THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
simonshack
Administrator

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by simonshack »

brianv wrote: Imagine the donations? The memorial! The hugging clowns!! Aghhh. <_<
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...aww, and the [Aaeeiiiaaggh-h!] vibrant tributes...

Let me see if I can whip one up...
"Mark, I never got to know you butt I just hàppen to have the same last name as you. I will allways vividly re-member your radiant grey shirt as you walked into my ofice with that perenyal smile on your face (in my book, your infectious laughter was simply par to none). I know your mom found a pair of used socks of yours which she has now stuck on her fridge so as to smell your distinctive scent each day with her morning coffee. You are an angel among the angels now and will be sorely misssed - keep up the good work and see you soon, sweetheart!"

Dafna Joyce Zunkelberg Jr
(For any newcomers to the forum who might wonder what the 'used socks' is all about... check this old 'gem' out: http://cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?p=2244991#p2244991 )
brianv

Win 10 Update Disaster

Unread post by brianv »

Late last night I noticed an update pending so I did a shutdown. Restarted and no Internet. I resorted to my Linux lappy to investigate. It appears that the idiots at Microsoft have released a shabby update that breaks Windows 10 Internet connections. And with no Internet connection how is this going to get fixed? I've just done a system restore to 3 days back. I'm going to swap back over in a moment. I also couldn't help noticing how Microsoft are referring to their affected customers as "some users" - I'm going to refer to Microsoft as "Some Assholes" in future.

If you are on Win 10 - disable your automatic updates.
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Re: Win 10 Update Disaster

Unread post by SacredCowSlayer »

brianv » December 15th, 2016, 8:08 am wrote:Late last night I noticed an update pending so I did a shutdown. Restarted and no Internet. I resorted to my Linux lappy to investigate. It appears that the idiots at Microsoft have released a shabby update that breaks Windows 10 Internet connections. And with no Internet connection how is this going to get fixed? I've just done a system restore to 3 days back. I'm going to swap back over in a moment. I also couldn't help noticing how Microsoft are referring to their affected customers as "some users" - I'm going to refer to Microsoft as "Some Assholes" in future.

If you are on Win 10 - disable your automatic updates.
Thanks for the warning. Your post arguably belongs on the "Latest Attacks on Free Speech" topic.

My computer updated yesterday morning, but I didn't lose internet connection. That said, I'm going to keep my old laptop around just in case.

Admittedly I have some mixed feelings about not making their "honor roll" as "some user". I know YouTube has put me on their special list such that most or all of my comments get deleted.

I'll be interested to hear if any other members have this same issue.
albatrosv14

Unread post by albatrosv14 »

Why are you people using windows 10? I thought you, like... value privacy and stuff. There is literally no excuse using windows 10(except complacency, laziness and fake conveniency). If you are an aaa title gamer, then use windows 7. If you need to run some special software for work, then leave it at that(yeah, i have seen xp installed just for some specific program), but i haven't seen any software which just needs to run windows 10. Otherwise, linux is the best.

Yes, i'm advertising linux. :ph34r:
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Hoi - this is the second one I've noticed recently.

User "Abacus" who joined in 2009, is celebrating it's 109th birthday today!
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

Kham » December 22nd, 2016, 4:49 pm wrote:We prefer to be called Muslims, not Mohammadans.
The reason Muslims are not "Mohammedans" (despite the common use of the term by Westerners) is that revelation in Islam happened in the form of a book, not a man.

In Christianity, the Word was made flesh, not a book. Christianity is based on Christ, not the Bible (despite Protestant bibliolatry). The Bible and the Quran are by no means spiritual equivalents.

Mohammed is to Islam as Mary is to Christianity: a receptacle through which the Divine was made palpable. That´s why Mary had to be a virgin (immaculate) and Mohammed had to be illiterate (free of worldly learning).
pov603

Unread post by pov603 »

Happy 'festivus' one and all!
brianv

Xmas Turkey

Unread post by brianv »

pov603 » December 24th, 2016, 11:17 am wrote:Happy 'festivus' one and all!
Time to start the Turkey - I hope you are all being of good cheer! :wub:
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

brianv wrote:Hoi - this is the second one I've noticed recently.

User "Abacus" who joined in 2009, is celebrating it's 109th birthday today!
Hmm, not sure what to make of that.

In any case, I am definitely in good cheer. Joy to everyone! Happy solstice! B)
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Thanks for the reminder Hoi, small donation underway.
CluedIn

Unread post by CluedIn »

It looks like the U.N. is getting ready to drop the ball on America this New Year's Eve. Ah, such symbolism.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-n ... re-n700246
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

CluedIn wrote:It looks like the U.N. is getting ready to drop the ball on America this New Year's Eve. Ah, such symbolism.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-n ... re-n700246
Huh. What is the symbolism anyway?

Dropping a big ass ball sounds really depressing and annoying rather than a celebration. One would think the New Year should start with some kind of rise in spirit or morale, not a drop. Oh, well. Big idiots and their rituals. :rolleyes:
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

I recently ran across this dickhead while reviewing the cult 70's British kid's TV series Timeslip. His name Peter Fairley, he was a regular on Sciency programmes of that era. He was the British face of the "Apollo - Man on the Moon" TV series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Fairley

His name has been lent to a web archive of "1000's" of stunning images and artifacts from the missions...according to the website's front page. I make it "21" to be exact. Oh, and get your Wallet out.

http://www.manonthemoon.org.uk/Man_on_t ... chive.html

Hey, it all boils down to this :

Once upon a time...

Some Americans went to the Moon.

The End.
guivre

Unread post by guivre »

Vesna Vulovic, Flight Attendant Who Survived Jetliner Blast, Dies at 66

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/world ... .html?_r=0
“She seems not to have lived the life of a celebrity at all and to have kept mostly to herself,” Eric Gordy, a cultural and political sociologist at University College London who studies the former Yugoslavia, said in a phone interview.
Makes you wonder what else Eric Gordy is an expert in because they rarely make one appearance. Personally I have no idea how popular she is or was in Serbia.

Seems an odd time for this story to be in the headlines again.
VonCrowne

Unread post by VonCrowne »

Why do I find myself still reading Mathis' stupid pdf's? :ph34r: