New hosting server for cluesforum.info

How to register at Cluesforum / General administrative topics / and things that every member must read
nonhocapito

New hosting server for cluesforum.info

Unread post by nonhocapito »

As of today (apparently, as the transfer is still not entirely completed, there might still be a few bumps ahead in the next days) we are with a new hosting service.

Cluesforum.info is now hosted by a very common, everyday american hosting service provider (namely, bluehost.com).

There is absolutely nothing special about this new hosting service.

We are not going to be any safer or more "hidden" over here, on the contrary, and there will be no illusion of salvation from censorship or the meddling of law enforcement by the corporate american empire or the globalists or the spectre (as if there ever was). We are now smacked right in the middle of it.

But here, at least, we will not have to face the awful customer care of PRQ, nor the vicinity of their embarrassing patrons (i.e. wikleaks).

More importantly, we hope not to have to face their constant, never explained, downtimes.

We can only hope this move was for the better. Only time will tell.

Any feedback on anything you should notice that feels different about the forum, in good or bad, you are welcome to post it in here.

Happy browsing. B)

p.s. If you are having troubles logging in following the change of server, feel free to contact yours truly @gmail.com.
simonshack
Administrator

Re: New hosting server for cluesforum.info

Unread post by simonshack »

...and all the merit for handling so smoothly this delicate transition goes to nonhocapito and hoi! Magic done, guys! :) :) :)
nonhocapito

There is an important aspect to this server: it has no limits of disk space or bandwidth. This makes it theoretically possible to host pictures and other multimedia materials directly on the cluesforum, saving it all rather than depending on external services for it.

This could be pretty good, and provided there is time and energy to make it happen, it would be pretty awesome to implement. :)
Equinox
Banned

Unread post by Equinox »

simonshack wrote:*

...and all the merit for handling so smoothly this delicate transition goes to nonhocapito and hoi! Magic done, guys! :) :) :)
Thanks, guys.... I appreciate your efforts. I have a lot more work in regards to archiving coming on over the next couple of months and it's refreshing to know where we stand with the servers and what not. :)
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Wow, I hardly did anything, just purchased cluesforum2.info for the test area for the site to be cloned. Thanks to nonhocapito mostly! But yes I did help select Bluehost. I am skeptical of their service but they certainly seem thorough. They made me confirm my identity to make the purchase.

By the way, how are we presently handling that domain name? I have noticed that cluesforum2.info seems to display the same thing as cluesforum.info, so I am guessing we have a simple re-direct?
Farcevalue

Unread post by Farcevalue »

Kudos for the Bluehost selection. I have some sites hosted there; they came highly recommended by the web developer that did some work for me once upon a time. I have had a great experience with them so far, I hope the SC experience proves as trouble free as mine has been.
nonhocapito

hoi.polloi wrote:By the way, how are we presently handling that domain name? I have noticed that cluesforum2.info seems to display the same thing as cluesforum.info, so I am guessing we have a simple re-direct?
Yes at the moment cluesforum.info is a "parked domain" on our new bluehost account. Once the transfer is complete we can make it "primary" and make the other one the "parked" one, but the result is the same so it's not even necessary.

The transfer isn't complete yet because at this stage we still depend on PRQ's "nameservers" to resolve the domain name into the correct IP number (a bluehost machine). I am told that it will take a week or two for this to be switched over to bluehost.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

We have now shifted from BlueHost to another service known as Nearly Free Speech. I thought I should update this topic to keep it relevant, and also in case we have to move again.

B)