBC maximize its return-on-investment by saving the top events for the largest audience and thereby the biggest advertising pay-off. But it has also led to event spoilers and criticism that the network was putting the interests of its business over those of its viewers. ...
As for what is or isn't a "non-sport" that's purely subjective; I don't care about competition or "winners" but I do want to see the best of beautiful human skills in gymnastics, diving etc., not just speed :P

I'm not interested in the team events, but my husband was pissed off with their time-delays on the soccer matches too.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Maat wrote:but I do want to see the best of beautiful human skills
...like hanging out the washing, doing the shopping, taking the dog to the vet...bwa :lol:
Maat

Unread post by Maat »

brianv wrote:
Maat wrote:but I do want to see the best of beautiful human skills
...like hanging out the washing, doing the shopping, taking the dog to the vet...bwa :lol:
Ha! Cheeky bugger! :P Ooh, don't tell me you're the creator of this meme then... Image

Anyway, I use a tumble dryer and my hubby does all the shopping Image
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Maat wrote:
brianv wrote:
but I do want to see the best of beautiful human skills
Ha! Cheeky bugger! :P Ooh, don't tell me you're the creator of this meme then... Image

Anyway, I use a tumble dryer and my hubby does all the shopping Image
Me? Never!

I'm not that bad really. I did the washing up once!
SmokingGunII

Unread post by SmokingGunII »

Got to say, I wasn't really bothered about the London Olympics, despite being on my doorstep, but I have been watching hours of coverage (some in 3d, which is superb) and, despite my dislike for the BBC on so many levels, they have been kind enough to give us the choice of 25 Olympic HD channels to choose from! B) :blink: :)

I also have to confess, that London is proving a spectacular backdrop to the events. That said, the overtly masonic stadium and mascots make me want to puke. :puke:

Oh and I hate "Team GB". What exactly was wrong with Great Britain?

EDIT: LOLLED at that pic, Maat. My humble apologies!