CHANGES IN THE FORUM STRUCTURE

How to register at Cluesforum / General administrative topics / and things that every member must read
nonhocapito

Re: CHANGES IN THE FORUM STRUCTURE

Unread post by nonhocapito »

fbenario wrote:In any case, I would be fine if you, and everyone else, started calling me "Fred", since that is my real first name, instead of fbenario. I call you Simon instead of simonshack, so you can definitely treat me the same!
I think it is fatal that one is being called by his nickname. Then what also happens is that the nickname get shorted. Hoi.polloi becomes "hoi", I become "nonho", simonshack becomes "simon" etc. I think it is in the powers of the admins to change your nickname to "fred benario" if you want. It would be otherwise confusing to a random reader that an answer to a post of "fbenario" is addressed to "fred"...
SmokingGunII

Unread post by SmokingGunII »

Well done, Nonho - the upgraded site looks great!

As they say, "A picture is worth A THOUSAND WORDS". :)

Keep up the excellent work one and all.
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

fbenario wrote:In any case, I would be fine if you, and everyone else, started calling me "Fred", since that is my real first name, instead of fbenario. I call you Simon instead of simonshack, so you can definitely treat me the same!
OK, well that suggestion apparently didn't appeal to anyone, so we'll leave things as they are. I can't stand being called Frederick, so I guess I should just be relieved at not hearing that.

Having said that, I adore this song, which I hope brings a smile to your ears!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwqh2IjrxfM
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

fbenario wrote:
OK, well that suggestion apparently didn't appeal to anyone, so we'll leave things as they are. I can't stand being called Frederick, so I guess I should just be relieved at not hearing that.

Having said that, I adore this song, which I hope brings a smile to your ears!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwqh2IjrxfM
It did! :) I've always loved that song, 'Frederick'! Thanks for bringing it back to my ears, Fred ! :) :) :)
Tufa

Unread post by Tufa »

There is a bit of problem in the Oslo thread. the right part of the pictures (big ones) don't display.
This can be fixed by scalig the pictures, in the browser, instead of cropping the picture.

Code: Select all

img { max-width: 950px;}
Could ADMIN check if this would be an improvement?
nonhocapito

Tufa wrote:There is a bit of problem in the Oslo thread. the right part of the pictures (big ones) don't display.
This can be fixed by scalig the pictures, in the browser, instead of cropping the picture.

Code: Select all

img { max-width: 950px;}
Could ADMIN check if this would be an improvement?
I was actually thinking to do something along the lines you suggest, in the css, but it really depends on the display resolution at the disposal of each member of the forum. For the many who have the pixel room a bigger image is not really a problem. For the few who have less, it could be still too much. In other words, what is the perfect max-width? Why 950px? But I'll do some testing, maybe with percentage instead than fixed values...

Users screens:

21% 1280 × 800
13% 1024 × 768
10% 1280 × 1024
10% 1366 × 768
8% 1680 × 1050
6% 1920 × 1080
6% 1920 × 1200
5% 1440 × 900
Extremophile

Unread post by Extremophile »

Question: has the private message function been turned off recently? If so, what is the reason if I may ask? Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it unfortunately.
Gracist
Banned

Unread post by Gracist »

Extremophile wrote:Question: has the private message function been turned off recently? If so, what is the reason if I may ask? Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it unfortunately.
Yes it has. I'm not sure the reasoning for why exactly. Here is where it is talked about.

http://cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1032

The poll shows that it was not the most popular decision and personally I'd rather private message on here than receive emails.
Extremophile

Unread post by Extremophile »

Gracist wrote:
Extremophile wrote:Question: has the private message function been turned off recently? If so, what is the reason if I may ask? Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it unfortunately.
Yes it has. I'm not sure the reasoning for why exactly. Here is where it is talked about.

http://cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1032

The poll shows that it was not the most popular decision and personally I'd rather private message on here than receive emails.
Thank you, Gracist :) and yes, I prefer private messages too over direct e-mail.
fred
Banned

Unread post by fred »

Hi Simon, Hoi, & Nonho:

I like the new forum structure very much.

Maybe this isn't the right place to mention this, but I don't think the proper solution to the "hot topic" of Oslo being mobbed by trolls is to lock the popular topic. Perhaps the new Norwegian (trolls) could be allowed to post in some kind of restricted area since they don't seem to be availing themselves of the required introductions.

I think the Oslo thread was productive and interesting up until the last 5 pages or so (pages 100 to 105).

Just a thought. It seems to me that shuttering the hottest thread on the board is letting the trolls win. I hope it's just temporary.

Fred
Maat

Unread post by Maat »

I agree with fred!

I'm very confused, actually, and still can't figure out why trolls & shills (perfectly obvious from their first posts) were allowed and then encouraged to crap all over the Oslo thread. :(

One minute it's supposed to be 'introduce or be instantly banned', the next they're being indulged repeatedly — even after Simon's request not to feed them :huh: — to now be locked? :o So the only message that sends is they achieved their purpose after all :blink:

I can understand using their own bogus claims etc. as a means to further demonstrate and prove our findings, but not to actually play their game. No one can control trolls, it's like herding cats: can't be done. :P The only solution is to auto-block newbs from hot topics first until they've passed certain qualifiers.

Sorry if I missed something somewhere, but I don't understand why there isn't some way on this forum to restrict newbies to specific topics/areas until they've made a required number of 'qualifying' posts. I've seen that done effectively on other forums, they're simply automatically blocked from full member areas until at least 5-10 appropriate comments on general access threads are posted. Prevention is always better than cure; saves member aggravation as well as unnecessary work for admin :)

Isn't that do-able here?

And can we please have those last pages of the Oslo thread cleared & re-opened soon?
nonhocapito

I think Simon wants to see if there is a way to regulate the traffic over there more closely. Unfortunately I think we are all too busy to monitor the situation constantly (I know I am right now).

So the solution has to be in the permission settings... here are the changes I have now implemented:

1) new users are stuck in the "Newbie" group and will have to submit 10 posts before they are upgraded to the "registered users" group (this setting was not real before, since it affected only the visible "rank" of a user, but not its permission group).

2) on certain forums, newbies can now be limited from posting. They are hereby forced to post 10 times in other areas before they are allowed in there.

Unfortunately, this particular limitation cannot be applied to single threads, which would be best, but only to whole forums.
Wanting to limit access to the Oslo thread, for example, we have to limit the whole "London, Madrid etc" forum.
(note: this has now been implemented).

Of course by default we can and should theoretically allow the "newly registered users" or "Newbies" to post in any forum. However we can "switch off" the participation of newbies to certain forums as soon as an emergency situation kicks in. This should take care of our problems as long as we remember to "reopen" the forum in question later on.

How this sounds?
Maat

Unread post by Maat »

Excellent! That sounds perfect to me, nonho :D
Thank you! Image
nonhocapito

For reasons too long to be explained, there are registered users that are publicly ranked as "newbies" but belong to the "registered user" group. So they are not subjected to the 10 post limitation even if they never posted on the forum. This is how we had set things before... sorry... :rolleyes:

So once we re-open the Oslo thread don't be too disappointed if there still are trolls awaiting. :P

Unfortunately all operations regarding members on our forum platform are done one by one and with many "clicks" and are pretty tedious.

However, I have already deleted a bunch of inactive new registrations (users who registered but did not respond to the confirmation email), that might have been trolls waiting in line. I also switched to the newbies group a number of members with 0 posts that were in the "regular users group". I focused on the ones registered after 22/7, but the lists should be investigated more. I just don't have the time to do it right now.

Regardless, I am confident this will work to make the Oslo thread more usable.
Makkonen

Unread post by Makkonen »

Yes, brilliant work - thanks, nonho & co. ! :)