Private Internet Browsing

Historical insights & thoughts about the world we live in - and the social conditioning exerted upon us by past and current propaganda.
hoi.polloi

Private Internet Browsing

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

There are some options besides using a proxy server for gaining information safely and supposedly more privately than the usual methods.

Scroogle.org searches take google information and passes it safely to you with fewer cookies and ads and more privacy. I have used scroogle for some searches.

Lavabit.com is apparently an e-mail service which is so private, apparently their own servers cannot read your mail.

Are there any oppositions to these things, or other suggestions people have? Post your tips and suggestions on keeping information free in this topic.

There is also an argument for going 'missionary' and using all the conventional tools while getting scanned up the wazoo if not just to make a stand. But I was getting sick of being blocked from some sites and scroogle helped mask me a little.

Some people have also suggested ixquick but I found it had weird or disappointing results.
hoi.polloi

I should add that PeerGuardian 2 is an interesting tool for watching the IPs that come into your computer but we are still very unsure about what exactly that program is or how simple it could be to fake an IP that shows up.
hoi.polloi

This one is just for fun, from scroogle's image gallery.

- http://www.scroogle.org/th/thumbs.html
hoi.polloi

Google and 9/11

This little graphic provided by Scroogle.org

Fancy!

:wub:

Scroogle, you guys are the best.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

I've just added Scroogle as my default search engine to Firefox, I'll keep you informed as to the results!

Oh yes sunshine, lose IExplorer asap. Install Firefox and add 'adblockplus' via Tools->Add-ons!

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

Seamonkey is a good browser also!

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
hoi.polloi

Thanks for reminding me of Ad Blocker.

There was a great program called AdMuncher I had for a while that blocked all the ads on everything everywhere - it was amazing. But then I ran out of the trial.

Opera also has a good blocker that selects "content areas" and blocks "similar" content.

Opera 9 has added a solid ad banner blocker, under the guise of a generic "content blocker". (This indirect name is presumably only there to keep a good corporate image.) To block an ad (either an image, frame, or Flash animation), right-click an empty spot on the page and choose Block content. Then, simply click the banners which you want to block. When finished, click Done in the pseudo-toolbar that appears at the top of the page.

By default, this tries to use some logic to block all ads from the source, but this may sometimes be overkill. To correct this, click the image again (to unblock it), then Shift-click it. This will add only the specific image to the filter list. This filter can then be broadened by clicking Edit.

A filter will typically contain asterisks ('*'). These mean "any number of any characters", much like in filenames for operating systems.

Of course, Opera is kind of an acquired taste. I prefer it for easy page editing and such for web design, as well as built in notes, e-mail, RSS, torrenting, etc. in one app, easy skinning, etc. But not everyone is patient with the sites that Opera doesn't like. It does do some things much better than IE, like downloading images, mouse gestures, and very fast/logical menu options like many ways to copy a link depending on what you want to do with it, page compression, what-have-you ...

But I'm one of those "lots of options in every menu" people. Most people just prefer simple stuff that is easy to figure out and I like Opera because it is like a complex toy.

Uh... but then, it's not hard to be better than IE. hee hee
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

sunshine05 @ Mar 11 2010, 05:19 PM wrote: Never mind. My husband just showed me how to move all my bookmarks over to Opera. Goodbye Explorer!
Woah - what a relief ! You're a woman, Sunshine... I was just growing a little annoyed over the impression that we - seemingly - only had males on board ! :D
http://www.septemberclues.org
alwun

Unread post by alwun »

scroogle is fine, but I believe that this is what you really are seeking

https://www.anonine.com/

and relatively cheap, too.

cheers
hoi.polloi

alwun @ Mar 11 2010, 10:03 PM wrote: scroogle is fine, but I believe that this is what you really are seeking

https://www.anonine.com/

and relatively cheap, too.

cheers
Relative to free, that price is downright all the money in the universe ... mathematically speaking. Haha!

We here at September Clues strive to save the world on a shoe-string budget; I don't think anyone here is getting paid for this so I am not sure if they can even afford that meager anonymity sum. I know I can't. But thanks for the tip.

Scroogle also accepts donations, and I bet they appreciate that.
Postal44

Unread post by Postal44 »

Along with Ad Block Plus, don't forget to install No Script. It blocks all Java scripts from running, and you can enable only the ones you need to for the particular site to work.

Without it, just going to a website and letting it load can get stuff loaded on your computer without you even knowing.

For those that pay attention, you'll figure out what to allow and what not to allow after a while. Just start out by allowing the website itself, then you'll have to pick and choose from the other things to allow or not depending on what's working or not.

For example, I never let any google* things run, they are all ways of tracking you on the web.

Anyway, it's a good plugin for Firefox.

I also use Download helper, it's lets you download pretty much any video on the web, and Image Zoom, lets you enlarge pictures and rotate them. Good for checking out pictures before you download them.
kimlodrodawa

Unread post by kimlodrodawa »

Hi there.

This is my first post in this forum.
Have been following you for some years, from when I first heard about the No Plane Theory. Just want you to know you are doing a great job...!!!! :wub:

Anyway. About safe internet browsing, then there are some additional things you can do.

It is to use the "hosts" file for blocking certain internet addresses and works even the thing change IP.

It send the certain internet address into a loop in 127.0.0.1

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a hosts file

Also look here : how to make the internet not suck (as much)

Here is a little description :
What it does ...

"The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. This file is loaded into memory (cache) at startup, then Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local (your) machine. Another feature of the HOSTS file is its ability to block other applications from connecting to the Internet, providing the entry exists.

You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the connection(s) that supplies these little gems.

Example - the following entry 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net blocks all files supplied by that DoubleClick Server to the web page you are viewing. This also prevents the server from tracking your movements. Why? ... because in certain cases "Ad Servers" like Doubleclick (and many others) will try silently to open a separate connection on the webpage you are viewing."

The thing with pop-up blocker and the like is that it is somewhat fine........you take away the things you can see...........BUT.........there are so many things going on in the background that you don't see.........and that is where the "hosts" file get into play.

I hav used it for several years. Allthe way from Windows ME and are still using with big success.
I never have any pop-ups.......I hardly ever see an advertisements on the sites I visit. I avoid all the known bad sites........and it is so easy to add another site.

What is also said about the "hosts" file :

In many cases using a well designed HOSTS file can speed the loading of web pages by not having to wait for these ads, annoying banners, hit counters, etc. to load. This also helps to protect your Privacy and Security by blocking sites that may track your viewing habits, also known as "click-thru tracking" or Data Miners. Simply using a HOSTS file is not a cure-all against all the dangers on the Internet, but it does provide another very effective "Layer of Protection".

Editors Note: As time has progressed the focus of this project has changed from just blocking ads/banners to protecting the user from the many parasites that now exist on the Internet. It doesn't serve much purpose if you block the ad banner from displaying as most other HOSTS files do, but get hijacked by a parasite from an evil exploit or download contained on the web site. The object is to surf faster while preserving your Safety, Security and Privacy.

So I strongly suggest to use "hosts" in your computer..........works for all windows and also for MAC users.
kimlodrodawa

Unread post by kimlodrodawa »

Oh..........Forgot this one :

The idea of using 127.0.0.1 only works if you are NOT running your own
web server. If you are then obviously the hosts file that redirects to
127.0.0.1 is trying to connect to your own web server when the intent
was to block a connection to the content at the specified host in the
URL. This means you could see content from your own web site
intermingled with the web page (where you were attempting to block some
content or that site using the hosts file). Well, obviously it will
take some time to retrieve web pages from your own server. Any local
process listening on port 80 would connect to the 127.0.0.1 address you
use in the hosts file for redirection (in trying to block content).

But I assume most or all of you do not use your computer as a server....?!??!?!

The "hosts" file is for all with a computer used as a personal computer and not as a server.!!!!!!!!!!!!!