Fakery in Orbit: THE I$$

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
lux

Re: Fakery in Orbit: THE ISS

Unread post by lux »

AnonymousTruther2 wrote:It's been a while I wrote something.
This is from The Big Bang Theory, it was interesting to see, I hope we'll get a "Behind the scenes".

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Z5CzAb-Qg
The "ISS" scenes are interesting. Not much different from the NASA ISS videos. In fact, not different at all.

I take back what I said about the ISS videos being shot on an RPM. :)

BTW, is that crappy sit com supposed to be funny?
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

lux wrote: The "ISS" scenes are interesting. Not much different from the NASA ISS videos. In fact, not different at all.
I think we can call it a day, yes? If you meet people telling you that "it is impossible to animate people floating in the air in a realistic manner" - just show them this Howard Wolowitz character seen 'floating around the ISS' in this unfunny sitcom.

We should all be warmly grateful towards the producers of this silly sitcom for saving us time and money in order to demonstrate conclusively that the ISS imagery is nothing but Hollywood special effects. Not that this should be BIG NEWS to anyone, but it seems there are many boneheads out there STILL maintaining that such imagery is impossible to fake - and thus, that NASA's ludicrous International Space Station imagery MUST be true, authentic and legit. :rolleyes:

May I say "GAME OVER"?
lux

Unread post by lux »

Chuck Lorre, creator of the above show, also attended the VIP event at JPL during the Mars Curiosity "Landing" along with NASA chief Charles Bolden and a number of Hollywood celebs:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/05/tech/mars ... index.html
simonshack
Administrator

lux wrote:Chuck Lorre, creator of the above show, also attended the VIP event at JPL during the Mars Curiosity "Landing" along with NASA chief Charles Bolden and a number of Hollywood celebs:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/05/tech/mars ... index.html
What surprise! <_<

Chuck Lorre (born Charles Michael Levine)

I would like to send Chuck a symbolic $1 donation on behalf of Cluesforum - for providing us conclusive proof that Hollywood can easily simulate seemingly weightless actors floating around - without having to send them up in space...

Does anyone know where I can find a Chuck Lorre donation button? ^_^

ps: Oh, and warm thanks to our member AnonymousTruther2 who posted that sitcom clip with the Wolowitz clown!
lux

Unread post by lux »

Yes, thanks Chuck! Your show has been an enormous help to us. :wub:

And, I'm sure your friends at NASA will be very appreciative of your contribution as well. :P
simonshack
Administrator

"Tis just like the REAL THING!" :P :rolleyes:

SciGuy - A science blog with Eric Berger Image

"And here’s the good news: According to [NASA asstronot] Massimino, the show does a really, really good job of portraying space and NASA’s activities accurately.

“They really care about the details,” Massimino said. “The accuracy of the spacecraft, and the mock-up of the space station set, they have exactly the same dimensions as the real thing. The lighting and sound are exactly like the real ones.”
http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2012/10/is ... hese-days/
Silly clowns. Of course they're exactly like the real ones. They're the same movie studios!...

...only difference is that the producers in charge of manufacturing the purportedly "real ISS imagery" are waayyy overdoing it:
ImageImage

Image______Image

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
lux

Unread post by lux »

I like this quote from Massimino from the same article:
"So what we have is a television show watched by millions of Americans educating them about what NASA’s actually doing in space."
We sure do! :lol:
simonshack
Administrator

B) Microgravity explained...

"The Big Bang Theory" ISS Set
Actor Simon Helberg, portraying Howard Wolowitz on CBS's "The Big Bang Theory," is seen "floating" on the space station.
CREDIT: CBS

Wireless weightlessness

With only 20 feet or so (6 meters) of space station set to work with, Shaffner got together with the directors, visual effects supervisors and cinematographers to use unique camera angles and creative framing to create more 'space' than there really was.

They also added a section to the rented module to allow other actors — the other station crew members — to enter and exit, giving viewers a sense that a sprawling outpost continued beyond the lab.

"We really examined ways we could reimagine the spaces we added," Shaffner said.

Part of that was made possible by the way they achieved the appearance of weightlessness. Rather than raise the roof and suspend the actors by wires, the solution came from below.

"It was done by supporting the people from underneath," Shaffner revealed. "There was a very long, sort of skinny platform that a person could lie on and it would almost look like they were swimming through in weightlessness."

The actors also deserve some credit, said Shaffner, for mastering the motions of microgravity. "They studied and really did a remarkable job with acting the weightlessness," he said.

Attention to accuracy

Having a real astronaut on the set offered a chance for some immediate feedback. Massimino reprises his role on the show for this and next week's episodes. "His response was immediate and really positive," Shaffner said of Massimino's impression of the spacecraft. "He was so blown away by [the set]. He said, 'Wow, you guys really did an amazing job! This really feels like it. This is really how big it is, it is not very big.'"

"He was very, very appreciative and I think in the end that made everyone involved feel extra good about it," said Shaffner. "We had all pulled together to make this real for him and he got a really big kick out of it."

Beyond wanting to please Massimino, the attention to accuracy was rooted in the show's long commitment to serving the storyline by being honest and truthful with its visuals.

"We are all very committed to making sure that we don't want ever the set or the visual environment to not make you believe the story, to take your interest and your mind out of what the characters are living through and start questioning authenticity," Shaffner said.

"So we work very hard on creating our authenticity, and it is a theatrical authenticity to some extent. But by really looking and researching and trying to make it honest and authentic, we believe it helps the storytelling," he said.

http://www.space.com/17891-big-bang-the ... esign.html
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

I think 50% of the ISS footage is done inside airplanes in parabolic flights close to Earth as described at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduced_gravity_aircraft and similar web pages.
The other 50% of the ISS footage is done in NASA swimming pools on Earth, where a leaking helmet produces air bubbles floating up, etc.
Then the footage is just cut/pasted together to impress.
Just because one or more clowns are shown floating around on some ISS footage, doesn’t mean he/she/they are up in space high above Earth.
Because they will never get back down on Earth without being burnt to hell. :P
simonshack
Administrator

RE-ENTRY ALERT***RE-ENTRY ALERT***RE-ENTRY ALERT***RE-ENTRY ALERT***

HEIWA !!!

They are planning to land this thing back on Earth !
:blink: :o :wacko: :lol:

Listen to this asstronot explaining how they pack their stuff in the ISS ( between 1: 51 and 2:38 ) - as he enters the "MPLM" module !!!
"The reason we call this "DOWN" is because when we land, it's gonna be THIS side that faces Earth. So when we think about how we pack things (especially water) we pack it so it will be lying on something flat when we come back...and we don't pack it on something sharp, so that when we come back into the atmosphere - and we get back into the gravitational field - it falls on something sharp...and pops!"
:o Is this asstronot commenting here for real? Is he just ...uh... misinformed? :rolleyes:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBwdZ1yloHA

NOTE: This video (as stated in the video description) was shot during "the last Space Shuttle voyage in July 2011".
Now, here's the problem: the Italian "Leonardo MPLM" module became a permanent part of the ISS in March 2011 :
"The Leonardo module was modified in 2010 to turn it into the Permanent Multipurpose Module (PMM) and was PERMANENTLY ATTACHED to the ISS during the STS-133 mission in March 2011."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Purp ... ics_Module

Edit : oh well, apparently the last Space Shuttle carried (in July 2011) yet another MPLM called "Raffaello" to the ISS... So I guess they docked it to some spare port of the ISS. Woah - considering that the decision to make Leonardo a PERMANENT PART of the ISS was only taken in 2009 , I wonder how they built / added this formerly-unplanned extra port up there!

Whatever folks... In any case, I have a hard time comprehending what good this shambles of a "Space Station" is supposed to do for humanity.
simonshack
Administrator

brianv

Unread post by brianv »

If the first two had a daughter she might look something like this! They look like the SE Asia team! :lol:
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

"Courtney McMillan" has an air of Gabby Giffords about her...
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Flabbergasted wrote:"Courtney McMillan" has an air of Gabby Giffords about her...
Indeed she does look a bit like Giffy Gabbord! Sim shit different day!
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

It looks as though they took a single "flag" image and just moved it around with selection tool, touched up the stripes, and added the blur effect to get the appearance of varied focus and angle, without thinking too hard about it really.

This is odd, since it's not normal to blur out the American flag if an American flag is present at all during these shoots. The more believable idea is to emphasize the patriotism, not merely emphasize the fact that someone is there. But I suppose if the flag image was too pixel-perfect in every shot, it would reveal the fakeness of the situation.

Last edited by hoi.polloi on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: on closer examination, they actually touched up the stripes as well!