The Clues Chronicle — help decide the threads to read!

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest

What should be the order of topics on 'The Clues Chronicle'? (select up to 3)

You may select up to 3 options

View results

nonhocapito

Re: The Clues Chronicle — help decide the threads to read!

Unread post by nonhocapito »

I am aware that again I jumped in here with destructive words and that this is not necessarily a useful thing -- and I do this exactly because I'm never here and I have no time to take this the easy way or the roundabout way. Afterwards (now) I leave with the hope that someone else might be able to join the discussion not just to pay compliments with the self-preserving attitude of someone who doesn't want to lose the spot on the forum, but instead with a more critical and less magnanimous mindset.
If I speak about "unpredictable outcomes" I refer to the conversation itself, that, in my imagination, should rather resemble a debate, a real one, involving people who will ask questions you haven't thought of, because they don't belong to this world and they are not primed to the atmosphere of consensus that these forums have.
I'm happy that you have a friend to talk about these things, and I am sure it is beneficial to you, I am just surprised that anyone could think this useful to the research or to breaking out of the corner where the ideas of media fakery are forced in. But that's just me.

(I said above I was probably posting in the wrong thread, I just had no idea you were online and we would start this exchange. Please feel free to move this conversation where it is more appropriate, or even put it in the "derailing" thread where it perhaps belongs.)
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

I would love to take suggestions we can implement.

"Get rid of the hosts" and "don't do a podcast" are a bit difficult to implement.

You had two complaints, I think:

- The podcast is too self-congratulatory
- The podcast goes into needless detail

Problem is, if you take broad strokes like this, you don't realize your complaints are opposite of one another. We need detail to discuss the possible ways to diverge from the posts. Which also needs time. We can't have no detail or else the thing doesn't really make much sense. Does it? It needs some statements to help people understand what we're talking about and not be a totally dry obtuse reading.

If I interpret your writings to mean that we should simply get another voice in there who opens up the discussion, it would result in the other problem you had with the podcast: too much needless detail. It's definitely an art form, making this kind of thing. And we are quite new at it.

What exactly are we expected to debate about posts from shills? "Maybe this isn't a shill!"

Or ...?

I mean, what is an example of something specifically you took issue with? I can try to improve.

But I can't solve the problem for you where something recorded in the podcast is suddenly deemed 'expected' because it made it to the air. Then the fact you are listening is your own problem. Or your thinking about an amazing idea that should be there but which you cannot imagine or describe.

My co-host does not belong to the CluesForum world that much, has barely posted anything here, and often takes contrary positions to myself. If you want a debate program, who shall we debate with? Who can we trust and where can we get them? They have to understand the research to be able to comment intelligently about it. They also need the free time and commitment level to do it so some level of friendship helps in that regard. Shall we cold-call people we disagree with? Would you like us to just speculate more about our ideas being wrong? I am still not getting what doesn't work.

If you think we are simply boring, I won't disagree with you. That's entirely possible. However, that is very subjective as well.

Would you like to join the show? You sound like you'd make a good challenging voice!
nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

I think my suggestions were a bit more extensive than the two you summarize (although the self-congratulatory thing really is a major reason of annoyance to me every time I happen to roam around here); I repeatedly said that I would imagine a change in media such as this to be motivated by opening to a wider audience, which would mean creating a sort of open territory where someone else's language and mindset, not just the one of the forum, is present; I also said that I don't find particularly useful or entertaining a conversation that comments on a thread of a forum. If you think that thread can be boring to people, how commenting on it (without even trying to simplify or clarify the discussion or the discoveries, but simply repeating some parts and commenting on them) is going to make it less boring? I also argued that it basically seems odd to use a podcast to discuss images and videos! Anyway there is nothing I'm asking you to do or that I expect you to do. You guys are the ones doing something, not me. I just wish to manifest my disagreement, although perhaps I realize I shouldn't. That's up to you to decide, as obviously my admin status doesn't really have a meaning as I don't exercise it at all and you can strip it any time you want -- and with it my ability to participate, if necessary. Is all. Really gotta go!
hoi.polloi

Okay, well, thank you for very much for the input. I appreciate it and will do my best to use it constructively. We are also concerned about reaching a larger audience in every way. Be well.

I gotta go, too. It's lucky we caught one another.
Painterman

Unread post by Painterman »

Following up on concerns mentioned by Nonhocapito, below are excerpts addressing the problem that reading text out loud can bore the listeners and sabotage popularity. The cited article, titled "Announcing/Reading Copy", also discusses ways to beat the problem.

The remainder of this post quotes the article:

Think back to your earliest memories of reading words out loud. For many people, it was in elementary school. Your teacher may have asked you to read a paragraph out loud from a book. Perhaps you had to read a nursery rhyme or a portion of a story. You probably had to read out loud in front of your classmates, some of whom may have been better readers than you were. How did that make you feel? What was your reaction to hearing others read out loud?

For many people, reading words out loud in a classroom setting is not their most pleasant childhood memory. It's not as bad as having to give a speech in front of your peers, perhaps, but it probably was not as fun as other things you did in school. Especially if you were not very good at it. And most people weren't.

When you hand a sheet of paper to someone and ask them to read it out loud, it typically sounds a bit boring. Rather dull. Lifeless. That's because when most people read out loud, it sounds like they're reading out loud. As an announcer, you don't want to sound like that.

An announcer doesn't read words out loud. An announcer communicates.

When you read out loud, your mind is thinking about the words on the page. When you communicate, your mind is thinking about the meaning of those words. When you read out loud, your eyes focus on print. When you communicate, your eyes focus on the audience. When you read out loud, your goal is to read the words correctly. When you communicate, your goal is to get your message across. And perhaps most importantly, when you read out loud, you sound like you are reading out loud. When you communicate, you sound like you are communicating.

(...)

That's the key challenge of announcing: to take copy that someone else has written and make it sound like the ideas you are conveying are your ideas, that the words you are using are your words. And that's not easy to do, in part because the only step in this process where you have full control is in the final step, where you speak the words out loud.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Announcing/Reading_Copy
starfish prime

Unread post by starfish prime »

I personally appreciate that Hoi & K have put the effort into creating the Clues Chronicle. I think that Clues Forum can be a rather intimidating place, and I can see how a podcast, with actual human voices, could help people acclimate to considering such taboo subjects. While I understand why the forum is generally restricted towards objective, (mostly) anonymous research, I don't necessarily believe that there is no place for camaraderie here, even if there may be shills among us. I already feel so isolated in my everyday life, bearing the burden of knowledge regarding media fakery. I find emotional solace in hearing about others' struggles with similar issues, such as attempting to discuss these topics with those they know outside of this forum, and their personal revelations regarding media fakery strengthen my own resolve in the face of overwhelming social opposition. Of course, we need to avoid self-reinforcing "groupthink," but I don't think this means we must completely discard any sense of solidarity...

Maybe part of the problem is that the intended audience is not entirely clear? Is this podcast directed more at people who have never heard of Clues Forum, or people who are simply new to Clues Forum but don't know where to begin?

Perhaps the format of reading posts and then discussing them should be reconsidered? Surely the podcast is not intended as a substitute for actually reading the forum, so maybe it would be more effective for Hoi & K to simply discuss which elements of certain topics they found most compelling, even if the conversation is a bit extemporaneous?
hoi.polloi

ISSUE 7 RELEASED! Sorry for the delay. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, solstice and/or whatever.

Issue 7: Hi, ‘Was J.F.K. Murdered?’
A musing/reading on our thread 'Was J.F.K. Murdered?'

I hope this episode is better than the last. We recorded this before receiving suggestions to make our show more entertaining. In our next show, K and I are trying to get another guest on the money topic and we will try a slightly different format, where each of us gives what we consider "highlights" of the thread rather than solely reading the opening pages. It will also have to be a slightly different format because the thread we are focusing on needs some love. Maybe we'll inspire greater participation from present (and new?) members.

Please, enjoy, and as always please give feedback in this thread!
hoi.polloi

ISSUE 8 and ISSUE 9 released!

I haven't updated this in a while but here they are, and I think they go really well together — soundly summarizing the fiction of money through how that fiction is manipulated by "connected" cosmologists in the service of the ideology of colonialism. Get a nice listen in, on your morning commute/walk/drink/whatever, and let us know if we've helped you to decolonize your mind!

And remember — these are designed for introducing big ideas through audio learners, so if you know someone who enjoys podcasts, tell them to search "Clues Chronicle" on iTunes.

ISSUE 8: Hi, Richard Kotlarz and the Banks' War Against Us
http://septclues.com/theclueschronicle/2016/01/21/issue-8-hi-richard-kotlarz-and-the-banks-war-against-us/

ISSUE 9: The Clues Chronicle examines the science gods: Isaac Newton
http://septclues.com/theclueschronicle/2016/04/02/issue-9-the-clues-chronicle-examines-isaac-newton/

Sorry about the first 5 minutes of the latter episode. My microphone had finally gotten really hissy and awful and was probably plugged in the wrong USB port. It clears up much better after that. And, even better, in the latter part of this episode, you can hear that we have much clearer recordings because both K and I bought new mics. Those nice mics are what we'll use from now on, and this should be a big improvement in our audio quality.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

I just wish to say that, as I finally found the time to listen to it the other night, I immensely enjoyed ISSUE 9 of the Clues Chronicles dealing with the "Gods of Science" - thanks so much, Hoi and K. You rock !
hoi.polloi

Thank you so much!
ElSushi

Unread post by ElSushi »

I enjoyed that new episode too !
hoi.polloi

Thank you, ElSushi, that's much appreciated.

We are trying to find time to make a number 10 soon! The topic will be the Fukushima thread. Since you have had experience in Japan, I wonder if you wouldn't mind reflecting a bit on how those events transpired from your perspective, right here in this thread? May I ask?
Prescient

Unread post by Prescient »

Hoi, I would also like to add that I have enjoyed all the series -I think you and K work great together :)
More importantly my 85yo father can now access and understand these crucial matters as he couldn't cope with the internet and our forum. He's slowly, but surely, understanding media fakery and gets 911 now.
In a word: Superb. Please keep them coming and let me know if I can help.
hoi.polloi

Yes! We mustn't forget about the older generations, who have been inundated as much as us! Poor folks — they were a lot of the test population for the fakery we see today. Thanks for the comment.
hoi.polloi

This one took a long time to produce, sorry about that. But at long last, here it is — issue 10 of The Clues Chronicle podcast! It's about two hours long and features two of Simon's new songs from the latest album Songs in Vacuum.

It might be considered another, very dense "information bomb", but please have patience, turn on your thinking caps, and spread the word that fakery is an accessible topic to the masses! Just search "Clues Chronicle" in iTunes — how much more mainstream can you get?

:P

Issue 10: Hi, 'Ab' and Fukushima Terror

Featuring an interview with Ab Irato (founder of Fakeologist.com), discussion of the "FUKUSHIMA/Tsunami scare" thread and many reflections on dubious unclear nuclear technology, 9/11, the methods of the perps and other subjects.