Mars One - "non-profit" raising money for Mars reality TV

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
brianv

Re: Mars One - "non-profit" raising money for Mars reality T

Unread post by brianv »

hoi.polloi wrote:By the way ... Can you guess what the second most recent "update" to the "Mars One" program may be, which we might thank Space.com for? If you guessed a promotion of the latest Mars-based Hollywood production starring eager sell-out Matt Damon, you would be correct.

Hell, I guess if they're going to speculate about concepts like "outer space travel", they'd better go to the source, huh? :lol:
Hoi are you a devotee of Red Dwarf perchance? I'm curious about "smeg". Surely it can't have traveled that far? Kinda like the mars mission huh?
pov603

Unread post by pov603 »

If they can find that asteroid shaped like Felicity Kendall's bottom, then, I'm in...
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

brianv wrote:
hoi.polloi wrote:By the way ... Can you guess what the second most recent "update" to the "Mars One" program may be, which we might thank Space.com for? If you guessed a promotion of the latest Mars-based Hollywood production starring eager sell-out Matt Damon, you would be correct.

Hell, I guess if they're going to speculate about concepts like "outer space travel", they'd better go to the source, huh? :lol:
Hoi are you a devotee of Red Dwarf perchance? I'm curious about "smeg". Surely it can't have traveled that far? Kinda like the mars mission huh?
brianv, I don't want to derail the Mars One nonsense, but since it can roughly be described as a poor set piece decorated by stillborn pop culture flotsam already, I guess Red Dwarf is actually a bit on topic. I have watched with a semi-critical eye my share of that smeggin' show (but never paid for a penny of it — poor sots in the UK). However, I do watch all shows in a culturally abnormal way — scanning every episode for signs of influence by committees and duped hyped-up suckers. It's hard for me to be a devotee of any show until I have scraped it with my little rake.

However, my inner teenager that wanted to "belong" was definitely attracted to anything like Mad magazine, which had a prominent cultural place making fun of the crass and stupid aspects of our culture. The downside to this immature attitude is that one has to first absorb pop culture in order to get all the stupid jokes making fun of it. So does it help people put up enough resistance to reach escape velocity? I like to hope so, but we can't escape ourselves if we only create by iconoclastic action. We must be the cultural creatives that replace the obsolete that we're clearly taking note of. Ruthlessly self-deprecating entertainment is interesting in that it puts up a resistance to its own audience. That feels really British. Or Jewish. Or just the pan-cultural tradition of satire.

Not to derail the derailment but it's kind of like the "pub" mentality to this research, sometimes. Who even knows about 'Mars One' and how utterly idiotic it is (yet, contradictingly, the core of the present Mars background static to our lives), except through commentary about it on various web sites? Now, we have just joined the chatter. We may be in the "heckler" camp, but we are still stuck talking about absolutely moronic things sometimes, to put up the resistance.

Maybe it will be this way until we re-invent our standards about what it means to listen to our loved ones or subject them to our interests, habits and addictions. Maybe we do all have to be better, more honest entertainers of each another. But culture needs to be morphed if it's going to pay attention to the improvement. Which comes first? Smeg it. I just don't know. It's probably just an ongoing natural process.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Yes, I was worried about the derailment aspect, you can move the posts to the chatbox if you like! But thanks anyway. My 10 year old son loves it. I was quite surprised, as it was initially aired on UK TV at pub closing time and clearly aimed at that "smegment" of UK "society". The late 80's and 90's Beer and Vindaloo fueled "Lad Culture". And Clare Grogan indeed? Yeucch! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lad_culture

@Pov wasn't that Young Ones? Or does she get a shout in RD too?
hoi.polloi

Buzz Aldrin to join "Populate Mars!" effort [!??!]

In what capacity is the slave "joining" anything? But of course we are supposed to see the old liar is still at it. What happened this time? Did they threaten his family? Did they offer him more patriotic lip service? Money? Does he even have a choice in his own decisions are did they shuttle him to the Florida institute or merely make the announcement for him?

"According to GeoBeats News" (a video presently viewed by fewer than 300 people?) in turn according to report "by Royce Christyn"
royce_christyn.jpeg
royce_christyn.jpeg (5.21 KiB) Viewed 6930 times
Actor, Documentarian, Writer, Producer, Director, Author.
Fake, Schemer, Stooge, Sell-out, Simulation?
Legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin was among the first humans to walk on the moon, and he’s once again at the forefront of a pioneering space endeavor.

Aldrin has joined a team at the Florida Institute of Technology intent on colonizing Mars within 25 years.

The opening of the Buzz Aldrin Space Institute, which will focus on researching means of populating the Red Planet, is planned for the fall of this year.

Among them is a transport concept referred to as “Aldrin Mars Cycler,” which would perpetually orbit between Mars and Earth.

Aldrin noted the moons Deimos and Phobos are ideal stepping-off points for the colonizers and that he would like to see the astronauts’ trip durations last about a decade.

He commented, “The Pilgrims on the Mayflower came here to live and stay. They didn’t wait around Plymouth Rock for the return trip, and neither will people building up a population and a settlement.”

It’s also his preference that the endeavor be enacted in the year marking the 70th anniversary of his own historic moon venture.

That date is, however, somewhat negotiable. 2040, the year following it, also falls in the plan’s current timeline.
- http://yournewswire.com/video-buzz-aldr ... s-or-less/

Again, the mythos of an "orbit" that works as a perfect precessing ellipse or arbitrary path through space. Purely unproven fantasy.

Again, the childish comparison of an inhospitable, unreachable concept of "space beyond Earth" to Earth itself.

Again, the silly remembrance of number dates to anchor the new malarkey to established malarkey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyRlFupmjP0

The supposedly insightful video in question (link above), however, only cites NASA, Fox News, Florida Institute of Technology and generally seems like a worthless reference. Why the fuck are official News sites using the YouTube channel "GeoBeats" for Mars information, exactly? Have viewers completely lost any need for proof that an article has actually been researched rather than merely handed down from a bloody invisible office chair to the static illustration of a Max Headroom floating head?
hoi.polloi

As posted by patrix ...

https://futurism.com/its-official-human ... r-mission/

Is the Reality TV show going to happen now?
On March 21, President Trump issued a mandate for NASA: get people to Mars by 2033. One week later, NASA responded with its most detailed plan to date for reaching the Red Planet, and it details five phases along the road to Mars.
As if Trump has power, and as if he made the order ... :rolleyes: