Satellites : general discussion and musings

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
mnew9

Re: Satellites : general discussion and musings

Unread post by mnew9 »

This is also supposed to be a photo of the GOCE satellite during it's mission. It doesn't compare too well with the photo of the same reputed satellite in Simon's posting. :unsure:

"The ESA has now relayed US Strategic Command space tracking data which shows that any surviving bits of GOCE will have plunged into the South Atlantic not far from the Falkland Islands." :D
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/10 ... _location/
lux

Unread post by lux »

NASA says they are launching 29 satellites at once using "a single Minotaur I rocket scheduled to lift off from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia at 7:30 p.m." EST today.

All but one of these are "tiny satellites called CubeSats ... small cubes, about 4 inches on each side."

And, how much fuel do these little CubeSats carry to use for orbit correction? I can't find any mention of that so I guess NASA has solved the problems of gravitational variations during orbit. Amazing.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

CubeSats? And what purpose do these serve that the broad ionosphere wouldn't do better? Tracking empty points in space? Organizing empty space into a grid of cubes? Spicing the thermosphere? I don't get it.
lux

Unread post by lux »

One of the "Cubesats" was made by high school kids. Such a cruel hoax! :angry:
Starbucked

Unread post by Starbucked »

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=radXbbDbkyM

At about 3:50 the rocket is reported at 290 miles down range at an altitude of 150 miles at a speed of 12400 MPH.... yet from 4:30 to around the 6 minute mark we see a nearly steady flickering white dot (that would be a rocket ;) ) that maintains a uniform size and position on the screen.
In 90 seconds that 12400 MPH rocket should be 310 miles farther away from the camera allegedly filming it. Now that is some camera work! (or some CGI)
fast67vellen2o

Unread post by fast67vellen2o »

lux wrote:NASA says they are launching 29 satellites at once using "a single Minotaur I rocket scheduled to lift off from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia at 7:30 p.m." EST today.

All but one of these are "tiny satellites called CubeSats ... small cubes, about 4 inches on each side."

And, how much fuel do these little CubeSats carry to use for orbit correction? I can't find any mention of that so I guess NASA has solved the problems of gravitational variations during orbit. Amazing.

I am from NJ and I read online that we were supposed to be able to see it since VA is so close. Me and the fiance' went out and watched "something" fly up and get dimmer and dimmer.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

fast67vellen2o wrote: I am from NJ and I read online that we were supposed to be able to see it since VA is so close. Me and the fiance' went out and watched "something" fly up and get dimmer and dimmer.
Next time, try to catch it on film - with your pc in the foreground, in the same manner as this purported amateur video:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-f3wXAnjgE

You've gotta wonder why the countdown we hear is 10 seconds out of sync with the TV images on the pc screen. :mellow:
lux

Unread post by lux »

^ Very odd. There are 3 different time lines: The countdown voice, the PC image and the rising dot in the distance. The dot first appears when the voice says, “... minus twenty.” :blink:

In the video above posted by Starbucked: notice the pronounced camera shake at “ignition.” Can't NASA mount a camera securely to record a rocket launch? Or, was this just to make it look “more realistic”? :lol:
Starbucked

Unread post by Starbucked »

^^
Very cool video. Exactly what one should expect from a launch: a "prop" missile loosely synched to a CGI video.

Trained citizen monkey, John Mather, had issues with this assertion, as per his youtube comment:
FOr the benefits of the sociopaths on cluesforum who have ho tlinked your vid,(claiming it to be fake)please explain the delay between tv picture and live.
D'Uh, John, time to grab a clue. :wacko:
lux

Unread post by lux »

It occurred to me today that I've never seen footage of a rocket actually deploying a satellite at the end of its flight. I've seen lots of footage from cameras allegedly attached to rockets as they take off and rise but I've never seen anything beyond that. I've seen a few animations but no real footage taken as it happens. I want to see how the satellites are actually launched. I mean, does a compartment open up and a big mechanical shoe kick the satellite into space? Do they use an explosive charge to blow them out? I mean, how does the satellite go from being inside the rocket to starting its orbit? It would seem to be the most interesting part of a satellite launch too, especially when a rocket supposedly launches 29 satellites into orbits at once. I'd really like to see how they manage launching 29 precise orbits and at the same time keep them from crashing into one another, etc.

Are they launched all in a long line like ducklings? Side by side? In a big V formation? :huh:

I'd really like to see this! C'mon NASA, put a camera on the nose cone so we can watch the best part of the launch!
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

lux wrote:It occurred to me today that I've never seen footage of a rocket actually deploying a satellite at the end of its flight.

I'd really like to see this! C'mon NASA, put a camera on the nose cone so we can watch the best part of the launch!
Exactly my thoughts, dear Lux.

Can any NASA fans please try and ask NASA (or Phil Plait and such online NASA experts) why they don't have an on-board camera on these rockets putting satellites into space? It should make for GREAT television material ! Why no images of the satellite releases?

I am asking NASA fans to submit these questions, because all my past attempts to submit questions to NASA and ESA have been met with total ...uh... indifference. That is to say, they simply DO NOT REPLY ! I wonder why? :P
lux

Unread post by lux »

I've never gotten any kind of answer from NASA either. I've asked several polite questions with no hint of skepticism via their "Ask NASA" site and never gotten any reply at all.
hoi.polloi

The rockets never make it to a height that would be capable of launching a satellite. This is why there is only simulated footage. I think on NASA television they have shown satellite imagery, but I think it's a special effects joke used to reinforce the "ocean of satellites" myth. Based on the past propaganda from studios with apparently no name, how are we to refer to these special effects houses? Should we say, "Laurel Canyon", "Disney", "NASA", "Pixar", "Rockwell Collins", "Oracle", "IBM Federal"? None of these names quite do the secretive nature of and utter official silence about the propaganda justice. In any case, we know it's propaganda and lies.

As to why, I think we can guess.

They just use the ionosphere to bounce signals, that's all. No flying chunks of metal at an impossible height. No soaring, Sesame Street-style rockets with giant flames bulging around space. No flying penguin "shuttles" going deep into the thermosphere. No international space station with diapered astronauts floating around, wasting time, making YouTube videos about doing nothing and how much of a waste of money it is, making musicals on ukelele. It's simply improbable given the budget required and given today's technology, so they fake it. They're actors in a never-ending movie to promote a dramatic picture of modern life that television can control our perspective on. Well, most of us, anyway.
Rocketdyne, division of USA government aerospace wrote:If you can't make it, fake it.
lux

Unread post by lux »

I think in many cases there were no rockets launched at all or they were just video composites of model rockets shot in slo-mo.
hoi.polloi

The footage of launches definitely is all kinda fishy, isn't it? Maybe that finally deserves its own topic! Just the launches and landings themselves are odd enough.