THE DERAILING ROOM

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest

Re: NOT GETTING THE WORD OUT!

Postby hoi.polloi on September 4th, 2014, 5:19 pm

poax a hoax wrote:Before i finalise my matrix of interconnected array of media bullshit, has anyone else tried to connect the dots - or at least identified any 'good-guys' >

Fuck this level of incoherency. You are derailing topics now. You need to slow down, read our forum requirements, read the actual forum you are on and figure out what you can do here besides drop text slobber on everything.

Start here: viewforum.php?f=32

Please do not post again until you have processed where you are. Otherwise, start a blog and get out of here.
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Re: Reviewing Hollywood snakery

Postby pov603 on September 10th, 2014, 9:11 am

One thing that has become noticeable over the last few years [and had been intermittently used in the '80s/'90s certainly] is the use of 'Real' newscasters in films where impending doom awaits, or a major 'event' has happened.
The weird thing when watching the film/TV show is the impact this has on the viewer [me, in this instance] with regard to adding to the 'suspension of disbelief' hence buying into the fantasy that the film/TV is trying to portray.
In other words it tends to make the 'story' more believable/enjoyable.
After seeing this happen time and time again, it made me realize [belatedly I will admit] how complicit the newscasters are in that they will only read what is put in front of them.
In Anchorman, this has been demonstrated with the hilarious use of the autocue to try and derail Ron Burgundy's character.
In the same way that the newscasters will repeat [parrot-fashion] endless loops of news broadcast irrespective of whether they believe in, or actually know of, the event they are commenting on shows how this can easily be applied to any 'actor' involved in the '11th Sep 2001' events, especially when the reward [or threat] of money/retainers/future work/life/liberty/limb are used.
I'm not trying to exonerate any of the newscasters but one can see how people advertently become complicit.

Edited 'once'.
Edited 'twice' if I see it...
Last edited by pov603 on September 11th, 2014, 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
pov603

Postby brianv on September 10th, 2014, 1:41 pm

pov603 wrote:One thing that has become noticeable over the last few years [and had been intermittently used in the '80s/'90s certainly] is the use of 'Real' newscasters in films where impending doom awaits, or a major 'event' has happened.
The weird thing when watching the film/TV show is the impact this has on the viewer [me, in this instance] with regard to adding to the 'suspension of disbelief' hence buying into the fantasy that the film/TV is trying to portray.
In other words it tends to make the 'story' more believable/enjoyable.
After seeing this happen time and time again, it made me realize [belatedly I will admit] how complicit the newscasters are in that they will only read what is put in front of them.
In Anchorman, this has been demonstrated with the hilarious use of the autocue to try and derail Ron Burgundy's character.
In the same way that the newscasters will repeat [parrot-fashion] endless loops of news broadcast irrespective of whether they believe in, or actually know of, the event they are commenting on shows how this can easily be applied to any 'actor' involved in the '11th Sep 2001' events, especially when the reward [or threat] of money/retainers/future work/life/liberty/limb are used.
I'm not trying to exonerate any of the newscasters but once can see how people advertently become complicit.

Why the wacky indentation?
brianv

Postby simonshack on September 10th, 2014, 4:06 pm

brianv wrote:

Oh Brian - aren't you being a tad too picky here ? :mellow:
simonshack
Administrator

Postby hoi.polloi on September 10th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Okay, I'll be picky too, then.

I'm not trying to exonerate any of the newscasters but once can see how people advertently become complicit.

You may have meant to write "one can see" how people "inadvertently" become complicit. Please, people, check your grammar and spelling so our site doesn't read like slop!
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby brianv on September 10th, 2014, 5:35 pm

simonshack wrote:
brianv wrote:

Oh Brian - aren't you being a tad too picky here ? :mellow:

Ok, I know my posts aren't exactly works of literary genius but I do try to be clear. And, what with all the stránge goings on here recently, I did wonder.
A simple reply like - "I posted from my phone", might have satisfied my curiosity. So now I ask again, why the wacky indentation? Surely the average reader would be put off by the layout of your post, I certainly was, I didn't even read it.
brianv

Postby lux on September 10th, 2014, 6:39 pm

Remedium morbo gravius ​​sit

Perhaps if we had a “grammar, spelling and punctuation” thread we could move discussions of this sort there and thus preserve the topics of our main threads? Then people who are interested in such things could read all about them and those who are not interested could skip them? Just a suggestion.
lux

Postby hoi.polloi on September 10th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Fine, then, perhaps we can remove offending posts to that section as well? It's a careful balance. It doesn't take that much time to click 'next page' or 'previous page' of a thread. It does take time to do grammar/spell check on a post, but it's worth it.

But for the sake of an example for lux, and for keeping that thread clear of all this, I'm moving it all to the derailing room. Here we are.
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby lux on September 10th, 2014, 9:12 pm

hoi.polloi wrote:
But for the sake of an example for lux, and for keeping that thread clear of all this, I'm moving it all to the derailing room. Here we are.

Thank you. That works for me. :)

BTW, that grapheme you called a "little hat" in another thread is called a caret or circumflex. :P
lux

Re: THE DERAILING ROOM

Postby hoi.polloi on September 11th, 2014, 12:53 am

I didn't know the term 'circumflex' but I am familiar with the term 'carat'. I just wanted to know his personal explanation and see where his knowledge was at. He is apparently taking the position of ignorance. I find that unsettling.
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby iCONOCLAST on September 11th, 2014, 1:14 am

A Ŝ S
iCONOCLAST

Postby hoi.polloi on September 11th, 2014, 1:19 am

iCONOCLAST wrote:A Ŝ S

That is an excellent example of a very non-accidental carat.

So what particular keyboard layout does one have to use to allow an easily accessible, easily mistakenly typed carat on a character when one is simply going for the "y"? Is it a standard layout? Is it a "Spanish" layout? This should be easy to find.

I guess that it is not very conventional.
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby lux on September 11th, 2014, 1:27 am

The correct term for the ^ symbol is caret.

The term "carat" refers to something else entirely.

hoi.polloi wrote:So what particular keyboard layout does one have to use to allow an easily accessible, easily mistakenly typed carat on a character when one is simply going for the "y"? Is it a standard layout? Is it a "Spanish" layout? This should be easy to find.

Welsh, I think.

See:
http://www.200words-a-day.com/typing-welsh-characters.html
lux

Postby fbenario on September 11th, 2014, 1:39 am

lux wrote:Remedium morbo gravius ​​sit

Perhaps if we had a “grammar, spelling and punctuation” thread we could move discussions of this sort there and thus preserve the topics of our main threads? Then people who are interested in such things could read all about them and those who are not interested could skip them? Just a suggestion.

No!!!!!!!!!!

The people who wouldn't be interested in reading comments on writing clear, understandable posts are likely the ones most in need of instruction and reminding to edit their work!
fbenario

Postby brianv on September 11th, 2014, 1:44 am

hoi.polloi wrote:
iCONOCLAST wrote:A Ŝ S

That is an excellent example of a very non-accidental carat.

So what particular keyboard layout does one have to use to allow an easily accessible, easily mistakenly typed carat on a character when one is simply going for the "y"? Is it a standard layout? Is it a "Spanish" layout? This should be easy to find.

I guess that it is not very conventional.

o☺☻╝Ü §

Extended ASCII Set Alt + Shift + Numeric Keypad to the right of keyboard then let go. Alt + Shift + 237 = Ý. Latin Keyboard

http://www.ascii-code.com/

Oh hang on, wasn't it was a carrot... Alt + Shift + ?
brianv

PreviousNext

Return to THE LIVING ROOM