Psychiatry

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
ICfreely

Re: Psychiatry

Unread post by ICfreely »

Very interesting/informative posts and observations, Mansur!
Dyslexia

I am saying nothing regarding my own experiences with dyslexia. I have had none. I have, however, been a teacher of students with 'learning' difficulties and observable physical disabilities for many mature years.

Just to clarify, I didn’t mean to imply that I don’t believe in mental/physical disabilities. I just don’t believe “dyslexia” is a “learning disability.” Taking into consideration what kids are being taught these days I think that having a “learning disability” might actually be an advantage. Anyway, I have no teaching experience at all so I really can’t speak on it. Your line of work is truly a noble calling. My hat’s off to you, my good sir!
I beg you to take a look at this excellent documentary from the U.K. 'Dispatches' programme. It should answer a number of questions besides that of 'dyslexia'.

I made a VHS copy years ago but I see some-one has posted one to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lrAQedApVg

It’s funny (odd) how angry some of the parents & teachers get at the thought of “dyslexia” possibly being a myth. I find nothing wrong with the adorable kids in that documentary, dear Sharpstuff. I see nothing stopping them from living happy, fulfilling and productive lives.

(Un)learning disability : recognizing and changing restrictive views of student ability - AnnMarie Darrow Baines (2014)

"How do high school students confront and resolve conflicting messages about their intelligence and academic potential, particularly when labelled with social and learning disabilities? How does disability become disablement when negative attitudes and disparaging perceptions of ability position students as outsiders? Following the lives of adolescents at home as well as in and out of school, the author makes visible the disabling language, contextual arrangements, and unconscious social practices that restrict learning regardless of special education services. She also showcases how young people resist disablement to transform their worlds and pursue pathways most important to them. Educators can use this important resource to recognise and change disabling practices that are often taken for granted as a natural part of schooling"--Publisher's description.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/unlearni ... /863632709
There is no objection to studying how human minds work but they must be all conjecture, however presented. Interesting but not to make money from, the essence of peddling all these 'theories' (a.k.a. fictional stories, like I must say, having a museum of Sherlock Holmes' 'artifacts' as though they were (as the character) real!).

Agreed, dear Sarpstuff.
One of our problems when discussing contentious subjects with others (about all sorts or 'established' notions) is that they are so firmly entrenched and been so 'fashioned' that even compos mentis posters here find it difficult to face up to the fact that they have been (and apparently continue to be) hoodwinked par excellence.
perhaps it's due to some sort of “unlearning disability”? :P

Consider the following article:
The Art of Unlearning
Scott H. Young
April, 2018

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.” – Mark Twain

Most people think about learning as adding knowledge and skills. When you learn French, you learn that the word, avoir means “to have.” You now have a new fact in your mind that didn’t exist before.

Adding knowledge like this, I’d like to argue, is actually the less important case. The most useful learning isn’t usually a strict addition of new knowledge, but first unlearning something false or unhelpful.

Types of Unlearning

Other times new knowledge revises a simpler picture by filling it with more complex details. This is similar to adding new knowledge, although because the older, simpler view of the issue has been overwritten with more detail, there is some unlearning going on. When Albert Einstein discovered :rolleyes: special relativity, this overthrew Isaac Newton’s laws of motion. However, this wasn’t a complete refutation, but a modification—Newton’s laws still hold approximately in areas where near light-speed or extreme gravitation aren’t issues.

In all of these cases, however, you have to first let go of something you thought you understood to make way for a new understanding. This isn’t always easy to do.

Difficulties Unlearning

The first challenge of unlearning is that when something contradicts your current understanding, you are likely to dismiss it. This may be adaptive in a world where many of the things people say or information you encounter are false, or lies constructed to manipulate you. Things that you don’t currently believe are, ceteris paribus, more likely to be false. However, this confirmation bias can make it harder to unlearn when that’s valuable to you.

What is Strange?

Almost everything is much, much weirder than it looks at first. Science is the clearest example of this. Subatomic particles aren’t billiard balls, but strange, complex-valued wavefunctions. Bodies aren’t vital fluids and animating impulses, but trillions of cells, each more complex than any machine humans have invented. Minds aren’t unified loci of consciousness, but the process of countless synapses firing in incredible patterns.

Science confirms the underlying weirdness, but for most people, knowing science is another kind of stamp collecting. Knowing quantum strangeness doesn’t overlap with most areas of practical life, so it can be an additional fact or idea one knows and can bring out in conversations.

How to Unlearn Things

One way to begin unlearning is to seek additive knowledge in familiar areas and then use that new knowledge to start pulling up and modifying old knowledge. For me, learning about psychology and cognitive science often had this effect: I would start with a particular belief that seemed reasonable about myself, and then digging deeper, I would encounter careful arguments that showed why those beliefs were probably false. From that point of tension, I could start reworking some of my old beliefs.

This approach can work, but it’s difficult and it requires a lot more patience for theory and academic learning than most people have an appetite for. Another approach is to seek other people’s experiences of the world. Other people may not give you *the* theory for understanding the world, but the more diverse their experiences are from yours, the more likely they are situated in a different position in the space of life possibilities and how their lives differ from your expectations can itself give you information about your own thinking.

Being Comfortable with Mystery

A good meta-belief to this whole unlearning endeavor is to be comfortable with the idea that everything you know is provisional, and that underneath what you know is likely a more complex and stranger picture.

Human beings seem to be naturally afraid of this groundless view of things. I’m not quite sure why that is. It may be that this kind of epistemic flexibility might start to question societal norms and rules of conduct, and so people who think too much about things may have an amoral character. That’s certainly the perspective of many traditional religious viewpoints on things, which discourages open-ended inquiry in favor of professing allegiance to dogma.

https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2018/0 ... nlearning/

Religions like Scientism that promote Sir Isaac, St. Einstein, subatomic particles, Cell Theory… I wonder how Scott Young would react to the topics discussed on this forum. I would love for him to put his art of unlearning to the test here.

The central (i.e. the real or actual) question of modern psychology is the psychology of the psychologist.

Bravo. You hit the nail on the head, Mansur.

Fears Grow Over Academic Efforts to Normalize Pedophilia
Steve Brown

"When U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was an attorney for the ACLU, she co-authored a report recommending that the age of consent for sexual acts be lowered to 12 years of age," the article points out.

Knight and York's footnoted documentation on this is as follows: "Sex Bias in the U.S. Code," Report for the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, April 1977, p. 102, quoted in "Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Feminist World View," The Phyllis Schlafly Report, Vol. 26, No. 12, Section 1, p. 3. The paragraph (from the Ginsburg report) reads as follows: "'Eliminate the phrase "carnal knowledge of any female, not his wife, who has not attained the age of 16 years" and substitute a federal, sex-neutral definition of the offense. ... A person is guilty of an offense if he engages in a sexual act with another person. ... [and] the other person is, in fact, less than 12 years old.'"

LaRue said pedophiles may co-opt language used in the Lawrence decision regarding homosexuals; that laws against their behavior are a discriminatory attempt to harm them as a persecuted minority. And they will be supported, she claimed, by academia.

Reclassifying pedophilia already subject to debate

During its annual convention in May, the American Psychiatric Association hosted a symposium discussing the removal of pedophilia along with other categories of mental illness (collectively known as paraphilia) from its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).

https://www.crosswalk.com/1208899/

Would it be "anti-Semitic" or "sexist" of me to call RBG a sick/twisted/despicable Talmudic shyster?
ICfreely

Very interesting/informative posts and observations, Mansur!
Dyslexia

I am saying nothing regarding my own experiences with dyslexia. I have had none. I have, however, been a teacher of students with 'learning' difficulties and observable physical disabilities for many mature years.

Just to clarify, I didn’t mean to imply that I don’t believe in mental/physical disabilities. I just don’t believe “dyslexia” is a “learning disability.” Taking into consideration what kids are being taught these days I think that having a “learning disability” might actually be an advantage. Anyway, I have no teaching experience at all so I really can’t speak on it. Your line of work is truly a noble calling. My hat’s off to you, my good sir!
I beg you to take a look at this excellent documentary from the U.K. 'Dispatches' programme. It should answer a number of questions besides that of 'dyslexia'.

I made a VHS copy years ago but I see some-one has posted one to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lrAQedApVg

It’s funny (odd) how angry some of the parents & teachers get at the thought of “dyslexia” possibly being a myth. I find nothing wrong with the adorable kids in that documentary, dear Sharpstuff. I see nothing stopping them from living happy, fulfilling and productive lives.

(Un)learning disability : recognizing and changing restrictive views of student ability - AnnMarie Darrow Baines (2014)

"How do high school students confront and resolve conflicting messages about their intelligence and academic potential, particularly when labelled with social and learning disabilities? How does disability become disablement when negative attitudes and disparaging perceptions of ability position students as outsiders? Following the lives of adolescents at home as well as in and out of school, the author makes visible the disabling language, contextual arrangements, and unconscious social practices that restrict learning regardless of special education services. She also showcases how young people resist disablement to transform their worlds and pursue pathways most important to them. Educators can use this important resource to recognise and change disabling practices that are often taken for granted as a natural part of schooling"--Publisher's description.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/unlearni ... /863632709
There is no objection to studying how human minds work but they must be all conjecture, however presented. Interesting but not to make money from, the essence of peddling all these 'theories' (a.k.a. fictional stories, like I must say, having a museum of Sherlock Holmes' 'artifacts' as though they were (as the character) real!).

Agreed, dear Sarpstuff.
One of our problems when discussing contentious subjects with others (about all sorts or 'established' notions) is that they are so firmly entrenched and been so 'fashioned' that even compos mentis posters here find it difficult to face up to the fact that they have been (and apparently continue to be) hoodwinked par excellence.
perhaps it's due to some sort of “unlearning disability”? :P

Consider the following article:
The Art of Unlearning
Scott H. Young
April, 2018

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.” – Mark Twain

Most people think about learning as adding knowledge and skills. When you learn French, you learn that the word, avoir means “to have.” You now have a new fact in your mind that didn’t exist before.

Adding knowledge like this, I’d like to argue, is actually the less important case. The most useful learning isn’t usually a strict addition of new knowledge, but first unlearning something false or unhelpful.

Types of Unlearning

Other times new knowledge revises a simpler picture by filling it with more complex details. This is similar to adding new knowledge, although because the older, simpler view of the issue has been overwritten with more detail, there is some unlearning going on. When Albert Einstein discovered :rolleyes: special relativity, this overthrew Isaac Newton’s laws of motion. However, this wasn’t a complete refutation, but a modification—Newton’s laws still hold approximately in areas where near light-speed or extreme gravitation aren’t issues.

In all of these cases, however, you have to first let go of something you thought you understood to make way for a new understanding. This isn’t always easy to do.

Difficulties Unlearning

The first challenge of unlearning is that when something contradicts your current understanding, you are likely to dismiss it. This may be adaptive in a world where many of the things people say or information you encounter are false, or lies constructed to manipulate you. Things that you don’t currently believe are, ceteris paribus, more likely to be false. However, this confirmation bias can make it harder to unlearn when that’s valuable to you.

What is Strange?

Almost everything is much, much weirder than it looks at first. Science is the clearest example of this. Subatomic particles aren’t billiard balls, but strange, complex-valued wavefunctions. Bodies aren’t vital fluids and animating impulses, but trillions of cells, each more complex than any machine humans have invented. Minds aren’t unified loci of consciousness, but the process of countless synapses firing in incredible patterns.

Science confirms the underlying weirdness, but for most people, knowing science is another kind of stamp collecting. Knowing quantum strangeness doesn’t overlap with most areas of practical life, so it can be an additional fact or idea one knows and can bring out in conversations.

How to Unlearn Things

One way to begin unlearning is to seek additive knowledge in familiar areas and then use that new knowledge to start pulling up and modifying old knowledge. For me, learning about psychology and cognitive science often had this effect: I would start with a particular belief that seemed reasonable about myself, and then digging deeper, I would encounter careful arguments that showed why those beliefs were probably false. From that point of tension, I could start reworking some of my old beliefs.

This approach can work, but it’s difficult and it requires a lot more patience for theory and academic learning than most people have an appetite for. Another approach is to seek other people’s experiences of the world. Other people may not give you *the* theory for understanding the world, but the more diverse their experiences are from yours, the more likely they are situated in a different position in the space of life possibilities and how their lives differ from your expectations can itself give you information about your own thinking.

Being Comfortable with Mystery

A good meta-belief to this whole unlearning endeavor is to be comfortable with the idea that everything you know is provisional, and that underneath what you know is likely a more complex and stranger picture.

Human beings seem to be naturally afraid of this groundless view of things. I’m not quite sure why that is. It may be that this kind of epistemic flexibility might start to question societal norms and rules of conduct, and so people who think too much about things may have an amoral character. That’s certainly the perspective of many traditional religious viewpoints on things, which discourages open-ended inquiry in favor of professing allegiance to dogma.

https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2018/0 ... nlearning/

Religions like Scientism that promote Sir Isaac, St. Einstein, subatomic particles, Cell Theory… I wonder how Scott Young would react to the topics discussed on this forum. I would love for him to put his art of unlearning to the test here.

The central (i.e. the real or actual) question of modern psychology is the psychology of the psychologist.

Bravo. You hit the nail on the head, Mansur.

Fears Grow Over Academic Efforts to Normalize Pedophilia
Steve Brown

"When U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was an attorney for the ACLU, she co-authored a report recommending that the age of consent for sexual acts be lowered to 12 years of age," the article points out.

Knight and York's footnoted documentation on this is as follows: "Sex Bias in the U.S. Code," Report for the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, April 1977, p. 102, quoted in "Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Feminist World View," The Phyllis Schlafly Report, Vol. 26, No. 12, Section 1, p. 3. The paragraph (from the Ginsburg report) reads as follows: "'Eliminate the phrase "carnal knowledge of any female, not his wife, who has not attained the age of 16 years" and substitute a federal, sex-neutral definition of the offense. ... A person is guilty of an offense if he engages in a sexual act with another person. ... [and] the other person is, in fact, less than 12 years old.'"

LaRue said pedophiles may co-opt language used in the Lawrence decision regarding homosexuals; that laws against their behavior are a discriminatory attempt to harm them as a persecuted minority. And they will be supported, she claimed, by academia.

Reclassifying pedophilia already subject to debate

During its annual convention in May, the American Psychiatric Association hosted a symposium discussing the removal of pedophilia along with other categories of mental illness (collectively known as paraphilia) from its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).

https://www.crosswalk.com/1208899/

Would it be "anti-Semitic" or "sexist" of me to call RBG a sick/twisted/despicable Talmudic shyster?
ICfreely

Heavenly dreams or hellish nightmares?

You be the judge.

Joseph: King of Dreams (2000)

Dreamworks SKG

Storyline

When Joseph receives a beautiful coat from his parents, his ten brothers hate him even more, and are driven to sell him to desert merchants, who take him to Egypt. There he is made the servant of a wealthy Egyptian who misunderstands him, and has him thrown into prison. He shows his God-given gift by interpreting the dreams of two other prisoners. Eventually, the Pharaoh begins to be plagued by dreams, and sends for Joseph, who interprets them and saves Egypt in the process. He is made second in command to Pharaoh, and has most of Egypt's grain stored. Eventually his brothers arrive in Egypt to buy food because of famine, and he must forgive them. Then the dreams that had angered his brothers, were in reality prophecies that had come from God.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264734/
The Interpretation of Dreams - Sigmund Freud (1913)

VI. The Dream-Work

…Another example deserves to be recorded in detail. A young man has a very distinct dream which recalls to him phantasies from his infancy which have remained conscious to him: he was in a summer hotel one evening, he mistook the number of his room, and entered a room in which an elderly lady and her two daughters were undressing to go to bed. He continues: “Then there are some gaps in the dream; then something is missing; and at the end there was a man in the room who wished to throw me out with whom I had to wrestle.” He endeavoured in vain to recall the content and purpose of the boyish fancy to which the dream apparently alludes. But we finally become aware that the required content had already been given in his utterances concerning the indistinct part of the dream. The “gaps” were the openings in the genitals of the women who were retiring: “Here something is missing” described the chief character of the female genitals. In those early years he burned with curiosity to see a female genital, and was still inclined to adhere to the infantile sexual theory which attributes a male genital to the woman.

All the dreams which have been dreamed in the same night belong to the same whole when considered with respect to their content; their separation into several portions, their grouping and number, all these details are full of meaning. and may be considered as information coming from the latent dream content. In the interpretation of dreams consisting of many principal sections, or of dreams belonging to the same night, one must not fail to think of the possibility that these different and succeeding dreams bring to expression the same feelings in different material. The one that comes first in time of these homologous dreams is usually the most disfigured and most bashful, while the succeeding is bolder and more distinct.

Even Pharaoh’s dream in the Bible of the ears and the kine, which Joseph interpreted, was of this kind. It is reported by Josephus (Antiquities of the Jews, bk. ii. chap. iii.) in greater detail than in the Bible. After relating the first dream, the King said: “When I had seen this vision I awaked out of my sleep, and being in disorder, and considering with myself what this appearance should be, I fell asleep again, and saw another dream much more wonderful than the first, which did still more affright and disturb me.” After listening to the report of the dream, Joseph said, “This dream, O King, although seen under two forms, signifies one and the same issue of things.”

Jung, 99 who, in his Beitrag zur Psychologie des Gerüchtes relates how the veiled erotic dream of a school-girl was understood by her friends without interpretation and continued by them with variations, remarks in connection with reports of this dream, “that the last of a long series of dream pictures contained precisely the same thought whose representation had been attempted in the first picture of the series. The censor pushed the complex out of the way as long as possible, through constantly renewed symbolic concealments, displacements, deviations into the harmless, &c.” (l.c. p. 87). Scherner 58 was well acquainted with the peculiarities of dream disfigurement and describes them at the end of his theory of organic stimulation as a special law, p. 166: “But, finally, the phantasy observes the general law in all nerve stimuli emanating from symbolic dream formations, by representing at the beginning of the dream only the remotest and freest allusions to the stimulating object; but towards the end, when the power of representation becomes exhausted, it presents the stimulus or its concerned organ or its function in unconcealed form, and in the way this dream designates its organic motive and reaches its end.”

https://www.bartleby.com/285/6.html
Joseph, Freud, and the interpretation of dreams – thoughts on Parshat Miketz
Joshua Gerstein
Nov 28, 2013

"And behold, from the Nile were coming up seven cows, of handsome appearance and robust flesh…. And behold, seven other cows were coming up after them from the Nile, of ugly appearance and lean of flesh… And the cows of ugly appearance and lean of flesh devoured the seven cows that were of handsome appearance and healthy; then Pharaoh awoke. And he fell asleep and dreamed again, and behold, seven ears of grain were growing on one stalk, healthy and good. And behold, seven ears of grain, thin and beaten by the east wind, were growing up after them. And the thin ears of grain swallowed up the seven healthy and full ears of grain; then Pharaoh awoke… (Genesis 40:1-7)"

…The question that arises from the above narrative is clear: why did Pharaoh accept the interpretation of Joseph –who up until this point had been an obscure and captive Hebrew slave — while disregarding all of collective wisdom of the necromancers and wise men of Egypt?

Dr Naftali Fish, a noted psychologist and author of the book “Nachas Ruach: Torah Based Psychotherapy and Tools for Growth and Healing,” gives a fascinating answer to this question based on a Torah perspective of Freudian psychology. This answer not only resolves the biblical text but also sheds light on the often overlooked cooperation between science and religion in everyday life…

We see that rather than fleeing from the knowledge and application of science, the Sages of Israel have chosen instead to embrace and join with it in the perfecting of humanity. When understood and applied properly, this partnership between religion and science can enrich and ennoble our lives.

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/joseph- ... at-miketz/
Empire of Dreams: The Science Fiction and Fantasy Films of Steven Spielberg - Andrew Gordon (2008)

In the 1970s and 1980s, along with George Lucas, Spielberg helped spark the renaissance of American SF and fantasy film, and he has remained highly productive and prominent in these genres ever since. SF, fantasy, and horror films form the bulk of his work for over thirty years; of the twenty-six theatrical features he directed from 1971 to 2005, sixteen are of these genres, a coherent and impressive body of work. His films have become part of a global consciousness and his cinematic style part of the visual vocabulary of world media. --from publisher description

https://books.google.com/books/about/Em ... escription

free online copy:
[Note the infusion of perverse Freudian concepts in all of Spielberg's films.]
https://issuu.com/stifanibross/docs/_andrew_m
ICfreely

Prior to posting a link to “Exodus Revisited” I checked to make sure it was good. As of February 15th, 2019 it was.

And wouldn’t cha know it all of a sudden up n’ vanished from the web. Chalk it up to Jungian synchronicity.

I sort of had a premonition that it would. Fortunately it can be found here in its entirety:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1222&p=2398294&hil ... d#p2398294

Freud and the Talmud: Sinning for the sake of Heaven
Monday, February 13, 2012
By Michael Hoffman

The Babylonian Talmud (BT) in tractate Kiddushin 40a begins with a teaching of Rabbi Chanina that,”It is preferable for a person to commit a sin in private and not desecrate the name of Heaven in public.”

The Talmud then asserts the teaching, ”If a person sees that their evil inclination is overcoming them they should go to a place where they are not known and cover themselves with black clothes and do the evil there.“

Many classic rabbinic authorities (Tosafot Toch and Tosafot HaRosh) acknowledge that this passage condones sinning.

Sin for the Sake of Heaven

The meaning of this rabbinic terminology is doing something that is clearly wrong (a sin) but with a good intention (for the sake of Heaven). (Cf. Steinsaltz Iyunim on Kiddushin 40a ad. loc).

This rabbinic teaching on a Sin for the Sake of Heaven recognizes that sinning may at times be necessary and if done sincerely, has legitimacy.

This wretched dogma permeated Judaic cuture and was inherited even by those Judaic persons who were not religious. We observe this Talmudic mentality reflected in Judaic activity in many fields such as politics (the "atheist” Judaic Bolsheviks) and in psychiatry, as pioneered by Sigmund Freud, who is reputed to have represented an enlightened liberal departure from staid traditions of the past.

Freud, however, did indeed imbibe the Talmudic traditions of his native culture, including the unscrupulous immorality which gave him a "heavenly" mandate to lie and cheat for the sake of a higher good (Sin for the sake of Heaven).

The late Dr. Frank Cioffi, professor of philosophy at England's University of Essex, stated that Freud imposed his ideas about sexuality and neuroses on his patients by voicing them though the stories of his patients, regardless of whether his patients actually told these stories.

Cioffi: "When he decided that neurosis was rooted in sexual fantasies about one's parents, for instance, Freud made certain his patients 'remembered' such fantasies, whether they really remembered them or not."

Cioffi furnished evidence of Freud’s dishonesty by quoting Freud’s own description of his justification for “constructing" his patients’ statements. The description can be found in the famous psychiatrist's authorized, three-volume biography, which contains the following statement by him:

"Quite often we do not succeed in bringing the patient to recollect what has been repressed. Instead we produce in him an assured conviction of the truth of the construction, which achieves the same therapeutic result as a recaptured memory." (Ernest Jones, The Life and Work of Sigmund Freud, Basic Books: 1981).

In other words, Freud was justified in tricking his patient into believing that Freud’s fabrication was the patient’s own reality because it achieved a "therapeutic result." While Freud would not employ theological terms, the spirit of his intellectual dishonesty emanated from a culture steeped in rabbinic dissimulation, in “sinning for the sake of Heaven.” By this means God is made an accomplice in the imposture.

For more on Freud and Judaism cf. Judaism's Strange Gods (2011), pp. 295-296.

https://revisionistreview.blogspot.com/ ... ke-of.html
Burden of Proof

Overview

Generally, describes the standard that a party seeking to prove a fact in court must satisfy to have that fact legally established. There are different standards in different circumstances. For example, in criminal cases, the burden of proving the defendant’s guilt is on the prosecution, and they must establish that fact beyond a reasonable doubt. In civil cases, the plaintiff has the burden of proving his case by a preponderance of the evidence. A "preponderance of the evidence" and "beyond a reasonable doubt" are different standards, requiring different amounts of proof.

The burden of proof is often said to consist of two distinct but related concepts: the burden of production, and the burden of persuasion.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/burden_of_proof
Shifting Burden of Proof

If that burden is met, the burden of proof then shifts to the defendant in the case, who now has to plead and prove any defense, by a preponderance of evidence…

https://courts.uslegal.com/burden-of-pr ... -of-proof/
ICfreely

The “opioid crisis”, much like the methamphetamine/cocaine addiction epidemic that currently plagues the U.S., can be directly traced back to psychiatric shysters. I hereby submit excerpts from the following Esquire article as “evidence” in order to "prove" my claim.

The Secretive Family Making Billions From the Opioid Crisis
You’re aware America is under siege, fighting an opioid crisis that has exploded into a public-health emergency. You’ve heard of OxyContin, the pain medication to which countless patients have become addicted. But do you know that the company that makes Oxy and reaps the billions of dollars in profits it generates is owned by one family?

By Christopher Glazek
Oct 16, 2017

The descendants of Mortimer and Raymond Sackler, a pair of psychiatrist brothers from Brooklyn, are members of a billionaire clan with homes scattered across Connecticut, London, Utah, Gstaad, the Hamptons, and, especially, New York City. It was not until 2015 that they were noticed by Forbes, which added them to the list of America’s richest families. The magazine pegged their wealth, shared among twenty heirs, at a conservative $14 billion. (Descendants of Arthur Sackler, Mortimer and Raymond’s older brother, split off decades ago and are mere multi-millionaires.) To a remarkable degree, those who share in the billions appear to have abided by an oath of omertà: Never comment publicly on the source of the family’s wealth.

That may be because the greatest part of that $14 billion fortune tallied by Forbes came from OxyContin, the narcotic painkiller regarded by many public-health experts as among the most dangerous products ever sold on a mass scale. Since 1996, when the drug was brought to market by Purdue Pharma, the American branch of the Sacklers’ pharmaceutical empire, more than two hundred thousand people in the United States have died from overdoses of OxyContin and other prescription painkillers. Thousands more have died after starting on a prescription opioid and then switching to a drug with a cheaper street price, such as heroin…

Even so, hardly anyone associates the Sackler name with their company’s lone blockbuster drug…’ And when they’re questioned, they say, ‘Well, it’s a privately held firm, we’re a family, we like to keep our privacy, you understand.’ ”

To the extent that the Sacklers have cultivated a reputation, it’s for being earnest healers, judicious stewards of scientific progress, and connoisseurs of old and beautiful things. Few are aware that during the crucial period of OxyContin’s development and promotion, Sackler family members actively led Purdue’s day-to-day affairs, filling the majority of its board slots and supplying top executives. By any assessment, the family’s leaders have pulled off three of the great marketing triumphs of the modern era: The first is selling OxyContin; the second is promoting the Sackler name; and the third is ensuring that, as far as the public is aware, the first and the second have nothing to do with one another.

… The Sackler brothers came from a family of Jewish immigrants in Flatbush, Brooklyn. Arthur was a headstrong and ambitious provider, setting the tone—and often choosing the path—for his younger brothers. After attending medical school on Arthur’s dime, Mortimer and Raymond followed him to jobs at the Creedmoor psychiatric hospital in Queens. There, they coauthored more than one hundred studies on the biochemical roots of mental illness. The brothers’ research was promising—they were among the first to identify a link between psychosis and the hormone cortisone—but their findings were mostly ignored by their professional peers, who, in keeping with the era, favored a Freudian model of mental illness.

Concurrent with his psychiatric work, Arthur Sackler made his name in pharmaceutical advertising, which at the time consisted almost exclusively of pitches from so-called “detail men” who sold drugs to doctors door-to-door. Arthur intuited that print ads in medical journals could have a revolutionary effect on pharmaceutical sales, especially given the excitement surrounding the “miracle drugs” of the 1950s—steroids, antibiotics, antihistamines, and psychotropics. In 1952, the same year that he and his brothers acquired Purdue, Arthur became the first adman to convince The Journal of the American Medical Association, one of the profession’s most august publications, to include a color advertorial brochure….

In the 1960s, Arthur was contracted by Roche to develop an advertising strategy for a new antianxiety medication called Valium. This posed a challenge, because the effects of the medication were nearly indistinguishable from those of Librium, another Roche tranquilizer that was already on the market. Arthur differentiated Valium by audaciously inflating its range of indications. Whereas Librium was sold as a treatment for garden- variety anxiety, Valium was positioned as an elixir for a problem Arthur christened “psychic tension.” According to his ads, psychic tension, the forebear of today’s “stress,” was the secret culprit behind a host of somatic conditions, including heartburn, gastrointestinal issues, insomnia, and restless-leg syndrome. The campaign was such a success that for a time Valium became America’s most widely prescribed medication—the first to reach more than $100 million in sales. Arthur, whose compensation depended on the volume of pills sold, was richly rewarded, and he later became one of the first inductees into the Medical Advertising Hall of Fame.

As the country was reexamining pain, Raymond’s eldest son, Richard Sackler, was searching for new applications for Purdue’s timed-release Contin system. “At all the meetings, that was a constant source of discussion—‘What else can we use the Contin system for?’ ” said Peter Lacouture, a senior director of clinical research at Purdue from 1991 to 2001. “And that’s where Richard would fire some ideas—maybe antibiotics, maybe chemotherapy—he was always out there digging.” Richard’s spitballing wasn’t idle blather. A trained physician, he treasured his role as a research scientist and appeared as an inventor on dozens of the company’s patents (though not on the patents for OxyContin). In the tradition of his uncle Arthur, Richard was also fascinated by sales messaging….

To effectively capitalize on the chronic-pain movement, Purdue knew it needed to move beyond MS Contin. “Morphine had a stigma,” said Riddle. “People hear the word and say, ‘Wait a minute, I’m not dying or anything.’ ” …

A common malapropism led to further advantage for Purdue. “Some people would call it oxy-codeine” instead of oxycodone, recalled Lacouture. “Codeine is very weak.” When Purdue eventually pleaded guilty to felony charges in 2007 for criminally “misbranding” OxyContin, it acknowledged exploiting doctors’ misconceptions about oxycodone’s strength. In court documents, the company said it was “well aware of the incorrect view held by many physicians that oxycodone was weaker than morphine” and “did not want to do anything ‘to make physicians think that oxycodone was stronger or equal to morphine’ or to ‘take any steps . . . that would affect the unique position that OxyContin’ ” held among physicians.

Purdue did not merely neglect to clear up confusion about the strength of OxyContin. As the company later admitted, it misleadingly promoted OxyContin as less addictive than older opioids on the market. In this deception, Purdue had a big assist from the FDA, which allowed the company to include an astonishing labeling claim in OxyContin’s package insert: “Delayed absorption, as provided by OxyContin tablets, is believed to reduce the abuse liability of a drug.”

The year after OxyContin’s release, Curtis Wright, the FDA examiner who approved the pharmaceutical’s original application, quit. After a stint at another pharmaceutical company, he began working for Purdue….

... As an internal strategy document put it, Purdue’s ambition was to “attach an emotional aspect to noncancer pain” so that doctors would feel pressure to “treat it more seriously and aggressively.” The company rebranded pain relief as a sacred right: a universal narcotic entitlement available not only to the terminally ill but to every American.

… By 2001, annual OxyContin sales had surged past $1 billion…

When the federal government finally stepped in, in 2007, it extracted historic terms of surrender from the company. Purdue pleaded guilty to felony charges, admitting that it had lied to doctors about OxyContin’s abuse potential. (The technical charge was “misbranding a drug with intent to defraud or mislead.”)…

No Sacklers were named in the 2007 suit. Indeed, the Sackler name appeared nowhere in the plea agreement, even though Richard had been one of the company’s top executives during most of the period covered by the settlement…

In 2010, Purdue executed a breathtaking pivot: Embracing the arguments critics had been making for years about OxyContin’s susceptibility to abuse... Purdue seized the occasion to rebrand itself as an industry leader in abuse-deterrent technology. The change of heart coincided with two developments: First, an increasing number of addicts, unable to afford OxyContin’s high street price, were turning to cheaper alternatives like heroin; second, OxyContin was nearing the end of its patents. Purdue suddenly argued that the drug it had been selling for nearly fifteen years was so prone to abuse that generic manufacturers should not be allowed to copy it.

On April 16, 2013, the day some of the key patents for OxyContin were scheduled to expire, the FDA followed Purdue’s lead, declaring that no generic versions of the original OxyContin formulation could be sold. The company had effectively won several additional years of patent protection for its golden goose.

But the children of OxyContin, its heirs and legatees, are many and various. The second- and third-generation descendants of Raymond and Mortimer Sackler spend their money in the ways we have come to expect from the not-so-idle rich. Notably, several have made children a focus of their business and philanthropic endeavors…

Holding fast to family tradition, Raymond’s and Mortimer’s heirs declined to be interviewed for this article. Instead, through a spokesperson, they put forward two decorated academics who have been on the receiving end of the family’s largesse: Phillip Sharp, the Nobel-prize-winning MIT geneticist, and Herbert Pardes, formerly the dean of faculty at Columbia University’s medical school and CEO of New York-Presbyterian Hospital…

The final assessment of the Sacklers’ global impact will take years to work out. In some places, though, they have already left their mark. In July, Raymond, the last remaining of the original Sackler brothers, died at ninety-seven. Over the years, he had won a British knighthood, been made an Officer of France’s Légion d’Honneur, and received one of the highest possible honors from the royal house of the Netherlands. One of his final accolades came in June 2013, when Anthony Monaco, the president of Tufts University, traveled to Purdue Pharma’s headquarters in Stamford to bestow an honorary doctorate… Addressing the crowd of intimates, Monaco praised his benefactor. “It would be impossible to calculate how many lives you have saved, how many scientific fields you have redefined, and how many new physicians, scientists, mathematicians, and engineers are doing important work as a result of your entrepreneurial spirit.” He concluded, “You are a world changer.”

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a ... oxycontin/
Kham
Admin

Unread post by Kham »

ICfreely,

Incredible article. Thanks for sharing.

Kham
Mansur

Unread post by Mansur »

ICfreely » February 23rd, 2019, 4:53 pm wrote:
Freud and the Talmud: Sinning for the sake of Heaven
Monday, February 13, 2012
By Michael Hoffman

The Babylonian Talmud (BT) in tractate Kiddushin 40a begins with a teaching of Rabbi Chanina that,”It is preferable for a person to commit a sin in private and not desecrate the name of Heaven in public.”

The Talmud then asserts the teaching, ”If a person sees that their evil inclination is overcoming them they should go to a place where they are not known and cover themselves with black clothes and do the evil there.“

Many classic rabbinic authorities (Tosafot Toch and Tosafot HaRosh) acknowledge that this passage condones sinning.

Sin for the Sake of Heaven

The meaning of this rabbinic terminology is doing something that is clearly wrong (a sin) but with a good intention (for the sake of Heaven). (Cf. Steinsaltz Iyunim on Kiddushin 40a ad. loc).

This rabbinic teaching on a Sin for the Sake of Heaven recognizes that sinning may at times be necessary and if done sincerely, has legitimacy.

This wretched dogma permeated Judaic cuture and was inherited even by those Judaic persons who were not religious. We observe this Talmudic mentality reflected in Judaic activity in many fields such as politics (the "atheist” Judaic Bolsheviks) and in psychiatry, as pioneered by Sigmund Freud, who is reputed to have represented an enlightened liberal departure from staid traditions of the past.

Freud, however, did indeed imbibe the Talmudic traditions of his native culture, including the unscrupulous immorality which gave him a "heavenly" mandate to lie and cheat for the sake of a higher good (Sin for the sake of Heaven).

The late Dr. Frank Cioffi, professor of philosophy at England's University of Essex, stated that Freud imposed his ideas about sexuality and neuroses on his patients by voicing them though the stories of his patients, regardless of whether his patients actually told these stories.

Cioffi: "When he decided that neurosis was rooted in sexual fantasies about one's parents, for instance, Freud made certain his patients 'remembered' such fantasies, whether they really remembered them or not."

Cioffi furnished evidence of Freud’s dishonesty by quoting Freud’s own description of his justification for “constructing" his patients’ statements. The description can be found in the famous psychiatrist's authorized, three-volume biography, which contains the following statement by him:

"Quite often we do not succeed in bringing the patient to recollect what has been repressed. Instead we produce in him an assured conviction of the truth of the construction, which achieves the same therapeutic result as a recaptured memory." (Ernest Jones, The Life and Work of Sigmund Freud, Basic Books: 1981).

In other words, Freud was justified in tricking his patient into believing that Freud’s fabrication was the patient’s own reality because it achieved a "therapeutic result." While Freud would not employ theological terms, the spirit of his intellectual dishonesty emanated from a culture steeped in rabbinic dissimulation, in “sinning for the sake of Heaven.” By this means God is made an accomplice in the imposture.

For more on Freud and Judaism cf. Judaism's Strange Gods (2011), pp. 295-296.

https://revisionistreview.blogspot.com/ ... ke-of.html
I think the demonization of the Talmud is a deliberate psyop, part of the “anti-Semitism” businesses.

In that post (of Hoffman) seems a screwed logic at work, maybe just of the same kind which he calls "Talmudic mentality". But I do not know, maybe he assumes the knowledge of his book (or books) to which I have no access (financially).

But I think that even a single superficial perusing of the Talmudic place in question would make it clear that the interpretation Hoffman suggests is as arbitrary as it can be (maybe he reads the original old Hebrew…) Every reader (of good intention) will get there the problem or the problem... and will forget all "interpretation".

Sin is sin, and it is a problem (to put it in a modern word). The whole conception is of course of Jewish origin, but Christianity adopted it, - though it takes almost no part in the Gospels, - and treated it in her own way. (Even Luther used the phrase of “tapfer sündigen”, without becoming “Talmudic” even in the slightest, and surely everyone will recall citations in abundance both before and after Luther’s time to the same effect. It is practice [this “Sin for the Sake of Heaven”] and not a teaching or a doctrine! Maybe a practical approach to the doctrine -- i.e. to the Scripture in the case of the Jews, and I think no Talmudic passage has any meaning or legitimacy without this living connection to The Book. So what would it mean to interpret an interpretation --- of an interpretation?)

Psychoanalysis may be regarded as a natural or even necessary outcome of that tendency of modern mentality which tends to shift the problem of sin to the territory of biology so to speak (or to science in general, "your mind is in your brain" etc.) and won't be afraid of anything in its desperate enterprise showing / pretending that the solution (or salvation) is at their reach.

And why not, by the way, to speak simply about Pharisees or pharisaism or hypocrisy instead of “Talmudic monsters”?
ICfreely

Mansur wrote:I think the demonization of the Talmud is a deliberate psyop, part of the “anti-Semitism” businesses.

I think, in this day and age, criticizing the actions of the Israeli government or any Jewish person (religious or secular) is part of the “anti-Semitism” businesses. Meanwhile, criticizing any other government or peoples by Jews or Gentiles is just normal discourse. ALL human beings are capable of good/evil. Why should any particular group (Jew or Gentile) be beyond reproach? I don’t like the double standard.

As for the Talmud:

Misquoting the Talmud

I recently stumbled on an anti-Semitic website and they had a whole list of Talmud sayings that sound very non-PC. One example was: "It is permitted to marry a 3-year-old girl," which they said means that Judaism condones sexual abuse of a young child. Another example was: "The best of the Gentiles, kill." Does the Talmud really say this stuff?

The Aish Rabbi Replies:

Misquoting Talmudic texts or taking them out of context is an age-old method used to incite anti-Semitism.
In the example that you cite, that a Jew may marry a 3-year-old girl, it simply means that under the age of 3, a "marriage" contract has no validity. The Talmud is discussing a technical legal point, not condoning abhorrent sexual activities.

As for: "The best of the gentiles, kill," the context here is very crucial. The question was raised, how could there be any horses chasing after the Jews with chariots (in Exodus 14:7), when they were all killed in the plague of hail (Exodus 9:19). The Midrash (Tanchuma – Beshalach 8) answers that the horses were owned by those who heeded God's warnings and locked his animals indoors (Exodus 9:20).

The Midrash concludes that these God-fearing Egyptians -- the best Egyptians – turned out to be the ones that gave their horses to chase the Jewish people. In other words, in this particular instance, even the best Egyptians also turned out to be oppressors. So even they – "the best of the gentiles" – were deserving of death.

The Torah states unequivocally that ALL men were created in the image of God (Genesis 1:27). In fact, the Talmud emphasizes that Adam was created from the dust of all four corners of the earth (so to speak), so that no one nation could claim superiority. And of course, it is forbidden for a Jew to kill a Gentile. (source: Talmud Sanhedrin 57a; "Taz" Y.D. 158:1).

So you see, one can change the meaning of anything by taking it out of context. And better not to waste time refuting these points one by one. God's Torah is morally perfect, and if something ever sounds otherwise, it is because it is not understood properly.

https://www.aish.com/atr/Misquoting_the_Talmud.html

Not properly understood?

1) What exactly is the “technical legal point” that the “Talmud is discussing” here? I haven’t the slightest clue and the Aish Rabbi doesn’t elaborate or clarify. So what are we to make of it?

2) The Aish Rabbi, IMO, talks out of both sides of his mouth when he states:

“…it is forbidden for a Jew to kill a Gentile. (source: Talmud Sanhedrin 57a; "Taz" Y.D. 158:1).”
“So even they – "the best of the gentiles" – were deserving of death.”

Is it forbidden for a Jew to persuade a Gentile to kill a Gentile according to Talmudic Sages?

“Thou shalt not Kill” is pretty straight forward if you ask me. All the Jewish, Christian and Muslim leaders who try to justify killing in the context of war make me sick.

“War is organised murder and nothing else…”
-Harry Patch

3) “So you see, one can change the meaning of anything by taking it out of context.”

And that’s exactly what far too many Rabbis have done throughout the ages. For instance, Rabbis have attached the label “Amalekite” to Assyrians, Armenians, Persians, Egyptians, Russians, Palestinians, Germans, etc… to justify wars and organized murders.

Mansur wrote:And why not, by the way, to speak simply about Pharisees or pharisaism or hypocrisy instead of “Talmudic monsters”?
The Talmud (/ˈtɑːlmʊd, -məd, ˈtæl-/; Hebrew: תַּלְמוּד talmūd) is the central text of Rabbinic Judaism and the primary source of Jewish religious law (halakha) and Jewish theology.[1][2][3] Until the advent of modernity, in nearly all Jewish communities, the Talmud was the centerpiece of Jewish cultural life and was foundational to "all Jewish thought and aspirations", serving also as "the guide for the daily life" of Jews.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talmud

I get you point, dear Mansur, but I’m afraid regardless of what term is used one will still be accused of being an “anti-Semite.”

Israeli minister called accusation of “anti-Semitism” a “trick” to silence criticism of Israel

Often when there is dissent expressed in the United States against policies of the Israeli government, people here are called anti-Semitic. What is your response to that as an Israeli Jew?

Shulamit Aloni: Well, it’s a trick, we always use it. When from Europe somebody is criticizing Israel, then we bring up the Holocaust. When in this country people are criticizing Israel, then they are anti-Semitic. And the organization is strong, and has a lot of money, and the ties between Israel and the American Jewish establishment are very strong and they are strong in this country, as you know. And they have power…

https://israelpalestinenews.org/israeli ... ael-video/

They're trying to pass laws in the West to equate "anti-Zionism" with "anti-Semitism" now. And of course if any Jew dares open his/her mouth they’ll be accused of being a “self-hating Jew.” While we're at it, seeing as Arabs and Assyrians are Semites why should Jews (especially the Ashkenazim) have a monopoly on that word? Are they the only Semites who matter? Are the Ashkenazim Semites?

Mansur wrote:Sin is sin, and it is a problem (to put it in a modern word). The whole conception is of course of Jewish origin...

It's a universal concept that predates Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Mithraism, etc...

Mansur wrote:(Even Luther used the phrase of “tapfer sündigen”, without becoming “Talmudic” even in the slightest, and surely everyone will recall citations in abundance both before and after Luther’s time to the same effect.

Ah yes, Martin Luther. The man who penned:
Von den Juden und Ihren Lügen
https://www.prchiz.pl/pliki/Luther_On_Jews.pdf

I’ll stop here because I don’t want to derail this thread. I’d rather stay on topic and focus on shysters like Sigmund Freud’s nephew - Edward “the father of public relations (propaganda)” Bernays.

Hitler’s Nazi Germany Used an American PR Agency
The Third Reich found an American ally in the 'honored' public relations firm Carl Byoir & Associates
By Ronn Torossian • 12/22/14
https://observer.com/2014/12/hitlers-na ... pr-agency/

P.S.

The main reason I used that Hoffman article was to bring attention to Sigmund Freud, in his own words, admitting to being a faker, manipulator, con-artist, liar...

P.P.S.

Here’s a link for anyone interested in studying the Talmud (Daf Yomi).
Myth and Meaning
In this week’s ‘Daf Yomi’ Talmud study, the ancient rabbis take personal ownership of their Torah interpretations, as they map the spaces that separate the holy from the mundane
By Adam Kirsch

In this week’s Daf Yomi reading, in Zevachim 48a, the Gemara introduced a concept that helps to illuminate the worldview of the rabbis. A certain teaching, we read, “is dear to the tanna”: he has a special attachment to a particular point of law. And the reason is that this point is “derived through interpretation”: that is, it is not stated explicitly in the Torah, but has to be worked out by the rabbis themselves. Evidently, the rabbis had a particular fondness for laws that they had to figure out on their own, and liked to teach such laws first, because they were “dear.” I found this a moving idea, since it shows how the rabbis invested their feelings (and their egos) in what might seem like an abstract or technical process of legal reasoning. A tanna who solved a problem must have felt a certain pride of ownership in it, the way a mathematician might feel about an especially difficult proof.

https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-a ... -241-tanna

It's all relative (in the Einsteinian sense of the word). The "Great Sages" have the leeway to fake it up as they go along. They even have annual conferences to where they gather to advise G-d on worldly affairs. :wacko:
Mansur

Unread post by Mansur »

ICfreely » March 6th, 2019, 6:12 am wrote:ALL human beings are capable of good/evil. Why should any particular group (Jew or Gentile) be beyond reproach? I don’t like the double standard.
And why should any individual (and especially groups of individuals!) be reproached at all?

There is I think only one kind of reproach having any sense in reality, i.e. that which makes one against oneself. The “deeds of good intention” come out from this source and can come out from nowhere else. (IMHO the thought can be applied greatly to medical issues, and not only to “Seelenkunde”.)

- - - - - - -
ICfreely » March 6th, 2019, 6:12 am wrote:
Mansur wrote: Sin is sin, and it is a problem (to put it in a modern word). The whole conception is of course of Jewish origin...
It's a universal concept that predates Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Mithraism, etc...
Could it be possible you “took my words out of its context”? :-)
ICfreely

Mansur wrote: And why should any individual (and especially groups of individuals!) be reproached at all?
What?
Mansur wrote: There is I think only one kind of reproach having any sense in reality, i.e. that which makes one against oneself. The “deeds of good intention” come out from this source and can come out from nowhere else. (IMHO the thought can be applied greatly to medical issues, and not only to “Seelenkunde”.)
What is your point? I'm having trouble understanding what you're getting at.
Mansur wrote:Could it be possible you “took my words out of its context”? :-)
It's absolutely possible.

Are you basically saying that in order to avoid being labeled an "anti-Semite" I should avoid using the "T" word altogether? Is that it?
ICfreely

reproach - address (someone) in such a way as to express disapproval or disappointment.
TESTIMONY RE: RUTH BADER GINSBURG

by: Susan Hirschmann, Executive Director Eagle Forum To the Senate Judiciary Committee July 23, 1993

On the other hand, she considered it a setback for "women's rights" when the Supreme Court, in Kahn v. Shevin (1974), upheld a Florida property tax exemption for widows. Ginsburg disdains what she calls "traditional sex roles" and demands strict gender neutrality (except, of course, for quota hiring of career women)…

Of course, Ginsburg passed President Clinton's self proclaimed litmus test for appointment to the Supreme Court — she is "pro-choice." But that's not all; she wants to write taxpayer funding of abortions into the U.S. Constitution, something that 72% of Americans oppose and even the pro-abortion, pro-Roe v. Wade Supreme Court refused to do.

... in Moral Standards
1. The age of consent for sexual acts must be lowered to 12 years old. "Eliminate the phrase 'carnal knowledge of any female, not his wife, who has not attained the age of 16 years' and substitute a federal, sex-neutral definition of the offense. . . A person is guilty of an offense if he engages in a sexual act with another person, . . . [and] the other person is, in fact, less than 12 years old." (p. 102)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... mjSxsNFvxR
The Jewish Women Leading the Resistance in the U.S. Battle Over Abortion
As the focus on Roe v. Wade increases with the looming addition of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, many volunteers say they are motivated by Jewish values and attitudes toward abortion, which differ from those of conservative Christianity
By Debra Nussbaum Cohen (New York)
Oct 11, 2018

NEW YORK – Access to abortion in the United States has become more limited in recent years, increasingly restricted by state laws even though it became a constitutionally protected right in the landmark decision Roe v. Wade 45 years ago.

At the forefront of countering that trend is a little-known network of volunteers, many of them Jewish women, who are motivated by their faith and commitment to the idea that women need to be able to control their own reproductive choices.

According to most interpretations, Judaism views abortion differently than Catholicism or conservative evangelical Christianity, which both consider conception the start of full personhood. In contrast, that status isn’t conferred until a baby has begun to emerge, according to many decisors of Jewish law.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premiu ... -1.6545400
Abortion Statistics

WORLDWIDE

Number of abortions per year: Approximately 46 Million
Number of abortions per day: Approximately 126,000

Where abortions occur:

78% of all abortions are obtained in developing countries and 22% occur in developed countries.
Legality of abortion:
About 26 million women obtain legal abortions each year, while an additional 20 million abortions are obtained in countries where it is restricted or prohibited by law.
Abortion averages:
Worldwide, the lifetime average is about 1 abortion per woman.
© Copyright 1999-2000, The Alan Guttmacher Institute. (http://www.agi-usa.org)

UNITED STATES

Number of abortions per year: 1.37 Million (1996)
Number of abortions per day: Approximately 3,700

Who's having abortions (religion)?
Women identifying themselves as Protestants obtain 37.4% of all abortions in the U.S.; Catholic women account for 31.3%, Jewish women account for 1.3%, and women with no religious affiliation obtain 23.7% of all abortions. 18% of all abortions are performed on women who identify themselves as "Born-again/Evangelical".

Links
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference ... classifier
http://www.policyalmanac.org/culture/abortion.shtml
http://www.abortionfacts.com/
http://www.religioustolerance.org/abortion.htm
The Center for Bio-Ethical Reform - AbortionNo
http://www.abortionno.org/Resources/fastfacts.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://ww1.antiochian.org/node/16950

Call it what you want. The numbers speak for themselves.
ICfreely

Why You See Such Weird Drug Commercials on TV All the Time
By John Marshall Published On 03/23/2016

If you consume any kind of media in America, you've probably seen your fair share of pharmaceutical ads. Most follow a familiar pattern: do you feel [insert symptom]? Has [insert ailment] been holding you back? Roll footage of sad people.

Then there's the invitation to "talk to your doctor" about whatever pill will cure you, along with a couple gaily galloping beachside on horseback, a smiling woman gardening, or a man who's relieved that he doesn't need to urinate during his daughter's wedding. Finally, you hear a string of potential side effects, which could be as mild as dry mouth or as serious as sudden death, and are sometimes so lengthy and ridiculous that you aren't sure whether you're watching a real commercial or a Saturday Night Live rerun.

Prescription drug ads are ubiquitous, to such a degree that most Americans likely don't even think it's strange that patients are asked to recommend drugs to their doctors... which kind of should be the other way around, right? Even stranger, the United States is the only country, besides New Zealand, that legally permits "direct-to-consumer" pharmaceutical advertising. With America in the midst of an opioid epidemic fueled in part by prescription painkillers, it's worth asking how we became a nation that can from one side of the mouth declare a war on drugs, and from the other spew ad copy telling people to take drugs.

https://www.thrillist.com/health/nation ... in-america
TD Portrayal: Excessive Blinking & Dancing Fingers

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X7_yoGliBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X7_yoGliBI

Actress: “Before I was diagnosed by my doctor I didn’t know why my body was moving on its own. My eyes blinked way too much. It turns out I have Tardive Dyskinesia – a condition that may be related to important medications I take for my bipolar disorder. My fingers move like they were playing a piano that wasn’t there. Tardive Dyskinesia can affect different parts of the body. It may also affect people who take medication for depression and schizophrenia. It’s a relief to know that today TD is manageable :puke: . Learn more at talkaboutTD.com”

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb With Lyrics

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqjEnRU6uM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqjEnRU6uM
ICfreely

The Sackler clan was under the spotlight last week thanks in part to the efforts of acclaimed Freudian photographer/LGBTQ… activist Nan Goldin.

Report: Guggenheim Museum Says It Will Decline Sackler Funding
By The Editors of ARTnews Posted 03/22/19 9:21 pm

On Friday, after a week that saw both Tate and the National Portrait Gallery in London say they will decline philanthropic funding from the Sackler family, the Guggenheim Museum in New York said it would follow suit, according to Hyperallergic.

Members of the Sackler family have been accused of helping fuel the opioid crisis as the owners of Purdue Pharma, which allegedly withheld information about the addictiveness of its painkiller OxyContin, as well as their tactics in marketing pharmaceuticals. Today, the Wall Street Journal reported that more than 1,600 suits have been filed against Purdue and its owners. Purdue did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Last month, photographer Nan Goldin and her activist group P.A.I.N. (Prescription Addiction Intervention Now) staged a die-in at the Guggenheim Museum, which is home to a Sackler Center for Arts Education, to draw attention to allegations against Purdue and Sackler family members. Goldin and P.A.I.N. have called on numerous museums to cut ties with the Sacklers, who have been major donors to cultural institutions.

The Guggenheim told Hyperallergic that it had received $7 million from the family of Mortimer D. Sackler (one of the co-owners of Purdue, who died in 2010) between 1995 and 2006 to support the center, and an additional $2 million in support leading up to 2015. “No additional gifts are planned, and the Guggenheim does not plan to accept any gifts,” the Guggenheim said.

Copyright 2019, Art Media ARTNEWS, llc. 110 Greene Street, 2nd Fl., New York, N.Y. 10012. All rights reserved.
http://www.artnews.com/2019/03/22/repor ... r-funding/
Mission Statement
We are a group called P.A.I.N. (Prescription Addiction Intervention Now), organized by Nan Goldin to address the opioid crisis. We are artists, activists, and people dealing with addiction who employ direct action as a platform for our demands. We target the Sackler family, who manufactured and pushed Oxycontin, through the museums and universities that carry their name.

We speak for the 400,000 bodies who no longer can.

OUR DEMANDS

We demand that all museums, universities, and educational institutions worldwide remove Sackler signage and publicly refuse future funding from the Sacklers.

We demand that these institutions publicly disavow the Sacklers, and apologize for having whitewashed the reputation of this criminal family.

We demand that Purdue Pharma give at least 50% of their profits to those working to solve the opioid crisis. The Sackler family must use their personal wealth to rectify the damage they’ve done individuals and communities.

They must use their blood money as direct restitution for the lives that have been lost.

We demand the Sackler family and Purdue Pharma invest in life-saving harm reduction by installing public dispensers of Narcan on every corner and in every home and with every first responder in America.

https://www.sacklerpain.org/mission-statement

In every home? Really, Nan?

Fear not, the Sacklers have already invested in buprenorphine, Suboxone, etc. Demanding they invest in a competing brand seems somewhat idiotic to me.

Richard Sackler, member of family behind OxyContin, was granted patent for addiction treatment
By Andrew Joseph @DrewQJoseph
September 7, 2018

A member of the family that owns Purdue Pharma — which is being sued by more than 1,000 jurisdictions for its alleged role in seeding the opioid crisis with its pain medication OxyContin — has been awarded a patent for a treatment for opioid use disorder.

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/07/ric ... treatment/

Back to Nan.

ART; A New Chapter of Nan Goldin's Diary
By LYNNE TILLMANNOV. 16, 2003

NAN GOLDIN is a photographer whose work is a record of her life. If this were the 19th century, she might be called a diarist. Her formal compositions have depicted her friends in candid moments -- in bars and clubs, funky bedrooms and bathrooms, hanging out, having sex, doing drugs, looking warily at each other, themselves or the camera. Often these characters were estranged from society, but not necessarily from each other, and especially not from the photographer…

In one series, a couple and their son roll around on the bed, the parents alternating between attention to the child and each other. In another, Ms. Goldin shoots a woman on one bed, a man on another; he's tenderly touching their child's head. A sequence of the couple making love follows, with their child out of the picture. Ms. Goldin's mothers are sexual beings, never just maternal. A nursing mother's breast will also be an object in her husband's mouth.

All children wonder about their parents' devotion to each other and to themselves, and compete for their love. Freud said that it was the primal scene children longed to see, that sexual curiosity was the source for the desire to know. Everyone's Garden of Eden. Any photographer is outside the scene, watching. But wanting to get inside the familial embrace, or, like a child, into its parents' bed, Ms. Goldin is necessarily pitched outside the family's frame, and as a result the collection carries a startling melancholy.

In these photographs, the artist/detective Ms. Goldin searches for secret, buried meanings, to find what is beneath the surface of a look that a photograph acknowledges but can't explain. Here, mystery, enigma and sadness shadow the beauty of individuals, couples, children, rooms. Something's missing, something's wrong. Remember: the collection is called ''The Devil's Playground.'' St. Augustine contended that evil was the absence of good, since God wouldn't create or make evil. The Devil was absence, pure nothing. Maybe what's not here, what's left out or lost, is as significant, Ms. Goldin tells us, as what is.

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/16/book ... diary.html

Nan Goldin: The Other Side : photography and gender identity - Thomas Nicolai Skodbo (2007)

Abstract
Summary

In my dissertation I analyse selected photographs in the photo-book The Other Side (first published in 1992) by artist Nan Goldin (born 1953). They all portray biological males in different degrees of feminisation. My intention is to see whether the pictures illustrate the development of the discourse on gender identity from ca 1970 to the early 1990s. My intention is also to analyse what relation there may be between photography and the formation of new gender identities.

The dissertation is based on theories from psychoanalysis – Sigmund Freud and Jacques Lacan, from queer theory – Judith Butler, and from Michel Foucault.

Today in the West we have a so-called two-gender system :huh: . It states that there are two – and only two – genders, and that they generally exhibit opposite gender characteristics. The system is often thought of as universal and self-evident. Goldin’s 1970s black-and-white pictures may be seen as a critique of that system – revealing gender alternatives – and as an attempt to affirm those alternatives.

Psychoanalysis and feminism in the 1960s and 1970s were based on the validity of the two gender system. Alternative gender identities were excluded. Lacan’s reworking of psychoanalysis opened up for new gender differentiation models, but it was not until the advent of Foucault’s analysis, deconstruction and queer theory (Judith Butler) in the 1980s and 1990s that the two-gender system lost much of its authority as the universal truth about gender identity. As a result, no gender system could lay claim to embodying the objective truth. For transgender people this was a blessing – ridding them of a discriminatory system, but it also put them in an identity vacuum. I believe that evidence of the consequent identity fragmentation is visible in Goldin’s 1990s colour pictures.

Since no one knows the objective truth, everyone has the supreme authority to define one’s own subjective gender identity. In this respect, I elaborate on Lacan’s order of the Real to show that gender identity may be one of those personal, fundamental entities that evade discursive comprehension and definition.

I differentiate between two kinds of documentary photography – fetishistic and narrative – and the parallel practice of constructing individuals as Other. Fetishistic photography works by projection of the artist’s (and by proxy the spectator’s) aggressive and sexual id urges and reveals little about its actual subjects, while narrative photography seeks to tell the comprehensive truth about individuals on their own terms. Fetishistic photography I fear will be detrimental to the formation of new identity positions, seeking out only the sensational and the shocking and bolstering our prejudices. Narrative photography, on the other hand, may by virtue of its comprehensiveness, truthfulness and its approach of focusing on common cultural, visual, narrative clues bridge the gap between the subjects and us. Thus it may enhance our understanding of the subjects and make us sympathize with them, bringing us all closer together :unsure: .

https://www.duo.uio.no/handle/10852/24679
Post-modernist psychobabble at its "finest".
ICfreely

I’m adding this post as an addendum to the following post (scare quotes and all):
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2053&start=150#p2412298

Millions for Newt Gingrich? Sheldon Adelson’s money could have been better spent
By J. Patrick Coolican
Monday, March 26, 2012

First, let’s acknowledge that Sheldon and his wife, Dr. Miriam Adelson, are already important philanthropists. As Las Vegas Sands spokesman Ron Reese says, “The Adelsons’ philanthropic donations dwarf what they do politically.”

They’ve given at least $100 million to Birthright Israel, which provides trips to Israel for Jewish young adults. They’ve given tens of millions through the Dr. Miriam and Sheldon G. Adelson Medical Research Foundation. The Adelson Educational Campus opened in the fall of 2008 and now serves 500 students. Adelson brings wounded service members to his hotels a couple times a year to show appreciation for their sacrifices. No doubt there are other recipients that don’t make the media.

Adelson’s company, Las Vegas Sands, meanwhile, gives to Opportunity Village, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, The Public Education Foundation, the Smith Center for the Performing Arts and the Problem Gambling Center, among others.

Dr. Miriam Adelson is an addiction specialist and founded the Dr. Miriam and Sheldon G. Adelson Clinic for Drug Abuse Treatment & Research in 2000.

Ronald Lawrence, executive director of the Community Counseling Center, says that with $10 million, it could increase staff from 40 to 200, which means it could serve 15,000 clients annually, instead of 3,000. Or it could increase treatment space from 17,000 square feet to 170,000 square feet. Or it could create a complete inpatient unit with physicians, psychiatrists and nurses. Southern Nevada doesn’t have enough mental health facilities or outpatient services, which results in the county jail being our largest psychiatric facility.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2012/mar/2 ... ve-been-b/

There’s no denying the facts that a) Sheldon and Dr. Miriam Adelson are important philanthropists, b) they’ve donated plenty of money to addiction centers in Las Vegas and d) their source of wealth is based largely on encouraging and exploiting addiction.

How Casinos Are Designed to Keep You Playing For Longer

If you’ve heard about how casinos are laid out, you’ve probably heard about the Friedman principals [sic] of casino design. These are the rules like not allowing in any natural light or clocks (this prevents players from keeping any sense of time) or laying out the floors in a labyrinth design to encourage people to gamble more as they wind further into the casino (this makes the exits tricky to find). Smart, eh?

In fact, Friedman had a few main design theories that he developed after his serious gambling addiction nearly ruined him. He became a casino consultant, working with casino owners and designers to ensure that gamblers played longer.

https://www.casino.org/blog/how-casinos ... or-longer/
The Age of Addiction: How Bad Habits Became Big Business - David T. Courtwright (2019)
P. 234-235

Shocking but also part of a pattern. The tobacco tycoon who endowed a university: James Duke. The narco who built soccer fields for kids: Pablo Escobar. The casino magnate who funded Zionist causes and cancer research: Sheldon Adelson. The Pharma family who added wings to museums: the Sacklers. Licit or illicit – not a hard-and-fast distinction – limbic capitalists created community stakeholders as well as community losers. When you catch whales – the gambling term Purdue executives used for their heaviest-prescribing doctors – lots of people get a cut of the oil and blubber.

https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0674737377

Beautiful, isn’t it? You rake in billions upon billions from exploiting and exacerbating addiction and then step in as a philanthropic savior. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

And with that, ladies & gents, in the words of an esteemed CF contributor, "enough is enough!" :)
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

ICfreely » April 13th, 2019, 6:02 pm wrote:
And with that, ladies & gents, in the words of an esteemed CF contributor, "enough is enough!" :)
Dear IC,

"Enough is enough" is my favorite allocution (but perhaps you meant to quote a like-minded contributor to this forum).

I keep wondering how much will be enough for this planet's inhabitants to start realizing the incredibly silly things going on around them (to the detriment of their own lives and the lives of their own children) and start acting upon this major problem. We might call our current era the "Age of Apathy" - even though I see signs of people waking up from the slumber in which I was myself very much stuck, only two decades ago or so.

The feeling that "enough is enough" is, in fact, what has been driving my efforts to do something about it (other than just complaining in private about this sorry state of affairs). I am probably in love with this planet - and wish to protect it from the arrogant idiots who spoil its natural beauty for their own gain.