THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
Libero

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by Libero »

Another alleged school shooting and "network news oopsy daisy" regarding a scheduled drill...

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72FDUGKlfJg
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Where to post?

I began this afternoon reading about a Guitar Fuzz Box from 1965, I trawled through a couple of techy sites looking at the schema for said device, and later arrived at this blog https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/ You might indeed wonder where this is going! Mick Ronson, of the Spiders from Mars was an early proponent? of the Box. After reading about Mick, I decided to hit the front page of the blog, the link above. I pulled the page down and hit upon a post entitled "America", September 11 2014.

I'll disregard the fluff (you can read it yourselves), and cut to the chase.
I was working in 195 Broadway, a block east from the Trade Center (it was an older, far more distinguished building; it likely considered the Towers parvenus). I went to the window to see if a truck had overturned on the Brooklyn Bridge, my first guess as to what had happened, but there was nothing but traffic.
I visited the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/195_Broadway

It began
The same building, using the "195 Broadway" address, was the New York end of the first intercity Picturephone call in 1927 and of the first transatlantic telephone call, made to London, England, also in 1927
Do what? Picturephone 1927? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videophone ... hone:_1964 Please read through!
Barely two years after the telephone was first patented in the United States in 1876 by Dr. Alexander Graham Bell, an early concept of a combined videophone and wide-screen television called a telephonoscope was conceptualized in the popular periodicals of the day.
By 1930, AT&T's 'two-way television-telephone' system was in full-scale experimental use.
In early 1936 the world's first public video telephone service, Germany's Gegensehn-Fernsprechanlagen (visual telephone system), was developed by Dr. Georg Schubert, who headed the Sudetengau verlagerten Fernseh-GmbH technical combine for television broadcasting technology.[34] It was opened by the German Reichspost (post office) between Berlin and Leipzig, utilizing broadband coaxial cable to cover the distance of approximately 160 km (100 miles). Schubert's system, was based on Gunter Krawinkel's earlier research of the late-1920s that he displayed at the 1929 Internationale Funkausstellung Berlin (Berlin International Radio Exposition).[35] Schubet's higher performance system employed mechanical television scanning and 20 cm (8 inch) square displays with a resolution of 180 lines (initially 150 lines),transmitting some 40,000 pixels per frame at 25 frames per second.
In the initial service trial, broadband coaxial cable lines initially linked Berlin to Leipzig. After a period of experimentation the system entered public use and was soon extended another 160 km (100 miles) from Berlin to Hamburg, and then in July 1938 from Leipzig to Nuremberg and Munich. The system eventually operated with more than 1,000 km (620 miles) of coaxial cable transmission lines. The videophones were integrated within large public videophone booths, with two booths provided per city. Calls between Berlin and Leipzig cost RM3½, approximately one sixth of a British pound sterling, or about one-fifteenth of the average weekly wage. The video telephone equipment used in Berlin was designed and built by the German Post Office Laboratory. Videophone equipment used in other German cities were developed by Fernseh A.G., partly owned by Baird Television Ltd. of the U.K.
Swedish Prime Minister Tage Erlander using an Ericsson videophone to speak with Lennart Hyland, a popular TV show host (1969)
The image of a futuristic AT&T videophone being casually used in the science fiction film 2001: A Space Odyssey, became iconic of both the movie and, arguably, the public's general view of the future. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWwo6JpMceg
I'll leave that there, you can read the rest yourselves and let the implications, technical and otherwise, sink in!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videophone ... hone:_1964

Back to the blog.
“How big was the plane?” a woman behind me asked. “It was a real plane?”
In 1996, I’d worked in 2 World Trade, on the 18th floor. The towers were often empty-feeling buildings, as if they’d been built for some municipal folly (say, if NYC had hosted in the Olympics in 1968) and had been left to fend for themselves. The guards wore maroon jackets. There was so little light. Our office rationed it out to the bosses and editors, each of whom had an office with a tiny window view, leaving the rest of us clustered in semi-darkness. It could feel like working in a mineshaft.

On the ground floor there were a set of halls and small lobbies that linked the two towers with the lesser buildings of the Trade Center complex. At Christmas, they set up a shabby-looking electric train set. There were statues—Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck as stockbrokers, their feet up on their desks—in one shop window (I recall seeing Bugs covered in grey dust in a newscast post 9/11).
Tourists came to the Towers but they just took the elevator up to the observation decks, snapped photos and left. No one who didn’t work there hung around the neighborhood, which was full of winding, scaffold-filled streets whose main businesses were small-time importers, rug dealers and people who seemed to cadge a living out of repairing toasters and radios.
So when the men playing “God Bless America” on boomboxes began selling souvenir atrocity postcards, and the busloads of people wearing American flag T-shirts began to show up to gawk at the ruins,

No doubt at this point Phil Jayhan arrived to buy his thalidomide aircraft with squiggly line towers "photograph". ;)

You can read the rest if you wish! https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/america/

A deet'n'deet'n'dat's all Folks! :rolleyes:
Critical Mass

Unread post by Critical Mass »

Critical Mass wrote:(iii) Your suggestion that there is nowadays a quantitative difference interests me & perhaps it would be useful to pick a random month (or year) from the past & compare it with today. I might pick that up as a future research topic... perhaps some other Cluesforum contributor would like to do that too?
First month from the past that I've randomly picked is September 1998...

Here's a selection of 'News' stories...

Elephants 'ditch tusks' to survive
Research at the Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda, showed that 15% of female elephants and 9% of males in the park were born without tusks.
Death to the New World Order
The conspiracy theory about the New World Order is not new, but it is the one that everyone is talking about as we draw closer to the year 2000.
The problems of dealing with Iraq
And, as time goes by, it's clearly proving more and more difficult to justify both the sanctions and - perhaps more significantly - the threat of military action against Iraq.
New light on human torch mystery
The scientists believe they demonstrated how a case of spontaneous human combustion can occur through normal processes on a person who has been knocked unconscious.
The evolving British constitution
These developments will further restrict the power of government, making it harder for critics to claim that the UK has an over-mighty, over-centralised executive at the heart of its constitution.
'Shoot to kill' in Lesotho
South African President Nelson Mandela on Wednesday publicly endorsed the military intervention in Lesotho, saying it had been essential to end "chaos and anarchy".
Humans came 'close to extinction'
During those six years, there was substantial lowering of global temperatures, drought and famine. No more than 15,000 people survived.
Starbucks storms into UK
"Every store opening brings us closer towards our goal of building an enduring global brand," he said.
Sex and the White House
And you have powerful men who on a day-to-day basis are making important decisions who also start exercising the power in other areas of their lives - in sexual relationships.
Autistic woman who speaks through poetry
The woman, called Kate, is in her 40s and suffers from one of the most severe forms of autism, Asperger's Syndrome.
Yeltsin nominates Primakov
Our correspondent says that Mr Primakov has never shown any presidential ambitions, which will make it easier for him to take the tough and unpopular decisions which are likely to be part of his role as prime minister.
Lesotho fighting intensifies
South African troops trying to quell an uprising in Lesotho have encountered stiff opposition from rebel forces, and fighting has continued throughout the day in the capital, Maseru.
Fossil evidence of worms over one billion years ago

Russian bank assets 'seized'
The US investment bank, Lehman Brothers, hopes to recover about $90m from the move.
Teachers paid in vodka
Other workers have been offered payment in bicycles, cabbages, and bras.
Spacecrafts pulled by mystery force
It seems that space probes travelling through the solar system are not behaving according to the known law of gravity, puzzling scientists.
A people suffering under sanctions

Iraqi women calling for an end to sanctions
UN official blasts Iraq sanctions

Women say their children are the real victims
Weapons inspector blasts Britain
Scott Ritter, who used to head the UN weapons inspection team, said the obstruction had allowed Iraq to pose an even greater threat to world peace.

Hmm I'm not too sure whether or not the guy's in charge are 'comedic geniuses' but they sure do seem to enjoy laughing at us... they've been at this bullshit for decades (at least).
bostonterrierowner

Unread post by bostonterrierowner »

brianv wrote:I'll leave that there, you can read the rest yourselves and let the implications, technical and otherwise, sink in!
Working device in 1927 , amazing indeed!

What are you getting at Brian? WW2, NAZI propaganda broadcasted directly from Hollywood to Germany and occupied Europe with "Hitler"/"Hitlers" safe in a studio , among others ?

Great find.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

bostonterrierowner wrote:
brianv wrote:I'll leave that there, you can read the rest yourselves and let the implications, technical and otherwise, sink in!
Working device in 1927 , amazing indeed!

What are you getting at Brian? WW2, NAZI propaganda broadcasted directly from Hollywood to Germany and occupied Europe with "Hitler"/"Hitlers" safe in a studio , among others ?

Great find.
Pretty much yes! It's unthinkable too that this system didn't travel to the "UK" and the "USA", but kept in the hands of the "elite". I'd even go so far as to hazard a guess that the same technology was responsible for the "glitchy" television images we saw on "9/11" - possibly dialed in from the Charnel House in Washington with the help of their pals in London.
By 1930, AT&T's 'two-way television-telephone' system was in full-scale experimental use. The Bell Labs' Manhattan facility devoted years of research to it during the 1930s, led by Dr. Herbert Ives along with his team of more than 200 scientists, engineers and technicians, intending to develop it for both telecommunication and broadcast entertainment purposes

Other earlier examples of videophones in popular culture included a videophone that was featured in the Warner Bros. cartoon, Plane Daffy, in which the female spy Hatta Mari used a videophone to communicate with Adolf Hitler (1944)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videophone

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=griiRL8Yvu0

Later edit.

Incidentally, shortly after the German "Network" was up and running we got the "Hitler" character, the "Reichstag Fire" and "WW2", shortly after the Internets was up and running we got the "Osama Bin Ladin" character and "9/11" and the subsequent wars. Both "villains" were later pronounced "dead", by the "Military". Coincidence?
ShaneG

Unread post by ShaneG »

It looks like they're gearing towards some sort of government regulation with regard to the internet.

"Obama Wants To Reclassify The Internet By Turning It Into A Utility"

http://uk.businessinsider.com/president ... uffer?r=US

I wonder what kind of repercussions we'll see from this if it turns out to be true. One can only imagine that certain sites are high on their list to be banned from existence, it's important that the power to close down sites at the click of a button doesn't fall into the hands of the wrong people.
MrSinclair

Unread post by MrSinclair »

The Daily Mail from the UK is a great source of bullshit as we all know. So I was fascinated to see these photos of the "corpse" of Che Guevara. He is reputed to have died of gunshot wounds. They must have been little ones.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -1967.html
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Ireland on the brink of a national disaster tonight. Riot police attacking people in "working class" areas of Dublin who are protesting about the criminals in charge of the country. Dark days ahead here! :(
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Those that give their blood and jail time do not do so in vain. Movements and revolutions are still important, no matter if it doesn't hurt the top of the pyramid. Maybe we occasionally do have to struggle "under boot" and make ourselves appear as alive as we are — which is more than the psychotically led psychos doing the booting delude themselves into thinking we are. It's a horrible but inescapable part of this hell. Our system sends the most conniving psychos straight to the top of the power pyramid.

Being at the "bottom" we are among a ridiculously higher percentage of good company. But not good to hear the sad news. May good fortune come to you and yours, brianv.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

hoi.polloi wrote:Those that give their blood and jail time do not do so in vain. Movements and revolutions are still important, no matter if it doesn't hurt the top of the pyramid. Maybe we occasionally do have to struggle "under boot" and make ourselves appear as alive as we are — which is more than the psychotically led psychos doing the booting delude themselves into thinking we are. It's a horrible but inescapable part of this hell. Our system sends the most conniving psychos straight to the top of the power pyramid.

Being at the "bottom" we are among a ridiculously higher percentage of good company. But not good to hear the sad news. May good fortune come to you and yours, brianv.
The shit has truly hit the proverbial fan here over her majesties' rent-boys in Dublin's proposal to introduce Water Charges. A gang of thugs have been installing meters on private property against the wishes of homeowners - there have been some nasty incidents up to now with people being assaulted and pushed off their property while the cops have stood looking on! Today has seen a backlash. I fear there's more to come!

Oh yes, there is a demonstration planned for Dec 10, I doubt if the Government buildings will still be standing by that stage.

And thanks for your kind words hoi.
anonjedi2

Unread post by anonjedi2 »

Some analytics for search terms over the last 10 years.

hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

brianv wrote:
hoi.polloi wrote:Those that give their blood and jail time do not do so in vain. Movements and revolutions are still important, no matter if it doesn't hurt the top of the pyramid. Maybe we occasionally do have to struggle "under boot" and make ourselves appear as alive as we are — which is more than the psychotically led psychos doing the booting delude themselves into thinking we are. It's a horrible but inescapable part of this hell. Our system sends the most conniving psychos straight to the top of the power pyramid.

The shit has truly hit the proverbial fan here over her majesties' rent-boys in Dublin's proposal to introduce Water Charges. A gang of thugs have been installing meters on private property against the wishes of homeowners - there have been some nasty incidents up to now with people being assaulted and pushed off their property while the cops have stood looking on! Today has seen a backlash. I fear there's more to come!

Oh yes, there is a demonstration planned for Dec 10, I doubt if the Government buildings will still be standing by that stage.

And thanks for your kind words hoi.
Nobody registered at this web site wrote:Have any of these people filed courtesy notices with the thugs? Have you heard you can basically demand the officials/drones pay each person processing time by invoicing them for the time needed to "learn" the new system, which can be indefinite, or any other thing that you deem charge-worthy? Did you know it could be seen as more of a delay tactic, but you can charge reasonable rates, still potentially useful in some cases, and that I have not actually given any advice because this is stated in the form of a question? Did you even imagine a class action law suit can be initiated by their failure to pay invoices after just one courtesy notice is sent?
I am not sure if I have ever heard of the above kind of thing or the "user" quoted.
Critical Mass

Unread post by Critical Mass »

brianv wrote:Ireland on the brink of a national disaster tonight. Riot police attacking people in "working class" areas of Dublin who are protesting about the criminals in charge of the country. Dark days ahead here! :(
I don't know if it's the UK Google servers or anything but I cannot find anything about any trouble in Dublin at all... do you have any specifics?

Good on (some of) Ireland for finally standing up to this shite either way... an angry mob is at least more respectable, more human, than the disgusting placidity we usually see from 'Westerners'.
bostonterrierowner

Unread post by bostonterrierowner »

brianv wrote:Ireland on the brink of a national disaster tonight. Riot police attacking people in "working class" areas of Dublin who are protesting about the criminals in charge of the country. Dark days ahead here! :(
MSM in Poland completely silent about Ireland . You were the country shafted the most by the banksters , Greeks and Spaniards had some lavish years at least . The Irish people were just left holding the bags ...

Do you think we would see some real resistance to the oligarchic, British controlled criminal interest or the common folk will just fold and "adjust" to the new reality and keep voting with their feet?
lux

Unread post by lux »

Well said, hoi.