The Age of Media Fakery: Art Corner

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest

Re: The Age of Media Fakery: Art Corner

Postby ICfreely on August 16th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Very impressive, I, Gestalta! The first thing that came to mind was, "Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, START!" ;)
ICfreely

Postby fbenario on August 26th, 2016, 9:00 pm

A new 3-girl Melbourne, Australia, band named Camp Cope on their first album includes a song titled Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams, which made me smile. Unfortunately, its lyrics don't investigate that proposition and seem pretty infantile overall. Still, the more people exposed to that phrase the better if it leads them to question their beloved 'news'.

https://www.musixmatch.com/lyrics/Camp-Cope/Jet-Fuel-Can-t-Melt-Steel-Beams
fbenario

Re: The (non-religious) dinosaur hoax question

Postby TimR on November 8th, 2016, 7:30 pm

This thread (and a few dino skeptics online) has prompted me to look into the question of dino fakery a bit, but I'll admit I still don't have any solid conclusions.

I did write this satirical piece for my blog that I wanted to share with CF readers:
http://timrockscomics.blogspot.com/2016/09/interview-with-rogue-paleontologist.html

In addition to my cartooning duties, I sometimes venture into the perfervid swamps of journalism. Thus it was no surprise that when a local mid-level paleontologist decided to go rogue and dish some dirt on the whole bone racket, that he should turn to me to help get the word out (I have a large readership; they're just very shy about commenting.)

I've agreed to protect his identity since there's a lot at stake, as you'll see if you read what he has to say---and he's understandably concerned that his turn as a paleo "Deep Throat" could bring retribution from those invested in the status quo Dino Paradigm. "Professor Patella" will be his moniker then---lest he end up a fossil himself!

Me: So lemme get this straight---you don't really believe in all this dino hoo-ha, do you?

Professor Patella: [He sighs. Takes puff of cigarette.] No. No I don't.

Me: The readers can't see your face obviously, since we've lighted you in silhouette---but I've seen it and, frankly, it's got more wrinkles than an elephant's trunk (or brachiosaur's tail, if you prefer.) Is that because you're very wise, or is it the stress of this Big Lie?

PP: The latter.

Me: So tell me about that---how'd you get involved in this big scam?

PP: [Sighs.] It all started when I was a kid, of course. That's usually how it starts. The Paleo-Industrial-Complex hooks you right in with a gut-level emotional appeal. Before you've developed any proper distinction between

(Continued at link)
TimR

Re: The (non-religious) dinosaur hoax question

Postby hoi.polloi on November 9th, 2016, 1:12 am

That's a fine ambiguous piece (and nice cartoons!), but it could also be taken as a crack against even thinking about it. I'm going to move it to the Art Corner if you don't mind.

How about some of your actual thoughts on the subject? What do you find compelling in the evidence we're compiling for dishonesty and manipulation in paleontology? Anything concrete to add? Have you ever visited a "dig" site, etc.? :)
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby Prescient on January 15th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Prescient

Previous

Return to THE LIVING ROOM