Parenting In the Simulation Age

Questions, speculations & updates on the techniques and nature of media fakery

Re: Parenting In the Simulation Age

Postby bongostaple on November 3rd, 2016, 9:16 pm

Whether what they showed on TV for the Challenger explosion was real or fake, I watched it 'live', and recorded it (they showed it a lot of times) and then fired up my synthesizer, drum machine, and 4-track tape recorder and made an electro sort of track with the ground control to shuttle conversations. Not long after, Keith Leblanc released a solo album on which he had done a track exactly in the vein of my effort. Must have telepathically nicked my idea.

Anyway, back on topic - I remember at the time the blue sky somehow turning black when a long zoom of the shuttle was shown. wasn't really convincingly believable, even in 1986.
bongostaple

Postby aa5 on November 4th, 2016, 8:11 am

Probably every kid since the dawn of civilization has lived in his own Simulation Age. Look at when WWI broke out, how millions of men ran down to the military volunteering sites to kill those evil Germans, who were doing all those awful things like bayoneting Belgian babies.

How many questioned if they weren't just hearing one side of the story, and at least wanted to hear the other side of the story before risking his own life, and it should be added being willing to kill young German men.

For men with strong enough natural intellects, who have an innate passion to pursue truth and a willingness to question anything or anyone including authority, I believe these men will as they mature in wisdom, be able to see through the mythologies of their own society.
aa5

Postby Alicekinnian on June 26th, 2018, 1:38 am

At the risk of being advised that this is not a place to reach out for problems that require professional therapy (please be a little sympathetic, can you imagine how anyone on this forum would do in such a setting - I trust the majority of us would come out with a stack of prescriptions - but I digress?), I thought I would add my experiences to the pile which could easily be summarized in the simple statement that: homeschooling your child as a skeptic is hard. I guess if you are a skeptic that has a high degree of certainty in one form of truth or another then perhaps that lends itself to some consistent teaching, but if you are the type of person who constantly re-thinks issues not sure if you have definitively come to the "ultimate conclusion" - this rehashing does not make for some very confident parenting (in my experience, in my family). Add to this the compounding issue of one spouse thinking mainstream with the other one questioning everything and you get a child who constantly has to make a decision about veracity from two perhaps too-diametrically opposed perspectives.

Stuff's hard. Our kids are thankfully too young for most world events, which they only absorb when one of us has a nervous breakdown over something we soaked up inadvertently and that festers till it comes to the surface. Usually we disagree on the veracity of reported events, so, these rare instances are slightly more confusing, but thankfully rarely happen in front of the kids. But then there's actually a matter of what to teach them in terms of skills they will need to function and obtain a salary in the world.

Math is pretty easy. It's entirely a stand alone subject with it's own rules, from what I can tell a 100% abstraction imposed on the real world, and as such functions as it's own, un-besmirched logic game - a sort of impersonal language. Not to say it's easy to get someone to conform to practicing and expanding their knowledge of it, but, it brings up no cause for debate. Everything else? Not so easy.

Consider physics. I realized while reading a child's book on forces to my son, I could basically neither prove or disprove just about every assertion made in the book about gravity, friction, or forces in general. Everything in the book was just kind of stated as some kind of observable fact, but, it's clearly a theory imposed to explain observed phenomena, and I tried to pair this with explanations of density and buoyancy as well, and with statements of "this is what is commonly accepted as being true" but, I was unable to give anything concrete in terms of what is ABSOLUTELY true, besides "things appear to fall if lifted into the air; sometimes they appear to bounce; sometimes they go further on slick surfaces." It was hard to continue on with the book and these thoughts because all the while I'm thinking "hey, is this really the truth, or was I just taught to unquestioningly accept that when I push on something there's a force pushing back?" Thankfully my son chimed in "oh yeah, I can totally feel that!" so I guess that was encouraging.

We don't even do universal models anymore. I will, at some point, present him with every possible model with its supposed logical tenents, and he can decide for himself which makes most logical sense to him. Ultimately belief in a planetary system should not make one iota of difference in his future employability so, I'm not particularly concerned with teaching him anything out of a textbook on this note. I would, however, like to track the stars and moon across the sky and from this derive some kind of data keeping activity / measurement / direct observation / recording skills. I feel like this could be useful.

History, sadly, is something we don't even discuss. I feel so strongly that I cannot be certain of anything that I haven't directly seen or experienced, that attempts at teaching history - which by the way is marred with horrific stories of bloodshed - kind of exactly what you'd expect to be told about humanity by a terror regime - that, I just entirely avoid it all together. I am thinking of incorporating though, some history about the invention of certain "innovations" (cotton gin, steam engine) and somehow whitewashing all the people out of it. My father once said "history is written by the winners" - and, what interest is it to me to blather on about the atrocities of the past? History is (to me) uniformly depressing. I can't even stomach the Story of the World series. Since my mental health as to be preserved at all costs, I assume the poor child will have to learn the entirety of his history from our brief Classical Conversations sessions (done more for socialization and to teach him how to sit for 3 hours with others). I'm sure he might have questions - or be historically illiterate as a consequence - but how would this be different than the vast majority of Americans anyway? I would gladly teach him an alternate "real" version of history, except that I don't trust in my own ability to discern truth that has not happened in my lifespan. I suppose I am hypocritical on this because I put all my faith in the story of Christ, so, I can't even be said to be an unhypocritical skeptic - but there are some things I cannot question because otherwise whatever's left of my sanity would implode with them, and by sanity, I mean hope.

We can't use much recreational TV shows, because of the content. Since I do regard us as somewhat fundamental Christians - even though - by this I don't mean the same thing as perhaps the type of fundamentalism found in Baptist churches - but what I hope is the closest semblance I can manage to the original churches? - anyway, because of this and because of the admonishment to "keep yourselves from sorcery" - basically everything on NetFlix is out. Sometimes I cave and let them have TreeHouse Detectives and Puffin Rock, hating myself all the way. TV seems to be a one giant pacifier. However, YouTube does have some good math and science videos (not the highly animated, annoying ones, but people showing slow motion double digit addition, science experiments, things like that).

When you homeschool, you are going to suck at some subjects. I am not particularly good at music. I am even worse at teaching music. My kids therefore spend a lot of time idiotically attempting to strum on the Melody Harp, attaining no greater knowledge and creating infernal noise in the process. They absolutely refuse to learn about octaves or any other such constructs. But one has to compare this to what is probably going on in public schools - where one can see children memorizing mainstream pop song lyrics, that sometimes tend to be sexualized along with lacking any kind of educational rhythm or content.

Sometimes I despair considering how much there is to teach to render a "competitive" worker, and sometimes I snap under this pressure of basically trying to replace what should be a fleet of teachers. But in those moments I just remember about how unlikely to succeed the majority of students in public school are with everything stacked against them from vaccinations to toxic overload in food to crippled families, impoverished, sometimes illiterate and poorly motivated teachers - could I really fail worse than this doomed system? Maybe that sounds like a sadistic thought, but I need it to keep me going because of the monumental nature of the task, and the daily crushing feeling of "failing" and the associated anxiety.

I'd like to "unschool" - and by that I mean impose no educational standards on my children and let them be "free". However, I feel like that would be less loving in the end as, what if this current crushing system exists when they aspire to part-take in society on some level for the purposes of obtaining food. We do not have land so as to grow our own food, nor are we particularly fantastic farmers. Therefore, our kids will be dependent for food from the system, and for this they will need employment I am thinking - unless that model is rapidly replaced in 10 years or worse. So even if I give them freedom it's not really a loving thing to do because then their enslavement will be all the worse with limited prospects. This is not to say that I'm switching over to a public-school-politicized-curriculum, only that I am aware that whether I like it or not, I have to push them into what may be unnatural for a child to want to do - math, science, and all the STEM stuff - and at some point I will have to also add the layer of "when you talk with other people in the field of physics, it would perhaps be best from engaging them in polite debate on the following topics : x, y, z" or "when you talk to your doctor, it would perhaps be best to not mention your concerns about nutritional advice x, y, z". It pains me to have to talk with them about "acceptable" vs. "not acceptable" social thoughts - but, I don't want them to be victimized by the current system.

All this weighs on me heavily. If there were some other alternative, not requiring me to be this one-man-team competing with private schools that far excel my ability to teach in terms of staff, resources, and possibly even motivation - I think at this juncture I'd take it. But such things do not even exist in our area, nor possibly in the public domain itself - not sure.

On top of this it's a very isolating experience. If you're Christian on top of trying to shield your children from regular indoctrination, you may also face the problems of shielding them from manufactured holidays and their paraphernalia. These days Halloween and Alien themes are everywhere. I can't even take my kids to a waterpark, zoo, or museum, without getting hammered with skull and cross bones, pirate skeletons, greek Gods, tortured animals, dinosaurs, a general commercialization-over-ethics mentality, various (probably wrong) space theories and glorification of space, aliens or meditation. I think the worst thing is turning to my Christian friends and their being like "what's wrong with any of that?" as they cram their kids' face full of high fructose corn syrup, gmo soy, and other helpful food options.

Food is another thing. It is not very helpful to be the type of parent who wants to prepare everything from scratch, so as to ensure optimal nutrition and minimal (if possible) toxins. This is a massive cramp in any homeschool curriculum, unless you are one of those amazing people that can effectively cook with your children, and use the opportunity to teach about teaspoons and stuff. If you are then I am just jealous of you and you can move on. But for the rest of us it involves screaming kids slowly losing patience while you fry up the onions or whatever else you are doing, and there's no other "teacher" to take them out to recess. You have to be this crazy one man team, and that includes clean up. You will never have a clean house again at a certain child load level. I really don't think any schools or more mainstream parents face this problem as they can easily feed their kids processed hotdogs or microwavable pizzas in all kinds of toxic wrapping - complete with plastic forks and spoons to go with it, and hey! presto, lunch is served.

Recently my husband crushed my spirit by showing me that all the organic food I thought was unmodified has actually been hybridized over the last couple hundred years so that a banana no longer looks anything like the original fruit; nor does the watermelon, and who knows what else. I start to question whether the insane amount of income we spend on "organic" foods is amounting to anything. But this is another thing - you will pay for taxes and the corrupt system anyway, and be down an income.

When you go to the doctor's office, that's probably the most dangerous place to be with children. There's absolutely no room for voicing any opinions there. We actually wound up in an extensive CPS investigation when a doctor wanted to drug one of my babies with phenobarbital, and we wanted a 2nd opinion. The hospital got mad that we questioned it, and it took 60 days to close that thing. I would not have argued with them were they not prescribing a basically life-addicting, brain destroying substance to my less than half a year old infant. But this is kind of how life is "in the simulation age". The hospital composed a 700 page document in case CPS requested it stating flat out lies also adding that we were "chain smokers" when we are teetotling people with no smoking history. I lost so much weight from sheer anxiety those 60 days. The document also went on at length about us inappropriately breastfeeding during shots, and not vaccinating. So this is not something to kid around with. Sometimes, it's better to just not share thoughts with your medical practitioner, and avoidance is the best option - not that you really can, with "mandatory" visits (and yes, they are all mandatory, because your child can be taken away for you for neglect if you miss 1 visit).

I say all this not to discourage anyone. Isn't it Rudyard Kipling's poem that said something if you can keep your head when others are losing theirs, you'll really be a man? In that case I am the manliest woman out there!!

I just wanted in closing to celebrate all the people doing it better than I am and to hope that perhaps we can collaborate in the future to either establish our own hippie commune or somehow network in the future world to prevent each other from starving to death in a poverty-stricken state. Which yes, is one of my greatest anxieties.

Yahusha bless.
Alicekinnian

Postby CluedIn on June 26th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Alicekinnian - might I suggest you join a homeschooling forum on FB or some other platform to vent.
CluedIn

Postby sunshine05 on June 27th, 2018, 1:04 am

I can understand the challenges you describe. I homeschool my two boys and often have struggled with exactly how to teach certain subjects. My advice to you is try to relax. I'm not sure how old they are, but mine are teens now and we are able to have good discussions about things, including media fakery. They believe it is occurring, the same as I have for years now.

As far as preparing them for future jobs, I've found that there are some things more important than others. Expose them to lots of classical literature, and teach them how to write really good essays. That is necessary to prepare them for college. Spend a lot of time on math, because they will need that to pass standardized tests. Teach them grammar and vocabulary because it is so important to have a firm grasp of both.

We teach conventional history, but try to expose them to other versions of it -- such as Lincoln and the Civil War, and the official version versus other facts that refute it. It makes it more interesting.

We did try conventional school off and on, but it never worked out. My 17 year old is now preparing for his senior year of high school. He is doing dual enrollment to gain high school and college credits simultaneously.

My 13 year old is currently interested in geography and geopolitics, particularly the situation in Syria and Yemen, and we talked about how the media showed us faked gas attacks on the Syrian civilians. He admires the independent journalists who bring us the truth about what is happening in those areas.

So, it's probably smart to teach the official versions of things, but make them aware that there is evidence that things didn't really happen that way. Teach them to be skeptical, to challenge the official stories, and to research them.

Homeschooling has been wonderful for us. We've taken them to so many places. They are so well mannered too.
sunshine05

Postby Observer on June 27th, 2018, 1:56 am

In addition to teaching kids the official stories to pass the official tests, teach kids to notice lies using Logic and Analysis.

The Jon Rappaport character reveals some lies & manipulation, but unfortunately does not admit the full extent of fakery.

So perhaps just create some original Logic and Analysis lessons for your kids - showing them how to notice illogic in stories.

And since 9/11 is a prime example of illogic in the official story/images, show your kids Simon's 19 Logic and Analysis videos.

Just remember, one should also give kids full disclosure: the illogic-regurgitating-majority currently labels such Logic "crazy".

And thus while knowing official stories are lies, one still must write consensus "facts" on tests/reports to get high-paying jobs.

Which means, one should honestly explain to kids the extremes: financially rich Lie-repeater or financially poor Lie-destroyer.

And honestly explain that some folks are happier lying for big money... some folks are happier telling the truth for little money.

Big money buys nice food/home/things/vacations, yet big-money-lies create worldwide suffering & a personal guilty conscience.

One can try to get the best of both worlds by regurgitating the consensus "facts" on tests/reports while being honest with friends.

And one can even try to get the best of both worlds by creating a "highly-paid Lie-destroyer" career path but this is hard to create.

Honestly explain the extremes (rich Lie-repeater vs. poor Lie-destroyer) and that each soul must choose one's own path of Balance.
Observer

Postby PianoRacer on June 27th, 2018, 3:18 am

My personal opinion as a father of two young children, feel free to take it or leave it:

It is not our jobs as parents to "teach" our children anything other than that which they express a desire to learn. My experience, with children as well as adults, is that human beings cannot be taught anything in which they do not have a genuine interest, which must come from within themselves for any "teaching" to be effective. This is why people can spend over a decade being "taught" in "schools" and come out having learned absolutely nothing. That was certainly my experience.

What I focus on as a parent instead:

• Modeling healthy behavior and virtuous qualities, such as courage, determination, kindness, respect, empathy, curiosity, compassion, trust, open-mindedness, etc.
  • Expressing constant curiosity about their thoughts, desires, interests, opinions and passions, and encouraging and helping them to grow and learn and play and build whatever it is that brings them happiness, joy and fulfillment (this, to me, is far more important than training them in skills that will earn them money. If they learn to pursue their passions with vigor and determination, I have little doubt that money and financial stability will follow).
  • Treating them as human beings who deserve my curiosity and respect at all times and under all circumstances. I do not tell them what to do (though I certainly ask and suggest). I do not threaten to punish them under any circumstances and I certainly do not threaten them with physical violence. I find that my children naturally defer to their parents as they generally recognize that their parents have much more knowledge and experience than they do.
  • Encouraging skepticism at all times - I am constantly asking them "Are you sure? How do you know?", even when I agree with them. My hope is that this will inculcate in them the ability to and habit of questioning what they are told, and to encourage them to come to their own conclusions, regardless of what everyone around them believes.

I don't like the term "homeschooling" because it's still "schooling" which is unnatural and counter-productive. I prefer "Unschooling" or just "Schools are for fish - children are not fish!"

What Is Unschooling? https://www.naturalchild.org/guest/earl_stevens.html

Despite the differences between the school environment and the home, many parents begin homeschooling under the impression that it can be pursued only by following some variation of the traditional public school curriculum in the home. Preoccupied with the idea of "equivalent education", state and local education officials assume that we must share their educational goals and that we homeschool simply because we don't want our children to be inside their buildings. Textbook and curriculum publishing companies go to great lengths to assure us that we must buy their products if we expect our children to be properly educated. As if this were not enough, there are national, state, and local support organizations that have practically adopted the use of the traditional curriculum and the school-in-the-home image of homeschooling as a de facto membership requirement. In the midst of all this, it can be difficult for a new homeschooling family to think that an alternative approach is possible.

My wife does take them on a regular basis to an "agile learning community" where they play, explore, and pursue their interests and help others pursue theirs, which they love. Like everything, this activity is dependent on their desire to attend, which they generally do. When they don't, they don't go.

https://agilelearningcenters.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_learning

I highly recommend the book Free to Learn by Peter Grey. It helped me understand what my children really need to become happy, healthy adults and it certainly isn't "school", home or otherwise.

http://www.freetolearnbook.com/

In Free to Learn, developmental psychologist Peter Gray argues that our children, if free to pursue their own interests through play, will not only learn all they need to know, but will do so with energy and passion. Children come into this world burning to learn, equipped with the curiosity, playfulness, and sociability to direct their own education. Yet we have squelched such instincts in a school model originally developed to indoctrinate, not to promote intellectual growth.

Good luck on your parenting journey. Parenting in the simulation age is difficult indeed, but knowing the truth about the world and about children and about school and all the rest is incredibly empowering and opens up unlimited possibilities.

All the best,
PR
PianoRacer

Postby sunshine05 on June 27th, 2018, 4:16 am

Unschooling doesn't work for all kids. If left up to him, my one son would play video games all day. He needed the structure.

The other one pursues constructive interests on his own, so I considered that unschooling. He studied astronomy, architecture, building desktop computers, geography, drawing, and more.

But if you strictly unschool, your kid will not learn proper grammar, math and writing. Just my opinion.

I do agree that to fully learn things, there has to be at least some interest, but some structure is definitely needed.

Sorry this is off topic.
sunshine05

Postby PianoRacer on June 27th, 2018, 5:08 am

Unschooling doesn't work for all kids. If left up to him, my one son would play video games all day. He needed the structure.

I apologize if I gave the impression that "unschooling" in any way indicates a lack of structure, as that is definitely not the case. My children, for example, attend their "school" which does have some structure - field trips every Wednesday, opening and closing circle, it happens at certain times on certain days, etc.. They also go to community classes for dancing, swimming, gymnastics, etc.

Also, it isn't about "leaving it up to" them. Actively (and creatively) encouraging healthy limits on any given activity, especially relatively passive ones like TV and video games, is critical. My kids watch some TV, play some "video games" (I recommend starfall.com for young kids), but we agree on a limit and usually they are good at sticking to that. Sometimes it's about offering them activities that they might enjoy more. "You watched your two shows which is the agreed upon limit, now lets go play outside! Or Mom can help you with project X that you've been working on!" I'm not saying it's easy - it very often isn't, and the temptation to sit them in front of the TV so Mom and Dad can have a break is a constant temptation, and one which we occasionally give in to.

But if you strictly unschool, your kid will not learn proper grammar, math and writing. Just my opinion.

"strictly unschool" is a bit of an oxymoron. Additionally, that is a pretty broad and confident assertion you're making there. I think the many unschoolers who are quite capable of "proper grammar, math and writing" would beg to differ, some of whom I've met and have a great deal of respect for.

Your position is a fairly common misconception, and one that many people share, but simply isn't true. In fact, if you google "Unschooling", the first result you will get is this:

http://yes-i-can-write.blogspot.com/

I find that many people reject the concept of unschooling without exploring it because it calls into question the decisions that they have made on behalf of their children. I am not saying that is necessarily the case for you, sunshine05, but it may be something worth exploring. Please don't take offense at that suggestion, it is just what I've generally observed.

All the best,
PR
PianoRacer

Previous

Return to The Question of Fakery