REQUIRED: Introduce Yourself

How to register at Cluesforum / General administrative topics / and things that every member must read
The_Thinker

Re: REQUIRED: Introduce Yourself

Unread post by The_Thinker »

Maat wrote:Hi Chris,

So how far do you travel to work then? I'd also like to know where you were raised and educated (US or UK).
I only travel about a 25 minute bus journey to work. Just to the next town over. There's a local bus service called the Loop, which well, does a loop around Thanet. They're pretty regular.

I was born, raised and educated in the UK. I was born in the town of Margate in Thanet, which is pretty close by, I was also raised in Thanet, and went to local schools; Dame Janet Infant School and Dame Janet Junior School, followed by Hereson Secondary School. I then went on to study courses at Thanet College, and then Canterbury Christchurch University.
Maat

Unread post by Maat »

The_Thinker wrote: I was born, raised and educated in the UK. I was born in the town of Margate in Thanet, which is pretty close by, I was also raised in Thanet, and went to local schools; Dame Janet Infant School and Dame Janet Junior School, followed by Hereson Secondary School. I then went on to study courses at Thanet College, and then Canterbury Christchurch University.
Ok, I was just curious how you would have picked up that American "off of" usage which English grammarians find so annoying :P
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Maat wrote:
The_Thinker wrote: I was born, raised and educated in the UK. I was born in the town of Margate in Thanet, which is pretty close by, I was also raised in Thanet, and went to local schools; Dame Janet Infant School and Dame Janet Junior School, followed by Hereson Secondary School. I then went on to study courses at Thanet College, and then Canterbury Christchurch University.
Ok, I was just curious how you would have picked up that American "off of" usage which English grammarians find so annoying :P
He's going to love it here, what with all that skool smarts and edumacation! It's actually called "Loose Change" not Loose Chance as per his first post. :rolleyes:

Hows your C++ Design Patterns coming along Chris? Oh, and welcome btw!
The_Thinker

Maat wrote:
Oh I see. :)

I'm not sure where I might have picked it up. But, I can use 'off from' instead from now on, haha. ^_^
He's going to love it here, what with all that skool smarts and edumacation! It's actually called "Loose Change" not Loose Chance as per his first post. :rolleyes:
Is this directed at me? I didn't actually mention Loose Change in my first post at all. :huh:
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

The_Thinker wrote:
Maat wrote:
Oh I see. :)

I'm not sure where I might have picked it up. But, I can use 'off from' instead from now on, haha. ^_^
Is this directed at me? I didn't actually mention Loose Change in my first post at all. :huh:
I do apologise, it was "TrannyNews" :lol:. I mixed up your posts, they are quite alike!
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

The_Thinker wrote:I was born, raised and educated in the UK. I was born in the town of Margate in Thanet, which is pretty close by, I was also raised in Thanet, and went to local schools; Dame Janet Infant School and Dame Janet Junior School, followed by Hereson Secondary School. I then went on to study courses at Thanet College, and then Canterbury Christchurch University.
Thank you, you're awesome! I can't stand it when I get the response 'near London', whenever I, as an American, ask someone where he was born, or now lives. While most Americans are stupid fools, thinking 2 days in London means 'they've seen Britain', I've actually spent huge amounts of time visiting very small places all over Britain.

Yes, I've been to Ramsgate, and love Richborough Roman Fort! Since it is only 5 miles SW of Ramsgate (and 2 miles NW of Sandwich), may I assume you visited there on a school field-trip?

Ten months ago, friend of my partner's was stunned when, after telling me he and his wife were renting a cottage for 6 weeks at Buckland, Cotswolds, I immediately responded that I myself 15 years ago spent a week in a cottage in Willersey (just 4 miles north of Buckland, on the other side of Broadway, thought to be the most beautiful of all Cotswold villages).

MsQ

Unread post by MsQ »

fbenario wrote: I can't stand it when I get the response 'near London', whenever I, as an American, ask someone where he was born, or now lives. While most Americans are stupid fools, thinking 2 days in London means 'they've seen Britain', I've actually spent huge amounts of time visiting very small places all over Britain.
I get this a lot too from Brits over here - and I'm English. I find it annoying too.
Love photos Fbenario, it's great that you've seen so much and know about the beautiful parts of Britain. I really miss the countryside and history!

Hi Thinker, I'm from neighbouring East Sussex, (Hastings.) :)
The_Thinker

brianv wrote:I do apologise, it was "TrannyNews" :lol:. I mixed up your posts, they are quite alike!
Thankyou, and no worries. :)
Thank you, you're awesome! I can't stand it when I get the response 'near London', whenever I, as an American, ask someone where he was born, or now lives. While most Americans are stupid fools, thinking 2 days in London means 'they've seen Britain', I've actually spent huge amounts of time visiting very small places all over Britain.

Yes, I've been to Ramsgate, and love Richborough Roman Fort! Since it is only 5 miles SW of Ramsgate (and 2 miles NW of Sandwich), may I assume you visited there on a school field-trip?
No problem at all. I currently reside in Ramsgate, and yes I have been to the Richborough Roman Fort (also known as Reculver towers) on a school trip no less!
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

MsQ wrote:
fbenario wrote: I can't stand it when I get the response 'near London', whenever I, as an American, ask someone where he was born, or now lives. While most Americans are stupid fools, thinking 2 days in London means 'they've seen Britain', I've actually spent huge amounts of time visiting very small places all over Britain.
I get this a lot too from Brits over here - and I'm English. I find it annoying too.
Love photos Fbenario, it's great that you've seen so much and know about the beautiful parts of Britain. I really miss the countryside and history!

Hi Thinker, I'm from neighbouring East Sussex, (Hastings.) :)
Ooh, I visited Hastings and stayed in Bexhill for a few days. Yes, beautiful and historic!
westhammer

Unread post by westhammer »

hi,thanks for letting me join.
never really looked into the 9/11 and other things,found you site about 6 months ago and i must say i'm well impressed.
westhammer

Re: Aurora Colorado "Dark Knight Rises" Theater Shooting 20-

Unread post by westhammer »

SmokingGunII wrote: Yes - Westhammer (are you from West Ham, London?).

no mate i'm not from london,but am a long suffering west ham fan :D
fbenario

Re: Aurora Colorado "Dark Knight Rises" Theater Shooting 20-

westhammer wrote:no mate i'm not from london,but am a long suffering west ham fan :D
You a Brit? Where specifically are you from? I LOVE Brit geography.
fbenario

The_Thinker wrote:yes I have been to the Richborough Roman Fort (also known as Reculver towers) on a school trip no less!
Ha, you're totally awesome!!!!!!!
fbenario

brianv wrote: I visited Hastings
So 'ave I, and also Pevensey Roman Fort, and of course Beachy Head > had to relive the ending of the film of Quadrophenia! My god what a perfect example of Moonie's entirely nonpareil and unique temper-tantrum drumming!

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzLky4U-xCg

Turn it way the hell up at exactly 0:58!
pliablematerial

Unread post by pliablematerial »

Hi all, just wanted to post a response to Simon's question ...