The Age of Media Fakery: Art Corner

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
ICfreely

Re: The Age of Media Fakery: Art Corner

Unread post by ICfreely »

Very impressive, I, Gestalta! The first thing that came to mind was, "Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, START!" ;)
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

A new 3-girl Melbourne, Australia, band named Camp Cope on their first album includes a song titled Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams, which made me smile. Unfortunately, its lyrics don't investigate that proposition and seem pretty infantile overall. Still, the more people exposed to that phrase the better if it leads them to question their beloved 'news'.

https://www.musixmatch.com/lyrics/Camp- ... teel-Beams
TimR

Re: The (non-religious) dinosaur hoax question

Unread post by TimR »

This thread (and a few dino skeptics online) has prompted me to look into the question of dino fakery a bit, but I'll admit I still don't have any solid conclusions.

I did write this satirical piece for my blog that I wanted to share with CF readers:
http://timrockscomics.blogspot.com/2016 ... ogist.html
In addition to my cartooning duties, I sometimes venture into the perfervid swamps of journalism. Thus it was no surprise that when a local mid-level paleontologist decided to go rogue and dish some dirt on the whole bone racket, that he should turn to me to help get the word out (I have a large readership; they're just very shy about commenting.)

I've agreed to protect his identity since there's a lot at stake, as you'll see if you read what he has to say---and he's understandably concerned that his turn as a paleo "Deep Throat" could bring retribution from those invested in the status quo Dino Paradigm. "Professor Patella" will be his moniker then---lest he end up a fossil himself!

Me: So lemme get this straight---you don't really believe in all this dino hoo-ha, do you?

Professor Patella: [He sighs. Takes puff of cigarette.] No. No I don't.

Me: The readers can't see your face obviously, since we've lighted you in silhouette---but I've seen it and, frankly, it's got more wrinkles than an elephant's trunk (or brachiosaur's tail, if you prefer.) Is that because you're very wise, or is it the stress of this Big Lie?

PP: The latter.

Me: So tell me about that---how'd you get involved in this big scam?

PP: [Sighs.] It all started when I was a kid, of course. That's usually how it starts. The Paleo-Industrial-Complex hooks you right in with a gut-level emotional appeal. Before you've developed any proper distinction between
(Continued at link)
hoi.polloi

Re: The (non-religious) dinosaur hoax question

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

That's a fine ambiguous piece (and nice cartoons!), but it could also be taken as a crack against even thinking about it. I'm going to move it to the Art Corner if you don't mind.

How about some of your actual thoughts on the subject? What do you find compelling in the evidence we're compiling for dishonesty and manipulation in paleontology? Anything concrete to add? Have you ever visited a "dig" site, etc.? :)
Prescient

Unread post by Prescient »

dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

hoi.polloi

^
I enjoy the cash money entering the camera. Subtle but nice comment. I ought to frame that one, or modify it to be less about World War in some way.

---

When Simon asked me to write some lyrics for "By the Balls" I jumped at the opportunity to include a rhythmic articulation of attitude toward the hoaxers in a Social Service song. (For those yet unaware, I was absolutely honored to be invited on their album "Songs in Vacuum"! You can preview and buy the album here: https://thesocialservice1.bandcamp.com/ ... -in-vacuum )

Not to destroy the mystery or upset the allure of the very funny and very chill final song, but more as a fun trivial tidbit, I thought I'd post the rhymes I initially wrote since they were definitely written specifically as a reference to our research, as silly and playful as they may be. Let me know what you think!

Boy you comin' at me
with that fallacy
You think they can't see your mendacity
But it's plain as can be

You're a figment — a pigment —
on an unimportant segment
of what you think's the big pitcher
but you're dealing with a fixer

Losin' your domination
the more you use that Playstation
to pretend it's ascendancy
to pretend it's necromancy
to feign it's not game over!

Excuse me whilst I hover
over here
in the free air
and you're twistin'
like if you twitch
it be chancy
'cuz you know

People keeping vigil
But it's not your dreadful sigil
they are watchin' with your botchin'
of the gifts that nature brought you

They seeing what you place there
We awake to your technique
mon'frer
And victim simulations ain't heroic
We're stoic
For the time that your market hits eject
You be checked
dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

That's cool Hoi, i like that :) Sorry, didn't see that post till now.

I only just started using Bandcamp so I'm looking at Social service albums now. Didn't even think to look for them on there, thanks. I'm looking, but I can't see my favourite song, it goes: 'I'm not saying something strange, I'm saying something true.' Which album is that on? I can only afford one right now. Its one of my favourite songs ever so I'll get that album first.

I wrote some lyrics yesterday, they just came to me at once:

I just want to write my own reality
And live inside a wonder dream

I do not want to suffer more
I do not want to care why for

The world revolves all around me
The Sun the stars the honeybee

It's nothing what I cannot see
If I don't know it must not be
dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

The Dissident

simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

dblitz » June 14th, 2017, 12:02 am wrote: I only just started using Bandcamp so I'm looking at Social service albums now. Didn't even think to look for them on there, thanks. I'm looking, but I can't see my favourite song, it goes: 'I'm not saying something strange, I'm saying something true.' Which album is that on? I can only afford one right now. Its one of my favourite songs ever so I'll get that album first.
Dear dblitz,

That's a track called "Strange", from an old album (ca. 2007 /2008) titled "No Fool" which, for some reason, I have never published / or uploaded anywhere. Actually, a few (instrumental) parts of that album are featured in the September Clues soundtrack. However, as soon as I find the time (need to remaster a couple of tracks of the album) I will upload it on our Bandcamp page.

In the meantime, please enjoy a decent mp3 version of "Strange" - which I just sent you via e-mail. :)

Here's "Strange" on Youtube (a video I once stitched together using an old 50's General Electric propaganda movie... 'promoting' the Atomic Age! :puke: :lol: ) :

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jhz48tORMQ

The Social Service BANDCAMP page : https://thesocialservice1.bandcamp.com/
dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

Thank you Simon. Now I remember using Youtube downloader to get that song some years ago but lost it since. Excellent, an mp3 for my phone and in the car.

I had a listen to the first few songs on 'Songs in Vacuum' on Bandcamp and I bought it, I like it a lot, gave you an extra two euros. Your voice sounds great on those tracks, and the music is quite unique, very impressive.

Thanks again for emailing the track, I really appreciate that :)
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Thanks for your kind words, dblitz (and for getting my music) - much appreciated ! :)
dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

I just found this old story I wrote, around 2005 or 6. It has some space elements that some may disagree with, and maybe I would write it differently now, but the plot is the main thing. I would appreciate feedback as I am getting back into writing and I might even re-write this since it was a while ago now and I have an alternative ending in mind.

https://dblitzblog.blogspot.com.au/2017 ... ution.html
hoi.polloi

That's great dblitz! Creativity is awesome. Is there some way it can tie into media fakery though? I'm concerned we are not staying on topic otherwise.

I am sorry to say we don't yet have a space for general art critique unless it ties into that somehow. :P

Though perhaps we should.
dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

I will try to think up a story with a plot based on media fakery.