THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
fbenario

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by fbenario »

whatsgoingon wrote:I was Emory class of 1996.
WTF? I was born at Emory Hospital, learned to ride a bicycle on the Quad at age-5, went to Druid Hills High, and graduated Emory College 83. My father taught there 1960-87 Professor of Classics (Latin and Greek), and is one of their most active Professor Emeriti. My parents live across the street from Emory Law, and are on campus every single day, even at ages 82 and 89.

Where you from? If Atlanta, what street? Where do you live now?

Having read all 30,000 posts on the forum, I have to say this one of yours is easily the most surprising post of all.
MrSinclair

Re: OSLO and UTØYA, 7/22 2011

Unread post by MrSinclair »

fbenario wrote:
Maat wrote:The grammatical gaff that bugs me the most in America is hearing people say "would have went" Image, along with misheard/misunderstood sayings like "hone in on", "hold down the fort", "could care less" :blink: etc.
Excellent series of posts, Maat!

What I despise the most in language are the absurdities and misuses that have crept into common parlance through repetition and loss of standards:

that/which
lay/lie
beside/besides
neither ... nor/neither ... or never permitted under any circumstance
fewer/less
farther/further
since/because
disinterested/uninterested
noisy/noisome
fulsome/full
bring/take
affect/effect
surreal/unpredicted
irony/coincidence
enormous/enormity
desert/dessert
your/you're
its/it's
to/too/two
they're/there/their
An impressive and helpful list to which I can only add one additional example that particularly irks me.

healthy/healthful

I am healthy but not from eating a healthy diet. :angry:
whatsgoingon
DELETED THEIR OWN POSTS :(

Unread post by whatsgoingon »

Last edited by whatsgoingon on Fri May 24, 2013 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

lol

When do police ever stop looking scared as hell? They are haunted soldiers for the ruling class. The only time a cop doesn't feel fear and hate is when they are asleep.

By the way, I propose we come up with new terms and labels for some words we are bombarded with by the media, which have too many connotations and double meanings. It's time for English to evolve the nuance it needs. For instance, legit journalist is to perp journalist as "victim" is to "vicsim". What are other "real" versus "legit" words we can come up with? And how do they redefine how we see the media?

For instance, if we define "victim" as a legit word, we must accept that people must always process "the news is lying to me about this being a victim". Whereas if we come up with a new word for a fake victim, and the word "victim" itself becomes synonymous with a dubious story, then we don't run the risk of the news "appropriating" terms we "trust". They must choose between the words that people don't have much faith in and words that outright indicate they are lying altogether. It's sort of a language trap to get the media to start admitting they are lying.

I propose some of the following differences we could use, some of which we've already evolved:

DUBIOUS - - - vs. - - - FAKE (is a lie)

victim ............................ vicsim

news story/theory ............... news (I guess it's clear enough all news is pretty fake, so if we think news might be real, we might still politely allow room for doubt by referring to it as a news "story" or news "theory", but this might cause too much confusion with the theory that news is false so perhaps we need better words in this area)

pundit/journalist
news priest .................... spurnalist (spurn, noun. 1. To reject disdainfully or contemptuously; scorn. journalists are always telling us what is "good" and "evil" so why not "news priest" actually?)

Just some playful ideas. I think the successful new words should sound like the language we speak, not something too new-sounding. :P
hoi.polloi

Re: OSLO and UTØYA, 7/22 2011

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

[Re http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p2372731]

I see what y'all are saying, but let's also be thankful that English goes through organic transformation that we can all be a part of. As the language deteriorates in some areas and words become ambiguous and gain double- or triple- meanings, it might improve and become more nuanced in others.

For instance, we know that we are capable of telling the difference between a "victim" and a "vicsim" now. Perhaps, we can also distinguish between media victims versus a real personal victim we knew. Right now, we seem to call story victims just "victims" while we call real personal victims "personal loss" or something like that.

Perhaps we could also come up with terms to determine the difference between "News" and fake news; the difference between "journalists" and paid government journalists.

But please, for the sake of the Oslo thread, let us agree to keep on topic for now and move the discussion of linguistics to the "chatbox".

Agreed; fbenario's & MrSinclair's posts moved here too :) — Maat
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

[quote="whatsgoingon"][/quote]
Thanks for all your memories!
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

Conspiracy Theorists Deserve an Apology
by Saman Mohammadi

The reason why there is so much hate and scorn for 9/11 truth activists is because they are right and consistent. The destruction of the 9/11 myth and war on terror ideology is unbearable for the children who are emotionally, spiritually, and psychologically attached to the U.S. government and the Israeli government. They are under the delusion that these evil governments actually care about them, their security, and their future.

The mature men and women of America and the West are waking up and confronting the lies of 9/11 and 7/7. And this political awakening is not unique to America and Western civilization. There is a global political and spiritual awakening happening. All totalitarian regimes in the world will fail in hijacking history and they will fall into ruin. The state terrorists in Washington, London, and Tel Aviv have already lost the battle for history and the souls of mankind.

Who is trying to stop World War III and wake the West up from its sleep? Progressives? No. Liberals? No. Conservatives? No. Christians? No. Journalists? No. They all believe in the official 9/11 deception, which is the ideological foundation that justifies USrael's aggressive wars in the Middle East.

9/11 truth-tellers, the "conspiracy theorists," have tried to wake up humanity in order to stop the USraeli government from starting the catastrophe of world war three. And for their efforts they have been slandered and smeared in the press. But the 9/11 truth movement still continues to grow by the day.

There is a simple reason why the rise of 9/11 truth cannot be contained by the USraeli government, and it is this: the age of slandering and smearing is over. Belittling people by calling them mentally ill conspiracy theorists and truthers is not working anymore. We embrace these terms. We are proud of being called conspiracy theorists because it means we're thinking.

Source: “Conspiracy Theorists Deserve An Apology” by Saman Mohammadi, July 19, 2012
http://disquietreservations.blogspot.hk ... ology.html
Maat

Unread post by Maat »

Oh boy, Heiwa, their controlled ops are getting more desperate and slimier, aren't they! So, all the "truthers" are the new 'normal' and we are the nuts now, eh? <_<

Just scroll down the list of links in the right column, to the bottom. Nuff said :rolleyes:
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Maat wrote:Oh boy, Heiwa, their controlled ops are getting more desperate and slimier, aren't they! So, all the "truthers" are the new 'normal' and we are the nuts now, eh? <_<

Just scroll down the list of links in the right column, to the bottom. Nuff said :rolleyes:
Ha, you beat me to it Maat!
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Maat wrote:Oh boy, Heiwa, their controlled ops are getting more desperate and slimier, aren't they! So, all the "truthers" are the new 'normal' and we are the nuts now, eh? <_<

Perhaps they didn't include us because we are not 'conspiracy theorists' and/or/therefore do not deserve an apology? :P

Can't be bad!
whatsgoingon

Unread post by whatsgoingon »

a
Last edited by whatsgoingon on Fri May 24, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

Nearly 90 percent of Germans do not believe the U.S. government explanation of what happened on September 11, 2001 :) :)
According to a survey conducted by TNS Emnid, one of the largest polling institutes in Germany, nearly 90 percent of Germans do not believe the U.S. government explanation of what happened on September 11, 2001.
The poll was conducted for the German magazine World of the Miracles.
In addition to 89.5% not buying the official 9/11 story, the poll found that 73.7% of surveyed Germans believe that the Kennedy assassination was a conspiracy and nearly 80% believe the CIA conducts covert operations on German soil.
In 2003, a poll conducted by Forsa for the German newspaper Die Zeit found that 31% of Germans under 30 years of age believe the attacks were an inside job.

http://www.infowars.com/nearly-90-perce ... airy-tale/
reel.deal

Unread post by reel.deal »

Last edited by reel.deal on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrutherInTX

Unread post by TrutherInTX »

One of the big news items being pushed today in the US is an Anaheim, California protest supposedly turning violent. In the video of this story there is a person that looks just like Obama :blink: , http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... ns-violent. The guy also stands out because he appears to be the only black person at the supposed protest. This story I think is being used to push the police brutality fear mongering.

More video of the Anaheim story with what appears to be more obnoxious victim acting.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Y0uWycuZ8
Rudy Algera

Unread post by Rudy Algera »

Last edited by Rudy Algera on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.