Fakery in Orbit: THE I$$

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
Evil Edna
Banned

Re: Fakery in Orbit: THE I$$

Unread post by Evil Edna »

lux wrote:Thank you for posting your views, EE.
Likewise. But that's all that any of us have to offer: views and opinions. There's almost nothing corroborative to work with here. No useful data from the past, nothing reliable to correlate against. Not even from the immediate era before NA$A hijacked the science. By 1947, the notion of "artificial satellites" was already seeded in the public psyche. And for centuries before that, astronomy was riddled with wild speculation, piss-poor science, and far-fetched claims, mostly issued for financial gain.

The idea that comets brought disease, and asteroids were volcanic spewings from far-off planets, were just two popular and very wacky ideas. Yet accepted as fact well into the 20th century.

But perhaps the most important perversion of astronomy - for our interest - was the Victorians' crude beliefs about "shooting stars", "falling stars", asteroids, meteors and "meteorites". Their obsession was not with the "moving star" itself, but with the celestial rocks, some "rich in precious metals", encrusted even with diamonds, which supposedly fell like gifts from heaven, with the star's passing.

The 19th century press gave regular reports of professional "meteorite hunters" who made a keen living following the paths of these "shooting stars", in search of these heavenly rocks. No mean feat! What a lost skill! Their (fake) trophies displayed in prestigious scientific exhibitions, and sold at great profit to gullible museums and private collectors of Victorian curiosities (just like "dinosaur bones").

The Royal Astronomer of Ireland, Sir Robert Ball, wrote two popular astronomical works of the 1890s, The Story of the Heavens and Star-Land. In the latter is a dedicated chapter titled Shooting Stars where he doesn't even challenge these extraordinary "meteorite" finds - they're just accepted as fact! So where are the Meteorite Hunters of today? Was it only a Victorian pursuit? Why did this lucrative business die out when there are so many more modern techniques for tracking heavenly bodies? Could "meteorites" be yet another hoax?

My main point here is that even by the turn of the 19/20th century - just 40 or so years before NA$A & Co seized the stage - that was already the state of astronomy - dire. There was not even the taste, at least not publicly, for the study of the paths or orbits of asteroids or meteors, or shooting stars. It's doubtful that even the "best" of the Victorian astronomers, like Bell, had any recognition that some of those moving objects are in earth orbit.

Those two aforementioned books by Bell were hugely popular, especially with juveniles. Favourite stocking-fillers of their day. NA$A and its fake satellites hadn't even been dreamed of. So there was no motive, back then, for hiding the orbital nature of certain asteroids/meteors. And yet Bell doesn't even hint at such a thing. Which says to me, the idea of orbiting natural satellites hadn't even been considered. See for yourself:

http://archive.org/details/storyofheavens00ball
http://archive.org/details/starlandbeingta02ballgoog

Between the end of the Victorian era and the arrival of NA$A et al in 1940s, we had two world wars. Many discoveries - not just in astronomy - were concealed behind the veil of "national security". No doubt it's where that wisdom stayed - hidden from there onwards. By the early Fifties, the existence of Flying Saucers was widely believed, and then in 1957, the Soviets gave us the fake launch of Sputnik. By then, astronomy was officially no longer a public science. It was now way beyond the comprehension of the common man.

Simon posited the Plane Theory and set out his reasoning in depth. It would be interesting to learn why he now distances himself from his earlier (tentative?) support for the NEO Switch Theory. That Theory seems to serve so well to explain not just the ISS Thingy, but every other orbiting object that is supposedly a man-made satellite or bit of space junk.
Last edited by Evil Edna on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
icarusinbound

Unread post by icarusinbound »

This appears to be interesting and relevant (unless it's backstory cover, but it seems honestly put, as an exposition)
full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaQG-7rgG9Q
This week our question comes
from our G+ Community, from
Ben Trendkilla who asked ''How
big would the space station have
to be to be able to see it with the
naked eye and make out its
shape during the day?''
Before we get ahead of ourselves,
yes we know some of you give a
#ISSwave to the station when you
see sunlight reflected off it at
night. But Ben's hypothetical
question requires a little more
thought, and a hefty bit of
calculation to answer. Specifically,
Martin has used the formula for
angular diameter. We do need to
think about the human variables
first however...
00:54 How do we see with our
eyes and then how does that get
put together into a picture by our
brain? Our eyes are busy at work
essentially auto-stitching together
loads of images to create a
panorama of about 160 by 175
degrees.
01:47 In order to assess how "big"
something is we need to consider
perspective. The mathematical
expression Martin is using to
calculate the size of the ISS is the
following:
02:47 How good is human
eyesight? What's the smallest that
we can see? Well scientists have
been arguing about an average
value for this for years.
More discussion on that here:
http://books.google.co.uk/b...
However, the maximum
resolution of human eyesight is
generally thought to be 0.3 arc
minutes or 0.005 degrees.
03:57 Time to crunch the
numbers then! Inserting the
closest altitude that the ISS sits at
with the smallest angle we can
see tells us that the ISS needs to
be at least 367m long for us to
see it with the naked eye. That's 5
times bigger than it is now! But
you're still only going to be able
to see one pixel worth -- it would
be a dot!
To see at least 5 pixels in width of
the ISS, it would need to be 25
times its current size! That would
just be, quite frankly, ridiculous!
05:46 Using the formula we can
also ask how far away would the
ISS have to be at its current size
for us to see it? It would have to
be at an altitude of 11.9km... the
same height as most planes fly at
so you couldn't really call it the
International SPACE station.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Oh, brother.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/11/e ... e-station/

The title of this article is Extra-terrestrial ‘tweet-up’ links Tokyo with the International Space Station

Never passing an opportunity to distribute the latest bizarre montage, this story has all the weird elements of the superclass collaborating on another goofy tall tale.
“It’s an honour to be able to speak with you,” Kennedy, the only surviving daughter of assassinated US president John F. Kennedy said.

“Congratulations Commander Wakata on being the first Japanese commander of the space station and I am glad that we follow each other on Twitter,” Kennedy said.
:wacko:

The article finishes with this funny little mock afterthought, which is their perfect excuse for the gullible American audiences no longer having full coverage of how the I$$ is continually "supplied".
NASA has been wholly reliant on Russia for delivering astronauts to the space station since the US retired its space shuttles in 2011.
lux

Unread post by lux »

lux wrote:
And, unlike my example above that shows the ISS as a dark silhouette against the sunlit moon, this one is bright ... even when it enters the part of the moon that is in the Earth's shadow. How could this object be illuminated by the sun when the part of the moon behind it is in shadow?

Am I wrong about this? If so, someone please explain.
Correction: I erred when I wrote above "...when it enters the part of the moon that is in the Earth's shadow."

The part of the moon in shadow in that photo is not "in Earth's shadow" but is in shadow simply because the Moon is illuminated from the right by the Sun. So, the fact that the object (whatever it is) is illuminated while it is positioned over the dark part of the moon is not necessarily an anomaly.
scud

Unread post by scud »

Italian astronaut Luca Parmitano and two fellow ISS crew members prepare to say their goodbyes from a six month stint floating around Earth doing er...doing er,..what exactly I’m not too sure.

“Eezz a time to a return to Eartha.”

“Bye Luca...hey, here’s an idea. Why not for once get changed into your space suits out here instead of that poxy little cement mixer thing, there’s far more room...we won’t tell, honest.”

Slyly, Luca glances sideways at his female companion for the journey home then narrows his eyes at commander Hadfield.

“Ease a very kinda Chris. But I been a looking forward to this as much as I look a forward to pinta Peroni birra.”

“He he...you filthy old rogue.”

Oh yeah, make no mistake that this is apparently normal procedure if you want to exchange the thing in the sky for the Kazakhstani desert...

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWtS7Y95ys

And here’s what constitutes your average, common or garden space suit and how you’re supposed to get into it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsdoJy8rzZg

Well anyway, Luca and his two cohorts get their wish and are busy changing inside the cement mixer / Soyuz capsule.

“Mama fuckin’ Miiia!!!...getaya toe outta ma...”

“Whose trousers are these?”

“Mine. No sorry I think they’re yours.”

....8 hours later, success!! (ok, not the same crew, but you get the picture).

and ‘wham’...touchdown!

Now, not withstanding the ridiculousness of three adults supposedly peeling off all togs, putting on a nappy, then suiting up into what has to be the most awkward attire on Earth :rolleyes: ...all at the same time, in just 2.5 cubic meters of volume- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_(spacecraft) let’s just give a moments thought as to why they might need to wear ‘space suits’ not only for the descent but also ascent in the first place.

Are we agreed that the ‘capsule’ that Hadfield and co ‘float into' is pressurised to the exact same ambient (supposedly equivalent to sea level) as the ‘ISS‘ itself? Yes, course it is, otherwise there’d be be an intermediary airlock and none is evident.
So we must assume that the capsule is at least initially pressurized to around 14.5 psi meaning that pressure isn’t the problem less for reasons unknown it purges air on decent...nope, no sense in that whatsoever, besides, there are far easier methods of feeding the occupants life sustaining gas.

Space / Sun radiation? Well no, seeing as they’ve already spent six months at maximum altitude in an aluminum box (melting point 660.3 C...thermosphere said to be up to 2,500 C) floating about in nothing but dorky looking pants, polo shirts, floaty necklaces and most importantly, big, chunky, loosely worn watches (that look all spacey when they move their arms about).

Heat of ‘re-entry’? Nah...gets a bit toasty inside, I’d have thought the last thing you’d want to be donning is a ‘space suit’ not withstanding that they put on the exact same apparel going up. “Well, what about that fancy arsed water cooled vest thingy they wear under it?” I hear you ask. Hmm...your average adult takes up around 90 liters of volume, times 3, plus the bulk of those suits and really, not a lot left for effective heat exchange is there? Moreover, how exactly is the water supposed to be cooled in the first place? (talking all ‘space suit’ situations here). The normal refrigeration process of compressed gas being negated by the supposed vacuum of ‘space’ (still needs a medium...usually ambient air, for it to function).

‘G’ suit/ protection from the hellish ‘G’ forces on the way down? Nope, a ‘G’ suit constricts blood flow to the lower extremities to prevent blackout, to the best of my knowledge, nowhere is it mentioned that a ‘space suit’ has this capability.

Conclusion? Just another daft prop to reinforce this whole space travel load of old bolloxos. Yep, returning from ‘space’ or going up to ‘space’ one requires a ‘space suit’...obviously.

Trivia:

On 30th June 1971, all three occupants of Soyuz 11 (just had to be didn’t it?) died when their capsule depressurized ‘during preparations for re-entry’... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_11
Well, given this do you not think that it might be a wise precaution (as well as being a tad more practical) to get the suits on before clambering into the capsule so that others can effectively check that they are indeed fully ‘airtight’? In fact, I might write to NASA informing them of the error of their ways...something must be done!

BREAKING NEWS!!

New EU sanctions target separatists and their Russian military sponsors as Moscow threatens American astronauts on ISS

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... spies.html

“Mr Rogozin said that fresh US sanctions against Moscow could compromise US astronauts on the International Space Station (ISS).
"If their aim is to deliver a blow to Russia's rocket-building sector, then by default, they would be exposing their astronauts on the ISS," the Interfax news agency quoted Mr Rogozin as saying in Crimea.”
lux

Unread post by lux »

In other news ...

On April 23rd the ISS astro-nots did a spacewalk for repairs, it says here.

Quite a feat of bravery since they were doing it during the meteor shower known as the Eta Aquarids which began on April 19th and continue until May 28th.

Thank goodness no one was hurt. :rolleyes:
allancw
Banned

Unread post by allancw »

Have you guys seen this:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjXvV0JBE0k

Hysterical...
allancw
Banned

Unread post by allancw »

It seems like we've stalled here so I will take the opportunity to ask a question, in the form of a thought experiment:

You have a thermometer in your hand and you're standing in sunlight on the earth. An old mercury type thermometer, except it has a very generous range. Long sucker. You start rising straight up. As you go, it gets cooler (I've heard)... as you hit, say, 30,000 feet, it's really cold, like 30 below (F). Up up you go. At 50,000 feet it's like 80 below... now remember, you've been in sunlight the whole time and you continue to be... as you rise...

They say at orbital altitude, say, 120 miles (over 600,000 feet), it's supposed to be like plus 250 degrees (F). Just where and how did it go from getting colder to getting hotter? (I realize that in theory there is no temperature in a vacuum, since temperature, by definition, involves the movement of molecules (or is it atoms), of which there are none in a true vacuum -- but I don't think this affects my question, since we are basing the experiment on a thermometer, which has plenty of molecules.)

I don't know if there is chicanery based on this. I just don't understand what's going on.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

allancw wrote: They say at orbital altitude, say, 120 miles (over 600,000 feet), it's supposed to be like plus 250 degrees (F). Just where and how did it go from getting colder to getting hotter? (I realize that in theory there is no temperature in a vacuum, since temperature, by definition, involves the movement of molecules (or is it atoms), of which there are none in a true vacuum -- but I don't think this affects my question, since we are basing the experiment on a thermometer, which has plenty of molecules.)

I don't know if there is chicanery based on this. I just don't understand what's going on.
Allan,

I also wonder about the temperatures up there - here's the approx altitude at which the ISS is supposed to hurtle about :

"The ISS maintains an orbit with an altitude of between 330 km (205 mi) and 435 km (270 mi)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... ce_station

What does (mainstream) science say about the temperatures up there? Well, Wiki, for instance, has this to say about the THERMOSPHERE (between 80 to 700 km) :
THERMOSPHERE:
(...)"This atmospheric layer undergoes a gradual increase in temperature with height. Unlike the stratosphere, wherein a temperature inversion is due to the absorption of radiation by ozone, the inversion in the thermosphere occurs due to the extremely low density of its molecules. The temperature of this layer can rise as high as 1,500 °C (2,700 °F), though the gas molecules are so far apart that its temperature in the usual sense is not very meaningful."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth
"...its temperature in the usual sense is not very meaningful." ?

What does that mean? Does it mean that we actually have the technical means to measure the 'molecular temperatures' up in the THERMOSPHERE, but that - if we could put our finger up there (flesh, bone, molecules and all) - we wouldn't feel the heat? And does this mean that the ISS orbits day after day, at 28.000km/h - (and yes, speed - hypersonic speed in this case - notoriously raises the temperature of any object) in a "1500°C+ oven" (far more than you'd need to overcook a pizza Napoli) yet is not affected by the heat ? What am I missing here? Any rocket-scientists in the room?

MELTING POINT of Titanium: 1668°C
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium
lux

Unread post by lux »

What NASA is saying is that the hot air molecules are so far apart that it wouldn't have much effect on an object in that area. But this really doesn't make sense because whatever is heating those air molecules would also heat up any other object in that zone such as a space station or satellite.
allancw
Banned

Unread post by allancw »

whatever is heating those air molecules would also heat up any other object in that zone such as a space station or satellite.
It might be better (clearer) if we stuck to the parameters of the thought experiment and just dealt with what a mercury thermometer would say the temperature is. We then avoid the mumbo jumbo about how many gas molecules might be around, etc. The photons from the sun should be heating up the thermometer (according to MS science) to high temperatures while down below (at the cruising altitude of commercial jets, say) it's freezing cold. Again, where and how does it go from a falling temperature to a rising temperature? Am I not explaining this question correctly?
allancw
Banned

Unread post by allancw »

lux is correct: I would just insert 'thermometer' where he has 'satellite or space station.'
anonjedi2

Unread post by anonjedi2 »

NASA claims that they now have HD video cameras on the ISS, streaming live, 24 hours a day. The feed was down when I tried. Shocker.

http://www.iflscience.com/space/eyes-ea ... experiment
tak47

Unread post by tak47 »

anonjedi2 wrote:NASA claims that they now have HD video cameras on the ISS, streaming live, 24 hours a day. The feed was down when I tried. Shocker.

tried it several times, always down. but hey, at least there's a webiste claiming it. great marketing NASA. :lol:
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

tak47 wrote:
anonjedi2 wrote:NASA claims that they now have HD video cameras on the ISS, streaming live, 24 hours a day. The feed was down when I tried. Shocker.

tried it several times, always down. but hey, at least there's a webiste claiming it. great marketing NASA. :lol:
Complete with numbskull comment section. "My DL is bigger than your DL bro'".