'USS New York - Forged from the steel of the WTC'

All other news and developments related to 9/11
icarusinbound

'USS New York - Forged from the steel of the WTC'

Unread post by icarusinbound »

I hadn't heard anything about this until stumbling across it online, nor have I seen it mentioned on 'Clues': has this all not had a rather low-key MSM 'launch'? Perhaps I just missed it...

http://www.ussnewyork.com/
...the most unique characteristic of the ships construction process is that the bow stem was formed using steel from the World Trade Center (WTC).

In August 2005 NGSS finished construction of the bow stem. Hoisting and welding the 7.5-metric ton bow stem to the ship was completed in August 2006.

“It’s a tremendous feeling,” said Capt. Bill Galinis, Navy program manager for LPD 21. “It’s a tie that will forever bind the Sailors and Marines who sail this ship with the citizens of New York.”

The idea for using steel from the WTC as part of the ship's frame could not be attributed to any one individual or organization. However, New York Gov. George Pataki worked to acquire the steel and deliver it to the Amite Foundry and Machine, Inc., Amite, La., as a gift from the citizens of New York to the Navy. The steel was treated and smelted for use as the ship’s bow stem (Unit 1120) during construction.

The bow stem is the foremost portion of the ship where it cuts through the water and offers hull integrity.

"The significance of where the WTC steel is located on the 684-foot-long ship symbolizes the strength and resiliency of the citizens of New York as it sails forward around the world," said Cmdr. Quentin King, Navy program manager representative on site. "It sends a message of America becoming stronger as a result, coming together as a country and ready to move forward as we make our way through the world."
And the other two ships in this...fabricated, it must be said, 911 trio...

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/19 ... e-ceremony
Steel from the Pentagon will be displayed in a small tribute room in the USS Arlington. The USS Somerset includes steel melted down from the bucket of a huge coal-mining crane that stood near the crash site. It was there that miners hung a large American flag to serve as a landmark and to honor the dead

I feel that perhaps Heiwa should make some nautical comment on all this...