Bangladesh building collapse

Historical insights & thoughts about the world we live in - and the social conditioning exerted upon us by past and current propaganda.
brianv

Re: Bangladesh building collapse

Unread post by brianv »

Maat wrote:
sunshine05 wrote: And look at this one. What is going on in this photo? A photo of a woman seated on a chair and then what is in the background?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/10/world/asi ... index.html
Well, this 'photo of a photo' gets my vote for the most surreal in this photoshooped pile of poo — the female figure is "seated" on a levitating chair with her back to a mirror that's showing her face (with a square 'halo')! Image :wacko:

Original Exif data | ELA

Salvador Dali fan? Beats weightless timezone-spanning asses, I reckon :lol:
edit and quote, damn page turn.

Beats weightless timezone-spanning asses :o
:lol:
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

It's odd but I can't actually tell the difference between Reuters, World Press Photo, Drik News, The New Internationalist, photography equipment companies or governments. They all seem to be shaking hands quite a bit. Although Andrew Biraj (credited with this photo) is listed at World Press Photo (sponsored by Canon and the Dutch lottery of all things), his portrait photographer Saiful Huq Omi is also listed there, and Saiful's portrait appears to be done by yet another Bangladeshi photographer/organization ("Md Main Uddin" and "Drik") which links back to The New Internationalist, which as far as I can tell is Oxford, UK again. Andrew Biraj ("Barrage!") was educated in the UK. World Press Photo's sponsor SkyNet Worldwide Express was created in London (but is now in Lebanon?) and so on.

Reuters. Associated Press. Whatever this jumble of pseudo-British things is. A whole lotta' London and Netherlands goin' on with this Indian news.

---

Edit: check out the "correspondents" pages from Drik news. http://www.driknews.com/user/index#

Really simmy stuff. Looks like vicsims of "terrorism" rejects. Why should professional photographers all be photographed the same way as vicsims? I smell someone trying to get away with another use of their cheap profile-generating software.
drik1.JPG
drik1.JPG (89.4 KiB) Viewed 4663 times
I am only left scratching my head at why they must create another false expansion of the size of the media. I guess if people saw just how few people are really producing all the news around the world, it would be frustrating so they have to invent "news companies" and populate them with sims.

By the way, is "drik" meant to be a joke? In Dutch, drik is reminiscent of drukkerij, which means "printing house" and also translates as "drink" in Danish, besides sounding like drink in English as well. The logo is almost nonsensical but kind of resembles the 2012 Olympics jumble with letters pointing in different directions but slightly resembling "Zion".

I can almost hear them laughing at this logo design and telling us, "Lap it up, we're producing pics faster than you can pick 'em apart!"
Maat

Unread post by Maat »

Hmm. According to this article by A.H. Jaffor Ullah (July 3, 2001), “In Sanskrit Drik means seeing or viewing”*: http://www.oocities.org/jaffor/articles ... 1.html.tmp

Interesting how Image actually describe themselves on their About Us:
Images shape our perceptions. The manufacture of consent has rarely been more engineered. With everything from wars to presidential campaigns being stage managed and with mainstream news increasingly fed by official sources, reliance on usual sources of news images has become increasingly dangerous. Majority world countries suffer particularly from stereotypical representations, and while the media worldwide is increasingly being dominated by a few players, it becomes particularly important for news sources to be diverse and varied. With Getty and Corbis controlling the stock market, and Reuters, AP, AFP and EPA dominating the wires, communities in the west are looking for new ways to challenge established media, especially through citizen journalism.

The majority world has traditionally been represented by white, middle class, western photographers. But having local photographers is not in itself sufficient. While editorial control remains in the North, stories will continue to have a northern slant, and the only way in which this can be challenged is through alternative sources being formed that are independent of western and corporate media.

DrikNEWS is designed to fill this void. This agency, an independent body of Drik Picture Library, aims to cover news photography and investigative reporting by disseminating both locally and internationally through the web.
[emphasis added]
Controlled opposition; merde alors.

* Ref dṛk: http://sanskritdictionary.com/?q=d%E1%B9%9Bk
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

While editorial control remains in the North, stories will continue to have a northern slant, and the only way in which this can be challenged is through alternative sources being formed that are independent of western and corporate media.

DrikNEWS is designed to fill this void.
lulz.

What a colonialist perspective and argument: if non-Anglos are doing something that Anglos are doing, there must be "a void" to fill so that everyone behaves like white people. Somebody in London has read too much Guns, Germs and Steel and thinks that technology is a linear line of progress that every culture must absorb and adopt. This stinks of "white" arrogance, and controlled opposition. Good call.