THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
simonshack
Administrator

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread post by simonshack »

Today my Swedish "partner in crime" Patrik sent me a message regarding the meaning of the name "Tycho":

"The name Tycho is a boy's name of Greek origin meaning "hitting the mark".
https://nameberry.com/babyname/Tycho

Patrik's message reminded me of this alternative meaning of the word "shack" - which I had stumbled upon some time ago:

"shack - n. a direct hit on a target by a bomb or missile."
https://www.waywordradio.org/shack/

I just had to laugh... :D
Kopfhoerer

Unread post by Kopfhoerer »

Best Wishes to all Cluesforum-Members.

I once read a post on this board about the "Peer-Review-Process" and its errors/self filtering. I´m not sure, but i think Simon wrote it.
I am not able to find it. Is anyone able to point me to this post?
Thanks for reading this and...maybe...a helpful Link.

Greeting from Germany
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Re: THE CHATBOX

Unread post by SacredCowSlayer »

Dear Kopfhoerer,

I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for—as we have numerous posts over the years that include a discussion of the “peer-review” process. In any event, the following quote by our member ICfreely hits this process (as we see it often used) hard.
ICfreely wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:20 am
Bill Nye on Conspiracy Theorists: NASA's Moon Landing, Vaccines, Astrology, and Tarot Cards

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFLtTK13G2w
Big Think
Published on Apr 4, 2017

Denial comes in all flavors. Some think the moon landing was staged, some think Tupac is alive, and others reject vaccines. If the United States learnt anything in the 2016 election, it's that social bubbles need to be broken down — so how do you reason with someone who ignores evidence or bends it to fit their worldview? This has been on Bill Nye's mind more and more since climate change denial has become a political issue rather than a scientific one. People can't change their minds instantly when their beliefs are ingrained, so it's not a matter of convincing them on the spot. Nye suggests working together towards scientific understanding by tactfully pointing out that perhaps this person is rejecting evidence because the alternative makes them uncomfortable. Understanding is a process, not a flip switch. Bill Nye's most recent book is Unstoppable: Harnessing Science to Change the World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFLtTK13G2w

Again with the "D" word? :rolleyes:

Bill Nye is scientism personified! He and his ilk are, under the guise of “science,” trying to usher in a Global Scientocracy founded on pseudo-science. They, in fact, are the true “anti-science” minded ones that they accuse their skeptics of being. That’s the irony of it all.

For the record:

1) I don't believe in astrology or tarot cards and have no reason to believe that Tupac or Elvis are still alive.
2) I do believe that the "moon landings" were staged.
3) I don't believe in the efficacy of ANY vaccines.
4) I haven't the slightest clue what "Climate Change" is.
1:35 “…but when it comes to moon landings, just ask the person how you would generate all that paperwork. The warehouses full of documentation that NASHA – NASA created…uh…to make landings on the moon would overwhelm any- anybody trying to do it on the side. You’d just- it’d just be very difficult to print all that.”
'K, Bill. If you say so.
"Nye suggests working together towards scientific understanding by tactfully pointing out that perhaps this person is rejecting evidence because the alternative makes them uncomfortable."
What makes me uncomfortable is the FACT that the IPCC started out promoting alarmist "Global Cooling" nonsense. Claiming that sun-blocking pollution would lead to a new "Ice Age" by the year 2000. That obviously never came to fruition. So they casually shifted to "Global Warming" which they claim is also due to pollution and will lead to rising ocean water levels. When the Climategate $chitt hit the fan in 2010 they settled on "Climate Change."

The Climategate Emails - Lavoisier Group
Introduction: Why Climategate is so Distressing to Scientists

The most difficult thing for a scientist in the era of Climategate is trying to explain to family and friends why it is so distressing to scientists. Most people don’t know how science really works: there are no popular television shows, movies or books that really depict the everyday lives of real scientists; it just isn’t exciting enough. I’m not talking here about the major discoveries of science—which are well-described in documentaries, popular science series, and magazines—but rather how the week-by-week process of science (often called the “scientific method”) actually works.

The best analogy that I have been able to come up with, in recent weeks, is the criminal justice system—which is often depicted in the popular media. Everyone knows what happens if the police obtain evidence by illegal means: the evidence is ruled inadmissible; and, if a case rests on that tainted evidence, it is thrown out of court. The justice system is not saying that the accused is necessarily innocent; rather, that determining the truth is impossible if evidence is not protected from tampering or fabrication.

The same is true in science: scientists assume that the rules of the scientific method have been followed, at least in any discipline that publishes its results for public consumption. It is that trust in the process that allows me, for example, to believe that the human genome has been mapped—despite my knowing nothing about that field of science at all. That same trust has allowed scientists at large to similarly believe in the results of climate science.

Until now.

So what are the “rules” of the scientific method? Actually, they are not all that different from those of the justice system. Just as it is a fundamental right of every affected party to be heard and fairly considered by the court, it is of crucial importance to science that all points of view be given a chance to be heard, and fairly debated. But, of course, it would be impossible to allow an “open slather” type of arrangement, like discussion forums on the Internet; so how do we admit all points of view, without descending into anarchy?

This question touches on something of a dark secret within science—one which most scientists, through the need for self-preservation, are scared to admit: most disciplines of science are, to a greater or lesser extent, controlled by fashions, biases and dogma. Why is this so? Because the mechanism by which scientific debate has been “regulated” to avoid anarchy—at least since the second half of the twentieth century—has been the “peer review” process. The career of any professional scientist lives or dies on their success in achieving publication of their papers in “peer reviewed” journals. So what, exactly, does “peer-reviewed” mean? Simply that other professional scientists in that discipline must agree that the paper is worthy of publication. And what is the criterion that determines who these “professional scientists” should be? Their success in achieving publication of their papers in peer-reviewed journals! Catch-22.

https://www.lavoisier.com.au/articles/g ... ails.pd...
Kopfhoerer

Unread post by Kopfhoerer »

Dear SCS,

that was not the post i was looking for. :D

But thank you anyway for your effort! ^_^

Greets
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

Democratic congressman and United Methodist pastor Emanuel Cleaver said the opening prayer (the Aaronic Blessing from Numbers 6:24-26) on the first day of the US Congress in January 2021. He finished it by saying “amen and a-woman”. When criticized for his mockery (he is a pastor after all), he said he had “concluded with a lighthearted pun in recognition of the record number of women who will be representing the American people in Congress during the term" and that his critics had proved themselves to be "soiled by selfishness, perverted by prejudice and inveigled by ideology”.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd69AX4M_DI

Cleaver's words are muffled behind the muzzle, but before his “amen and a-woman”, he asks for peace "in the name of the monotheistic God, Brahma, and the god known by many names, by many different faiths.” By the whiskers of Saint Maimonides of Calcutta, a politically correct and theologically insightful Methodist like that is all we need.
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

Ever heard of US Public Law 102-14 of 20 March 1991? Me neither.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/STA ... 5-Pg44.pdf

This obscure piece of legislation calls for (mandates?) the adoption of the so-called Seven Noahide Laws in order to save Christian America from itself, claiming these laws have been “the bedrock of society since the dawn of civilization”. In reality, the Noahide [or Noachide or Noachian] Laws are a fabrication found in the Talmud, with no scriptural link to the patriarch Noah (who is actually mocked in the Talmud). The Noah of the Talmud (Midrash) is a sort of patron saint for non-Judaics who wish to obtain conditional tolerance by the rabbis. In fact, the Noahide Laws are the only part of the Talmud non-Judaics are allowed to study.
Seven Noahide Laws:
1. Not to worship idols.
2. Not to curse God.
3. Not to commit murder.
4. Not to commit adultery, bestiality, or sexual immorality.
5. Not to steal.
6. Not to eat flesh torn from a living animal.
7. To establish courts of justice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Laws_of_Noah
What gullible non-Judaics are not told is that observance of the Noahide Laws means conforming to an unending stream of crafty rabbinical interpretations of the same (including the ontological opposition between "human beings" and non-Judaics), and that the seventh law leaves the door open to future persecution.
The Noahide set-up is above all a legal system which will eventually develop courts and a judiciary with the power to impose capital punishment for grievous infringements of the Noahide Laws. One death penalty offense under the Noahide rabbinic legal system is “idolatry”. Since Maimonides* has ruled that Christians are idolaters, it is not difficult to see that the 102nd US Congress, and the numerous churchmen who promote submission to the Noahide Laws, wittingly or unwittingly, have laid the groundwork for the execution, at some future date, of authentic Christians, individually by trial before a rabbinic judge, or en masse. Conversely, Maimonides rules that all gentiles who are not followers of the Noachide Law are liable to death. Hilchot Melachim 8:10 states that any gentile who does not accept the Noachide laws should be slain, though this only applies when Judaics have “undisputed authority over Eretz Israel".
Michael Hoffman: Judaism Discovered, p. 498, with reference to Chaim Clorfene and Yaakov Rogalsky’s “The path of the righteous gentile: and introduction to the seven laws of the children of Noah”.
Within the scope of current events, it should be mentioned that the Jewish Encyclopedia envisages a Noahide regime as a possible world order immediately preceding the universal reign of the Talmud.

Now who was this Rabbi Menachem Schneerson character, the so-called “Lubavitcher Rebbe” and “King Messiah”, in whose honor Public Law 102-14 was passed and whose “contribution to civilization” is commemorated by the US government on 26 March? His followers saw him as God, or even above God:
Since the Rebbe was perfection personified, he is greater than any man that ever lived; ergo he is godly -- omnipotent, omniscient and unlimited [...] None have a problem with praying to Schneerson, using his books for divination in place of the Bible. Even amongst those viewed as moderates, the Rebbe is often substituted for God in normal conversation [...] Does this not idolize Schneerson, in the literal sense? We cannot connect to God directly -- we need the Rebbe to take our prayers from here to there and to help us in this world. We are told by our rabbis that a great man is like God and the Rebbe was the greatest man ever. That is how we know he is the Messiah, because how could life continue without him? No existence is possible without the Rebbe.
Saul Sadka, the Lubavitcher Rebbe as God, Haaretz, 12 Feb 2007; quoted in Judaism Discovered, p. 300.
On 22 August 1991, the New York Times ran a full-page ad suggesting Schneerson was a miracle maker responsible for the fall of Communism, the victory in the first Gulf War, the mass exodus of Russian Judaics and even “unity among people, domestic harmony and cessation of hostilities between the races”. The only flaw of those people is their frigging modesty!

Without wasting too much time on the not-so-godly attributes of Schneerson, it may be recalled that he repeatedly said Hitler was God’s instrument of righteous wrath, punishing the Judaics who had given up the Talmud and quit Judaism. The corollary of this was, as understood by some of Schneerson’s disciples, the forced move of European Judaics to the Israeli state in the making.

---------------------------------------------
* Moses Maimonides is widely hailed as a “cultured Judaic intellectual and philosopher-prince, fount of reason and lofty thinking” (Hoffman’s words). We all know how these ‘icons of mankind’ are fabricated and kept alive by diligent marketeers. Maimonides’ image of wisdom, benevolence and tolerance is quickly evaporated by a careful reading of his uncensored writings. I will come back to this in another post.
glg

Unread post by glg »

What a marvel:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiMCD1Wayy4

The Telegraph or whomever (except for Al-Jazeera or Associated press) has captured for us a balcony view of the theater which is to unfold (see Thumbnail above)
From the other side though, where we come to be seated, things are not less stunning (watch video).
Those are some marvelously guided missile shots, don't you think?
As if by controlled demo crews, which of course it is not because it is an airstrike, but as if by controlled demolition crews, right?

Oh dear 2021 is nauseating and none of you can even imagine what tactics I have come up with to excuse it all even now, just to be able to essentially still mingle among so called thinking humans.
glg

Unread post by glg »

Oh dear 2021 is nauseating and none of you can even imagine what tactics I have come up with to excuse it all even now, just to be able to essentially still mingle among so called thinking humans.
Turns out I may not have been thinking on this one, yes this building was a ¨show¨ maneuver, but unlike Israels IRON DOME fireworks show, may have actually been a real air strike. They are doing target practice on that city and I was wrong here mocking the stresses those inhabitants there must be going through.
patrix

Unread post by patrix »

It's another version of psychological warfare to create confusion and divide and conquer glg. Do real air strike and air fake one showing a controlled demolition so that people knowing there was an airstrike will argue with those saying the imagery is fake.
glg

Unread post by glg »

patrix wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:57 am It's another version of psychological warfare to create confusion and divide and conquer glg. Do real air strike and air fake one showing a controlled demolition so that people knowing there was an airstrike will argue with those saying the imagery is fake.
Yes, well I knew that this one was announced beforehand, it just looked odd to me, very precise until I saw that it took them four or five missiles to bring that building down. But you are right, yet the psychological part seems to me, them pretending that they are very careful about just hitting their Hamas stooges otherwise giving fair warning and being, well precise in their hits. On the other hand.. they also just don't seem to give a shit, probably cause the media is way down in their pockets and of course their history, that's just more expensive then even money could buy.
Actually though I never have the intention to put any short words on that subject and therefore I was just simply wrong in my assessment here above.
thisisunreal

Unread post by thisisunreal »

Dear observers of the grim cyclical Israeli Palestine ethnic cleansing....I wonder what the consensus is?

Are we saying the videos which we examine of the downed towers are real as to me they look entirely fabricated.

Since having been, 'clues forum orientated' I would have suggested that modern warfare is not safe enough to be shown live or even pre-recorded, just in case something escapes the attention of the censor. In addition, I think there is good value in showing entirely CGI. It allows you to test people's feedback through social media. What percentage perceive anything wrong with it?

To my mind, one of the methods used to distract the casual observer has been increasingly to turn the broadcasts into media pieces, with narration and textual overlays on top to give a greater range of mental stimulii and lesser chance of focussing on the main point...the authenticity of the visuals. I tend to watch everything on mute as it allows more mental space.

I'd be curious to know whether people are accepting this / these downings as genuine or another composite or creation.
glg

Unread post by glg »

thisisunreal wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:21 pm Dear observers of the grim cyclical Israeli Palestine ethnic cleansing....I wonder what the consensus is?

Are we saying the videos which we examine of the downed towers are real as to me they look entirely fabricated.

Since having been, 'clues forum orientated' I would have suggested that modern warfare is not safe enough to be shown live or even pre-recorded, just in case something escapes the attention of the censor. In addition, I think there is good value in showing entirely CGI. It allows you to test people's feedback through social media. What percentage perceive anything wrong with it?

To my mind, one of the methods used to distract the casual observer has been increasingly to turn the broadcasts into media pieces, with narration and textual overlays on top to give a greater range of mental stimulii and lesser chance of focussing on the main point...the authenticity of the visuals. I tend to watch everything on mute as it allows more mental space.

I'd be curious to know whether people are accepting this / these downings as genuine or another composite or creation.
Dear thisisunreal
I sure hate flip flopping on things, but as I already did, I won't add any further final thought on this issue except to say I found a purported live screening of the event and it is by Al-Jazeera who allegedly occupied some of that building. It seems to me a bit unfortunate on the part of the cameramen that they missed to capture the plane which supposedly issued the airstrike, that's all.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao443imhwIc
simonshack
Administrator

Alright, my dear friends...

So I've been briefly analyzing that Al-Jazeera "Live broadcast" - what with that "11-story building (housing AP and Al-Jazeera offices) being demolished by Israeli strikes"...

I won't waste too much of your time, folks - so here's my preliminary verdict: this is once again total CGI. And some very silly CGI too ! -_-

So, as we see the building being struck (at 15:40 in the above video), we have some camera shake going on... and some sort of window-frame pops out of an adjacent building (rather distant from the 'bomb strike'). Check it out:

As I see it (and in my humble opinion) some idiot CGI-editor added this absurd window-frame-pop-out for 'dramatic effect'.

I may be wrong - but I may be right. Thoughts, anyone? Will anyone argue that this lone window-frame popping out of that adjacent building looks in any way realistic (i.e. something that may well happen in the real world) ?
simonshack
Administrator

And pray tell, just WHY would the top section of that building collapse FIRST - all on its own? (in the matter of ONE second?). What sort of physics are we looking at?

These two frames are separated by ONE second:

Oh well, I guess the CGI collapse of WTC7 shown on TV (back in September 2001) was even sillier...

We live in a very silly world, folks - that much is for sure. -_-
thisisunreal

Unread post by thisisunreal »

glg wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:41 pm
thisisunreal wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:21 pm Dear observers of the grim cyclical Israeli Palestine ethnic cleansing....I wonder what the consensus is?

Dear thisisunreal
I sure hate flip flopping on things, but as I already did, I won't add any further final thought on this issue except to say I found a purported live screening of the event and it is by Al-Jazeera who allegedly occupied some of that building. It seems to me a bit unfortunate on the part of the cameramen that they missed to capture the plane which supposedly issued the airstrike, that's all.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao443imhwIc
Dear glg, thanks for the response.

Good point well made. The absence of the plane essentially 'missses' the true value of the 'action' shot!

I felt the videography looked absurd, but was curious to get a sense from other members!

Before I bumped into September Clues, I would have guessed that the ratio of reality to unreality were about 95:5. Nowadays, I would flip that. One wonders, to what degree is anything we see in any way representative, if at all, real!

The other aspect of this tumble down story that amazes me is the extent of the control that exists in the system. Almost every media 'somebody' has been interviewed on the topic and given their piece to camera about how awful it is to live beside those naughty Palestinians! The scripted, desired propaganda is more or less, practically inescapable. Or, to put another way...., another opinion cannot be expressed within the limits of the system!

Warmest