CHANGES IN THE FORUM STRUCTURE

How to register at Cluesforum / General administrative topics / and things that every member must read
HonestlyNow

Re: CHANGES IN THE FORUM STRUCTURE

Unread post by HonestlyNow »

Observer wrote:A 3rd workaround is to "middle-click" it (using the mouse's wheel.)
Yes, that works. Thanks, Observer.
Observer
Banned

Unread post by Observer »

fbenario wrote:I like the forum's current structure, and desire no changes at all. Especially no voting on posts.

It would be nice to figure out a way to force new members to follow our basic posting requirements.
To solve the spelling-mistake problem, Hoi COULD implement some code in which one physically can't submit a post until it is free of red-underlined-spelling-mistakes.

And, since Microsoft Word and Open Office both seem to have grammar-checking ability, this means grammar checking software exists, so...

To solve the grammar-mistake problem, Hoi COULD implement some code in which one physically can't submit a post until it is free of green-underlined-grammar-mistakes.

Imagine: one writes a post and hits submit, boom: a message comes saying "All red-underlined and green-underlined mistakes must be fixed, before submission is possible. Please fix then press submit again."

That's just a possible implementable solution to the spelling+grammar problems. But I don't know, perhaps one was referring more to the problem of newbies (like me :lol:) posting overly-lengthy posts lacking contribution in the vital area of: Forged Image Evidence+Analysis. :)
HonestlyNow

Unread post by HonestlyNow »

Observer wrote:
fbenario wrote:It would be nice to figure out a way to force new members to follow our basic posting requirements.
To solve the spelling-mistake problem, Hoi COULD implement some code in which one physically can't submit a post until it is free of red-underlined-spelling-mistakes.
That assumes that all the words one could use are in whatever spelling dictionary is being used for the spellchecker. That also doesn't allow for names. I've used the word allopathic, which I've found not only here, but in other spellcheckers to not be in their dictionary.
Observer
Banned

Unread post by Observer »

HonestlyNow wrote:That assumes that all the words one could use are in whatever spelling dictionary is being used for the spellchecker. That also doesn't allow for names. I've used the word allopathic, which I've found not only here, but in other spellcheckers to not be in their dictionary.
Well, a solution to that concern would be to allow the user who is trying to make a post to simply right-click the red-underlined-word and choose "add to dictionary", like spellchecking software allows one to do. :)
MrSinclair

Unread post by MrSinclair »

Observer wrote:
HonestlyNow wrote:That assumes that all the words one could use are in whatever spelling dictionary is being used for the spellchecker. That also doesn't allow for names. I've used the word allopathic, which I've found not only here, but in other spellcheckers to not be in their dictionary.
Well, a solution to that concern would be to allow the user who is trying to make a post to simply right-click the red-underlined-word and choose "add to dictionary", like spellchecking software allows one to do. :)
This too can be problematic. The more words entered into the spell checker the more chance that someone will use the wrong word spelled correctly.

I too am in favor of keeping the current structure.