WALL STREET occupation and truth telling trader

Historical insights & thoughts about the world we live in - and the social conditioning exerted upon us by past and current propaganda.
Mercurial

Re: WALL STREET occupation and truth telling trader

Unread post by Mercurial »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

Sorry to link to the dreaded Mail but some of the images are quite funny.
Maat

Unread post by Maat »

Mercurial wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

Yeah, and ironically demonstrating how easy it is to shoop it too :lol:

Hmm, so "Brian Nguyen" sold his copyright to Reuters already? :P
Ref: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian-nguy ... hotostream
(re http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p2362465)
Also interesting that Nguyen's replies to comments on his Flickr pics claiming he disabled downloads because he didn't want news sites using them "without permission" have been removed (doesn't prevent saving them on Firefox via 'view image info' of course :rolleyes:)

Another AP article about "Lt. John Pike" (supposedly an ex Marine)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1M32LS.DTL
pov603

Unread post by pov603 »

Mercurial wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

Very funny! :lol:
reel.deal
DELETED THEIR OWN POSTS :(

Unread post by reel.deal »

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlYC8Yjirc
B) :lol: :P
reel.deal

Unread post by reel.deal »

:ph34r:
Maat

Unread post by Maat »

It seems very odd to me that all the 'news sites' refer and link to the same YT video attributed to a "UC Davis student Thomas K Fowler" (I have yet to find anything about such a person), along with dramatic claims of students "coughing blood", being hospitalized etc. but no 'victim' identities or verification.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmJmmnMkuEM

e.g.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/1 ... 02728.html
Nov. 19, 9:17 p.m. -- UC Davis student Thomas Fowler, who made perhaps the best-known video capturing the pepper-spray incident at UC Davis, answered several questions in an email exchange with HuffPost.

When the pepper spraying started, he said, "I was just completely appalled, I was just speechless. ... I couldn't fathom what reason they believed they had to spray the students. ...[T]hey could have easily just stepped over them and left peacefully."

Moreover, he said, "No tents were confiscated yesterday. The protesters were able to break them down and get them off the Quad before the police officers could do anything about it. Which makes their actions that much more confusing, seeing that the reason they were called to the campus was to have the tents removed."

Fowler said the mood on the campus "has shifted drastically. A lot of the students who were on the fence or weren't following the movement closely are getting very involved now. There [are] a lot of students calling for the Chancellor's resignation in response to what had occurred yesterday."
Mission accomplished?

Even if the video is real, we still have no way of knowing what was actually in that canister at all — note the bare headed guy in the line, apparently sprayed twice, only adjusts his glasses! :blink: Could it have been a set-up for maximum outrage reaction (diversion/focus)?

http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/22/h ... per-spray/

And who/what the hell is behind this site (that the DailyMail used all those parody pics from): http://www.occupythegame.com/lieutenant_john_pike/

http://www.whois.net/whois/occupythegame.com
whatsgoingon

Unread post by whatsgoingon »

Last edited by whatsgoingon on Fri May 24, 2013 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

Another fundamentally absurd thing about this movement is that, as far as I understand it, nobody in it is simply suggesting or promoting the obvious: let's take all our money out of the banks. Let's stop giving them our money, let's stop getting indebted with the banks, let's stop "investing" our money with the banks.
Why wasting our time with the concept of "occupy"? That's just another way to try and use the media (which means, of course, being used by the media.)
Besides, it is not about how the banks behave (because it is their nature to behave that way, and there is no "educating" and "correcting" banks and corporations. It would be like correcting a lion, or a tornado.)
It is about how we behave, and what we expect from our money.
The point is not "occupying"... How about, instead, cut them off at the source?
whatsgoingon

Last edited by whatsgoingon on Fri May 24, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

whatsgoingon wrote:
nonhocapito wrote:Another fundamentally absurd thing about this movement is that, as far as I understand it, nobody in it is simply suggesting or promoting the obvious: let's take all our money out of the banks. Let's stop giving them our money, let's stop getting indebted with the banks, let's stop "investing" our money with the banks.
Why wasting our time with the concept of "occupy"? That's just another way to try and use the media (which means, of course, being used by the media.)
Besides, it is not about how the banks behave (because it is their nature to behave that way, and there is no "educating" and "correcting" banks and corporations. It would be like correcting a lion, or a tornado.)
It is about how we behave, and what we expect from our money.
The point is not "occupying"... How about, instead, cut them off at the source?
This is very true and why I am not going to participate myself. As I see it, the way I spend my money and so forth is the political act that matters. It is millions of individual day by day choices that matter. Problem is that people want more jobs in their country but they buy cheap imports from China. Jobs move to China where the money is flowing. My response would be buy nothing unless you need it. I usually look whether I can make it myself, use something I already have, borrow it, buy it locally, buy it from my country, then as a last resort (if I really need it) buy it as an import. But honestly I am done with the economy and certainly no protest can fix it. Only our collective choices, which is well why the media use so many powerful tools to control the sheep.

Because that is what matters -- not politics -- individual economic daily boring run-of-the-mill choices.
No, it's not true.

Actually, there was a sudden coordinated shift of money out of the banks and sometimes even into local credit unions that took place in November. More shifts are planned as the movement grows and more people learn that this simple trick can starve the debt-creating banks. Unsurprisingly, the media did not report this shift.

I understand your skepticism of millions of people, but why can't you guys see that their outrage with the system is as genuine is your own?

Again, I stress that if you have such suggestions you take them to the streets where people are open to them rather than complaining that none of them knows your brilliant strategy. Have no other Americans on this board have the slightest curiosity about collaborating with fellow citizens?

Don't you trust your own abilities to navigate the crowd?

Of course individual choices are ultimately what makes the difference but if you think this little forum is the way to get out the message to millions when you could just actually go outside and make it count right now why wouldn't you? I really do not understand this.
nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

hoi.polloi wrote:Actually, there was a sudden coordinated shift of money out of the banks and sometimes even into local credit unions that took place in November. More shifts are planned as the movement grows and more people learn that this simple trick can starve the debt-creating banks. Unsurprisingly, the media did not report this shift.
I didn't know about this. I suppose this is good news! I suppose there might be "censorship" about this on the media (but then why the media talk about "Occupy" so much every day?) On the other hand I am also quite sure that if the keyword of the movement had unequivocally been "take your money out of the bank!", we all would have heard about it.
hoi.polloi wrote:Again, I stress that if you have such suggestions you take them to the streets where people are open to them rather than complaining that none of them knows your brilliant strategy.
Meh. I appreciate that you, Hoi, and other well-meaning people are invested in this movement and in the idea of "taking it to the streets": but this doesn't mean that from now on every argument must end with "take it to the street or shut up". Especially not on this forum. We certainly know how to make use of other ways other than "taking to the street" to make progress here.

I have enough experience of "movements" to know that they are completely uninterested in me taking skepticism to them. In any case, I am not "complaining that nobody knows my brilliant strategy". I have absolutely no strategy.
At the moment, all I am doing is expressing doubts, which can be just as useful as embracing a cause.

What's certain is that one day does not go by without "Occupy" being mentioned by mainstream media as a global reality -- which, sorry, is enough for me to feel repulsed by it. I don't want to offend anyone, but they feel like a CIA-run operation at this stage, like Anonymous or the middle east "revolutions". And, unfortunately, it matters not if real lives and real hopes and real actions are caught in it, because it always happens like that.

As to my personal involvement: Personally I have yet too much to understand about this world. Too much before I can feel confident that I can join the good guys in a fight rather than being tricked by the bad guys to waste my time for them. It is not surprising that, being a member of the cluesforum, with the odd sort of knowledge that this implies, my ability to feel invested in a "movement" is lacking. I am OK with this, and I'd rather hold on to this sort of skepticism right now. Times are not a-changing, for me.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

:rolleyes:

This board is a spambot magnet, how about closing admissions, prospectives can join by email to admin or the mods? Just as much work as cleaning-up after these scum continuously.
Maat

Unread post by Maat »

Punjabi spammer now wiped ;)
Only Simon, Hoi & Nonho can change permissions, but I think it's better if they can be seen by everyone to be a troll, spammer, whatever, rather than leave the judgement decision to us alone, don't you think? Then we can't get blamed for 'letting one through' if they turn out to be scum later :D
whatsgoingon

Last edited by whatsgoingon on Fri May 24, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.