Sheryl Sandberg's husband dies in treadmill accident

Historical insights & thoughts about the world we live in - and the social conditioning exerted upon us by past and current propaganda.
Undoctored

Sheryl Sandberg's husband dies in treadmill accident

Unread post by Undoctored »

A second Silicon Valley executive dies in out-of-country accident one week after the first (as noted here)

This time it’s SurveyMonkey CEO Dave Goldberg, husband of Facebook exec Sheryl Sandberg, famous for her Lean In book and campaign to have more women in positions of power. He was vacationing in Mexico with his family.

SurveyMonkey's Dave Goldberg, Husband of Sheryl Sandberg, Died After Collapsing in Gym: Source
Associated Press wrote: The popular Silicon Valley executive, whose company runs an online service for people who want to conduct questionnaires and polls, died Friday night at age 47. His company and family members confirmed his death Saturday but they did not give a cause of death, leading to widespread speculation.

Goldberg left his room at about 4 p.m. to exercise, and family members went to look for him after he didn't return, the Mexican official said. He was found at about 6:30 p.m. in one of the resort's gymnasiums lying by a treadmill in a pool of blood, with a blow to the lower back of his head.

He apparently had slipped on the treadmill and hit the machine, said the official, who was not authorized to speak to the press and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Goldberg still had vital signs when he was discovered, but later died at a hospital in Nuevo Vallarta, the official said. The cause of death was severe head trauma and bleeding, the official said.
Efforts to revive Goldberg, who was vacationing with family and friends, were unsuccessful.

There were no witnesses to this accident, not even Goldberg himself! The article also says:
The family is planning a service in Silicon Valley on Tuesday. It is by invitation only and closed to the press.

So the man dies in Mexico on Friday (May 1 = May Day), the death is only announced Saturday, and there’s going to be a private memorial service back in Palo Alto, California on Tuesday (May 5 = Cinco de Mayo)? So how about that mystery memorial service, where no reporters are allowed? How did that go? Who will attend on a Tuesday afternoon at such short notice?

SurveyMonkey CEO Dave Goldberg Mourned by Silicon Valley Luminaries
Janie Har and Brandon Bailey of the ASSOCIATED PRESS wrote: PALO ALTO, Calif. - Tech industry luminaries and friends gathered Tuesday for a memorial service honoring Dave Goldberg, a popular business leader whose marriage to Facebook executive Sheryl Sandberg made them one of Silicon Valley's most prominent couples.

U2 vocalist Bono sang before an audience [of 1,700*] that included Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, film director George Lucas, [Ben Affleck*] and a host of tech company founders, executives and financiers.

Afterward, mourners emerged teary-eyed from Stanford University's Memorial Auditorium, many wearing Minnesota Vikings paraphernalia to commemorate the NFL team loved by Goldberg, a Minneapolis native.

The 47-year-old Goldberg died Friday while on a family vacation at a villa near Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. He slipped while exercising on a treadmill in the villa's gym and struck his head, Mexican officials said.

“Dave was my rock,” Sandberg wrote in a Facebook post Tuesday drawn from remarks she gave at the memorial. “We had 11 truly joyful years of the deepest love, happiest marriage, and truest partnership that I could imagine.”

President Barack Obama extended his sympathies in an earlier post. “His skills as an entrepreneur created opportunity for many; his love for his family was a joy to behold, and his example as a husband and father was something we could all learn from,” Obama wrote on the White House Facebook page.
* Details deleted from the version of the story that I found on the web. They were in the local tabloid, the (Palo Alto) Daily Post (click to enlarge):

Reuters story with photo gallery here: http://news.yahoo.com/surveymonkey-ceo- ... nance.html

Here's an odd picture from that gallery that was also in the Daily Post.
(original image here)

Just saying...
  • Dave Goldberg’s age: 47 (4 + 7 = 11)
  • Years married to Sheryl Sandberg: 11
  • Number on memorial auditorium: 551 (5 + 5 + 1 = 11)
Bonus challenge: Find the blue and white stripes!
Undoctored

Re: Sheryl Sandberg's husband dies in treadmill accident

* Details deleted from the version of the story that I found on the web. They were in the local tabloid, the (Palo Alto) Daily Post
A little follow-up here. I can’t tell if the incredible “fact” that there were 1,700 attendees of this nice guy’s memorial service was added to the AP story by the local paper, or whether it was later expunged from the web versions, but this number is vouched for by no less than the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, so we can safely say it is part of the official story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/06/techn ... .html?_r=0
Quentin Hardy of the New York Times wrote: Dave Goldberg’s memorial service had no golden screens, no world-changing dreams or epic lines of code. About 1,700 people, most of whom, in the world’s eyes, seem blessed beyond imagining, paused to contemplate fate and mortality. Many wept.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/05/05/ ... e-husband/
Deepa Seetharaman of the Wall Street Journal wrote: The technology industry's top executives and entrepreneurs packed a 1,700-seat memorial service Tuesday for SurveyMonkey CEO Dave Goldberg, who was remembered for his effortless compassion and selflessness.
Now it is a fact that Stanford’s Memorial Auditorium seats 1,700:

https://live.stanford.edu/plan-your-vis ... auditorium
Memorial Auditorium is the largest indoor facility on campus designed for regular performance use. ... Memorial Auditorium holds up to 1705 audience members.
But do we really know that 1,700 people actually turned out on a Tuesday afternoon and packed the auditorium? Recall, the earlier article said the event would be “by invitation only and closed to the press.” That makes it easy to explain the absence of pictures or video of this “packed” auditorium.

I leave with a quote from the World’s Finest Information Source on Stanford’s Memorial Auditorium:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_ ... Auditorium
Finally, major speaker events are commonly held in MemAud because of its size, such as Martin Luther King when he gave his “The Other America” speech on April 14, 1967, the Dalai Lama’s visits in 2005 and 2010, and Soviet President Mikhail S. Gorbachev in 1990.
Undoctored

Now it seems to me that not only was Dave Goldberg’s death and memorial service fake, his children with Sheryl Sandberg are fake too. They simply do not exist. Sheryl and the children were reportedly at the service:
Quentin Hardy of the New York Times wrote: After the invited guests traded stories of the last time they’d seen Mr. Goldberg and expressed gratitude for each other’s company, the family entered from behind a midnight blue curtain.
Quentin Hardy wrote: Slides traced Mr. Goldberg’s life, from a childhood in Minnesota to adulthood, unabashed in his plastic Viking helmet and smiling as he introduced his children to the president of the United States.
Hey where can we see those pictures? Oh, I forgot. This event was closed to the press.

Hey wait a minute. If the press wasn’t allowed in, who were New York Times reporter Mr. Hardy’s sources? The reporter for the local paper (San Jose Mercury News) did not get access and the guests upheld their requested vow of silence:
Queenie Wong of the Mercury News wrote: Guests declined to comment about the service after it ended. Metal gates and security surrounded the auditorium.
The following from CBS San Francisco pretty sums it up well:

https://youtu.be/-WOspPlpKX4
Well we should note that there is no criminal investigation and tomorrow there will be an invite-only memorial for him at Stanford. The men have been asked to go tieless because Dave was known for his hatred of wearing ties. Also, interestingly, people have asked people not to post to social media or take pictures out of respect for the family.
That’s right, no criminal investigation, no neckties, no social media posting (are we not talking about the husband of a Facebook exec here?) and no pictures of the family.

I understand the idea of shielding kids from media-exposure, but Sheryl Sandberg is, after all a woman whose claim to fame is her insight on how to raise children while being a high power executive.

After the memorial service was over Sheryl posted the following to Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/sheryl/posts/10155493238390177
Most importantly, he gave me the two most amazing children in the world.
And then she attaches two pictures, both of her and her husband. No kids.

I scrolled and scrolled but could not find any photos of her and Dave’s kids on her own Facebook photos page although there was one of some other Dad and his two daughters. For #NationalSiblingsDay, she did not post a picture of her son and daughter, but rather dug up an old picture of herself and her brother and sister.

The children exist only in stories. And all you get is dubious stories. No names even. Take the article about her in the New Yorker from 2011. We learn the names of her brothers and sisters, but not her son and daughter. And take this report of an exchange between Sheryl and her six-year-old son. We see that her son is a figment of her imagination:
Sandberg says that the impact of popular culture struck her when her son was playing a Star Wars game. “When I grow up, I want to live in space and be a Star Wars person as a job,” he told his mother.
Stop right there. No six-year-old so into Star Wars that he would want to make a career of it would say he wanted to be a “Star Wars person”! Of course he would say he wants to be a Jedi. Continuing:
“I’d like to come, too,” she responded, “because I always want to live near you.”

“You can’t come,” he said. “I’ve already invited my sister, and there’s only one girl in space.”

At first, Sandberg laughed. And then it dawned on her that “there is only one woman in these movies.”
The observation that Princess Leia was the only female character in Star Wars (sorry Aunt Beru) was already an old joke when Emipre Strikes Back came out in 1980. Somehow Sheryl (and her interviewer, let’s give ignominy where ignominy is due) thought she could pass that off on New Yorker readers as her own insight. But even less believable is the idea that a six-year-old boy would notice this, or even consider it an immutable law of the Star Wars universe, especially considering that the Star Wars universe of 2011 had plenty of hot chicks; see these videos uploaded in 2010 of Star Wars women from movies and video games.

So to summarize, if you look behind this news story, you will find no accident, no death, no memorial service, no mourning next of kin, but more importantly no respect for the public’s sense of reality!
MrSinclair

Unread post by MrSinclair »

The more I read your posts the more persuasive they are.
Here is another article on the subject with some video footage from the memorial.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... piece.html
Undoctored

Thanks, Mr. Sinclair, for your words of encouragement. If you're not completely convinced yet, there are a few more signs of fakery in this saga that I plan to comment on; I left them out in an attempt to keep the posts as short and focused as possible. But first, let me comment on the Daily Mail article and video you brought to our attention.

Take the video of the people exiting the auditorium.

Remember the descriptions in the newspaper reports about an abundance of teary-eyed, weeping mourners? Now compare that to what you see there. Do you see anyone weeping? It looks like they’re all having a ball, especially starting at 1:00. Big smiles, taking turns hugging, shaking hands, kissing. That’s California for you I guess.

But seriously, what does that group of ladies say at 1:12?
Oh, ha-ha, my God! ... Congratulations, or best wishes, or whatever that- I don’t know what it is! ... Yeah!
Perhaps the word she was looking for was condolences? Yeah, whatever it was they wanted us to say. <_<

The Daily Mail article is interesting, too, but its new content seems to be cribbed from a (helpfully linked to) Kara Swisher article on Re/code, so I will quote from that. Swisher, in turn, got her information from an unnamed “Facebook spokesman.”

Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg Transitions Back to Work Today, After Death of Husband
Kara Swisher of Re/code wrote: [Dave Goldberg’s] wife, Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg, will be transitioning back to work, a spokesman for Facebook said.... But she will be operating on a slightly different schedule, planning to be at the office when their two young children are at school and suspending travel for work for the foreseeable future.

Sandberg decided to return to Facebook — rather than taking a leave — on advice from child psychologists who suggested that kids often benefit by trying to get back to typical routines quickly. While personal situations vary, Sandberg will operate on this modified schedule, the spokesman said, with the support of CEO and co-founder Mark Zuckerberg.
I guess my first question is, why should we care? Don’t even low-level managers get to set their own office hours anyway? It is interesting how she decided what to do strictly on advice from child psychologists. How many did she consult in the past week? Or is it just something she read after clicking on Psychologists Reveal Top Ten Ways to Help Your Kids Get Over Their Grief? My hypothesis is that she had to consult with child psychologists because she has no sense of what’s best for her kids because she is not a real mother and she has no real kids!

To clarify the idiocy we’re dealing with here, let me paraphrase the jist of the quoted passage as follows: “Common sense would suggest that Sandberg would take an additional week or two off for the sake herself and her children, but she’s returning to work instead immediately for the sake of the children.” :wacko:

And a new development. An updated version of the article now adds the revelation that Sheryl went to her daughter’s soccer game and shared a moment of understanding with another widow. She posted this to Facebook on Monday:

https://www.facebook.com/sheryl/posts/1 ... nref=story
Sheryl Sandberg wrote: May 11 at 9:54 pm
Yesterday, 9 days after my beloved husband Dave Goldberg died, I went to my daughter’s soccer game. Her friend’s grandmother was there – a beautiful woman – sitting in a chair with an empty chair beside it. I knew she too had lost her husband at a young age with two young children and that she would be at the game – so I knew that chair was for me.
Much could be said about what this passage reveals about the woman who wrote it, but for now ponder this: How many San Francisco Bay Area soccer programs for 8-year-old girls had a game this Mother’s Day? And how many of them were in a venue that provided seating in the form of chairs? <_<
Undoctored

Undoctored wrote: Much could be said about what this passage reveals about the woman who wrote it, but for now ponder this: How many San Francisco Bay Area soccer programs for 8-year-old girls had a game this Mother’s Day? And how many of them were in a venue that provided seating in the form of chairs? <_<
I just can’t let this one go. Let’s have a closer look, and get some answers to those questions.

Here is the quote is again, this time the entire relevant paragraph:

https://www.facebook.com/sheryl/posts/10155511667290177
Sheryl Sandberg wrote: May 11 at 9:54 pm
Yesterday, 9 days after my beloved husband Dave Goldberg died, I went to my daughter’s soccer game. Her friend’s grandmother was there – a beautiful woman – sitting in a chair with an empty chair beside it. I knew she too had lost her husband at a young age with two young children and that she would be at the game – so I knew that chair was for me. I sat down – and before we had said 10 words to each other, I felt completely understood. She told me that she was reliving her loss through mine – and I did not even need to tell her how I felt.
I happen to know a man from Menlo Park (where Sandberg and her family live) whose young daughter is on a team in the local soccer league, AYSO. He confirmed that at best, some of the fields at the parks or schoolyards where they play have benches, but any chairs are going to be folding chairs brought by the onlookers. In which case any empty chair should be assumed to belong to someone else who brought it. But the implication here is that this was “open seating” in a stadium with a row of chairs, which you just don’t have at youth soccer games.

Again, I note that this refers to an event that took place on Sunday, May 10, 2015 — Mother’s Day.

Also, my acquaintance told me that although his daughter’s team had been playing on Sundays this spring, they did not have a game on Mother’s Day, and that in general, regular soccer season is in the fall; now it is “Spring Select” season, which I upon further investigation determined is only open to those who were 8 years old by August 1 of the previous year. I looked back at that New Yorker article dated July 11, 2011. According to that article, Sheryl’s daughter was 3 years old at the time. Other sources on the web are in agreement that her daughter was born in 2007. Which means she would be at oldest 7 years old by August 1, 2014 — too young to qualify for the spring season. So she couldn’t be playing in an AYSO game anyway. There are a couple of other soccer programs for kids in the area, Kidz Love Soccer and Soccer Shots, but neither of them have activities on Sundays. Weekdays or Saturdays only. So as far as I could determine, there were no “soccer games” that Sheryl Sandberg’s alleged daughter could have played in this Mother’s Day.

And before I leave this one, I have to comment on Sheryl’s logic when she says “I knew she too had lost her husband at a young age with two young children and that she would be at the game – so I knew that chair was for me.” Just wondering how Sheryl’s foreknowledge of the grandmother being at the game has any relevance here. It almost sounds like a leftover fragment from another version of the story; I just can’t put my finger on it.

Also, I suppose I should note the lack of any expression on the part of the characters in this scene of exactly how it feels or what it means for a wife to lose her husband or for a daughter to lose her father. Truly, the only thing Sheryl had to say was that there was nothing to say. Which is quite natural if you assume that Sheryl Sandberg did not lose her husband and she does not have a daughter, soccer-playing or otherwise.

It is odd that Sheryl chose not to reflect upon her first Mother’s Day as a single mother. It does seem that she makes an extra effort to identify to the date of this occurrence so there could be no doubt that it occurred on Mother’s Day, but at the same time she makes no direct reference to that fact. As if she knows there are no soccer games for little girls scheduled on Mother’s Day, and knows we know, so she didn’t want to emphasize it. At the same time, she wanted to tell us that this mother-to-mother communion happened on Mother’s Day. Appropriate, but inappropriate. In fact, I think we were primed for this by the report of the following said at the memorial service, about playing games on Mother’s Day:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/06/techn ... rvice.html
Quentin Hardy of the New York times wrote: “We went to Vegas almost 35 times,” said Phil Deutch, an energy investor. “The real number is 47. One year was on a Mother’s Day — in hindsight, that was a mistake.”
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Thanks for the amusing and enlightening digging. Keep it up!
Undoctored

I appreciate your encouraging comment, Hoi Polloi. Turns out that after some more digging, I found that there is another soccer organization covering Menlo Park, U.S. Club Soccer, that does have teams this year for girls born in 2007 that may have played on 10 May 2015. I can’t tell either way from their web site but will let the Forum know if I get a definite answer. Meanwhile, we have plenty more to plow through.

Now let’s get some perspective on this story by comparing it to the story of the death and funeral of another Silicon Valley CEO. Then we’ll do a recap and look at a summary of questions that the present story raises, covering many points that I hadn’t mentioned previously.

Steve Jobs, probably the most famous CEO in history, let alone Silicon Valley, was reported to have died at the age of 56 on Wednesday, October 5, 2011, about six weeks after resigning his position as CEO of Apple because of his well-known severe decline in health. (It had been in the news that he had a liver transplant and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and he had been on medical leave since January.)

A small, private funeral was held two days later at an undisclosed location. Within a week Jobs’s death certificate was obtained by the press (it is a public document) and it was reported where he was buried. Then eleven days after his death, on the evening of Sunday, October 16, a private service was held for “hundreds” of invited friends and “luminaries”, this time on the Stanford Campus at Stanford Memorial Church. U2 band member Bono performed a Bob Dylan song.

With that in mind, let’s consider what reportedly happened last month.

Dave Goldberg, CEO of moderately well-known Silicon Valley company SurveyMonkey, but better known as the husband of Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg, allegedly died at age 47 completely unexpectedly in a freak accident in Mexico on Friday May 1, 2015. He was discovered by his brother in the gym at a Mexican resort that evening where he and his family were staying; he apparently slipped off a treadmill causing a gash in the lower back of his head. Mexican authorities said the autopsy ruled out foul play so they did not pursue a criminal investigation.

It was implied that Dave Goldberg was buried in the vicinity of Stanford, California the following Tuesday, May 5 (two business days later), which is near his home in Menlo Park and work in Palo Alto. On that Tuesday, there was an invitation-only mid-day ceremony for friends and “luminaries” of Silicon Valley at a “packed” 1700-seat Stanford Memorial Auditorium (not Church). Bono was there and performed the hit U2 song “One,” and the representatives of Walt Disney Company (Sheryl Sandberg is on Disney’s Board of Directors) rescheduled their financial results release from the afternoon to 5:00 AM California time “to allow us to attend the funeral”. The service had several reported peculiarities: men were asked not to wear ties (Dave was said to have hated ties); guests were given Minnesota Vikings hats (he was a fan of the team) and playing cards with Dave Goldberg’s initials on them (he loved playing poker). It has not been reported where Goldberg was buried and the only attestation that he was buried at all comes from a passing reference in Facebook posted at 4:05 PM California Time by his wife saying “As we put the love of my life to rest today, we buried only his body.” (Sandberg was quoted in the New York Times as saying the same thing but [st]with “bury”[/st] in the present future [EDIT: see note] tense at the memorial itself, so the burial would have been some time between noon and 4:05.)

Note: The word “bury” was not used in the New York Times quote, and the future tense was used: “Today we will put the love of my life to rest, but only his body.”

Questions regarding the Dave Goldberg story

On the accident and (lack of) investigation
  1. How could they possibly have ruled out foul play? What would have been different if he had struck from behind while running on the treadmill?
  2. If he slipped on a treadmill and hit the machine, wouldn’t he have more likely hit the front of his head, not the back? The conveyor would have been moving his feet backward, so if he lost his balance he would have fallen forward. And if he did manage to fall backward he would have hit the floor, not the machine.
  3. Shouldn’t there at least have been an investigation of the operating condition of the treadmill?
  4. If you’re going on vacation at a Mexican resort, why go on a treadmill in the first place? Why not take a walk on the beach?
On the memorial service
  1. Why and how did they get 1700 people to come to the service in the middle of a weekday on a campus at a time when there’s no free parking for visitors, and with only a few days’ notice, and inconveniencing the Disney financial team? Why not wait a week or so and do it in the evening or the weekend when people are more available and there’s free parking, as was done with Steve Jobs’s memorial service?
  2. Where did they get the (hundreds of?) packs of specially monogrammed playing cards at such a short notice?
  3. Ditto for the Minnesota Vikings paraphernalia.
  4. It is said that celebrities Bono, George Lucas and Ben Affleck attended the memorial. How do we know they attended? No sources are given in the reports and there are no pictures of them entering or exiting the auditorium (in contrast, we do see pictures of CEO celebrities such as HP CEO Meg Whitman and other lesser known Silicon Valley execs).
  5. The story is that Bono sang the song “One.” Why that song? Far from an “anthem to love and support” as claimed in a Reuters article, this sarcastic, spiteful song has got to be one of the most inappropriate songs for a memorial service. Here are some of the lyrics:
    Is it getting better, or do you feel the same?
    Will it make it easier on you, now you got someone to blame
    Did I ask too much, more than a lot
    You gave me nothing, now it's all I got
    We're one, but we're not the same
    Well we hurt each other, then we do it again
    You say love is a temple, love a higher law
    Love is a temple, love the higher law.
    You ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl
    And I can't be holding on to what you got, when all you got is hurt
MrSinclair

Unread post by MrSinclair »

The more you present on this subject the less likely this guy seems.
Apparently the widow Sandberg released a major statement about her life and his death today.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sheryl-sand ... -goldberg/
Undoctored

Thanks, Mr. Sinclair, for bringing Sheryl's latest post on the subject to my attention. Here’s the direct link to the Facebook post mentioned in the article:

https://www.facebook.com/sheryl/posts/10155617891025177

Sheryl informs us that she has completed Judaism’s 30-day mourning period, sheloshim, but it feels to her like she’s been mourning for thirty years.
Sheryl Goldberg wrote: I have lived thirty years in these thirty days. I am thirty years sadder. I feel like I am thirty years wiser.
“Thirty years... thirty years... thirty years...” that got me thinking. What is the significance of thirty years? Well, what if it were true that she actually had been mourning for 30 years? In that case, what might she have been mourning? What happened in 1985? <_<

Well, that was the year Back to the Future came out, itself featuring a trip back in time 30 years. Suggestive, but not really what I was wanting to find.

I also remembered that was the summer of the New Coke debacle. No connection there that I could see.

So I checked various “this year in history, 1985” sites to see if there had been any important death or otherwise tragic event that year.

Well, it turns out the day of Dave Goldberg’s supposed burial, May 5, the first day of Sheryl’s sheloshim, was the 30th anniversary of President Reagan’s visit to the cemetery at Bitburg, Germany, which drew protests because SS officers were buried there. So, cemetery theme there. But significantly not a Jewish cemetery. Could this be a statement about no Jew being buried? :ph34r: Fine, perhaps I’m reading too much into these things.

But what happened 30 years before the end of sheloshim, the day that Sheryl made that “thirty years” statement? That would have been June 3. Couldn’t find anything for that date, but on June 6 there was another famous visit to a cemetery where an SS officer was buried, wherein Josef Mengele’s remains were exhumed in Brazil. Hey, wasn’t Dave Goldberg’s autopsy in a Latin American country too? :ph34r: But what does it mean? Am I really on to something, or by the mere fact of my making these comparisons, have I in fact just lost the argument? :P

Hold on, we’re not done yet!

Let us review: a Jewish American married couple went abroad on vacation, and the husband died after an assault to the head.

It was reported that this happened in 2015, but also in 1985, on the cruise ship MS Achille Lauro. Leon Klinghoffer and his wife were on board when terrorists reportedly hijacked the ship, shot the man in the head, and threw him overboard. His body was recovered and returned to his home town, where he was given a proper burial after a funeral where hundreds attended.

Coincidence? Or Classic Formula?
:ph34r: