Kony

Historical insights & thoughts about the world we live in - and the social conditioning exerted upon us by past and current propaganda.
Pug

Kony

Unread post by Pug »

Hey guys,

Once again, I'm unsure whether this is the right place to post this new question, however I'm sure it will be decided upon soon nonetheless.

This week the news and every social media was bombarded by this massive viral of Kony 2012. I was going to post up a link, but to be honest, I just didn't feel the need.

I have just been criticized for posting a different view of this on my personal facebook page, which has made me think even more that this campaign could most certainly be engineered by a higher power. Is this Kony another Osama in the making? Another baddie on the run?

I said it could be another reason to go into African and get some new Ugandan oil. It's also a possibility to halt Chinese expansion as well. I received this comment back:

"So you're saying that this non profit who's been in existence for 9 years and lobbying to get support from the Congress to help abducted children, decided this year to plot with Obama to send some troops to get oil in Uganda? I'm not an expert at all in African politics. None of us are. At this point, I'm not even certain if the intention of Invisible Children is self serving or not given the huge controversy, but I'm also interested in people taking a stand against the video and being able to back up what they say. Do you have anything to confirm the oil plot? Very curious to read it if you do."

I haven't responded as one, I wanted to gain some of your thoughts on it before I did and two, I didn't want to get into a tit for tat nonsense, especially on the social media sites and ruin any relationship I have regarding my work. That said, I would like to respond.

This whole viral looks slick and well produced. In a matter of days it's gained global attention. You're demonized if you speak against it. I'm sure people on FB just click 'share' without even watching the video. I think it's a very, very clever piece of campaigning, but I really feel it's not to get people to feel bad for Ugandan children.

Thoughts guys!
Cheers,
Pug
pov603

Re: Kony

Unread post by pov603 »

K-nock O-ut N-ew Y-ork anyone?
Pug

Unread post by Pug »

I thought very similar. <_<

In fact I was just passed a link to the International Business Times mentioning Oil.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/312028/ ... es-oil.htm
daozen

Unread post by daozen »

I inmediately thought of a psy-something when I first saw the link. A friend of mine who I categorize as an expert propaganda swallower sent me the vid, I just skimmed over it, seems like the work of our dearly beloved indeed. Now let's just see how they translate the hype into going in a democrazing Ugandans. Thanks whatsgoingon, your info makes it clearer for me. Wait a minute, I'm thinking out loud now, they might be realizing Iran is too big to swallow so they are looking at smaller prey...?
daozen

Unread post by daozen »

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Z0Z33ODD4
Guerrero

Unread post by Guerrero »

I too thought this whole KONY thing was suspect. The first time it came across my awareness was on a Yahoo News comment thread regarding the US Republican primaries...someone posted KONY2012 over and over again in this one comment. Looked like random spamming to me so I didn't think too much of it. Not even curious enough to google it. Then on Facebook when some "friends" who never post anything regarding activism or world news related or political, shared the link of the video and the whole FB campaign think, that's when I got suspicious. Like someone mentioned above, these "friends" seem to be people who swallow any and all propaganda. That's when I did a little more research and noticed some others pointing out the whole Ugandan oil connection, the fact that KONY has been out of Uganda since 2006,(if he even exists)...and it's just seems like a really slick campaign with major hit in a very small timeframe and is already getting media attention outside the internet (it's being talked about on morning radio shows...). All the while I'm thinking, either this is to generate focus on someone who does exist, but it's old news and kind of irrelevant at this point, in order to draw attention away from the real crap that is happening real time, or it's a total psy-op...where Kony doesn't even exist and it will blow up into something larger that will get the US getting support to get involved in this country so that they can do more oil grabbing. All I know is that when anything blows up on in any kind of media, internet or otherwise, like this, and everyone and their mother (people who usually don't stick their nose outside of their minivan bubble) are "oh so concerned" and sharing their "concern" on Facebook, or calling into radio shows to get dj's to talk about it,.... I smell a huge propaganda stink. The exact purpose and meaning behind it, that's what is not totally clear.
daozen

Unread post by daozen »

Guerrero wrote:Then on Facebook when some "friends" who never post anything regarding activism or world news related or political, shared the link of the video and the whole FB campaign think, that's when I got suspicious. Like someone mentioned above, these "friends" seem to be people who swallow any and all propaganda.
lol, exactly. These people are a blessing, they are like propaganda measuring sticks! :P
or it's a total psy-op...where Kony doesn't even exist and it will blow up into something larger that will get the US getting support to get involved in this country so that they can do more oil grabbing....

...The exact purpose and meaning behind it, that's what is not totally clear.
I would even bet on it.

I think the above video with Webster Tarpley, who seems to have extensive research on the matter, points out very clear possibilites about the purpose of this hoax.
Makkonen

Unread post by Makkonen »

I'm kind of disappointed that these so-called spontaneous media phenomena which (always) appear out of thin air aren't treated with more scrutiny by "socially/politically active" people (including some of my friends). In a (very real) sense, media has managed to capture any (surface level) "anti-establishment" sentiments into these periodic hangouts that become sort of statements of lifestyle at the grassroots level. "Cool", "participating", "conscious", etc. But that's all it is, because the psy-operation happens on the surface, the media, which is now a production facility for incessant fakery. The irony is not lost on anyone, I might hope. B)
warriorhun

Unread post by warriorhun »

Dear All,

I was really shocked by the Kony 2012 video...
I mean, come on...2012???
Lady Alice founded the Lord's Resistance Army in the 1980s for God's sake! Their child-soldiering and girl-sex-toying practices are with us since decades!
Is it possible that there are people who hear about Joseph Kony the first time in 2012??? I first heard about him and his bunch of lunatics like, what, 10 or 20 years ago!?!
The world very well knew what's going on in Uganda, but-let's face it-nobody gave a fuck. (And rightly so: colonisation is over, the last evil white man left Africa decades ago, the locals can do with each other whatever they want. If they want to turn their continent into a peaceful, earthly paradise, I wish them good luck. If they want to chop each other up with pangas, its their decision. This is what free will and democracy is all about). And it is not as if the Ugandans would rush to our aid if we were in trouble, mind you.
Even the child-soldier bit is overhyped as if it was some newfangled, previously un-imagined evil. Do you know where does the military term INFANTry come from? Yep.
Now, every man and his dog cries to "stop" Kony. How to do it without military intervention? And how to do a military intervention against the LRA without shooting lots of the very child-soldiers we want to "save"? And if Kony is killed, then Uganda will turn into Western Switzerland overnight like Iraq did after the execution of Saddam or what?
Maybe they picked on Kony now because the LRA is supposed to be "Christian" and today all the new "Hitlers" are Muslims, and this is not PC and appears a bit "Islamophobic"-(still, to pick on a black man as evil seems like a bit "racist" LOL). But, I'm afraid even the blindest Atheist must admit that the LRA interprets Scripture in a rather un-orthodox way. The finer points of the message of Jesus, things like "turn the other cheek" or "thou shalt not kill" is rather lost on those folks. I bet most of the LRA rank and file did not really read the Bible, on account of being illiterate 12 year olds stoned on ganja. Otherwise they would not apply capital punishment to those sinners who break that famous Commandment of God, the one saying "thou shalt not ride a bicycle" and I was not joking with that one either.

All in all, the moral of the story is:
1. You won't change the world with Facebook-activity. Not now, not ever.
2. It is never one single, evil man who fucks up a country, without whom there would be peace and love and democracy. If a country is fucked up, that is beacause lots of people benefit (locals included) from it and like to keep it that way.
3. Do not send money for noble causes. Spend it on weed or hookers, because if you don't, then those will to whom you sent the money.
4. With Media propaganda, you can direct the attention, the thoughts, the conversation topics, etc... of your audience. Same old, same old.

(And that said, I have to admit my heart goes out to all those poor Ugandan kids, little black boys and girls and their parents.)
nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

warriorhun wrote:And rightly so: colonisation is over, the last evil white man left Africa decades ago, the locals can do with each other whatever they want. If they want to turn their continent into a peaceful, earthly paradise, I wish them good luck. If they want to chop each other up with pangas, its their decision. This is what free will and democracy is all about.
Ha-ha, good one. Except the corporations and their investments, aided by "our" military presence in the continent, can basically do and undo whatever is desired in Africa, which appears to be mostly ruled by fake governments that are for sale. A general tendency of corruption that is probably being followed by China or India today (hence the Darfour). You can blame this on the african people, if it makes you feel better. But when a rich, resourceful man corrupts a poor, struggling one, I tend to blame it on the rich one. Don't you?
I agree that Africa should be really left alone: taking nothing from them, "giving" (as in charity, as in "humanitarian" military intervention etc) nothing to them. But this isn't the situation at all right now. Unless you think that the Libyan war, for instance, or the Somali one, were caused by the desire of the locals to chop each other up.

I agree that Kony being described as a fundamentalist christian is a factor, anyway. So was Brevik...
nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

In the case of KONY, the military agenda is disguised as grassroots activism, where the US army entering Uganda would be perceived as a “victory of the people”, effectively reversing the communications model. (...)
By creating this “movement” and making young people actually DEMAND the U.S. government intervene in Africa, the masterminds behind this campaign would manage the impossible: Reversing the propaganda model in order to make it emanate from the people. By doing so, the elite’s agenda is not only accepted by the masses, it is perceived as a victory by them.
http://vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantrepo ... eneration/
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

+

Holy crap!...

I have just watched the 29-minutes KONY 2012 war propaganda commercial - and am trying to retain my :puke: (puke)

Please, fellow earthlings, please...

GET A GRIP OF THE FACT THAT THIS IS THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS WAR PROPAGANDA EVER TO FILL YOUR SCREENS ! KONY IS THE NEW BINLADEN!

And the REAL face of Facebook has emerged: it's a war-propaganda machine disguised as a "social network"!

Let me link you to a VERY RARE mainstream media article containing some snippets of truth:
As of today, the KONY 2012 video has had 78 million views on Youtube. That's after only ten/eleven days of being uploaded...
I mean, come on! And just look at the folks who endorse it! Have you ever seen a more transparent CIA operation?
Makkonen

Unread post by Makkonen »

This is indeed a very sad affair... :(
warriorhun

Unread post by warriorhun »

Dear All,

Maybe one of the reasons is the oil fields in South Sudan.

Now that South Sudan became an independent state with U.N. and U.S. backing, the oil has to be transported. My guess the transportation route will end at Mombasa harbour, Kenya. Some of the oil transportation route has to cut through Northern Uganda, our new famous best mate Kony's stomping ground. Now oil is serious business, and the oil route can not be threatened by a bunch of AK-wielding schoolkids high on whatever drug is popular in that neck of the woods, don't you think?
RoyBean

Unread post by RoyBean »

Youth Movement Promotes US Military Presence in Central Africa
Written by Nile Bowie
Edward Bernays believed that society could not be trusted to make rational and informed decisions on their own, and that guiding public opinion was essential within a democratic society. Bernays founded the Council on Public Relations and his 1928 book, Propaganda cites the methodology used in the application of effective emotional communication. He discovered that such communication is capable of manipulating the unconscious in an effort to produce a desired effect – namely, a capacity to manufacture mass social adherence in support of products, political candidates and social movements. Nearly a century after his heyday, Bernays’ methodology is apparent in almost every form of civic and consumer persuasion. The platform of social media is being used in unprecedented new ways, one such example is a new online documentary about the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), an extremist rebel group operating in Central Africa.

The documentary is unprecedented, not for its educational attributes but for its capacity to use visual branding, merchandising and highly potent emotional communication to influence the viewer to support US military operations in resource rich Central Africa under the pretext of capturing the LRA’s commander, Joseph Kony. The Lord’s Resistance Army was originally formed in 1987 in northwestern Uganda by members of the Acholi ethnic group, who were historically exploited as forced laborers by the British colonialists and later relegated by the nation’s dominant ethic groups following independence. Together with the Holy Spirit Movement, the LRA represented the armed wing of a resistance faction aiming to overthrow the government of current Ugandan President and staunch US military ally, Yoweri Museveni.

This is the first large-scale campaign to mobilize social medialites to aggregate public support for what would otherwise be, controversial pro-intervention US foreign policy. The production relies on highly charged and often unrelated emotional triggers, which ultimately rely on the viewers sense of compassion in tandem with a lack of prior information on the subject to produce a desired result – explicitly, the villainous mythification of Kony and the mainstream acceptance of US presence in Africa through a proposed archipelago of AFRICOM military bases in the region.

Invisible Children has partnered with two other organizations, Resolve and Digitaria, to create the LRA Crisis Tracker, a digital crisis-mapping platform that broadcasts attacks allegedly committed by the LRA. On its list of corporate sponsors, Resolve lists Human Rights Watch and the International Rescue Committee. Digitaria’s website boasts commercial clients such as CBS, FOX, MTV, ESPN, Adidas, NFL, Qualcomm, NBC, National Geographic, Hasbro and Warner Brothers. While KONY 2012 attempts to portray itself as an indigenous activist movement bent on bringing justice to African children, its parent organization is affiliated with the upper echelon of the US corporate media and a network of foundation-funded pro-war civil society groups with a long history of fomenting pro-US regime change under the banner of democratic institution building.

Through AFRICOM, the United States is seeking a foothold in the incredibly resource rich central African block in a further maneuver to aggregate regional hegemony over China. DRC is one of the world’s largest regions without an effectively functioning government. It contains vast deposits of diamonds, cobalt, copper, uranium, magnesium, and tin while producing over $1 billion in gold each year. It is entirely feasible that the US can considerably increase its presence in DRC under the pretext of capturing Joseph Kony. The US may further mobilize ground forces, in addition to the use of predator drones and targeted missile strikes, inevitably killing civilians. In a press conference at the House Armed Services Committee on March 13, 2008, AFRICOM Commander, General William Ward stated that AFRICOM will further its regional presence by "operating under the principle theatre-goal of combating terrorism". 

During an AFRICOM Conference held at Fort McNair on February 18, 2008, Vice Admiral Robert T. Moeller openly declared AFRICOM’s guiding principle as protecting “the free flow of natural resources from Africa to the global market”, before citing China’s increasing presence in the region as challenging to American interests.The crimes of the Lord’s Resistance Army have been documented in the past and they are truly despicable actions. Presently, the operations of the LRA have nearly dissolved and their presence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is difficult to verify. While the pro-war filmmakers behind KONY 2012 naively call for the US military to assert its place in the conflict, an independent fact finding mission would be far more effective in assessing the seriousness of the LRA threat in the present day.

http://nilebowie.blogspot.com/2012/03/y ... itary.html