The Holocaust Under Review

Global War deceptions & mass manipulation, fear-mongering terror schemes and propaganda in the Age of the Bomb

Re: The Holocaust Under Review

Unread postby fbenario on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:05 am

ICfreely » April 10th, 2019, 9:43 pm wrote:
Every time his wife showed up at a function with a new outrageously expensive jewelry set all the ladies figured he’d gotten caught “screwing up” again. His predatory “indiscretions” have been common knowledge to people “in the know” for decades.

What's up with all those quote marks? Idioms and colloquial phrases do not get quotes.
fbenario

Unread postby ICfreely on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:56 am

fbenario wrote:What's up with all those quote marks? Idioms and colloquial phrases do not get quotes.

You're absolutely right, fbenario. My bad. Thanks for pointing out my misuse of quotation marks.

I apparently made a "scare quote" faux-pas.

How to Use Quotation Marks

In my work as a copyeditor, one of the most common style errors I see is the overuse of quotation marks. Of course quotation marks should be used to set off quotations, but some writers have a rather expansive notion of what quotation marks should be used for, sprinkling them liberally throughout a document on all kinds of words that aren’t quotations. In the editing world, these are known as scare quotes, and some days it seems like I need a machete to hack through them all.

Scare Quotes

Most abuses of quotation marks fall under the broad, nebulous label of scare quotes. Many writers put terms in quotation marks to indicate that they’re nonstandard, colloquial, or slang or that the term is being used ironically or under some sort of duress. MLA allows the use of quotation marks for “a word or phrase given in someone else’s sense of in a special sense or purposefully misused” (postmodernists in particular seem to love scare quotes), but Chicago and APA discourage or limit their use.

Conclusion

When it comes to uses beyond signaling direct quotations, you’ll probably want to refer to whatever style guide is appropriate in your field. But keep in mind that their other uses are limited outside of quotations and certain kinds of titles. Even though most style guides allow for some use of scare quotes, in my opinion as a writer and editor, it’s best to use them sparingly if they’re to be used at all. Keep the hand-holding to a minimum and let your words speak for themselves.

http://www.arrantpedantry.com/2015/11/3 ... ion-marks/

Grammar policing and subtle classism aside, do you have anything pertinent to add to this particular topic?
ICfreely

Unread postby ICfreely on Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:45 am

ICfreely wrote:I wonder what G-d – the great playwright – has scripted for March 20-21, 2019.

Purim Miracles 2019; Golan Heights Sovereignty Announcement & Jonathan Pollard at Israeli Consulate
Published 4 months ago on 03/22/2019

PM, Ministers, and political parties & American Jewish leaders praise President Trump for calling for recognition of Israel’s sovereignty on the Golan Heights
By: Fern Sidman

Netanyahu added: “We have a Purim miracle here. President Trump has made history. He recognized Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights, at a time when Iran is trying to use the Golan Heights as a platform to destroy Israel.

We are marking the miracle of Purim – 2,500 years ago the Jewish people defeated those who tried to destroy it, other Persians, and today just as they failed then, they will fail this time as well thanks, inter alia, to the strong support of the US and its President. We have had no greater friend in our history.”

This major, unexpected announcement comes just days before Netanyahu visits the White House on Monday and speaks at the pro-Israel AIPAC conference in Washington.

http://thejewishvoice.com/2019/03/22/purim-miracles-2019-golan-heights-sovereignty-announcement-jonathan-pollard-at-israeli-consulate/

Mazel tov!

Netanyahu: 'America is a thing you can move very easily'

The United States and Israel have made a huge effort this month to patch up the sometimes difficult relationship between President Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu. But a newly released video of Netanyahu, speaking in an unvarnished manner in 2001 about relations with the United States and the peace process, may cause some heartburn at the White House.

"I know what America is," Netanyahu told a group of terror victims, apparently not knowing his words were being recorded. "America is a thing you can move very easily, move it in the right direction. They won't get in their way."

Netanyahu also bragged how he undercut the peace process when he was prime minister during the Clinton administration. "They asked me before the election if I'd honor [the Oslo accords]," he said. "I said I would, but ... I'm going to interpret the accords in such a way that would allow me to put an end to this galloping forward to the '67 borders. How did we do it? Nobody said what defined military zones were. Defined military zones are security zones; as far as I'm concerned, the entire Jordan Valley is a defined military zone. Go argue."

Gideon Levy, a left-leaning columnist for Haaretz newspaper, declared: "This video should have been banned for broadcast to minors. This video should have been shown in every home in Israel, then sent to Washington and Ramallah. Banned for viewing by children so as not to corrupt them, and distributed around the country and the world so that everyone will know who leads the government of Israel."

Of course, the video is from nearly ten years ago. Opinions change, based on circumstances and experience. But who knows what leaders are really saying when they think the cameras aren't filming?

By Glenn Kessler | July 16, 2010; 2:06 PM ET

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/checkp ... ing_y.html
ICfreely

Previous

Return to WWI - WWII, the Nuke Hoax, the Cold War and JFK