THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
hoi.polloi

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

lux wrote:Just please don't think he's the forum's only watchdog.
I don't. And thanks.
lux

Unread post by lux »

OK, brianv. I'm all done bitching anyway.

You're welcome, hoi.

Now, moving on ...
hoi.polloi

truthseeker wrote:I'm leaving this forum. Good luck to everyone.I guess you do need smarter people here.
truthseeker.
Thanks, truthseeker, but I hope you are not leaving in a self-disparaging way. It's not an "easy" or "chatty" forum, even as much as Fakeologist is, and sorry about any negativity you take away. But I hope you can look back on your contributions with optimism. Godspeed. Bye.
Libero

Unread post by Libero »

Perhaps in thanks to brianv for services rendered, we can set aside a short amount of time to give a shout out to and attempt to write in the same style as one of the very talented authors and fellow countryman of his, James Joyce did in one of his most famous novels -- a "Finnegan's Wake Week" or something of the sort. Coincidentally, the book additionally contains Norwegian influence and "In 1998, the Modern Library ranked Finnegans Wake 77th on its list of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century."

Snippet from Chapter 1 (full e-book linked below)
riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Sir Tristram, violer d’amores, fr’over the short sea, had passen-core rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer’s rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County’s gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all’s fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa’s malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.

:D (I'm just acting the maggot, brianv. Sláinte.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnegans_Wake
https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/j/joyce/ ... plete.html
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Hah!? I was going to accuse member "lux" of being an "Ezra Pound"...in the editorial sense of course, during a recent "Tempest in a Teapot" here on cluesforum. I tried reading Joyce...tried!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezra_Pound
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Uh - I suppose I'm expected to 'weigh-in' into this last discourse in the chatbox. "Say something, Simon!"

Hmm, let's see... Well, ok - I'll take Libero's advice and just quote the eloquent Jimmy Joyce:

"What clashes here of wills gen wonts, oystrygods gaggin fishy-gods! Brékkek Kékkek Kékkek Kékkek! Kóax Kóax Kóax! Ualu Ualu Ualu! Quaouauh!"

^_^
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

simonshack wrote:*

Uh - I suppose I'm expected to 'weigh-in' into this last discourse in the chatbox. "Say something, Simon!"

Hmm, let's see... Well, ok - I'll take Libero's advice and just quote the eloquent Jimmy Joyce:

"What clashes here of wills gen wonts, oystrygods gaggin fishy-gods! Brékkek Kékkek Kékkek Kékkek! Kóax Kóax Kóax! Ualu Ualu Ualu! Quaouauh!"

^_^
Brékkek Kékkek Kékkek Kékkek! Kóax Kóax Kóax! Ualu Ualu Ualu

Yes, I got that far! That's extreme coughing - as far as I could tell.
Libero

Unread post by Libero »

Finnegans Wake (song with a very short blurb on the book) -- The Clancy Brothers

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6CHq9mXkJ8

OK, I think I hit my limit of 2 drinking songs posted today. :D

I learned about the U.S. national anthem being tied to the other drinking song from, of all places, an episode of the Comedy Channel's "Drunk History." :P

Clip from episode...
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/9hsieb/dr ... ish-forces
sunshine05

Unread post by sunshine05 »

Truthseeker, I hope you reconsider. I left this forum in 2010 or so and regretted it a short time later because there is no other place like this to discuss media fakery and psyops. Clues Forum members are among the few who truly understand the level of fakery that surrounds us.

I don't think brianv was out of line with his joke about Chablis. I cringe when I see poor grammar and spelling too. It doesn't take very long to proofread a post before hitting the submit button and you can always go back later and correct the errors if you miss them.

I think you should just let it go and in the future take more time to proofread your posts. Your information will be much more credible if everything is correct. I really think you will regret it if you leave!
lux

Unread post by lux »

sunshine05 wrote:Truthseeker, I hope you reconsider. ...

I don't think brianv was out of line with his joke about Chablis.
Neither do I but I don't think he left because of the Chablis remark. I'm guessing it had more to do with his being told to "fuck off" by a mod.

BTW, I just found this ...
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

truthseeker wrote:I'm leaving this forum. Good luck to everyone.I guess you do need smarter people here.
truthseeker.
Nice passive-aggressiveness. We don't need 'smarter people' (whatever that means in the context of a forum about awareness and thinking for oneself), we need people who care enough about themselves and other people to proof what they write before hitting Submit. Your apparent unwillingness to take that extra little bit of time shows how little you value the forum and your own efforts.

It'd also be nice to have more members with enough backbone and normal psychological health not to react emotionally to criticism of their posts. Adults, in other words, not callow youths whose feelings are so easily hurt.

"Truthseeker"? Not hardly. If you cared about truth you'd stay here, rather than leaving because someone didn't like your posts.

Self-esteem issues much?
JLapage

Unread post by JLapage »

Nice passive-aggressiveness. We don't need 'smarter people' (whatever that means in the context of a forum about awareness and thinking for oneself), we need people who care enough about themselves and other people to proof what they write before hitting Submit. Your apparent unwillingness to take that extra little bit of time shows how little you value the forum and your own efforts.

It'd also be nice to have more members with enough backbone and normal psychological health not to react emotionally to criticism of their posts. Adults, in other words, not callow youths whose feelings are so easily hurt.

"Truthseeker"? Not hardly. If you cared about truth you'd stay here, rather than leaving because someone didn't like your posts.

Self-esteem issues much?
Did you mean to type 'to proofread' instead of 'to proof'? I searched for the meaning of 'to proof' without success. I don't mean to be petty or nitpicking. And I definitely do not wish to be faultfinding. I am just curious to learn more about what you meant.
hoi.polloi

Proof is colloquial for proofread in some writing professions, in my experience.
lux

Unread post by lux »

Yes. "Proof" as a verb means to proofread something.
HonestlyNow

Unread post by HonestlyNow »

JLapage wrote: I searched for the meaning of 'to proof' without success.
That's odd. I Google 'define proof' or 'define "to proof"' and definitions come up, which includes "proofread (a text)." My hubby used to proof the yeast in his pizza dough for our weekly ritual homemade pizza.