Summarizing CluesForum (PDF project)

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest

Summarizing CluesForum (PDF project)

Postby animus on April 11th, 2018, 11:18 pm

Kassie » 10 Apr 2018, 15:16 wrote: I've been thinking about what I can offer this forum and how I can fit in. I was an editor for over a decade and often did freelance work helping PhD students with their dissertations. However, I find that people with good reasoning tend to write very well, so I doubt my editing skills would be much needed here.
hoi.polloi » 11 Apr 2018, 17:15 wrote: Do you have any ideas about how we might be able to improve the "branding" or appearance of the site so the flavor of investigation we do is more readily understood by average visitors? Or is that perhaps unwise?

Here's an idea:
People today have little time and they like to read something from top to bottom. Here are a LOT of posts to any given topic and one can see how the results were formed during the discussions. However, most people would rather see merely the results than going through hundreds of posts of discussion. Take for example the Endeavour Space shuttle thread. It is 53 pages long. Compare that with a blog entry that summarizes the findings of that same thread. Of course, there is a lot missing in the blog entry which has been covered in the thread, yet it still manages to convey the crucial point, namely that of a hoax, with the evidence presented in a way to be most compelling for an average reader. And isn't that the main goal here? To convey the results to the public?

If there are any volunteers here who want to help making the information of this forum more accessible to the general public, especially those with editing skills, I would suggest to go through some of those lengthy discussions and select the most compelling evidence and arguments presented in the various posts and make a printable pdf out of it. There is no need to write any own text. Quoting the best parts of any given posts will suffice. In the end CF will have its own ebook, i.e. a forum post collection with an amazing table of contents. An ebook that anybody could read in 7 days instead of spending 7 entire months or more to sift through all threads by themselves. Let's face it, people are lazy and want the information presented to them in the most digestible form. I don't know how the admins see the future of this forum but my guess is that it is going to grow. So, the sooner volunteers would start such a project the sooner newcomers can enjoy an overview of the most important forum topics and the sooner it may be spread among common people who are still ignorant and oblivious to Media's lies. Wouldn't such a ebook make for a nice bus, train and subway reading? it would also spare us from linking to any dubious blogs. Just imagine the very best and exemplary posts all in the hands of common folk. The post themselves are game changers already. People's world view will be challenged to a great extent. Yet the game doesn't change as long as the information is hidden in deep discussions.
Of course, it will have to be stressed that some topics don't have any clear outcome yet but reading about some intermediate results or musings may already intrigue people's interest so that they visit the forum on their own accord to read up on the latest updates or even add new points and findings to the discussion.

How is that for a project? It may take a year or two but the end result will definitely be a huge gold nugget which leads to CF's informational goldmine. Should be worth it, don't you think?

edit: almost forgot: Welcome, Kassie. :)
animus
Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: February 20th, 2016, 9:13 pm

Re: REQUIRED: Introduce Yourself

Postby thisisunreal on April 11th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Animus, well put.

It took me days to read the Endeavour Space Shuttle thread you referred to in its entirety. I have spent months and months reading the posts on cluesforum and I do so because I have both the time and inclination. In general, I would say the superb detail and depth is too much for many.

Summarising the content is an excellent way to propagate the messages powerfully.

I would like to be involved and suggest there are a number of free collaborative tools that can be used to allow designated users to see what others have produced on an ongoing basis. This would be a neat way of working to avoid duplication, allow for moderation, correction, collaboration and so on.

The final content could then be more attractively packaged up and uploaded to cluesforum. These summaries would also stand the test of time more effectively should the content from cluesforum go missing for whatever reason.
thisisunreal
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: July 26th, 2016, 11:20 am

Re: REQUIRED: Introduce Yourself

Postby simonshack on April 12th, 2018, 12:19 am

It's late here where I live - and I'm about to hit the sack. But I just wished to say:

YES! Let's summarize the material of this forum in a series of more concise, easily readable & palatable PDF's ! It is a monster enterprise - but well worth the effort, imho ! It is something I have often thought of doing - but hopefully we can distribute this effort among willing forum members, as Hoi and myself are a bit overwhelmed right now by the Tychos project.

Thank you animus and thisisunreal for your great suggestions! Let's talk about it. :)

And welcome to the forum, Kassie!
simonshack
Administrator
 
Posts: 6519
Joined: October 18th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Location: italy

Re: REQUIRED: Introduce Yourself

Postby fbenario on April 12th, 2018, 2:02 am

hoi.polloi » April 11th, 2018, 11:15 am wrote:Do you have any ideas about how we might be able to improve the "branding" or appearance of the site?

Well, it's not a matter of substance, but I've long wished for a different look for the forum, especially changing the ochre color of all the borders and frames.

Any members with design backgrounds?
fbenario
Member
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: October 23rd, 2009, 2:49 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Summarizing CluesForum (PDF project)

Postby hoi.polloi on April 12th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Here is a topic for those who want to take on the project of summarizing the best points of CluesForum.

We are generally skilled at "self moderation" in the sense that if we strongly suspect someone is being disruptive to a process we can gently disarm them with words. However, I trust that most members interested in this project will be fine on their own.

This topic thread is for compiling the project and for those that wish to communicate with other members about compiling it. Please let me know if the project outgrows a single discussion. I would say, "Feel free to start any number of topics as needed" but let's see how it goes first. We are open to suggestions about this. :)
hoi.polloi
Administrator
 
Posts: 4994
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Re: REQUIRED: Introduce Yourself

Postby thisisunreal on April 12th, 2018, 10:14 pm

simonshack » April 11th, 2018, 11:19 pm wrote:It's late here where I live - and I'm about to hit the sack. But I just wished to say:

YES! Let's summarize the material of this forum in a series of more concise, easily readable & palatable PDF's ! It is a monster enterprise - but well worth the effort, imho ! It is something I have often thought of doing - but hopefully we can distribute this effort among willing forum members, as Hoi and myself are a bit overwhelmed right now by the Tychos project.

Thank you animus and thisisunreal for your great suggestions! Let's talk about it. :)

And welcome to the forum, Kassie!


With reference to the above post, here are my thoughts relating to summarising content (an idea posited by animus),

An overview of how I see one of many ways of going about this task.

1.) Decide which is the strongest work on the forum that needs summarising.
2.) Decide who can take on each theme.
3.) Have a moderator set up a document for each theme decided upon.
4.) The owner / moderator of those documents gives edit permissions.
5.) There will have to be some agreement in terms of the direction and posts that are deemed 'the strongest'. This is a tough point as you will naturally have some disagreement in terms of posters who focus on different aspects of reaching a 'proof'.
6.) Let the edit process begin by those cluesforum members nominated to each theme.
7.) Reach and end point and declare the document ready to be submitted for final moderation / checking / approval.
8.) Package the document up.
9.) Post the document.
10.) Enjoy the enlightenment and subsequent thought revolution that follows.

Regards
thisisunreal
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: July 26th, 2016, 11:20 am

Re: Summarizing CluesForum (PDF project)

Postby simonshack on April 12th, 2018, 10:47 pm

*
Let me just transfer (from the "Introduce Yourself" thread) the posts that started this excellent idea:

Animus wrote:

animus wrote:Here's an idea:
People today have little time and they like to read something from top to bottom. Here are a LOT of posts to any given topic and one can see how the results were formed during the discussions. However, most people would rather see merely the results than going through hundreds of posts of discussion. Take for example the Endeavour Space shuttle thread. It is 53 pages long. Compare that with a blog entry that summarizes the findings of that same thread. Of course, there is a lot missing in the blog entry which has been covered in the thread, yet it still manages to convey the crucial point, namely that of a hoax, with the evidence presented in a way to be most compelling for an average reader. And isn't that the main goal here? To convey the results to the public?

If there are any volunteers here who want to help making the information of this forum more accessible to the general public, especially those with editing skills, I would suggest to go through some of those lengthy discussions and select the most compelling evidence and arguments presented in the various posts and make a printable pdf out of it. There is no need to write any own text. Quoting the best parts of any given posts will suffice. In the end CF will have its own ebook, i.e. a forum post collection with an amazing table of contents. An ebook that anybody could read in 7 days instead of spending 7 entire months or more to sift through all threads by themselves. Let's face it, people are lazy and want the information presented to them in the most digestible form. I don't know how the admins see the future of this forum but my guess is that it is going to grow. So, the sooner volunteers would start such a project the sooner newcomers can enjoy an overview of the most important forum topics and the sooner it may be spread among common people who are still ignorant and oblivious to Media's lies. Wouldn't such a ebook make for a nice bus, train and subway reading? it would also spare us from linking to any dubious blogs. Just imagine the very best and exemplary posts all in the hands of common folk. The post themselves are game changers already. People's world view will be challenged to a great extent. Yet the game doesn't change as long as the information is hidden in deep discussions.
Of course, it will have to be stressed that some topics don't have any clear outcome yet but reading about some intermediate results or musings may already intrigue people's interest so that they visit the forum on their own accord to read up on the latest updates or even add new points and findings to the discussion.

How is that for a project? It may take a year or two but the end result will definitely be a huge gold nugget which leads to CF's informational goldmine. Should be worth it, don't you think?


Thisisunreal replied :

thisisunreal wrote: Animus, well put.

It took me days to read the Endeavour Space Shuttle thread you referred to in its entirety. I have spent months and months reading the posts on cluesforum and I do so because I have both the time and inclination. In general, I would say the superb detail and depth is too much for many.

Summarising the content is an excellent way to propagate the messages powerfully.

I would like to be involved and suggest there are a number of free collaborative tools that can be used to allow designated users to see what others have produced on an ongoing basis. This would be a neat way of working to avoid duplication, allow for moderation, correction, collaboration and so on.

The final content could then be more attractively packaged up and uploaded to cluesforum. These summaries would also stand the test of time more effectively should the content from cluesforum go missing for whatever reason.


Thisisunreal then elaborated :

thisisunreal wrote:With reference to the above post, here are my thoughts relating to summarising content (an idea posited by animus),

An overview of how I see one of many ways of going about this task.

1.) Decide which is the strongest work on the forum that needs summarising.
2.) Decide who can take on each theme.
3.) Have a moderator set up a document for each theme decided upon.
4.) The owner / moderator of those documents gives edit permissions.
5.) There will have to be some agreement in terms of the direction and posts that are deemed 'the strongest'. This is a tough point as you will naturally have some disagreement in terms of posters who focus on different aspects of reaching a 'proof'.
6.) Let the edit process begin by those cluesforum members nominated to each theme.
7.) Reach and end point and declare the document ready to be submitted for final moderation / checking / approval.
8.) Package the document up.
9.) Post the document.
10.) Enjoy the enlightenment and subsequent thought revolution that follows.
simonshack
Administrator
 
Posts: 6519
Joined: October 18th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Location: italy

Re: REQUIRED: Introduce Yourself

Postby kickstones on April 13th, 2018, 9:40 am

fbenario » April 12th, 2018, 2:02 am wrote:
hoi.polloi » April 11th, 2018, 11:15 am wrote:Do you have any ideas about how we might be able to improve the "branding" or appearance of the site?

Well, it's not a matter of substance, but I've long wished for a different look for the forum, especially changing the ochre color of all the borders and frames.

Any members with design backgrounds?


I don't know if this has been suggested before and I don't know if it would work with Cluesforum, but I used to run a website a few years ago which had moderate success (it reached top 100,000 status in USA on Alexa) and one tool I used was WordPress, it has ready-made designs which are very modern and pleasing on the eye.

It also, if I remember rightly, a facility whereby members can log in to the main editing page and add stuff.

As with any tool there were minor issues and regular updates were needed for security reasons but overall the Pros outweighed the Cons

Here's a link if anyone is interested

Integrating WordPress with Your Website

https://codex.wordpress.org/Integrating ... ur_Website
kickstones
Member
 
Posts: 180
Joined: January 16th, 2013, 2:15 pm

Re: Summarizing CluesForum (PDF project)

Postby sharpstuff on April 14th, 2018, 5:41 am

Just a point here.

I already offered to put CF into .pdf some months ago. I don't know where the thread is.
I have spent many man-hours producing these files and uploaded them to my cloud account, giving readers the links to the files.

Unfortunately, I have had to abandon the project for the near future since I have to look after my dear lady who is not well. We are both getting on in age.

If anyone wishes to download the files and make use of what I have already accomplished (albeit with a slow connection at the time), you are most welcome. I can give you the links to the files again, if you request them.

Yours,
Sharpstuff
sharpstuff
Member
 
Posts: 98
Joined: February 4th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Re: Summarizing CluesForum (PDF project)

Postby hoi.polloi on April 14th, 2018, 6:35 am

Thank you Sharpstuff. Please do provide the link here!

Sorry to hear of your troubles and do please stay well.
hoi.polloi
Administrator
 
Posts: 4994
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Re: Summarizing CluesForum (PDF project)

Postby sharpstuff on April 14th, 2018, 11:20 am

My Dear Hoi,

Thank you for your kind message.

At 74, I am not au fait with all the latest 'technology';. I only use what works for me as a professional.

I submitted all my work on Clues to MEGA for download. Apparently some of those links do not work.

I have tried to establish a new link:

https://mega.nz/#F!S4J2HaZD!-E4avfLGBeiU9ieFEiCZ0

which should work to locate the folder, within which my works subside.

Please let me know if you can acccess the files inside as I have tried to download them without success.

Please bear with me. The original files which created the .pdf are no longer available due to contraints. So much hard work may be lost.

Please let me know.
I would be happy to give you my MEGA ID (privately) to access the file. You may have my e-mail address.

My best regards,
Sharpstuff
sharpstuff
Member
 
Posts: 98
Joined: February 4th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Re: Summarizing CluesForum (PDF project)

Postby hoi.polloi on April 14th, 2018, 5:23 pm

That login won't load without a key. You may send this to: hoi.polloi

At mail.com
hoi.polloi
Administrator
 
Posts: 4994
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Re: Summarizing CluesForum (PDF project)

Postby sharpstuff on April 15th, 2018, 10:54 am

Dear Hoi,

Sorry for that link not working.

I missed a letter copying and pasting.

This link should work:
https://mega.nz/#F!S4J2HaZD!-E4avfLGBeiU9ieFEiCZ0g

I get very tired this time of day...

Be good...
sharpstuff
Member
 
Posts: 98
Joined: February 4th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Re: Summarizing CluesForum (PDF project)

Postby hoi.polloi on April 15th, 2018, 6:09 pm

This is an incredible amount of work, sharpstuff! Thank you so much for your compilation. WOW!

I suggest that everyone accesses this archive through the link provided.

sharpstuff, is there some way that other users can add to these folders and we can eventually compile more of the topics?

Also, I see that we could still stand to make some kind of "overview PDF" for choice topics to keep it from being an overwhelming amount of info. Maybe this topic can be focused on that particular project, but with awareness of what you have achieved: documenting the forum in a more direct way.
hoi.polloi
Administrator
 
Posts: 4994
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Re: Summarizing CluesForum (PDF project)

Postby thisisunreal on April 15th, 2018, 8:49 pm

I echo the words above. What an amazing 'backup' and alternate presentation of the forum content.

My feeling is that the material still needs summarising to convey the sense of what it is 'we' are saying, but in brief.

What I mean is, one theme, one document (short and to the point)! The presentation of the strongest arguments, points, images and obvious chicanery into a single attractive document. The idea here is that people can consume only a certain amount of information at once. So, you whet their appetite with a superb single document and stimulate their thirst for more, at which point they come to cluesforum in their own time and start their own journey.

Given that forum members have worked so hard in creating superb content, it seems a shame not to 'sell' the content as hard as possible to achieve the audience that the material rightly deserves.
thisisunreal
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: July 26th, 2016, 11:20 am

Next

Return to THE LIVING ROOM

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests