THE DERAILING ROOM

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
PianoRacer
____

Re: SUGGESTION BOX (for Admin action)

Unread post by PianoRacer »

[Edited by SCS to delete a sideshow about “earth shapes,” which is not permitted on Cluesforum. PERIOD. The information at the bottom was somewhat useful, so I didn’t delete the entirety of the post.]

[quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=2407750#p2407750]

. . .

P.P.S. As another poster pointed out previously, the "strikethrough" tag is not working correctly. When the button is pressed in the editor window, you get this:

Code: Select all

[/clyp]Test[st]
Which is... wrong. Simply using the proper tags works, but that the wrong tags are inserted when the button is pressed is very odd. Here is the proper way to add a strikethrough:

Code: Select all

[st]Test[/st]
I am not sure how to fix this issue, but I will investigate and see what I can do.
patrix

Re: THE DERAILING ROOM

Unread post by patrix »

[Admin Notice by SCS: Bad Faith “Question” alert!:] Your turn, Patrix - has the concave Earth theory been - by logic or experiment - disproven in your eyes?
Don't know. But neither has the Moon is made of cheese theory. Thing is that it's important to form an hypothesis/theory out of some reasonable logic and then try to refute it by observations and experiments. We can conclude that the Moon and other planets are spherical and thus it is reasonable to hypothesize that the Earth is the same and that theory has not been disproven.

I fail to see the point of hypothesize about some other shape (flat, concave, donut etc) since that is not based on a reasonable assumption and also since a more reasonable hypothesis has already been laid forward (the bally one) a long time ago and it still stands.

Edit:
http://www.phy.mtu.edu/alumni/history/DMGPlumbLines.pdf

Are you seriously suggesting that this paper disproves a spherical Earth?
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Unread post by SacredCowSlayer »

Thank you PianoRacer for that information about the “strike through” feature. If I’m not mistaken, that has been “buggy” in the past as well. And I never use it anyway, so it hasn’t really occurred to me.

In any event, if you’re able to fix it without going through too much trouble, that would be terrific.

And Patrix, thank you for your assistance to Simon working on the various aspects of the very important TYCHOS research. I’m excited to see how that develops.

Now, if it’s okay with you kind gentlemen, let’s please not get wrapped up in any side-show Derailing Room “debates” over earth shapes. PianoRacer properly characterized his own view as a belief. And he posted it here in the Derailing Room- NOT as a topic. So let’s just leave it that way.

I’m sure if I expressed my own beliefs about certain things here I would find instant challenges. But that isn’t what we are about.

There has been quite enough drama here the last few days.

I think I am all “full up” on it for now.

Again, thank you both. The collaborative work needs to continue, and we simply can’t afford unnecessary distractions with any kind of “infighting.” I trust you will both appreciate where I’m coming from.

My Warmest Regards to You Both,
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

Flabbergasted » November 14th, 2018, 9:22 am wrote:
fbenario » November 12th, 2018, 9:32 pm wrote: Too much bragging, too much effusive praise for our forum, too much gilding our lily. Seemed to be trying to convince us of something, such as her bona fides and trustworthiness.
Not my style either, fbenario, but don´t let jealousy get the better of you.
Ooooh, how droll of you. Well done!
patrix

Unread post by patrix »

PianoRacer » November 15th, 2018, 6:24 am wrote:For the record - though the topic has been deemed VERBOTTEN.

[Admin Notice by SCS: “VERBOTTEN” wasn’t my word. Nevertheless, it’s true that earth-shape debates are not permitted on Cluesforum. As such, the rest of that post (by PianoRacer) has been deleted by SCS. I’m not playing around here.]
Earlier you wrote:

patrix » November 13th, 2018, 6:19 pm wrote:
and has NEVER been disproven.

PianoRacer: Except, of course, by the Tamarack mine shaft experiment, and arguably, the Rectilineator.
http://www.phy.mtu.edu/alumni/history/DMGPlumbLines.pdf
So how do you expect "Except, of course by" to be interpreted?
PianoRacer
____

Unread post by PianoRacer »

[Admin Notice by SCS: My admonition was blatantly disregarded in this post. I have accordingly replaced it with this.]
patrix

Unread post by patrix »

PianoRacer » November 15th, 2018, 7:36 am wrote:[Admin Notice by SCS: My admonition was blatantly disregarded in this post (by PianoRacer). I have accordingly replaced it with this.]
Good to know where you stand on this PR.

I’ve had the privilege to study Simons model for about two years now, and I disagree that its badly explained or hard to understand. The other day I was thinking about the “elevator explanation” of Tychos. Imagine you are in an elevator and someone asks you what the heck is Tychos?

Tychos is the only model of our solar system that is in accordance with observations and experiments.

And Simon shows this beyond doubt in his book and articles. And Tychosium 2D is the only simulation of the solar system we have that is correct.

The Tychos model is a reasonable and logical hypothesis to test, just like the spherical Earth, since the configuration Simon proposes is the same as the binary stars we now can observe, and it has also been proposed historically by Tycho Brahe and Indian astronomers. Simon verifies it repeatedly throughout his book and it holds, just like the spherical Earth.

Perhaps it was not your intention but this was actually a very inspirational post made by you PR. I realize that the fun and rewarding work with Simon and his Tychos has only begun and I look forward to every minute of it.
pov603

Unread post by pov603 »

PR, I go along with what Observer said.
If you have doubts about “tychos” and can highlight them as you’ve said about Venus’s retrograde motion that is exactly the sort of critique that is needed.
Let’s not get too “emotionally involved” with one viewpoint or another just yet, let’s just enjoy the ride and the scenery.
We may well find our destination(s) soon enough.

Edit: typo
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

[Admin Notice by SCS: I have deleted the misleading post (previously quoted here) by another member which was unfortunately used as the basis for the following (though appropriate) question (below). It was promptly answered by yours truly here.]

Simon and Hoi have consistently thought complete openness about the forum's ongoing costs (including permanent storage of its content) and funding provided the best protection against claims it is a moneymaking enterprise that is purposely fooling the world with nonsensical content.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1828

If the forum's costs and/or funding source have now changed the mods should disclose the changes, both for consistency with past practice and to protect us all from baseless accusations that we are preying on the gullible, similar to Alex Jones' Infowars site which is in part a cover for selling unnecessary multivitamins to fools.

Further, the forum and its predecessor have survived 9 years through smallish ongoing financial contributions by members. The mods should disclose if the forum no longer needs these contributions to survive.

Edit: This post shouldn't be in The Derailing Room, but I didn't notice where I was until after hitting Submit.
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Dear Observer,

Cut yourself and everybody else some slack. I say that with love. Life is simply too short. That kind of pressure on oneself properly belongs in the “Engineering Disease” topic. (light-hearted humor intended here :)).

Your support of the work here is clear, and appreciated.

Not everybody is in a position to donate money though, and that’s okay.

I (personally) am absolutely in agreement with you about Simon justly receiving contributions, should members wish to voluntarily donate.

Until Simon and I (emphasis on the former) bring more clarity to the “donate button” issue, please understand that you may of course donate (generally) to Simon and the projects we are aware of. No pressure at all.

All that said, I think it was fair of Fbenario to ask this question (re the survival of the forum in the absence of contributions), and it deserved a straight answer, which I provided. The answer is that THIS forum will survive even without a single donation from a non-Admin/Mod.

That should be liberating for our members. If that changes, somebody here will let you know.

This place will be fine. Our members greatest contributions to CF (specifically) are comprised of well written posts that advance the research.

I strongly encourage them to do so without guilt or shame.

Thank you Observer for your passion and heart towards this issue. I hope this helps.

My Warmest to You All,
Observer
Banned

Vacation Start

Unread post by Observer »

I will finally begin my vacation now. I'm gonna' try to totally hold-my-tongue and not post anything for at least a few months, and then after that only occasionally if at all.

To reduce the temptation to help correct occasional minor mistaken sentences/ideas/actions, I really should just not look for a few months, but there's no other real site out there, so... I'll just be strong and keep this promise to silently Observe.

I've gotten everything off my chest so my conscience is clear. I'll leave the rest up to you. My favorite posters: Simon, Hoi, SCS, BrianV, ICfreely, PianoRacer; all the mods; all the contributors; all the readers. You're all doing fine! More visuals please. Take it easy fellow humans! :) Beep Boop. :)
Dani
Administrator

Re: Vacation Start

Unread post by Dani »

Observer » November 18th, 2018, 3:35 pm wrote:I will finally begin my vacation now. I'm gonna' try to totally hold-my-tongue and not post anything for at least a few months, and then after that only occasionally if at all.

To reduce the temptation to help correct occasional minor mistaken sentences/ideas/actions, I really should just not look for a few months, but there's no other real site out there, so... I'll just be strong and keep this promise to silently Observe.

I've gotten everything off my chest so my conscience is clear. I'll leave the rest up to you. My favorite posters: Simon, Hoi, SCS, BrianV, ICfreely, PianoRacer; all the mods; all the contributors; all the readers. You're all doing fine! More visuals please. Take it easy fellow humans! :) Beep Boop. :)
Dear Observer, my dad (SCS) and I have a friendly wager going as to whether you can go a week without posting, let alone a few months. I know that you won’t disappoint. ;) Nevertheless, enjoy your vacation. :)
Dani
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Re: Vacation Start

Dani » November 18th, 2018, 5:41 pm wrote:
Observer » November 18th, 2018, 3:35 pm wrote:I will finally begin my vacation now. I'm gonna' try to totally hold-my-tongue and not post anything for at least a few months, and then after that only occasionally if at all.

Dear Observer, my dad (SCS) and I have a friendly wager going as to whether you can go a week without posting, let alone a few months. I know that you won’t disappoint. ;) Nevertheless, enjoy your vacation. :)
Well, Dani has persuaded me to “up the ante” here by extending the wager to 2 weeks. Given the expression by Observer to go a “few months” without posting, I think this is fair.

While the content of this Forum is often serious by nature, I think there is still room for some light-hearted humor and fun.

Good luck to each participant. :)

Sincerely,
Mansur

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by Mansur »

[Admin Notice (SCS): Dear Mansur, I’m noticing a pattern of uninsightful “shin-kicking” in a lot of your posts. Please try to make cogent and constructive points, or else refrain from posting.]

We are following our biases all the times. What are the biases of the inventor of such points? Maybe (most certainly) he is himself the main source of his own items. – To ask questions as this, maybe, just another bias.
Mansur

Re: Engineering disease

Unread post by Mansur »

[Admin Notice (SCS): Not only does this post fail to make a point, it’s almost downright incomprehensible. Please. . .]

It seems logical that if the "placebo response" plays such an important role in healing, people should also study this effect in the process of getting ill as well...

Placebo, - what an idiotic word it is! At least to the ears of every sane person watching seriously the course of his own illnesses.

People are making apparently extraordinary efforts to keep things in their scientific framework of logic and conceptions even at the risk of being complete nonsense, so much so that this latter sometimes seems indeed to be the goal.
ICfreely » December 6th, 2018, 12:19 pm wrote:
...In clinical trials, fewer and fewer new drugs beat the placebos. In other words, more and more drugs failed in clinical trials, causing big problems for drug companies...
If it is a problem we don’t need to think they cannot treat them well! [WTF? :wacko:]The more placebo studies -- the more power in the hand of the „big pharma” (and maybe of other "agencies" as well). In these „border areas of medicine and psychology” I think they can trawl from the bottom much-much more „useful knowledge” than an average mortal could ever follow.

By the way he also has his (banned) TEDtalk show; is there any better advertising than a banned TEDtalk? „The Science Delusion” sounds as if being a counterpart to the „The God Illusion” (though, at least seemingly, a thousand times more intelligent and humorous), -- if it is it does it only nominally and not in reality.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHUaNAxsTg