Russian Meteor Shower 15-2-2013

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
simonshack
Administrator

Re: Russian Meteor Shower 15-2-2013

Unread post by simonshack »

anon1911 wrote:
I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.
Your question being?
anon1911
Banned

Unread post by anon1911 »

simonshack wrote:
anon1911 wrote:
I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.
Your question being?

What exactly do you expect a meteorite to look like when entering the earth's atmosphere?

No vapor trail? No light? No nothing?
simonshack
Administrator

anon1911 wrote:
What exactly do you expect a meteorite to look like when entering the earth's atmosphere?

No vapor trail? No light? No nothing?
Anon dear,

You are free to believe in the authenticity of the videos which have so far been released of this event.

I won't even argue with you about it. You are free to believe in those videos - and those soundtracks.

Have a nice day.
anon1911
Banned

simonshack wrote: Anon dear,

You are free to believe in the authenticity of the videos which have so far been released of this event.

I won't even argue with you about it. You are free to believe in those videos - and those soundtracks.

Have a nice day.
I have at no point stated that I believe in the todays events nor have I stated anywhere that I believe in the authencity of the videos. Please provide me with quotes where I should have done so.

You did question the vapor trail though. If, as you think (?), it is strange that there are vapor trails, what else do you expect to happen?

I seriously don't know why you won't simply answer my question.
nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

anon1911 wrote:
nonhocapito wrote: I can speculate whether this is true or not, and get in a long winded debate about it. Thing is, this is a scientific angle of which I personally know nothing about. And I am sure you don't have a clue either, so what would we be debating for?

And sure, we don't know how this would look like, because this never happens.
Please ask simonshack why he raised these questions.

I'm not sure what 'scientific angle' you are talking about though but as far as I am concerned, I know how burning stuff looks like.
I wonder, why this never happens?
For starters, because most of the globe is covered by oceans where nobody lives. The odds of anything hitting a city are incredibly low. Secondly, it never happens because most of everything, evidently, if ever, gets burned entering the atmosphere. So the odds are against this particular event, probably as unlikely as a lightning hitting the dome of St. Peter on the day the pope resigns. :P
Something similar actually did happen in 1972.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WlCfuPrszU

What are the odds? I don't know.
You might be right or wrong about the credibility of those trails, what I am saying is that this cannot easily proved or disproved since none of us has had this experience personally. The way to demonstrate this beyond any doubt would be to understand the science behind it (geology, physics, chemistry and all that) and I don't think this will happen here to everyone's satisfaction.

It's true that this observation should not be directed at you in particular, however it was interesting to try and understand if you were putting yourself on the side of the videos being credible. Seeing that you don't, isn't it legitimate at that point to wonder whether those trail also really make any sense?

As to the odds of a meteor falling on earth: the example you pointed out (explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Dayl ... 2_Fireball), as the others that can be found around youtube, do not document any kind of impact, let alone over a major city: they just document a meteor passing through the sky. Sometime the meteor can look quite dramatic, and can appear to be flying low, but in fact it is really dissolving thousands of miles up in the sky, causing no damage whatsoever. So I stand by my general idea, that something like this, a meteor exploding over a city, never happens.
simonshack
Administrator

anon1911 wrote:
I have at no point stated that I believe in the todays events nor have I stated anywhere that I believe in the authencity of the videos. Please provide me with quotes where I should have done so.

You did question the vapor trail though. If, as you think (?), it is strange that there are vapor trails, what else do you expect to happen?

Anon,

What's going on in this image - in your opinion?
What's that tall light flashing ahead of the meteorite? And can you see any vapor trail here?
http://www.universetoday.com/100003/rus ... -confirms/

A vapor trail remotely similar to this one ?

And do the two above images even look as if they were captured on the same day?

You are free to believe in this tall tale released by the media. At the end of the day, it's all up to you to digest it - or not.
daozen

Panic in Russia for Meteor Meteorite Impact Fall

Unread post by daozen »

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60sn5U_deGI

Same ol'?
Dcopymope
Banned

Unread post by Dcopymope »

simonshack wrote:
anon1911 wrote:

Anon,

What's that tall light flashing ahead of the meteorite? And can you see any vapor trail here?

The problem is that anyone can logically conclude that the sky only looks dark in the first image because of the meteorite passing by at that particular moment, where as it is long gone in the second image. Also, the flash of light you are referring to in the first image is the meteorite itself based on how it looks in all the other videos.

Chelyabinsk, Russia Meteor explodes in the sky :
full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlX7xO6rWts
Last edited by Dcopymope on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
anon1911
Banned

nonhocapito wrote: You might be right or wrong about the credibility of those trails, what I am saying is that this cannot easily proved or disproved since none of us has had this experience personally. The way to demonstrate this beyond any doubt would be to understand the science behind it (geology, physics, chemistry and all that) and I don't think this will happen here to everyone's satisfaction.
I agree with you, we probably won't understand the science behind it. After all, the vapor trail that is shown on todays videos and images is exactly what I personally would expect an event such as this to look like. (Once again, this is no judgement about wheter the footages is credible or not)

It's true that this observation should not be directed at you in particular, however it was interesting to try and understand if you were putting yourself on the side of the videos being credible. Seeing that you don't, isn't it legitimate at that point to wonder whether those trail also really make any sense?
Yes it is legitimate. In my view the vapor trail perfectly makes sense since as far as I know asteroids (or comets) are composed of carbon based organic compound, ice and rock. Now, what happens if you burn these materials? You get it.

As to the odds of a meteor falling on earth: the example you pointed out (explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Dayl ... 2_Fireball), as the others that can be found around youtube, do not document any kind of impact, let alone over a major city: they just document a meteor passing through the sky. Sometime the meteor can look quite dramatic, and can appear to be flying low, but in fact it is really dissolving thousands of miles up in the sky, causing no damage whatsoever. So I stand by my general idea, that something like this, a meteor exploding over a city, never happens.
Yes indeed. No documented impact at these events.

I totally get your 'won't happen because too unlikely'-point. But look at the 1972 meteor, which passed by within 57 kilometers. What are 57 kilometers compared to our solar systems size?

How likely is such a pass-by? Very unlikely but it happened several times by now.

Edit: I'm having problems with finding sources for any similar event. Google and youtube is getting flooded with the russian meteor event...
Last edited by anon1911 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
anon1911
Banned

simonshack wrote: Anon,

Is this taken from a video? If so, please share the link to the video.

EDIT:

The light flashing to the right appears to be the meteorite itself. It's shortly after the meteorite explodes and it seems that the lights to the left is just still glowing, smaller debris.

Can be seen here at 0:11~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8QjaAPrxvQ

It can also be seen at 0:45~
The first image does show the vapor trail while the meteor is still falling down. The second image does show the vapor trail after the meteor exploded and probably after the impact. Therefore at a later time.
We do not know the difference in time, so we can't judge how much time the vapor trail had to become 'bigger' and spread in the air.

EDIT: I think that the second picture shows the vapor trail of the 'still glowing, smaller debris' which I mentioned above in this posting.

I do not know any of the cameras specifiactions or settings. Yes I think it's possible that both pictures are taken on the same day.
You are free to believe in this tall tale released by the media. At the end of the day, it's all up to you to digest it - or not.
I'm getting the feeling that you will keep on repeating yourself. Won't make it truer anyway.

Just a quick note: Still no answer to my question.
lux

Unread post by lux »

Personally, I have a hard time believing that a meteorite moving at thousands of mph left a fluffy trail like this:

... and then, moving at near horizontal, left a hole like this:

Has anyone produced any fragments of this thing? Is there any evidence that it was a meteorite as opposed to being, say, space junk or some misguided ordnance?
anon1911
Banned

lux wrote:Personally, I have a hard time believing that a meteorite moving at thousands of mph left a fluffy trail like this:

simonshack has a hard time believing that a meteorite has a trail at all :lol:

... and then, moving at near horizontal, left a hole like this:
The meteorite reportedly split up into smaller pieces. Afaik there was no 'main-impact' site.
Has anyone produced any fragments of this thing? Is there any evidence that it was a meteorite as opposed to being, say, space junk or some misguided ordnance?
I don't think that any pieces of whatever came down there were found by now. At least I haven't heard of anything like that.
Dcopymope
Banned

Unread post by Dcopymope »

lux wrote:^ Yes, it's big news in the USA.

They've been prepping the population for a doomsday collision event for decades. Lots of Hollywood movies and the "science" TV channels still push this scenario very hard. A collision with a space rock a mile or more across would supposedly end all life on Earth, they say.

Sooner or later I figure they are going to play this card and tell the world that some object is on a collision course with Earth and scare the shit out of the population with it. Where they will take it from there, I don't know.
I'm not so sure about them playing the doomsday collision card, only because I don't see a clear long term motive. If space is to be the next phase of hoaxes at all to be pushed for any type of political agenda, then the only possible motive I can see is this being used for or an even bigger hoax concerning life in space, or the origin of life on earth.

Case in point - "MAINSTREAM" Are we all really aliens. Extraterrestrial microbes 26-9-12:
full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blTBVyljyCU

So here we have another prime example of the theory of evolution evolving from the ape theory into space, where we originated from microbes in falling rocks. The seeds are certainly being planted, although only time will tell if this recent meteor shower will have anything to do with it.

Related: William Coopers 1996 broadcast about NASA's supposed Mars rock
lux

Unread post by lux »

anon1911 wrote: The meteorite reportedly split up into smaller pieces. Afaik there was no 'main-impact' site.
Oh, I see. Moving horizontally at thousands of mph it split up into pieces and one of the pieces made a 90° turn and went straight down into a frozen lake and made a near perfect round hole.
I don't think that any pieces of whatever came down there were found by now. At least I haven't heard of anything like that.
Of course not. Our scientists are so good they don't need evidence to know what something is -- they can tell by simply looking at YouTube videos.
Unleashed

Unread post by Unleashed »

Can you guys take a look at this video?

The whole city looks, how can I put this? Fake.

Sort of too good to be true for a town that the Russians considered a
"classified" area.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MfFTZpldG4