The Wizard of Oz (1939)

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Postby Farcevalue on October 15th, 2015, 11:54 pm

hoi.polloi wrote:
ICfreely wrote:I’m talking about ‘beyond the yellow brick road of good and evil science’ type of sorcery.


It's funny you should phrase it this way, since The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is itself a kind of contemporary, subconscious, retroactive endorsement of the open genocidal attacks on indigenous people living West of the major European colonies. Not to suggest there was some alternative while the imperial minded hit every angle of the "New World". We're talking mid-millennium here.

It's just interesting to phrase it "beyond the yellow brick road" while the "yellow brick road" is already itself a safe, pleasant, mesmerizing and fantastical abstraction of what evils America committed at its foundation. Of course, there are abstractions even beyond that, where the insensate and numb super-wealthy typically dwell, but a lot of our "cultural" myths are already well "beyond" (I am tempted to push a word like "obliviating") a normal sense of the real world.

The essay I am working on now will go more into it. Thanks as usual for your contributions, ICfreely.


I found the interpretation of the Wizard of Oz linked below to be quite interesting. I am not a fan of the UCC, freeman on the land, all caps strawman, etc., method of challenging jurisdiction, but I did enjoy the author's perspective on the L. Frank Baum classic:

http://www.redemptionservice.com/contents/wizard_of_oz.asp

"I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog, too!" Of course, the dog's name is Toto (Latin for everything). They haven't got it all yet, but it's still a work in progress.

edit: sp
Farcevalue
Member
 
Posts: 374
Joined: August 27th, 2011, 12:21 pm

Postby hoi.polloi on October 16th, 2015, 12:35 am

Simon, thanks for the reminder about odd and interesting subjects. Farcevalue, thank you for your interpretation of the third (at least) version of the Oz movie, which undoubtedly channeled some of what was going on in the public consciousness at the time. It's important. Please also bear in mind the period of time the book was plotted and written, which was during a huge "Imperialist" push in many directions. ICfreely, I have no idea what you are alluding to but check out the subject of how cultural myths appear and flourish. It might be a missing clue to complete your writing. Not to presume to know how your brilliant mind works.
hoi.polloi
Administrator
 
Posts: 4760
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Postby ICfreely on October 16th, 2015, 3:56 am

Farcevalue wrote:I found the interpretation of the Wizrd of Oz linked below to be quite interesting.


Same here, Farce! There are so many ways of looking at it. It's definitely not a bedtime story.

hoi.polloi wrote:ICfreely, I have no idea what you are alluding to but check out the subject of how cultural myths appear and flourish.


Thanks, will do! I think a few posts on sense perception would be needed before trying to explain my interpretation. It's nothing mind blowing by any means. I tend to get ahead of myself & lose people. Have to improve organization, I know.
ICfreely
Member
 
Posts: 555
Joined: February 7th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Postby bostonterrierowner on October 17th, 2015, 7:46 pm

ICfreely wrote:
Farcevalue wrote:I found the interpretation of the Wizrd of Oz linked below to be quite interesting.


Same here, Farce! There are so many ways of looking at it. It's definitely not a bedtime story.

hoi.polloi wrote:ICfreely, I have no idea what you are alluding to but check out the subject of how cultural myths appear and flourish.


Thanks, will do! I think a few posts on sense perception would be needed before trying to explain my interpretation. It's nothing mind blowing by any means. I tend to get ahead of myself & lose people. Have to improve organization, I know.


United States was in the middle of the struggle between mono and bi-metalists when this book was written. It was all about money supply , just like today ( Euro crisis, debt ceiling nonsense, austerity etc.). One vested interest wanted to demonetize silver and leave America solely on gold standard thereby shrinking national money supply and forcing bankruptcies, fire sales, putting downward pressure on wages.

They were opposed by more progressive "group" with Baum among them fighting for bimetalic system.

From WickedPedia:

"....The Cross of Gold speech was delivered by William Jennings Bryan, a former United States Representative from Nebraska, at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago on July 9, 1896. In the address, Bryan supported bimetallism or "free silver", which he believed would bring the nation prosperity. He decried the gold standard, concluding the speech, "you shall not crucify mankind upon a cross of gold".[1] Bryan's address helped catapult him to the Democratic Party's presidential nomination; it is considered one of the greatest political speeches in American history.

For twenty years, Americans had been bitterly divided over the nation's monetary standard. The gold standard, which the United States had effectively been on since 1873, limited the money supply but eased trade with other nations, such as the United Kingdom, whose currency was also based on gold. Many Americans, however, believed that bimetallism (making both gold and silver legal tender) was necessary for the nation's economic health. The financial Panic of 1893 intensified the debates, and when Democratic President Grover Cleveland continued to support the gold standard against the will of much of his party, activists became determined to take over the Democratic Party organization and nominate a silver-supporting candidate in 1896.

Bryan had been a dark horse candidate with little support in the convention. His speech, delivered at the close of the debate on the party platform, electrified the convention and is generally credited with getting him the nomination for president. However, he lost the general election to William McKinley and the United States formally adopted the gold standard in 1900..."

From http://www.prosperityuk.com:

"...L. Frank Baum was editor of a South Dakota newspaper and he wrote the first of his Oz series on Bryan’s second attempt in 1900.

Oz is short for ounce, the measure for gold and silver.

Dorothy, hailing from Kansas, represents the commoner.

The Tin Woodsman is the industrial worker, rusted as solid as the factories shut down in the 1893 depression. The Scarecrow is the farmer who apparently doesn’t have the wit to understand his situation or his political interests. The Cowardly Lion is Bryan himself; who had a loud roar but little political power.

The Good Witches represent the magical potential of the people of the North and the South.

After vanquishing the Wicked Witch of the East (the Eastern bankers) Dorothy frees The Munchkins (the little people). With the witch’s silver slippers (the silver standard), Dorothy sets out on the Yellow Brick Road (the gold standard) to the Emerald City (Washington), where they meet the Wizard (the President), who appears powerful, but is ultimately revealed as an illusion; the real Wizard being just a little man who pulls levers behind a curtain.

This can be interpreted in two ways: Either, the President himself is really just a little man who pulls levers to sustain an illusion of power, or, the real power of the President rests with the little men behind the curtains who pull the levers and create the illusion.

When the real Wizard is exposed, the now enlightened Scarecrow denounces him. Dorothy drowns the Wicked Witch of the West (the West Coast elite); the water being an allegory for the Midwest drought. The real Wizard flies away in a hot-air balloon, the Scarecrow is left to govern the Emerald City, the Tin Woodsman rules the West, and the Cowardly Lion returns to the forest where he becomes King of the Beasts after vanquishing a giant spider which was devouring the animals in the forest. Dorothy’s silver slippers were changed to ruby in the 1939 film..."

Maybe it's worth looking at the book from monetary reform angle? :)
bostonterrierowner
Member
 
Posts: 845
Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 11:01 pm

Re: The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Postby ICfreely on October 18th, 2015, 5:12 am

bostonterrierowner wrote:Maybe it's worth looking at the book from monetary reform angle?


I like the way you think BTO! I initially delved into it from the $$$ angle. ;)

I’m totally with you on the monetary standard (oz., yellow brick, silver slippers, etc.). However, I think Emerald City may be the City of London/The Crown (12 crowned heads of Europe = 12 banks of the City?) because it’s the financial headquarters of global finance and purportedly the richest square mile in the world. Moreover, up until a year or two ago N.M. Rothschild fixed the daily price of gold from the City. The Wiz would be the Lord Mayor of the City of London.

Kansas is also the geographic center of America (aka the heartland/flatlands).

The tornado, I think, represents mass hypnosis across the board (cosmologic, economic and psychological). In 1919 WWI ended, J.M. Keynes’ The Economic Consequences of the Peace was published and St. Albert ‘proved’ that the universe is unimaginably larger than previously thought and without a center. It was a coordinated paradigm shift which set the stage for the roaring 1920’s. In a way, the tornado oddly foreshadowed the ‘Dust Bowl’ storms (due to mass foreclosures) which came about after the (not so) great depression.

The Wizard told Scarecrow "Hereafter you will be a great man, for I have given you a lot of bran-new brains."

Bran is another word for wheat. The Wiz obviously pulled a switcheroo & gave Scarecrow the chaff instead!

The Scarecrow (after receiving his diploma) said, "The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. Oh joy, rapture! I've got a brain!"

He misquoted the Pythagorean Theorem ("the sum of the squares of the legs of a right triangle is equal to the square of the hypotenuse.").

In other words, the idiot became a diplomaed idiot. His newfound ‘authority’ gave him the ‘right’ to remain stupid. All puffed up with himself he said, "I feel wise indeed…When I get used to my brains I shall know [the theory of] everything."

Scarecrow (aka Straw Man) may also be an allusion to your ‘legal’ name in all caps (I'm not sure if 'all caps' have any legal significance).

(Commercial law, corporate personhood, incorporation of D.C. in 1871 & U.S.A. in 1878, Bankruptcy and gold confiscation of 1933, etc…)

Tin Woodman (aka TIN Man) could be the Tax Identification Number (Social Security #) of the industrial worker - a heartless, desensitized automaton.

Oz gave Tin Woodman a pretty heart…’made entirely of silk and stuffed with sawdust’ and said, "now you have a heart that any man might be proud of. I'm sorry I had to put a patch on your breast, but it really couldn't be helped."
Woodman basically got the shaft from Oz as well.

The Cowardly Lion was given a green-gold solution to drink and told that it would make him courageous. What happens when a roided coward is placed in a position of power?

Woop-woop! That’s the sound of da police!
Woop-woop! That’s the sound of da beast!


Toto may loosely mean everyone. The little fearless dog pulled the curtain & exposed the Wiz for the old feeble hoaxter that he was. In other words, if everyone saw through the fakery they’d no longer fear TpTB.

Also, the path of the Yellow Brick Road commences in a spiral (golden spiral, golden ratio, golden mean).

Graphically, the Golden Spiral can be connected to the five-pointed star (shown below, and based on f = 0.618033987...) or any of several incarnations. For a real trip, link to…where a variety of images are used to really get your attention. The danger at the latter site, is that you might inadvertently link to the Kabbalah portion of this website (aka Ha Qabala), which might then lead to…where you might become overwhelmed with information.
(http://www.halexandria.org/dward103.htm)


Overwhelmed with information? Isn't that kinda the point?

BTW, illegal drugs are also measured in oz’s. The Wiz is the capo di tutti capi of the drug trade as well (Opium Wars in China & America). Dorothy & co. got knocked the fuck out walking through his potent poppy fields.
I also think The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is as math laden as Alice in Wonderland – just not as obvious
There are so many layers of meaning one can project onto the Wiz. I could go on & on but I’ll stop here for now. Anyhow, thanks for the insights.


P.S. Here’s an odd article I came across:


How to be a Wizard
A wizard opens to synchronicity by following three basic principles.

The first principle is that of wholeness. The more rested I am, the more relaxed my mind and body, the more in touch I am with myself, the more free I feel, the easier my soul, the more whole I am. And the more whole I am, the more synchronicity seems to occur. Conversely, when I am out of balance, tired, stressed, frazzled, wrapped up in concern or in some other way off center, synchronicity does not manifest nearly so abundantly.

A wizard allows inner wholeness to be a priority. A wizard keeps rested, relaxed, centered and clear.

BTW. Another little coincidence. The word "wizard" is one of only six words in the English language that when put in reverse alphabet code (a becomes z, b becomes y, etc) is coded as the original word in reverse, i.e. as "draziw". It is also the longest such word—the other five being "by", "bevy", "grit", "trig", and "wold". Interesting?
http://www.peterrussell.com/PassingThoughts/Wizardry.php




I’m pretty sure there are more than six words, but Wizard is the longest. Marvel at its perfectly symmetrical distribution on a reverse alphabet spreadsheet.


A 1 Z
B 2 Y
C 3 X
D 4 W
E 5 V
F 6 U
G 7 T
H 8 S
I 9 R
J 10 Q
K 11 P
L 12 O
M 13 N
N 14 M
O 15 L
p 16 K
Q 17 J
R 18 I
S 19 H
T 20 G
U 21 F
V 22 E
W 23 D
X 24 C
Y 25 B
Z 26 A

Just a coincidence?
ICfreely
Member
 
Posts: 555
Joined: February 7th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Re: The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Postby bostonterrierowner on October 18th, 2015, 10:19 am

ICfreely wrote:
bostonterrierowner wrote:Maybe it's worth looking at the book from monetary reform angle?


I like the way you think BTO! I initially delved into it from the $$$ angle. ;)

I’m totally with you on the monetary standard (oz., yellow brick, silver slippers, etc.). However, I think Emerald City may be the City of London/The Crown (12 crowned heads of Europe = 12 banks of the City?) because it’s the financial headquarters of global finance and purportedly the richest square mile in the world. Moreover, up until a year or two ago N.M. Rothschild fixed the daily price of gold from the City. The Wiz would be the Lord Mayor of the City of London.

Kansas is also the geographic center of America (aka the heartland/flatlands).

The tornado, I think, represents mass hypnosis across the board (cosmologic, economic and psychological). In 1919 WWI ended, J.M. Keynes’ The Economic Consequences of the Peace was published and St. Albert ‘proved’ that the universe is unimaginably larger than previously thought and without a center. It was a coordinated paradigm shift which set the stage for the roaring 1920’s. In a way, the tornado oddly foreshadowed the ‘Dust Bowl’ storms (due to mass foreclosures) which came about after the (not so) great depression.

The Wizard told Scarecrow "Hereafter you will be a great man, for I have given you a lot of bran-new brains."

Bran is another word for wheat. The Wiz obviously pulled a switcheroo & gave Scarecrow the chaff instead!

The Scarecrow (after receiving his diploma) said, "The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. Oh joy, rapture! I've got a brain!"

He misquoted the Pythagorean Theorem ("the sum of the squares of the legs of a right triangle is equal to the square of the hypotenuse.").

In other words, the idiot became a diplomaed idiot. His newfound ‘authority’ gave him the ‘right’ to remain stupid. All puffed up with himself he said, "I feel wise indeed…When I get used to my brains I shall know [the theory of] everything."

Scarecrow (aka Straw Man) may also be an allusion to your ‘legal’ name in all caps (I'm not sure if 'all caps' have any legal significance).

(Commercial law, corporate personhood, incorporation of D.C. in 1871 & U.S.A. in 1878, Bankruptcy and gold confiscation of 1933, etc…)

Tin Woodman (aka TIN Man) could be the Tax Identification Number (Social Security #) of the industrial worker - a heartless, desensitized automaton.

Oz gave Tin Woodman a pretty heart…’made entirely of silk and stuffed with sawdust’ and said, "now you have a heart that any man might be proud of. I'm sorry I had to put a patch on your breast, but it really couldn't be helped."
Woodman basically got the shaft from Oz as well.

The Cowardly Lion was given a green-gold solution to drink and told that it would make him courageous. What happens when a roided coward is placed in a position of power?

Woop-woop! That’s the sound of da police!
Woop-woop! That’s the sound of da beast!


Toto may loosely mean everyone. The little fearless dog pulled the curtain & exposed the Wiz for the old feeble hoaxter that he was. In other words, if everyone saw through the fakery they’d no longer fear TpTB.

Also, the path of the Yellow Brick Road commences in a spiral (golden spiral, golden ratio, golden mean).

Graphically, the Golden Spiral can be connected to the five-pointed star (shown below, and based on f = 0.618033987...) or any of several incarnations. For a real trip, link to…where a variety of images are used to really get your attention. The danger at the latter site, is that you might inadvertently link to the Kabbalah portion of this website (aka Ha Qabala), which might then lead to…where you might become overwhelmed with information.
(http://www.halexandria.org/dward103.htm)


Overwhelmed with information? Isn't that kinda the point?

BTW, illegal drugs are also measured in oz’s. The Wiz is the capo di tutti capi of the drug trade as well (Opium Wars in China & America). Dorothy & co. got knocked the fuck out walking through his potent poppy fields.
I also think The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is as math laden as Alice in Wonderland – just not as obvious
There are so many layers of meaning one can project onto the Wiz. I could go on & on but I’ll stop here for now. Anyhow, thanks for the insights.


P.S. Here’s an odd article I came across:


How to be a Wizard
A wizard opens to synchronicity by following three basic principles.

The first principle is that of wholeness. The more rested I am, the more relaxed my mind and body, the more in touch I am with myself, the more free I feel, the easier my soul, the more whole I am. And the more whole I am, the more synchronicity seems to occur. Conversely, when I am out of balance, tired, stressed, frazzled, wrapped up in concern or in some other way off center, synchronicity does not manifest nearly so abundantly.

A wizard allows inner wholeness to be a priority. A wizard keeps rested, relaxed, centered and clear.

BTW. Another little coincidence. The word "wizard" is one of only six words in the English language that when put in reverse alphabet code (a becomes z, b becomes y, etc) is coded as the original word in reverse, i.e. as "draziw". It is also the longest such word—the other five being "by", "bevy", "grit", "trig", and "wold". Interesting?
http://www.peterrussell.com/PassingThoughts/Wizardry.php




I’m pretty sure there are more than six words, but Wizard is the longest. Marvel at its perfectly symmetrical distribution on a reverse alphabet spreadsheet.


A 1 Z
B 2 Y
C 3 X
D 4 W
E 5 V
F 6 U
G 7 T
H 8 S
I 9 R
J 10 Q
K 11 P
L 12 O
M 13 N
N 14 M
O 15 L
p 16 K
Q 17 J
R 18 I
S 19 H
T 20 G
U 21 F
V 22 E
W 23 D
X 24 C
Y 25 B
Z 26 A

Just a coincidence?


Impressive insights!

Baum seems to have touched on the subject(s) we are dealing with on CF ( fearless little dog? :) ) . Currency regimes, legal and "educational" systems, "theory of everything" (religion? ), drugs or in other words links in the chain of human slavery.

All camouflaged as a fairy tale for children.

The little fearless dog pulled the curtain & exposed the Wiz for the old feeble hoaxter that he was. In other words, if everyone saw through the fakery they’d no longer fear TpTB.


"...The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled...." - J.K. Galbraith

BTW, Alexander del Mar, an author I stumbled upon ( still not sure how and when, a proof that great things sometimes happen to men unexpectedly and free of charge :) ) over a year ago was the New York state chairman of the Silver Party, and spoke at its 1896 Chicago convention in support of William Jennings Bryan.

Del Mar is a perfect example of academic exclusion. Always a good sign! :)

I try to put my hands on everything he has ever written. I am simply in love with his work.
bostonterrierowner
Member
 
Posts: 845
Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 11:01 pm

Re: The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Postby ICfreely on October 18th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Thanks, BTO! I’ve never heard of Alexander del Mar. I look forward to reading his work. It’s funny how the most profound thinkers, throughout the ages, get relegated to the ash heap of history while pseudo-intellectual empty vessels get canonized.
ICfreely
Member
 
Posts: 555
Joined: February 7th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Re: The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Postby bostonterrierowner on October 18th, 2015, 7:54 pm

ICfreely wrote:Thanks, BTO! I’ve never heard of Alexander del Mar. I look forward to reading his work. It’s funny how the most profound thinkers, throughout the ages, get relegated to the ash heap of history while pseudo-intellectual empty vessels get canonized.


Amen!☺

P.S.

Go to internetarchive.org and download his books.
bostonterrierowner
Member
 
Posts: 845
Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 11:01 pm


Return to THE LIVING ROOM

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests