Fakery in Orbit: THE I$$

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
simonshack
Administrator

Re: Fakery in Orbit: THE ISS

Unread post by simonshack »

lux wrote:I'd sure like to know what lighting setup the photographer used in those (probably faked) group photos above. It's extremely difficult to light a group like that with virtually no shadows. Unless they are all vampires, of course.

It looks to me like the photographer simply shot an empty room and then pasted in the people one by one.
Indeed, Lux.

I submit that our common efforts have now determined that this is probably the case.

Did I say "probably"? Hmm, wait a minute... Allow me to state that we have now proved that these "NASA STAFF group photographs" are fake - beyond any shadow of doubt. This other question, of course, remains: why does NASA feel the need to fake/composite/digitally manipulate the imagery of their own (alleged) employees? Should we perhaps ask NASA this question?
lux

Unread post by lux »

My guess is to create the illusion that many more people are involved in these projects then there actually are.

This then creates the idea that "all those people can't possibly all be in on it" that the brainwashed masses love to cite as a reason that NASA couldn't possibly be involved in hoaxes.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

:o :blink: :rolleyes:

It's late, worms flail me!
Farcevalue

Unread post by Farcevalue »

Some staff photos from Google for comparison. Heaven knows you don't want to take any chances when you are searching for new tires or movie show times. But, space? aah, whatever...

lux

Unread post by lux »

I don't want to go off on a tangent here but that bicycle pic has some serious shadow issues.
simonshack
Administrator

lux wrote:My guess is to create the illusion that many more people are involved in these projects then there actually are.

This then creates the idea that "all those people can't possibly all be in on it" that the brainwashed masses love to cite as a reason that NASA couldn't possibly be involved in hoaxes.
Yes, Lux - although it appears that these staff "group portraits" include a few real persons (i.e. flesh-and-blood NASA actors) such as, for instance, that merry asstronot/entertainer Mike Massimino who appears in many of those ever-informative, educational NASA videos. Here's Mike removing the lid off of another momentous mystery of space travel:

"how do you take a crap in space"? :huh:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1wwzwvfsC0

In other words - and unsurprisingly you might say - it seems that the NASA's staff imagery mixes a few real (existing) individuals with a bunch of computer-created (non-existing) virtual individuals. Of course, blurring the line between fiction and reality is the name of the 'game'...
lux

Unread post by lux »

Seems like the people they create and/or choose to represent NASA all seem to have this sort of folksy, wholesome quality about them. Very unthreatening. The kind of salt-of-the-Earth people you'd expect to see at a church picnic or small town barn dance. The exact opposite of NASA's Nazi heritage and scamming ways.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

I'm not at all impressed by the Poogle staff images. Exif stripped and this. The other image fares no better. But like lux says, lets keep it on topic!

Farcevalue

Unread post by Farcevalue »

Well, I guess this just proves that central casting is trying to project less of a "specially-abled" image than NASA.
I still don't know how to interpret that ELA data, though. Found the tutorial less than definitively conclusive. Pretty much everything I ran through Fotoforensics, even landscapes, came back with contrast differentials.
Any hints would be appreciated.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Farcevalue wrote:Well, I guess this just proves that central casting is trying to project less of a "specially-abled" image than NASA.
I still don't know how to interpret that ELA data, though. Found the tutorial less than definitively conclusive. Pretty much everything I ran through Fotoforensics, even landscapes, came back with contrast differentials.
Any hints would be appreciated.
Please do not derail the topic with your "less than understanding" of ELA, it's discussed sufficiently elsewhere on the board!

Do you need ELA to see this?

simonshack
Administrator

Dear Brian - and all esteemed forum members,

Let us not argue about ELA, please. For what it's worth, I personally have spent a little time (not enough, admittedly) trying to get the hang of it and, at this time, do not find it a sufficienty 'conclusive' tool to determine photo fakery.
brianv wrote: Do you need ELA to see this?
Well no - precisely, Brian ! I certainly prefer such forensic evidence! :)
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

No argument intended, simply trying to keep the topic on track!
simonshack
Administrator

Isn't our planet wonderful? And who said NASA (a Hollywood dept.) was incapable of capturing any stars on film? <_<
Here are a couple of alleged timelapse images, purportedly shot from the ISS by asstronot Don Pettit:

source: http://www.space.com/15048-astronaut-ph ... ation.html
Frost

Unread post by Frost »

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eldlKDso9o

I haven't found anything about Space Elevator on CF. Well... Science Fiction movies like Star Wars have some rules. I mean: some things are possible- some not. NASA seems not to have any rules.
lux

Unread post by lux »

^ The old Indian Rope Trick comes to mind. :P