Email or PM to contact other forum members

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest

What would you rather use to contact and be contacted by other forum members?

You may select 1 option

View results

nonhocapito

Email or PM to contact other forum members

Unread post by nonhocapito »

Personally I am kind of adverse to personal messages. I remember them going a bit awry in the invisionfree days.
I'd rather have the whole activity of the forum out in the open.

Maybe we could activate the email links next to the user names (now only visible to admins in the form of a little envelope icon). I think that wouldn't be bad. Simon and Hoi, what do you think?
hoi.polloi

Re: You can now embed youtube videos in the forum pages

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

That seems alright. It also gives users an opportunity to test the legitimacy of each other's e-mails.
nonhocapito

I went to check the permissions for registered users but PMs and emails seem to be already active for everyone... maybe I am missing something...
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

nonhocapito wrote:I went to check the permissions for registered users but PMs and emails seem to be already active for everyone... maybe I am missing something...
Administrators group permission maybe?
hoi.polloi

nonhocapito wrote:I went to check the permissions for registered users but PMs and emails seem to be already active for everyone... maybe I am missing something...
You can define permissions as active, but if that is generally turned off in the heirarchy the option won't even come up.

... Edit: now that I've actually searched through the options, it appears the "e-mail others" option is active and I've turned off the PM option. However, e-mailing others still seems to be relegated as an option of administrators only when I actually test the functionality of a user group like Registered Users. Strange? Are we just clumsy with this system?

... Edit 2: apparently, this is a known issue. What we are looking for is something called "Hide email addresses" in the ADM. If we set this to "no" then the email addresses should appear based on the permissions we set to allow emails for both groups: Newly Registered Users and Registered Users. - http://forums.techguy.org/web-design-de ... esses.html
Last edited by hoi.polloi on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: wait a second ... that's not right ...
hoi.polloi

Okay, I have now activated emails for Registered Users and Newly Registered Users.

However, if a user chooses to disable their email, they will not be able to receive emails. I am not sure if we can force all users to make a working email available but I don't see why we want to do that anyway.

So, yes - they will still be unable to email some users but users with their emails activated will have their emails searchable.

If people prefer, we can activate the board-based email so that their email address isn't searchable by junkmail bots.
nonhocapito

hoi.polloi wrote:Okay, I have now activated emails for Registered Users and Newly Registered Users.

However, if a user chooses to disable their email, they will not be able to receive emails. I am not sure if we can force all users to make a working email available but I don't see why we want to do that anyway.

So, yes - they will still be unable to email some users but users with their emails activated will have their emails searchable.

If people prefer, we can activate the board-based email so that their email address isn't searchable by junkmail bots.
Hoi thanks for being so efficient. I don't have much computer time these days so I couldn't find my way around all the permissions. I think having a contact email for every user is a very good thing, unless for privacy reason some of our users think otherwise [EDIT: I opened a separate discussion on this to attract everyone's opinion].

As to the bots problem, there are ways for email addresses to be written in the page with javascript that make them not readable to bots. I tried to check, but I couldn't confirm this technique is being used by the forum platform to print the email addresses in the html (as it would be proper to do). Maybe so, in which case we have nothing to worry about on that front.
hoi.polloi

Re: Email or PM to contact other forum members

If you'd like to force everyone to reveal their e-mail address they used to register, we will have to modify the code so that their registration option does not allow the option "do not allow admins to contact me" sort of thing. I don't think there is an option in ADM that makes it easy, but I will poke around some time soon. Afraid I am a bit busy lately.
nonhocapito

hoi.polloi wrote:If you'd like to force everyone to reveal their e-mail address they used to register, we will have to modify the code...
Oh no, Hoi I wouldn't like to force everyone! In fact, I am worried that publicizing the email address could be a problem for some.

A member might have registered with an address not knowing in advance it could end up being printed on the forum pages. Suppose the email address contains name and surname, or the domain contains the person's workplace, while originally the member was under the assumption only his nickname would appear.

For this, I'd leave to the member to make it public or not. I think we have to respect these privacy issues.

In any case, once again, I appeal to the members of this forum to join in this discussion and state their opinion on the issue. Thanks!
SmokingGunII

Unread post by SmokingGunII »

As a long standing member here and at 9/11 Movement, I certainly wouldn't want my email address published. Simon has it and I have no problem with the admins having it privately. I would prefer other members to make contact via PM or not at all.

Thanks.
antipodean

Unread post by antipodean »

SmokingGunII wrote:As a long standing member here and at 9/11 Movement, I certainly wouldn't want my email address published. Simon has it and I have no problem with the admins having it privately. I would prefer other members to make contact via PM or not at all.

Thanks.
I agree. The PM function on Reality Shack is still functioning.
hoi.polloi

Since people still apparently would like PM function, I propose we allow both PM and email.

You can opt out of being contacted via email through your personal setup screen, or when you first register I think.

What do you say nonhocapito. Turn on PMs?
nonhocapito

OK, I enabled Personal Messages (at least I think so. Can anyone verify?)
anon1911
Banned

Unread post by anon1911 »

You are not authorised to send private messages.
:wacko:
Postal44

Unread post by Postal44 »

Code: Select all

We are sorry, but you are not authorized to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature.
That's what I get when I checked to see if I could send a PM.