THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

hoi.polloi wrote:Our system sends the most conniving psychos straight to the top of the power pyramid.
A statement which pretty much summarizes Lobaczewski´s book "Political Ponerology".

Available here: http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/uploads/p ... rology.pdf

A bit long-winding and repetitive, but a seminal contribution to the field of perpology.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

I'm sorry, most of the videos are on "facebook" accounts and I'd rather not post them here - however this just arrived in my email account. As you see from the comments that there is no coverage of these events in the "MSM" other than the usual spin about the "protestors" and "dissidents". One video shows an ugly bitch who works for the government banks being hit with a water-balloon :rolleyes: The state broadcaster RTE has been condemning the thuggery and violence of the protestors.

EDIT: I think the facebook account has been pulled or suspended. :(
Critical Mass

Unread post by Critical Mass »

Another one of those rational, well read, scientifically inclined & down right respectable people this one with a "love of logical thought, skepticism, and thinking critically. Being an exploration of the applications of skeptical thinking to the world at large"...
One of the hazards of becoming more aware of how biased and (sometimes) duplicitous popular media can be is that you finally, de facto, stop believing everything you read and hear.
It's called, of course, being a "cynic," and it's just as lazy as being gullible. However, because the credulous are often derided as silly or ignorant, cynics sometimes feel that they must therefore be highly intelligent, and that disbelieving everything means that you're too smart to be "taken in."
In reality, cynicism is an excuse, a justification for having stopped thinking. "The media always lies" isn't any closer to the truth than "everything you eat causes cancer" or "all of the science we're being told now could be wrong." It give you an automatic reason not to read (or not to watch your diet or not to learn science), and in the end, is simply a statement of willful ignorance.
Take, for example, the site Clues Forum, which has as its tagline, "Exposing Media Fakery." In particular, consider the thread that was started a little over a year ago, but which continues to circulate, lo up unto this very day... entitled "The (Non-religious) Dinosaur Hoax Question."
Hmmm I'm not liking this at all... I for one have never been called a 'willfully ignorant cynical disbeliever' before... still it could be worse.

The actual hit piece is his 'exploration' on just three posts on (in my opinion) one of the weaker & more theoretical threads on the forum.

Hundreds of threads, tens of thousands of posts jam packed with mind blowing information and he 'explores' just three posts.

Rather lazy in my opinion.

As for his claim that we're 'cynics'...
Cynicism is an attitude or state of mind characterized by a general distrust of others' motives believing that humans are selfish by nature, ruled by emotion, and heavily influenced by the same primitive instincts that helped humans survive in the wild before agriculture and civilization became established.
... I, for one, suspect that no hunter gatherer on Earth would believe or endure, even for a second, the bullshit we're expected to do.

I consider myself an optimist. I hope one day after Academia & the population at large develop basic 'street smarts' & an ability to understand deception then perhaps we can have a 'new' age of enlightenment.

A future world probably not without its lies & liars... but at least possessing populations willing to entertain that lies & liars exist!
Last edited by Critical Mass on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
lux

Unread post by lux »

^ Hmm .. the above author basically gives a review of my opening post of the dinosaur hoax thread. He makes no specific mention of the posts that follow.

His conclusion:
By the time you've read this far, you're so far sunk in the mire of paranoia that you would probably begin to doubt that gravity exists. Those Evil, Evil Scientists! They're lying to us about everything!

Of course, what we're seeing here is the phenomenon I started with; substituting lazy gullibility with lazy disbelief. All the writer would have to do is sign up for a paleontology class, or (better yet) go on a fossil dig, to find out how the science is really done.

But I've found that people like this will seldom take any of those steps. Once you suspect everyone, there's no one to lean on but yourself -- and (by extension) on your own ignorance. At that point, you're stuck. So there is a difference between gullibility and cynicism.

Gullibility is curable.
So, all I have to do is take a paleontology class or go on a fossil dig and I would change my mind about all the dino-fakery that we have so far documented on the dino hoax thread.

Uh huh.

His "logic" is that when scientists tell lies it's merely due to innocent error and to think it is intentional is "paranoia" even though many millions of dollars are involved in these innocent errors.

Talk about gullibility!

:rolleyes:
sublimity

Unread post by sublimity »

A couple of 9/11 outtakes have been revealed recently...

^*At the time of my posting, this image is listed as the #1 'viral photo' on imgur.

<_<
Source of the supposed amateur photos:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/2 ... his_plane/
Critical Mass

Unread post by Critical Mass »

Well it's a better than the Daily Mail's photo from Newark airport.

Either way I'm not too sure you could take a photo of the WTC from Newark airport without the Bay Bridge featuring heavily in the shot like here, here or for that matter this 9/11 vid...

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PxuS5sC-D4
Seneca

Unread post by Seneca »

I discovered this cool site from Google where you can look up the usage of words in books from 1700 till 2008

I entered some conspiracy related words just out of interest:

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... RY%3B%2Cc0

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... AX%3B%2Cc0

and here for "Ebola"and swine flu

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... LU%3B%2Cc0

Nothing big but I noticed that they started writing about both Ebola and swine flu about the same time. Around the year I was born.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... LU%3B%2Cc0
pov603

Unread post by pov603 »

I know that it was recently used in another post, but is very apt in this regard:
“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

― George Orwell, 1984
bostonterrierowner

Unread post by bostonterrierowner »

"American Spring" at least this article from zerohedge claims so:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-11-2 ... re-blocked

People protest nationwide (?) against grand jury's decision not to prosecute "the cop that shot Michael Brown" in Fergusson this summer.

Can our American members shed some light on what's going on across the pound right now ?

Thx in advance :)
lux

Unread post by lux »

bostonterrierowner wrote: Can our American members shed some light on what's going on across the pound right now ?
Public rioting over racist police brutality is an American tradition. :)

But, seriously, folks …

Americans have a great deal of real reasons to protest and are on the verge of doing just that. So, give them a case of good old reliable Racist Police Brutality to distract and misdirect them and provide a focal point for the venting of their anger.

Thus the bankers, federal officials, and all the other real villains can sleep soundly in their beds this holiday season knowing the lynch mobs (real or simulated) are occupied elsewhere.
bostonterrierowner

lux wrote:
bostonterrierowner wrote: Can our American members shed some light on what's going on across the pound right now ?
Public rioting over racist police brutality is an American tradition. :)

But, seriously, folks …

Americans have a great deal of real reasons to protest and are on the verge of doing just that. So, give them a case of good old reliable Racist Police Brutality to distract and misdirect them and provide a focal point for the venting of their anger.

Thus the bankers, federal officials, and all the other real villains can sleep soundly in their beds this holiday season knowing the lynch mobs (real or simulated) are occupied elsewhere.

Divide and conquer :)

And of course I meant across the POND
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

what's going on across the pound
A little Freudian slip there perhaps? :P
Oops you caught it!
lux

Unread post by lux »

I should also add that our “president” has just recently signed into law a major revision of USA immigration policies, one that basically suspends action against many illegal immigrants. This is a very touchy subject with many Americans as it has a direct effect on things like employment, taxes, government aid, etc. These new policies even reward American employers for hiring illegal immigrants. (search news sites for “immigration” for details)

We are already suffering from a huge unemployment rate (higher than the press reports), tax increases, Obamacare and other ripoffs, etc. so you can see how this immigration thing might piss off a great many Americans.

It is a common trick to create a sensational news story (like the Ferguson thing) to distract the public while introducing some major change like this.
bostonterrierowner

lux wrote:I should also add that our “president” has just recently signed into law a major revision of USA immigration policies, one that basically suspends action against many illegal immigrants. This is a very touchy subject with many Americans as it has a direct effect on things like employment, taxes, government aid, etc. These new policies even reward American employers for hiring illegal immigrants. (search news sites for “immigration” for details)

We are already suffering from a huge unemployment rate (higher than the press reports), tax increases, Obamacare and other ripoffs, etc. so you can see how this immigration thing might piss off a great many Americans.

It is a common trick to create a sensational news story (like the Ferguson thing) to distract the public while introducing some major change like this.
Thanks for helping me connect the dots. I have heard about this "presidential" immigration decree. What's so special about it ? Amnesties happen quite frequently otherwise influx of illegal immigrants could lose some steam to the corporate world's dissatisfaction :)

Anyways I think you are spot on the money about Ferguson's hidden agenda. Being from SoCal you must feel this rapid demographic change quite precisely.
lux

Unread post by lux »

bostonterrierowner wrote:
lux wrote: I have heard about this "presidential" immigration decree. What's so special about it ? Amnesties happen quite frequently otherwise influx of illegal immigrants could lose some steam to the corporate world's dissatisfaction :)
Well, I'm no expert on immigration but I think this is more than just an amnesty, even though it may be called that. It seems more like part of an ongoing general softening of immigration restrictions. Basically, our govt seems to want to gradually establish an open door policy to immigrants, especially from Mexico. Many Americans, especially those in Southwestern states, see that as a threat to the already scarce job situation here.