St Petersberg Veterans' Photocall

Anything on the news and elsewhere in the media with evidence of digital manipulation, bogus story-lines and propaganda
icarusinbound

St Petersberg Veterans' Photocall

Unread post by icarusinbound »

This just doesn't look real at all, to me. Printed in UK press over the weekend, or I would have been unaware.

Where to begin:
> 2-D cutout 'people' at the front
> Perspective issues (inconsistent/multiple vanishing-points), also general scale problems
> Lack of faces peering out, further back
> Lack of variation in angles of placards relative to the viewing point
> Parallel/propitious 'A' tilt (look to the right of the validatory/obligatory 'camera in the shot')
> Red colour concordance (but this may be a processing artifact), the Red Flags acting as a meandering gaze-guide.

Local residents carry portraits of their ancestors, participants in World War Two as they celebrate Victory Day in St.Petersburg, Russia, Friday, May 9, 2014. About 30,000 people walked in central streets in a march named 'Immortal regiment' while carrying portraits their relatives who fought in World War Two. Victory Day, marking the defeat of Nazi Germany, is Russia's most important secular holiday , celebrated on May 9. DMITRY LOVETSKY — AP Photo
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/05/0 ... 9/296/358/

ELA is inconclusive, as is often the case
http://fotoforensics.com/analysis.php?i ... 2&show=ela

A similar, but not-so-odd picture can be found on the RT Facebook pages:

Opinions?
hoi.polloi

Re: St Petersberg Veterans' Photocall

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

This could be KGB nonsense. Even if one wanted to assume the photo is real, which one could do if one is a 4-year old, one must contend with the idea that the style of the placards was universally coordinated for thousands of people. Staged in every meaning of the word. But very typical of Russian-US propaganda.