The Holocaust Under Review

Global War deceptions & mass manipulation, fear-mongering terror schemes and propaganda in the Age of the Bomb

Re: The Holocaust Under Review

Unread postby fbenario on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:05 am

ICfreely » April 10th, 2019, 9:43 pm wrote:
Every time his wife showed up at a function with a new outrageously expensive jewelry set all the ladies figured he’d gotten caught “screwing up” again. His predatory “indiscretions” have been common knowledge to people “in the know” for decades.

What's up with all those quote marks? Idioms and colloquial phrases do not get quotes.
fbenario

Re: The Holocaust Under Review

Unread postby ICfreely on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:56 am

fbenario wrote:What's up with all those quote marks? Idioms and colloquial phrases do not get quotes.

You're absolutely right, fbenario. My bad. Thanks for pointing out my misuse of quotation marks.

I apparently made a "scare quote" faux-pas.

How to Use Quotation Marks

In my work as a copyeditor, one of the most common style errors I see is the overuse of quotation marks. Of course quotation marks should be used to set off quotations, but some writers have a rather expansive notion of what quotation marks should be used for, sprinkling them liberally throughout a document on all kinds of words that aren’t quotations. In the editing world, these are known as scare quotes, and some days it seems like I need a machete to hack through them all.

Scare Quotes

Most abuses of quotation marks fall under the broad, nebulous label of scare quotes. Many writers put terms in quotation marks to indicate that they’re nonstandard, colloquial, or slang or that the term is being used ironically or under some sort of duress. MLA allows the use of quotation marks for “a word or phrase given in someone else’s sense of in a special sense or purposefully misused” (postmodernists in particular seem to love scare quotes), but Chicago and APA discourage or limit their use.

Conclusion

When it comes to uses beyond signaling direct quotations, you’ll probably want to refer to whatever style guide is appropriate in your field. But keep in mind that their other uses are limited outside of quotations and certain kinds of titles. Even though most style guides allow for some use of scare quotes, in my opinion as a writer and editor, it’s best to use them sparingly if they’re to be used at all. Keep the hand-holding to a minimum and let your words speak for themselves.

http://www.arrantpedantry.com/2015/11/3 ... ion-marks/

Grammar policing and subtle classism aside, do you have anything pertinent to add to this particular topic?
ICfreely

Previous

Return to WWI - WWII, the Nuke Hoax, the Cold War and JFK