Fakery in Orbit: THE I$$

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
Heiwa
Banned

Re: Re:

Unread post by Heiwa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:19 am

Heiwa wrote:
Paolo is doing advanced colloids experiments at the ISS:

http://www.astronautical.org/sites/defa ... rfield.pdf p. 8 of 10. :P

Tracy was there as well - with the hair put together! :lol:
I asked (via email) Paul Chaikin (NYU, US), David Weitz (Harvard, US), Arjun Yodh (Penn, US), Roberto Piazza (U. Milano, I) and Luca Cipelletti (U.Montpellier, F), all physicists/PhDs, etc, about their advanced colloids research in space at the ISS – how to get the samples into space and back to Earth and about the influence of acceleration/deceleration of the samples in the process, etc, but nobody answered. I wonder why?

lux

Re: Fakery in Orbit: THE ISS

Unread post by lux » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:40 pm

i asked, via the "ask NASA" page on NASA's site, how the ISS copes with meteor showers. I asked this question months ago and have received no reply.

Starbucked

Unread post by Starbucked » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:33 am

Station Crew Views Shuttle Landing

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegal ... _2014.html

This unprecedented view of the space shuttle Atlantis, appearing like a bean sprout against clouds and city lights, on its way home, was photographed by the Expedition 28 crew of the International Space Station.... so says NASA

Couldn't find a video of this, of course. Needless to say, a realistic video of this event would have been difficult to make by using CGI

lux

Unread post by lux » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:20 pm

^ Stars !!! :o

CitronBleu

Unread post by CitronBleu » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:20 pm

lux wrote:i asked, via the "ask NASA" page on NASA's site, how the ISS copes with meteor showers. I asked this question months ago and have received no reply.
File an FOIA.

It takes a while but they respond.

hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:33 pm

CitronBleu wrote:
lux wrote:i asked, via the "ask NASA" page on NASA's site, how the ISS copes with meteor showers. I asked this question months ago and have received no reply.
File an FOIA.

True. The only problem I've run into is if you don't know the name of the document you are looking for and you blindly select from a list, you may end up with GigaBytes of peculiar garbage. There's no obligation for them to answer a question. But if you find a likely source of the answer you seek, could work ... worth looking I guess? (What am I saying? I can't be optimistic from experience!)

lux

Unread post by lux » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:18 pm

i just asked again via the "Ask NASA" page. The site says to allow 10-15 days for an answer. So, I will give it another wait.

If they do manage some sort of answer I thought I'd start an "Ask NASA" thread where we can all post NASA's answers to questions we pose via that site. I think it would be interesting to have lots of questions from members here being answered by NASA. :D

Or, of course, someone else can start the thread if they manage to get an answer to some question from NASA first.

CitronBleu

Unread post by CitronBleu » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 pm

hoi.polloi wrote:
CitronBleu wrote:
File an FOIA.

True. The only problem I've run into is if you don't know the name of the document you are looking for and you blindly select from a list, you may end up with GigaBytes of peculiar garbage. There's no obligation for them to answer a question. But if you find a likely source of the answer you seek, could work ... worth looking I guess? (What am I saying? I can't be optimistic from experience!)
What is your experience?

simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:33 pm

CitronBleu wrote:
What is your experience?
It's a very long story, Citron Bleu... Hoi has been patiently battling with it for over three years now:

FOIA Request for 9/11 Flight Envelopes : http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=94

CitronBleu

Unread post by CitronBleu » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:06 pm

I narrowed mine pretty close.

I received a written reply about five weeks after I mailed an FOIA request for information on the MSL. However it was somewhat confusing. At the beginning of the letter, the NASA FOIA representative stated there was "a delay" in the decision procedure. At the end of the letter "the delay" then became "a denial." So I am not sure which one it is, although the JPL representative (who called me) assured me his office simply needed more time to process the request. I submitted to NASA headquarters in Washington, D.C. an appeal to the "denial," as per article 4 CFR § 1206.605, and three weeks later received an email, and a call, from a senior NASA attorney who's curriculum states he worked in the past as a member of the U.S. presidential executive legal team.

Decision to release the requested documents* is contingent upon approval from "another agency" (?) and is pending. I should get an answer by 11 March.

Nevertheless, what justification is there in refusing to divulge, to the public, information on a non-defense related planet exploration project funded by the tax-payer? How then can future space exploration projects be justified?

I am surprised this request hasn't been made, to my knowledge, by a single engineering professional, professor, or student. Wouldn't an engineer want to know a little more about the most astounding feat of engineering ever accomplished in our era?

Where is the Curiosity?

* Initial 2003 NASA Board Review Report for Sky Crane Vehicle Project; and
JPL Advanced Projects Design Team MSL Powered Descent Vehicle (PDV) Project Report

Starbucked

Unread post by Starbucked » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:31 am

Interesting video of NASA's neutral buoyancy lab during an astronot, or is that aquanaught, rehearsal for a "Columbus" Spacewalk! ;)

At 18 seconds the voice says "I'm hoping the real thing will be obvious...."

At around 1 minute the voice says " so Tim, you need to be BETWEEN the camera and the platform" and then how the astronot "Tim" should have the "boom" on the other side of him, relative to the AVFR.

Sounds like the guy speaking is the Video Director for the EVA and is relaying the importance of not getting the camera boom in the shot, especially when they remove the ankle weights and go live for the REAL event, with the Earth, stars, and/or inky blackness of space superimposed in the background.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTU8U7y0CUI

Here is Tim Kopra, who Nasa says, Space Walked in 2009. Perhaps this is Tim, from the video... How was it, Tim?

Last edited by Starbucked on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:18 am

CitronBleu wrote:I narrowed mine pretty close.

I received a written reply about five weeks after I mailed an FOIA request for information on the MSL. However it was somewhat confusing. At the beginning of the letter, the NASA FOIA representative stated there was "a delay" in the decision procedure. At the end of the letter "the delay" then became "a denial." So I am not sure which one it is, although the JPL representative (who called me) assured me his office simply needed more time to process the request. I submitted to NASA headquarters in Washington, D.C. an appeal to the "denial," as per article 4 CFR § 1206.605, and three weeks later received an email, and a call, from a senior NASA attorney who's curriculum states he worked in the past as a member of the U.S. presidential executive legal team.

Decision to release the requested documents* is contingent upon approval from "another agency" (?) and is pending. I should get an answer by 11 March.

Nevertheless, what justification is there in refusing to divulge, to the public, information on a non-defense related planet exploration project funded by the tax-payer? How then can future space exploration projects be justified?

I am surprised this request hasn't been made, to my knowledge, by a single engineering professional, professor, or student. Wouldn't an engineer want to know a little more about the most astounding feat of engineering ever accomplished in our era?

Where is the Curiosity?

* Initial 2003 NASA Board Review Report for Sky Crane Vehicle Project; and
JPL Advanced Projects Design Team MSL Powered Descent Vehicle (PDV) Project Report
To avoid FOIAs there is:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/l2/

L2 is a revolutionary and unprecedented resource by NASA that gives you the opportunity to be on the frontline of space flight, ranging from mission specific documentation, to following the development process of new vehicles and infrastructure, blowing the doors wide open on information you’ve never had access to before. …
For just a small subscription rate – used solely to support this site’s costs – you can be involved with the inner workings of your favourite subject. …

Annual Subscription $89.99

:P

icarusinbound

Unread post by icarusinbound » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:16 am

$89.99 on what terms? One-off, monthly, or annual recurring?

And is that access granted to an individual or an institution? Whether it be the former or the latter, even assuming that only a small sub-set of the 1,337 registered users of Clues were to contribute towards a collective payment, the cost would reduce to somewhere between 7cents per person, or at worst $44.99 each, for you and Simon to both pay. There would then be a scramble of conscience-stricken contributors stampeding to pay that missing penny. And hey presto, in truth everyone pays a capitation of a few cents up to a dollar, and it's sorted.

And after all, NASA must be keen for all forward-thinking online science and technology research groups to become subscribers to such an intimately-connected information conduit.

lux

Unread post by lux » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:11 pm

NASA just released this image of Washington DC they say was taken from the ISS:
http://chevychase.patch.com/articles/na ... o-13499087

Again, NASA seems to have no trouble photographing dim specks of city street lighting yet capturing stars in their photos continues to elude them. <_<

simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:52 pm

lux wrote: Again, NASA seems to have no trouble photographing dim specks of city street lighting yet capturing stars in their photos continues to elude them. <_<
Oh, Lux - you just don't seem to understand, do you? :P

Stars are simply too dim to be captured by any existing camera on earth (or in space) ! You obviously do not possess the slightest notion of the technical realities of photography /lens aperture/ shutter speed - etc...! :lol:

Besides, EVERYONE knows that city lights emit far more lumen than stars ! And YOU should know that!
"A lux is one lumen per square meter."

Also, as you can easily see here, the sheer brightness of this astronut would make it impossible for the camera to capture BOTH the astronut AND the stars. If you don't like that, you should complain with the artist of this canvas - uh, I mean, digital photograph! So don't come here and complain senselessly about the lack of stars in the NASA pictures - there's nothing we can do about it!...