Stanley Kubrick and the Apollo Hoax

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Re: Stanley Kubrick and the Apollo Hoax

Unread post by SacredCowSlayer »

Thank you for starting this topic. It’s a welcome break from the Corono(scam) that has managed to simulate a god-like omnipresence for the past 4–5 months (though it feels longer).

I wanted to point out a couple of small observations before I forget. One, with respect to Pokerniko’s comment about the “switch on the far left in the first picture . . . disappear[ing] in the second picture.” Correct me if I’m wrong, but, it looks to me like the actress’s head is directly covering where that switch would be.

That said, there are other inconsistencies, such as the lower portion of the window frame just beneath the “Office” sign.

Lastly (for now), it may be worth noting that the character Jack Torrance (from The Shining) shares the same first name as the one Stanley Kubrick’s father went by: according to his Wikipedia page, “[h]e [Stanley] was the first of two children of Jacob Leonard Kubrick (May 21, 1902 – October 19, 1985), known as Jack or Jacques . . .”
michiganj

Unread post by michiganj »

Pokerniko wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:37 am In the picture your posted about the clock changing its position, I also noticed that they added some kind of refrigerator just below it and that the switch on far left in the first picture (the one next to the door) disappear in the second picture.
Ah, the disappearing light switches. I'd almost forgot.

Earlier there was a continuity error when Hallorann is giving Wendy and Danny a tour of the kitchen.

They enter room C4...

...and later exit room C3.

As they walk down the hall you see the red lights above the doors.

They're either meant to represent photographic darkrooms or a closed studio set. Or both?

Oh well, since we're in the kitchen.
How doth the little crocodile
Improve his shining tail
And pour the waters of the Nile
On every golden scale!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Doth_ ... _Crocodile

Pokerniko

Unread post by Pokerniko »

SCS:

"it looks to me like the actress’s head is directly covering where that switch would be.”

I don't think so, the switch is higher and right next to the padlock

"That said, there are other inconsistencies, such as the lower portion of the window frame just beneath the “Office” sign."

I noticed that detail too but I think in the first picture the door is open while it is closed in the second one.
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Unread post by SacredCowSlayer »

Pokerniko wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:59 pm SCS:

"it looks to me like the actress’s head is directly covering where that switch would be.”

I don't think so, the switch is higher and right next to the padlock

"That said, there are other inconsistencies, such as the lower portion of the window frame just beneath the “Office” sign."

I noticed that detail too but I think in the first picture the door is open while it is closed in the second one.
Yes, you are correct. The switch should be just to right of the padlock. I was looking for the other set of switches over (and lower) on the right. Thanks for correcting my tunnel vision.

Also, it does look like the door being open/closed likely accounts for that window frame “inconsistency” that I pointed out.
michiganj

Why did Stanley change the topiary animals in Stephen King's novel to a hedge maze?

Wasn't that nice of dear Em and Pee to bring poor Alex a fruit basket.

Starting with Dr. Strangelove, in some form or another, there is a rabbit in every film.

Dr. Strangelove
Notice the words "bloody March Hare" are absent from the subtitles.

A Clockwork Orange
In Nadsat slang rabbit means work. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix ... ork_Orange

Barry Lyndon

The name of the inn where Barry had his leg amputated is THE WHITE HARE.

The Shining
This one's pretty simple, there's Bugs Bunny on Danny's shirt...

...and a stuffed Bugs Bunny in the Big Wheel.

On a side note: The black thing on the floor is a Golliwog doll.
Creedence Clearwater Revival, also referred to as Creedence and CCR, was an American rock band which recorded and performed from 1968 to 1972. The band initially consisted of lead vocalist, lead guitarist, and primary songwriter John Fogerty; his brother, rhythm guitarist Tom Fogerty; bassist Stu Cook; and drummer Doug Clifford. These members had played together since 1959, first as the Blue Velvets and later as the Golliwogs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creedence ... er_Revival

Chapter 22 from the novel.

Full Metal Jacket

Eyes Wide Shut
Bugs Bunny reciting The Night Before Christmas

This shot only happens once in the film.
You'll need to flip it 180° and zoom in. The book title that can barely be made out is John Updike - In The Beauty of the Lilies.

John Updike is best known for his Rabbit series of novels.

michiganj

The Lookout Mountain Studio was also referred to as the Home of the 1352d Photographic Squadron.

Once again Stanley named one of his production companies 'Hawk Films'.

For Vivian's documentary on The Shining it would be 'Eagle Films'.

The Eagle and the Hawk is a 1933 aerial war film about a photographic squadron.

The general public wasn't aware of the secret studio in Los Angeles until filmmaker Peter Kuran allegedly discovered it in the early 1990's.
He produced a few documentaries such as; Nukes In Space, Atomic Journeys: Welcome to Ground Zero, Atomic Filmmakers: Behind the Scenes and Nuclear Rescue 911: Broken Arrows and Incidents.

This is a clip from his first documentary Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie.
When I first saw it I remember busting out laughing. Just like with Apollo. If it can be simulated, it can be faked.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUGpXKwtoHU

The physical address for the studio is 8935 Wonderland Avenue. For years I searched for that number and finally found it in Eyes Wide Shut. I won't say where it is just yet. Maybe someone reading this might want to try a little sleuthing of their own and see if they can find it.

Kinda gives new meaning to the choice of music for the end of Dr. Strangelove when we hear Vera Lynn's We'll Meet Again.

This is Stanley's brother-in-law Jan Harlan at the grand opening of the Stanley Kubrick Exhibition in Paris.

I know it's over an hours flight from the UK to Paris and you probably brought something to read on the plane.
There's going to be a lot of pictures taken at this event. Why not leave the damn book at the hotel? :rolleyes:

michiganj

Compare the opening music to The Car 1977 starring James Brolin to the opening music in The Shining.

And what was James Brolin's very next film? https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000981/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_5

Of all the hotels across America that were photographed by Ray Walker and could be used as the model for the interior of the Overlook, Stanley chose the Ahwahnee Hotel which is located in Yosemite National Park.

I'm not sure if this was intended or not but, I had fun with it anyway. :P

The Ahwahnee HOTEL is located in Yosemite National Park in CALIFORNIA.

This music in The Shining is a song titled 'Home' by Henry Hall and his Gleneagles Hotel Band

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=infbptoN4sg

michiganj

Bill Kaysing interview by Bart Sibrel.

Nick Wrigley, with the help of Jan Harlan, put together a list of Stanley's favorite films. https://www2.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/si ... -cinephile

In this list is Krzysztof Kieslowski's Dekalog wth a quote from Harlan. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092337/?r ... flmg_wr_17
Harlan: “I believe the only foreword to a book he ever wrote was for the scripts of
Kieslowski’s Dekalog — and he did this with pleasure. A great masterpiece.”

This is the intro to The Dekalog.

Another film in the list is Closely Watched Trains. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060802/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

And White Men Can't Jump. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105812/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_6
michiganj

In A Clockwork Orange we see Mr. Alexander typing away on a red IBM Selectric I typewriter.

The same typewriter as favored by the journalist Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.

I can't believe I couldn't find a color photograph of Dr. Thompson but here is Johnny Depp portraying Dr. Thompson in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and it shows him using a red IBM Selectric I typewriter.

I know it's a crappy photo but it was all I could find.

After Alex attacks them and destroys the desk and typewriter...

...Mr. Alexander gets a new typewriter...

...which just happens to be the same color as Dr. Hunter Thompson's other IBM Selectric I typewriter.

This is from a 1980 Hunter ceiling fan catalog.

Notice what was used to create ceiling lights in the Overlook Hotel.

In this aerial shot, which is actually the Timberline Lodge in Oregon, you can see the helicopter blades at the top of the screen.

Zoom in on the visor in this photo of Pete Conrad from Apollo 12.

images/SKfiles/ceilingfan/AS12-48-7074HR.jpg

images/SKfiles/ceilingfan/AS12-48-7133HR.jpg

images/SKfiles/ceilingfan/AS12-48-7134HR.jpg

images/SKfiles/ceilingfan/AS12-49-7307HR.jpg

images/SKfiles/ceilingfan/AS12-49-7308HR.jpg

images/SKfiles/ceilingfan/AS12-49-7309HR.jpg

Forgot to add that this awning brace in Eyes Wide Shut looks similar to the bracket/arm of the Surveyor 3 probe in the Apollo 12 photos.

anonjedi2

Unread post by anonjedi2 »

Dear michiganj,

I did not catch anything in the 2 movie clips before White Men Can't Jump. Can you please provide some details?

Additionally, I'm having trouble making the connection between the typewriter and Hunter S. Thompson. What is the significance?

What is in the reflection of the astronaut's visor? I cannot see it.
michiganj

anonjedi2 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:06 am Dear michiganj,

I did not catch anything in the 2 movie clips before White Men Can't Jump. Can you please provide some details?
That's okay, it's really not all that important anyway.
anonjedi2 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:06 am Additionally, I'm having trouble making the connection between the typewriter and Hunter S. Thompson. What is the significance?

What is in the reflection of the astronaut's visor? I cannot see it.
It only refers to the name Hunter as in Hunter Ceiling Fans.

There's a ceiling fan airbrushed into the photo.

anonjedi2

Hmmmm... I don't see a ceiling fan definitively in the astronaut's visor. What makes you think that is a ceiling fan?

Also, that is Alan Bean in the photo. Pete Conrad took the photo, just FYI.

No. According to the official record that is Alan Bean taking Pete Conrad's photo. Alan Bean is the reflection in Pete's visor.
AS12-48-7071 (OF300) ( 106k or 669k )

133:15:32 Al's picture of Pete taking Al's picture. Pete is holding the extension handle in his left hand. Note that he has re-attached the scoop. His cuff checklist can be seen on his left wrist and is open to one of the pages on which the backup crew has pasted a picture of a Playboy Playmate. Pete's watch is on his sleeve between his pressure gauge and his elbow. The LM is in the background, over Pete's left shoulder. A labeled detail shows the upper straps holding the Surveyor Parts Bag on the back of Pete's PLSS. Compare with a relevant pre-flight photo.
source= https://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a12/images12.html#Mag48
Last edited by anonjedi2 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
anonjedi2

Also ... would you mind sharing where you found 8935 in Eyes Wide Shut?
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

michiganj wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:18 pm
anonjedi2 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:06 am Dear michiganj,

That's okay, it's really not all that important anyway.
I am very curious about this topic, but the "teaser style" in which you present your evidence, requiring readers to commit considerable time and effort to locate clues and connect dots you insinuate are there but are often less than clear or convincing, may be creative or "participatory" but is not really helping readers get a footing in the yarn. Add to this the long period over which the installments of your 10-year Kubrick/Apollo research are being posted: so far nearly 2 months, with the feeling that we are not even halfway through the opening statement.

Is there some way you can put us out of our misery?
anonjedi2

I'm personally okay with waiting in between posts. If michiganj has spent 10 years on this research, I'm perfectly happy to wait. But I do agree with the presentation. It's not always clear what's the clues are and everything is cryptic. In the case above where something wasn't clear and I asked, I got a response of "that's okay, it's not important anyway..." Well I would still like to know! If it's not important, then why are you posting it here?

I have really enjoyed your posts on this topic thus far, michiganj. But I want to understand all of this and you're not making it easy. :)