Freeimagehosting.net malware problem

How to register at Cluesforum / General administrative topics / and things that every member must read

Freeimagehosting.net malware problem

Postby nonhocapito on December 28th, 2012, 2:11 am

[I'm posting here question and answer from another thread, relative to certain "malware" "attack page" warnings issued by some browsers if a user post images hosted on freeimagehosting.net]

elmoastro wrote:Clicking on pg 24 of the Newtown thread yields a google page warning about malware due to a link to freeimagehosting.net.


elmoastro, are you blocked from reading the whole page or only the images are blocked?

This seems to be caused by the images posted by Seth at this post: viewtopic.php?p=2379349#p2379349

I assume there is nothing harmful in the images themselves, however certain browsers flag freeimagehosting.net as a malicious website and issue a warning, probably because it hosts a "Free Virus Remover" on its pages that must be one of those fake antivirus programs.

If this gives problems or bothers many users maybe we'll invite all members not to use that particular hosting service, or ban it altogether from our pages.

Personally I only get the warning in firefox if I try to look at the pictures by themselves. But I get no warning by simply browsing page 24 of that thread itself.
nonhocapito
Administrator
 
Posts: 2455
Joined: July 10th, 2010, 6:38 am
Location: Italy

Re: Freeimagehosting.net malware problem

Postby hoi.polloi on December 28th, 2012, 2:56 am

Tested on Chrome or alike Linux browsers I also receive the whole page blocked with the message "Something isn't right" about the site, citing the image host.

So maybe yes, we should forbid freeimagehosting.net
hoi.polloi
Administrator
 
Posts: 4703
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Re: Freeimagehosting.net malware problem

Postby elmoastro on December 28th, 2012, 8:16 am

hoi.polloi wrote:Tested on Chrome or alike Linux browsers I also receive the whole page blocked with the message "Something isn't right" about the site, citing the image host.

So maybe yes, we should forbid freeimagehosting.net


That's what I got on comodo dragon.
elmoastro
Member
 
Posts: 81
Joined: December 8th, 2012, 10:41 pm

Re: Freeimagehosting.net malware problem

Postby nonhocapito on December 28th, 2012, 9:08 am

OK, I edited the embedding of those images out of that post. To everyone who reads this: In the future let's not use that hosting service.
nonhocapito
Administrator
 
Posts: 2455
Joined: July 10th, 2010, 6:38 am
Location: Italy

Re: Freeimagehosting.net malware problem

Postby Seth on January 25th, 2013, 5:42 am

Hi all,

I was the one that posted the images to that site. I just wanted to upload quickly without registering and all that jazz and that was one of the first places that came up on a search.

The malware warning may be bona-fide, and it might be bullshit. Another political forum I sometimes frequent - http://www.dailypaul.com (Ron Paul Fan Site) has also made it to the "warning list" - at various times when there has, to my knowledge, been no good reason for it. The site owner at dailypaul has had some issues getting the site's url off the warning list. It seems to me that this warning system might be being used as a political tool, or web traffic redirection.

I noticed Google Chrome was mentioned. May I offer this video as a warning to those who use google in general, and Google Chrome in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbBDQgF ... 3g&index=1

Google has become something of a monster, and I for one have largely stopped using it. There are some more private options out there such as duckduckgo.com and/or the use of the TOR network.

More on Google:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ywHp0mFUSg

If staff asks me, I'll re-edit my post linked to on this thread and find another hosting site. I think the images I posted are now (here at cluesforum and elsewhere) somewhat public knowledge.

Edit/Update: Went to the link for the post and clicked on the url's for the freeimagehosting.net links and my browser (Firefox) did not bring up a warning. However, this could be because I have both AdBlockPlus and Ghostery installed.
Seth
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: September 3rd, 2012, 2:26 pm

Re: Freeimagehosting.net malware problem

Postby brianv on January 25th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Seth wrote:Hi all,

I was the one that posted the images to that site. I just wanted to upload quickly without registering and all that jazz and that was one of the first places that came up on a search.

The malware warning may be bona-fide, and it might be bullshit. Another political forum I sometimes frequent (Ron Paul Shite) has also made it to the "warning list" - at various times when there has, to my knowledge, been no good reason for it. The site owner at dailypaul has had some issues getting the site's url off the warning list. It seems to me that this warning system might be being used as a political tool, or web traffic redirection.

I noticed Google Chrome was mentioned. May I offer this video as a warning to those who use google in general, and Google Chrome in particular:

Google has become something of a monster, and I for one have largely stopped using it. There are some more private options out there such as fuckduckduckgodotcon and/or the use of the TOR network.

More on Google:

If staff asks me, I'll re-edit my post linked to on this thread and find another hosting site. I think the images I posted are now (here at cluesforum and elsewhere) somewhat public knowledge.

Edit/Update: Went to the link for the post and clicked on the url's for the links and my browser (Firefox) did not bring up a warning. However, this could be because I have both AdBlockPlus and Ghostery installed.


You can kill the link spamming especially to that ronpaul wanker site!
brianv
Member
 
Posts: 3801
Joined: October 18th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Re: Freeimagehosting.net malware problem

Postby Seth on January 25th, 2013, 9:47 pm

brianv wrote:
Seth wrote:Hi all,

I was the one that posted the images to that site. I just wanted to upload quickly without registering and all that jazz and that was one of the first places that came up on a search.

The malware warning may be bona-fide, and it might be bullshit. Another political forum I sometimes frequent (Ron Paul Shite) has also made it to the "warning list" - at various times when there has, to my knowledge, been no good reason for it. The site owner at dailypaul has had some issues getting the site's url off the warning list. It seems to me that this warning system might be being used as a political tool, or web traffic redirection.

I noticed Google Chrome was mentioned. May I offer this video as a warning to those who use google in general, and Google Chrome in particular:

Google has become something of a monster, and I for one have largely stopped using it. There are some more private options out there such as fuckduckduckgodotcon and/or the use of the TOR network.

More on Google:

If staff asks me, I'll re-edit my post linked to on this thread and find another hosting site. I think the images I posted are now (here at cluesforum and elsewhere) somewhat public knowledge.

Edit/Update: Went to the link for the post and clicked on the url's for the links and my browser (Firefox) did not bring up a warning. However, this could be because I have both AdBlockPlus and Ghostery installed.


You can kill the link spamming especially to that ronpaul wanker site!


I wouldn't have written my reply, along with an explanation (yes that included links) had this not become an issue that merited it's own thread topic here at CluesForum. I noticed you edited my post in your quote of it, and pretty rudely at that. If you think duckduckgo is a "con", educate me. If you think those youtube videos on google are completely without merit, why? As for the RP site, well, whatever, thanks for "wanker" title by association, but I had no purpose in "promoting" it (and don't) other than to illustrate the point in my original reply.
Seth
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: September 3rd, 2012, 2:26 pm


Return to HOW TO REGISTER at CLUESFORUM - and other tips

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest